The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingam
im in same situation as you but didnt resit bio 1 i have got the same ums in bio 1 and 2 what a joke haha , will hoepfully get A In bio 2 in jan

I will be back though, Biology has not seen the last off me :colone:
On my results it says I recieved 110 marks and i got a B, does anyone know what this means in terms of how close i was to an A?
Original post by ellen-marie1992
On my results it says I recieved 110 marks and i got a B, does anyone know what this means in terms of how close i was to an A?

you didnt get 110 marks you got 110 ums, if you check on the aqa ums converter

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

112 ums is for an A (61 raw marks) and you got 110 ums which is 60 marks.............................. dun dun DUN !!! you were one mark off an A, well done still !! what was you overall grade ??

i got a C so im gonna retake biol1, i need 14 ums to get a B overall for AS then i plan on doing really well for biol4 and biol5
does anyone have the paper?
Original post by James A
you didnt get 110 marks you got 110 ums, if you check on the aqa ums converter

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

112 ums is for an A (61 raw marks) and you got 110 ums which is 60 marks.............................. dun dun DUN !!! you were one mark off an A, well done still !! what was you overall grade ??

i got a C so im gonna retake biol1, i need 14 ums to get a B overall for AS then i plan on doing really well for biol4 and biol5

- thank you so much! that is fricking annoying. I was only 1 mark of an A in my Biology A2 too, grr not sure whether to get it remarked but doubt it'll go up.
Do you guys think I should remark my Biology papers, I was 4 UMS of a B which is like 2 marks, i just want to be predicted an A and I have a feeling my teachers wont because I got a C.

In Biol 1 i got 72/100 B
In Biol 2 I got 92/140 C
in Biol3X I got 42/60 B

Worth a remark, I got nothing to lose right? :smile:
Original post by raveen789
Do you guys think I should remark my Biology papers, I was 4 UMS of a B which is like 2 marks, i just want to be predicted an A and I have a feeling my teachers wont because I got a C.

In Biol 1 i got 72/100 B
In Biol 2 I got 92/140 C
in Biol3X I got 42/60 B

Worth a remark, I got nothing to lose right? :smile:

i got 54 / 100 for biol1 ( i dont understand how because my answers were precisely to the mark scheme as AQA tend to have loads of questions repeating themselves every year) and yet i got 100/140 for biol2, it doesnt make sense at all.

my coursework was fourty something, cant remember from the top of my head but im gonna request the original marking script to see where i lost the marks, then use that as revision for the summer where i will be boosting my ums in biol1 to secure a B

i want an A in maths, A in chemistry and B in biology

AAB for pharmacy =)

what course do you wanna do?
Original post by James A
i got 54 / 100 for biol1 ( i dont understand how because my answers were precisely to the mark scheme as AQA tend to have loads of questions repeating themselves every year) and yet i got 100/140 for biol2, it doesnt make sense at all.

my coursework was fourty something, cant remember from the top of my head but im gonna request the original marking script to see where i lost the marks, then use that as revision for the summer where i will be boosting my ums in biol1 to secure a B

i want an A in maths, A in chemistry and B in biology

AAB for pharmacy =)

what course do you wanna do?

In all honesty I want to do medicine and I am not prepared to give up until the very end were by if i get AAB and not AAA then I am officially screwed and I will do Optometry I hope! and then use that degree to get back into medicine! if not then at least I can fall back on a good career being an optician and which I would enjoy. I like patient contact :biggrin:

On another note I feel the same as you this time in addition to revising the actual material and knowledge I also revised mark schemes and remembered standard answers for example, "how should the control group be treated?" The control group should be treated exactly the same as the experimental group and undergo the same conditions other then being given X (1 mark) and instead should be given a placebo where as the experimental group should be given.... X (and not the placebo) (1 mark). That's a standard answer yet again I have no F*cking clue were I went wrong!!! :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
In all honesty I want to do medicine and I am not prepared to give up until the very end were by if i get AAB and not AAA then I am officially screwed and I will do Optometry I hope! and then use that degree to get back into medicine! if not then at least I can fall back on a good career being an optician and which I would enjoy. I like patient contact :biggrin:

On another note I feel the same as you this time in addition to revising the actual material and knowledge I also revised mark schemes and remembered standard answers for example, "how should the control group be treated?" The control group should be treated exactly the same as the experimental group and undergo the same conditions other then being given X (1 mark) and instead should be given a placebo where as the experimental group should be given.... X (and not the placebo) (1 mark). That's a standard answer yet again I have no F*cking clue were I went wrong!!! :angry:

I totally understand your frustration. I did Unit 1 bio and got 68 ums! Was highly frustrated even though most of the questions were repeated (infact 80% of the paper)

