Which Unis should I apply to for Economics FAQ: The Econ uni Application Guide

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys got my results yesterday

I got:
A for Maths
B for Economics
B for German
D for Physics

Now, the thing is both of my strongest subjects were Bs with both of them being 158/200 UMS so essentially 2 UMS from an A. I will be predicted AAA/A*AA but will the fact that I got a B in economics and a B in german disadvantage me with the likes of Nottingham/Bristol to study Economics with German/year abroad in German???

Obviously its all very subjective blah blah blah I need things beside my academics but do I have a realistic chance?

I've posted this in another thread but didnt get much of a reply, as of yet..
Reply 781
Original post by -Illmatic-
Hey guys got my results yesterday

I got:
A for Maths
B for Economics
B for German
D for Physics

Now, the thing is both of my strongest subjects were Bs with both of them being 158/200 UMS so essentially 2 UMS from an A. I will be predicted AAA/A*AA but will the fact that I got a B in economics and a B in german disadvantage me with the likes of Nottingham/Bristol to study Economics with German/year abroad in German???

Obviously its all very subjective blah blah blah I need things beside my academics but do I have a realistic chance?

I've posted this in another thread but didnt get much of a reply, as of yet..

I'm assuming they're your AS results? And if they are you are going to retake them to get an A?
Original post by Deshi
I'm assuming they're your AS results? And if they are you are going to retake them to get an A?

well I'm considering remarking both economics and german to get that 2 UMS which could put me in a good position i.e AAAD
Reply 783
well I'm considering remarking both economics and german to get that 2 UMS which could put me in a good position i.e AAAD

Hmm was just looking through some of my rejection feedback e-mails from Uni's from last year and only one specifically mentioned my B at AS Economics a reason, despite me resitting in January and getting an A, that was Bath. And considering Nottingham and Bristol are better, I have a feeling that it might hinder your chances a bit. But if you have good GCSE's/Work Experience/personal statement you could very well have a chance, so don't let this discourage you from applying!

This is the e-mail from Bath...

Spoiler

Original post by Deshi
Hmm was just looking through some of my rejection feedback e-mails from Uni's from last year and only one specifically mentioned my B at AS Economics a reason, despite me resitting in January and getting an A, that was Bath. And considering Nottingham and Bristol are better, I have a feeling that it might hinder your chances a bit. But if you have good GCSE's/Work Experience/personal statement you could very well have a chance, so don't let this discourage you from applying!

This is the e-mail from Bath...

Spoiler

So in other words, Notts and Bristol may be very risky for me...even if I get predicted AAA/A*AA?

Where are you studying now? Thanks for the help, anyway :smile:
Reply 785
So in other words, Notts and Bristol may be very risky for me...even if I get predicted AAA/A*AA?

I would say so. I was predicted straight A's, and got better AS results. But then again I had pretty bad GCSE's and no work experience, so as I said before, I think you should still give at least one of those a shot. My feedback from Bristol doesn't contain anything useful otherwise I would have posted that as well. But anyway, good luck :yy:

Where are you studying now? Thanks for the help, anyway :smile:

I'm about to start my second year studying Economics at Southampton :smile:
Original post by Deshi
I would say so. I was predicted straight A's, and got better AS results. But then again I had pretty bad GCSE's and no work experience, so as I said before, I think you should still give at least one of those a shot. My feedback from Bristol doesn't contain anything useful otherwise I would have posted that as well. But anyway, good luck :yy:

Thanks for that :yy: good luck with your studies at Soton!
Reply 787
what 5 should i apply for?
Since I have to declare my grades in UCAS this year does this mean that they would give me a straight rejection seeing as I achieved ABBCD but am predicted AAAB
Reply 789
Original post by Imperial Blitz
Since I have to declare my grades in UCAS this year does this mean that they would give me a straight rejection seeing as I achieved ABBCD but am predicted AAAB

Is it possible to not declare your grades? Are you resitting any modules? If so, wouldn't these come up as pending?
Reply 790
Hi guys, I am new to TSR but I really need some help deciding on my university choices.

My grade are as follows:
GCSE : 5A*, 5A's, 1B
AS : AAA (Maths- 251/300 , Computing-160/200 and Economics-186/200)
A-Level : A* (ICT- 369/400).

My prelim list of Uni's I wish to apply to are (in order of pref):
Cambridge
Warwick
UCL
Durham
Bath/Bristol

I feel this is too ambitious and I am unsure about my chances in UCL. I think Warwick and Cambridge are worth the risk, however UCL has an oppurtunity cost of a backup option such as Exeter. Also I visited both Bath and Bristol and I still cannot make up my mind! I am looking for a university with a world class reputation to enhance my job prospects and a good nightlife experience. I would extremely appreciate any help :biggrin:.
Reply 791
Made a twitter account following key economics people and will be constantly retweeting posts, if anyone wants to keep up with latest economics then follow!

http://twitter.com/#!/FdEconomics
Reply 792
Original post by Yash13
Hi guys, I am new to TSR but I really need some help deciding on my university choices.

My grade are as follows:
GCSE : 5A*, 5A's, 1B
AS : AAA (Maths- 251/300 , Computing-160/200 and Economics-186/200)
A-Level : A* (ICT- 369/400).

My prelim list of Uni's I wish to apply to are (in order of pref):
Cambridge
Warwick
UCL
Durham
Bath/Bristol

I feel this is too ambitious and I am unsure about my chances in UCL. I think Warwick and Cambridge are worth the risk, however UCL has an oppurtunity cost of a backup option such as Exeter. Also I visited both Bath and Bristol and I still cannot make up my mind! I am looking for a university with a world class reputation to enhance my job prospects and a good nightlife experience. I would extremely appreciate any help :biggrin:.

UCL want an A* in Maths so that's risky. And your choices in general are risky as they're all A*AA. im applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Durham and York (AAA-AAB)

My grade are:
GCSE : 7A*, 3A's, 1B
A2 predictions 3A*A (*in maths, economics, physics and A in FM)

Maths 456/500, 272/300 Physics and 195/200 in Economics and 180/200 in English Lit (dropped)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 793
Can I do Economics at a top uni with these A-Levels?

Maths - A
Economics - A
Psychology - A

Sociology - dropping it for A2

GCSE: 4A*s, Rest B's
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 794
Psychology is considered a semi-soft subject at A-level. I haven't a clue if it will be a detriment your application, though.
My current track record:
10A*s at GCSE
AS's as follows:
Economics - A (low A therefore predicted an A)
Maths - A at A2 (2 UMS off and retaking C4 in Jan, so school predicted A*)
Further Maths (predicted A)
Geography - A (practically full UMS, predicted A*)
Crit Think AS - A
So, thats 4As at AS, hopefully with another to come as I sit FM AS in Jan, and A*A*AA prediction.

I've had some great work experience at banks, been on taster courses, read a few reputable economics books and some popeconomics books. I am on the school Target 2.0 team. (My teachers think my PS is fine as it is, but we'll se what the PS Helpers say about that! :P)
Are my uni choices too ambitious?

Oxford LN12 - AAA
UCL L101 - A*A*A (usually A*AA but as I didn't get maths A* in first sitting I'll need an A* in my maths resit and another A* in the first sitting of any other subject)
Birmingham L100 - AAA
Nottingham L100 - A*ABB
Newcastle L100 - AAB
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 796
Please will someone give me some advise.
GCSE/IGCSE: 9A*s 2A
AS: AAAAA in Economics Spanish Biology French Maths
A2 predictions: Spanish (A*) Economics (A) maths (A*) french (A*)

Is it a huge disadvantage not having further maths, is it also bad that i don't have a A* prediction in economics. I think I'm applying to Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol and Newcastle.

Thanks for any help.
Original post by alicatee

Is it a huge disadvantage not having further maths, is it also bad that i don't have a A* prediction in economics. I think I'm applying to Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol and Newcastle.

Thanks for any help.

Lol for where you are applying , you will get an offer, im not even an admissions tutor and I could say confidently yes. I take it that warwick must be your 1st choice. Ever considered UCL aswell?
Reply 798
Original post by Bright Lights
My current track record:
10A*s at GCSE
AS's as follows:
Economics - A (low A therefore predicted an A)
Maths - A at A2 (2 UMS off and retaking C4 in Jan, so school predicted A*)
Further Maths (predicted A)
Geography - A (practically full UMS, predicted A*)
Crit Think AS - A
So, thats 4As at AS, hopefully with another to come as I sit FM AS in Jan, and A*A*AA prediction.

I've had some great work experience at banks, been on taster courses, read a few reputable economics books and some popeconomics books. I am on the school Target 2.0 team. (My teachers think my PS is fine as it is, but we'll se what the PS Helpers say about that! :P)
Are my uni choices too ambitious?

Oxford LN12 - AAA
UCL L101 - A*A*A (usually A*AA but as I didn't get maths A* in first sitting I'll need an A* in my maths resit and another A* in the first sitting of any other subject)
Birmingham L100 - AAA
Nottingham L100 - A*ABB
Newcastle L100 - AAB

Original post by alicatee

Thanks for any help.

You both should be fine, with those grades I'm 99.9% sure you'll get an offer from Newcastle, and you have a decent chance with your other options - however nothing is certain for your top four choices as they are really competitive.
Reply 799
Original post by falcon pluse
Lol for where you are applying , you will get an offer, im not even an admissions tutor and I could say confidently yes. I take it that warwick must be your 1st choice. Ever considered UCL aswell?

i can't be bothered to interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending