The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
May I just ask why you have to sit a TOEFL? It this procedure for all applicants, or is English not your first language etc?
Original post by gumball
May I just ask why you have to sit a TOEFL? It this procedure for all applicants, or is English not your first language etc?

It is a requirement for all applicants who come from non-English speaking countries.
Reply 22
Original post by olympus123456
It is a requirement for all applicants who come from non-English speaking countries.

I thought that might be the case. I was wondering if they were re-testing English for English people for some reason.

Not being nosy - I'm considering applying for post-docs in America, and was wondering if I'd possibly have to do one.
Original post by gumball
I thought that might be the case. I was wondering if they were re-testing English for English people for some reason.

Not being nosy - I'm considering applying for post-docs in America, and was wondering if I'd possibly have to do one.

I don't know about it. Best is to check with the respective Embassy.
Reply 24
Just to add a point about the recommendations: US universities place a LOT of emphasis on letters of recommendation. Remember that everyone applying to the ivies, MIT, Stanford etc has excellent grades. So the point about your referees not knowing you well if you apply early is a very important one.

Edit: you might find these forums useful:
http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/4-applications/
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/graduate-school/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Hi...I m also in the same situation...I hav applied MS CS in Edinburgh....my course wil srt from sept 2011...but i want to persue PHD from US...is it convenient to srt PHD from 2012 or its better to srt it from 2013?
Original post by CS_11
Hi...I m also in the same situation...I hav applied MS CS in Edinburgh....my course wil srt from sept 2011...but i want to persue PHD from US...is it convenient to srt PHD from 2012 or its better to srt it from 2013?

2013 would be better option.
Reply 27
Do i need to give Toefl while cuming frm UK....or IELTS wil wrk? wht should be the gre score to get within top 20 schools in us?
Original post by CS_11
Do i need to give Toefl while cuming frm UK....or IELTS wil wrk? wht should be the gre score to get within top 20 schools in us?

If you have IELTS its fine. Minimum GRE score I would say should be 1200.
Reply 29
ehy guys, I'm in the same situation... just a little bit more complicate :biggrin:

I took my bachelor in Italy and I'm gonna take my MRes in UK, then I would like to take the PhD in USA. The problem I have is that I know the deadlines for PhDs in USA's universities are in December and I'll finish the Master in UK during September 2013 so I can applicate for year 2014 but my question is: are all the USA's PhDs starting in August/september? Because in this case I would lost an year.
Anyhow my study field is biology if it could help to answer me.

Thank you
Original post by Shotokhan
ehy guys, I'm in the same situation... just a little bit more complicate :biggrin:

I took my bachelor in Italy and I'm gonna take my MRes in UK, then I would like to take the PhD in USA. The problem I have is that I know the deadlines for PhDs in USA's universities are in December and I'll finish the Master in UK during September 2013 so I can applicate for year 2014 but my question is: are all the USA's PhDs starting in August/september? Because in this case I would lost an year.
Anyhow my study field is biology if it could help to answer me.

Thank you

Hey I was in this situation last year. But I learnt alot and made alot of mistakes because of lack of guidance, so I hope my experience befits you. Firstly, if you want to do PhD in US then you can apply for PhD without Master's degree. What happens in this case is if you are rejected for PhD, the least is they will offer you Master's and while you do you master's you can apply back for PhD.

Secondly, since you are starting in MRes in UK this year, I suggest you take GRE in August or September and apply for PhD by the end of this year, ie 2012. So you won't have to wait a year.

Thirdly, most universities start their PhD program in august/sept. but very few start in January/Feb.

Hope it helps you.
Reply 31
Hey I was in this situation last year. But I learnt alot and made alot of mistakes because of lack of guidance, so I hope my experience befits you. Firstly, if you want to do PhD in US then you can apply for PhD without Master's degree. What happens in this case is if you are rejected for PhD, the least is they will offer you Master's and while you do you master's you can apply back for PhD.

Secondly, since you are starting in MRes in UK this year, I suggest you take GRE in August or September and apply for PhD by the end of this year, ie 2012. So you won't have to wait a year.

Thirdly, most universities start their PhD program in august/sept. but very few start in January/Feb.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks for your quick reply, I always think I should do a blog with all the information I collected in this year which can help someone else... for example now I'm facing another unusual problem of Italian burocrazy :s-smilie: , by the way let's focus on this problem :biggrin:

I preferred to do the MRes in UK for several reason, first of all because I want to have a good background for my future researches and also because I think/hope that it's easier being admitted in USA with these steps and a Master took in a high profile English University (I'm going to Manchester University).

I wanna focus on your second point, I've already thought to do GRE and in case the TOEFL during my staying in UK and these should be easier because my command of english will improve in England (GRE do has a language part) but the problem is that I also need the reference letters to apply within December 2012 in order to start PhD in September 2013. If I start in September what Professor could write to me a good letter?
How did you solve the problem?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Shotokhan
Thanks for your quick reply, I always think I should do a blog with all the information I collected in this year which can help someone else... for example now I'm facing another unusual problem of Italian burocrazy :s-smilie: , by the way let's focus on this problem :biggrin:

I preferred to do the MRes in UK for several reason, first of all because I want to have a good background for my future researches and also because I think/hope that it's easier being admitted in USA with these steps and a Master took in a high profile English University (I'm going to Manchester University).

I wanna focus on your second point, I've already thought to do GRE and in case the TOEFL during my staying in UK and these should be easier because my command of english will improve in England (GRE do has a language part) but the problem is that I also need the reference letters to apply within December 2012 in order to start PhD in September 2013. If I start in September what Professor could write to me a good letter?
How did you solve the problem?
Thank you :smile:

Ya you may want to have two references from manchester and one from your old university. It probably best to tell them your plans so they can analyze you and write worthy reference.
Hi everyone.

Has anyone applied and got admitted for PhD in US after studying Master's in UK ?

I will be doing Master's in UK this Fall and want to apply for PhD in US so I started studying my GRE since I need to apply for admission for 2012 this year itself.

The program will end in July or August and I am not sure if American universities will accept my final transcript that late.

Any suggestions or guidance is very much appreciated and Thank you in advance.

Dear Olympus its been a long time since you posted this, I am doing the same path , just wondering how things worked out for you?
Hi everyone.

Has anyone applied and got admitted for PhD in US after studying Master's in UK ?

I will be doing Master's in UK this Fall and want to apply for PhD in US so I started studying my GRE since I need to apply for admission for 2012 this year itself.

The program will end in July or August and I am not sure if American universities will accept my final transcript that late.

Any suggestions or guidance is very much appreciated and Thank you in advance.

I am currently in my final year and am planning to apply for masters. I was planning the same thing that is to get a (taught) Masters from one of the universities in the UK and then pursue my PhD from the US. I am an Indian, I have both my GRE and Toefl score. I wanted to know, how did you go ahead, that is whether you took a year gap or went with a 3-month acquaintance recommendation. Please do reply as early as possible, since my decision to select universities for masters depends on this particular query.
Original post by my200763
Dear Olympus its been a long time since you posted this, I am doing the same path , just wondering how things worked out for you?

Hi,
I am wondering the same..
I am in a dilemma. Please help me out. I was very excited when I found out that in Uk masters are of one year but now I am scared to apply there since I am sure that I want my PhD from US and I don't want to risk another year gap.
What did you finally do in the end?
Did you take a year gap or you continued your education in a smooth stream-lined fashion?

Latest

Trending

Trending