On another note I feel the same as you this time in addition to revising the actual material and knowledge I also revised mark schemes and remembered standard answers for example, "how should the control group be treated?" The control group should be treated exactly the same as the experimental group and undergo the same conditions (1 mark) except they should also be given a placebo were as the experimental group should be given.... (1 mark). That's a standard answer yet again I have no F*cking clue were I went wrong!!! :angry:

exactly!!! you have to bear in mind the exam boards have been making stupid errors like putting in impossible questions on particular papers,. i would not be surprised if we were unlucky to get examiners who didn't do their job thoroughly. if i were an examiner i would make sure i do my job well because someones future could rest in my hands.

back to my reply, yes, im planning on getting my original paper script back to see exactly where i lost my marks for paper 1, in my opinion you should retake biol1 as it is the shorter of the two modules and the concepts are easy to handle ( well not in our cases because of the stupidddd examiners that downgrade us, no matter what we do:frown:)

having said that i havent seen anyone from results day in my biology class so who knows maybe my whole class got affected.

so yeah ask your exams officer to request a copy of your original script to see where you went wrong, and get advice from your teacher (exactly what im gonna do) and whilst biol1 is fresh in my memory ill be doing the retake this jan.
Original post by EffKayy
I totally understand your frustration. I did Unit 1 bio and got 68 ums! Was highly frustrated even though most of the questions were repeated (infact 80% of the paper)

nail on the hammer mate!!!

you are so right, like 80 percent of the paper was repeated!
Original post by James A
nail on the hammer mate!!!

you are so right, like 80 percent of the paper was repeated!

Urgh.. going to resit this paper now :frown:
Not giving up..I..must...get..an A in JAN!
Original post by EffKayy
Urgh.. going to resit this paper now :frown:
Not giving up..I..must...get..an A in JAN!

havent you spoken to the people in your class about what they got for the paper
Original post by James A
havent you spoken to the people in your class about what they got for the paper

well most of my friends got C's in it. So... not sure.. I really need to get hold of the markscheme!! :frown:
Original post by EffKayy
well most of my friends got C's in it. So... not sure.. I really need to get hold of the markscheme!! :frown:

and were they expecting A's?? if they were then yeah something fishy is going on with AQA
I am also frustrated because loads of people who did bare revision for BIOL 2 still got an A in my class some deserve it and others did **** all (excuse my language) I am deffo retake BIOL 2 and I will get my revision started now along with BIOL 1 because they are still fresh in my mind! I pray that they made a mistake on my paper if not ill work on it! I have to redo BIOL 2 simply because I lost the greatest UMS there, I will also redo my EMPA.

BAH! good luck everyone as well I hope we can show BIOLOGY who we are (determined I hope lol) :biggrin:
I am also frustrated because loads of people who did bare revision for BIOL 2 still got an A in my class some deserve it and others did **** all (excuse my language) I am deffo retake BIOL 2 and I will get my revision started now along with BIOL 1 because they are still fresh in my mind! I pray that they made a mistake on my paper if not ill work on it! I have to redo BIOL 2 simply because I lost the greatest UMS there, I will also redo my EMPA.

BAH! good luck everyone as well I hope we can show BIOLOGY who we are (determined I hope lol) :biggrin:

I am also going to redo my EMPA. I got 40/60 in my empa which equates to 36/50. Previous grade boundaries for the EMPA have been 31 and 33 respectively for an A, but nooo, AQA decided to put it up at 40 this year! Theyre meant to be lower because with ISA's, if the teacher sees that the marks are low for one of the tasks, they can switch and redo it.. then the highest mark counts.
Urgh..
Original post by James A
and were they expecting A's?? if they were then yeah something fishy is going on with AQA

Well they came out of the exam happy so ... :smile:
Will our teachers be able to give the markscheme out when we get back to school?
I'm going to school tommorow to go pay to get priority photocopies for biology.
Also i'm at a loss at how I got 78ums in chemistry when according to the markscheme I got a B minimum so....I dunno what's happened... i'm lost...
Original post by EffKayy
I am also going to redo my EMPA. I got 40/60 in my empa which equates to 36/50. Previous grade boundaries for the EMPA have been 31 and 33 respectively for an A, but nooo, AQA decided to put it up at 40 this year! Theyre meant to be lower because with ISA's, if the teacher sees that the marks are low for one of the tasks, they can switch and redo it.. then the highest mark counts.
Urgh..

Yeah it happened to me in CHEM 2 for the last 4 - 5 CHEM 2 examinations since 2009 it has always been 69-71 for an A I got 72 yet this year AQA of all years decided to feel mint and screw us all over by making the boundary 79/100 for an A :angry: like what the hell why our year! I hope they keep the boundaries low next year. In addition our Chemistry ISA decided to move up in grade boundaries it just pisses me off :frown:
Original post by ellen-marie1992

112 UMS is an A, so you were about 1-3 marks off an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending