The Student Room Group

AEA June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
The merit = 23 and distinction = 27 thing shows points accrued by your school/college for league tables.

Strange that they get points for me doing well in AEA when I did all the prep myself and I had to pay for it >.>
Original post by SmileyGurl13
Strange that they get points for me doing well in AEA when I did all the prep myself and I had to pay for it >.>

Quite mean of them to charge but money must be tight. The AEA does not attract any funding for your school/college as it supposedly "does not require any additional teaching content over the usual A level delivery".
Original post by Mr M
Quite mean of them to charge but money must be tight. The AEA does not attract any funding for your school/college as it supposedly "does not require any additional teaching content over the usual A level delivery".

To be fair I had to pay it cos I was late...

I was just feeling bitter, haha. :/
Reply 323
To be fair I had to pay it cos I was late...

I was just feeling bitter, haha. :/

I entered well early, and I still had to pay:angry: On the good side, the result you got must have made it worth it!
Original post by M1K3
I entered well early, and I still had to pay:angry: On the good side, the result you got must have made it worth it!

Definitely!! I wasn't expected it either so it made it an even better result - how did you do? :smile:
Reply 325
Definitely!! I wasn't expected it either so it made it an even better result - how did you do? :smile:

I got a completely unexpected Distinction:biggrin:, if i knew the people who set those nice grade boundaries(relative to 2010), they would be on my christmas card list as I probably scraped it by a few marks (I think I got 66 and then the rest was down to style marks).

So, Definitely worth the £40!
To the people who had to pay - was it part of your university offers? If so that's a bit shocking how they asked for you to pay.
Original post by matt2k8
To the people who had to pay - was it part of your university offers? If so that's a bit shocking how they asked for you to pay.

Because I was late in entering I had to pay the extra money that it cost and they paid the rest which was definitely fair as it was my fault I was late :smile: I was just in a bitter mood before haha :smile:
Original post by M1K3

Wow that's well good! Congratz :biggrin: I reckon I scrapped a merit lol! I emailed the exams people at school in fact to ask my mark! I was expecting two U's in step 1 and AEA, I genuinely was, and I got a 2 and a merit so I was over the moon! Where are you off to uni? :smile:
Reply 329
Wow that's well good! Congratz :biggrin: I reckon I scrapped a merit lol! I emailed the exams people at school in fact to ask my mark! I was expecting two U's in step 1 and AEA, I genuinely was, and I got a 2 and a merit so I was over the moon! Where are you off to uni? :smile:

I'm applying this year, I so badly want to go and do Maths at Warwick! tho, ive only just been looking at pictures of the uni on their website/google:biggrin:, gonna pop down to their open day on the 24th sept (One week after my 18th :woo: )

Which uni are you goin to?You doin Maths? :smile:
Reply 330

Major Congratz on the 2 in STEP1 as well :clap2:
Reply 331
Original post by matt2k8

Did it in yr12, gonna be in yr13. I think there was some guy in my college who paid for STEPI and II, he had an offer from warwick but im not sure whether he firmed them or not.
Original post by M1K3
Major Congratz on the 2 in STEP1 as well :clap2:

Wow even bigger congratz as you're in year 12 :redface: you'll definitely get into Warwick :biggrin: you've already made the AEA/step part which is the hardest bit! I don't think they'll change the offer as it seems not as many people made the offer as they needed and so let people in who didn't quite make it which I think is rare! I'm going to Warwick to do Maths and Statistics :biggrin:
Reply 333
Wow even bigger congratz as you're in year 12 :redface: you'll definitely get into Warwick :biggrin: you've already made the AEA/step part which is the hardest bit! I don't think they'll change the offer as it seems not as many people made the offer as they needed and so let people in who didn't quite make it which I think is rare! I'm going to Warwick to do Maths and Statistics :biggrin:

Who do you know that's been let in with near misses? If so, by how much?

Warwick's intake alternates:

In 2008 they had too many make the offer of AAA so they upped it to needing a 2/Merit for 2009.
In 2009 they didn't have enough make the offer so they picked some of the near-misses based on their C4 score (a hardish module that all A level applicants had done)
In 2010 too many made the offer so they upped it again.
If they had to let in some near-misses this year, do you know what criterion they used this time?
Original post by tiny hobbit
If they had to let in some near-misses this year, do you know what criterion they used this time?
I have no better knowledge than you, but I'd expect it to be a combination of UMS (on C4 and possibly others) and the raw STEP score, with emphasis on the latter.
Reply 336

Yeah I hope they keep the same offer for 2012:biggrin: I might not even have to do STEP :woo:, tho i probably will, just won't prepare as hard as if i needed it for an offer. All the best for your degree!!! (I really wish I was going in this year:frown:)
Original post by DFranklin
I have no better knowledge than you, but I'd expect it to be a combination of UMS (on C4 and possibly others) and the raw STEP score, with emphasis on the latter.

I know it was the C4 score two years ago. It was the only exam that all A level candidates had taken, since some had not done FM, some had done AEA and others had done STEP.

It seems unlikely that there would have been applicants doing AEA but not STEP this year, given the choice of a 2 or a Distinction to get in.

I may find out in a couple of weeks, in which case I'll let you know.
Original post by DFranklin

Hmm, this is a bit devastating for my friend. He got A*A*A 3, with only 4 marks from a 2.

However, the results showed up as A*A*B, which is why Bath initially rejected him and he's had to go about getting the B cashed in as an A, and only really 'got in' to Bath yesterday.

I'm just wondering if, had his results shown up as A*A*A when Warwick recieved them, they would have taken him. :/
Original post by AnonyMatt
I'm just wondering if, had his results shown up as A*A*A when Warwick recieved them, they would have taken him. :/

Possibly, but it's also possible that they might not have.

I know of someone that got in to Warwick this year with A*AA3 (No AEA either) but, on the other hand, I know someone that managed A*AA* (A* in non-maths subject) + a grade 2 in STEP (3 marks off a 1) that was turned down by Warwick on results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending