The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Goldsmiths firmers - 2011 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by ClaudiaGrace
I almost wept when I saw that it's only the preliminary reading list and another will be sent in September. Been spending my time trawling Oxfam Bookshops :rolleyes:

I'm sticking with Amazon, but it's going to bankrupt my Mum!
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Original post by KeiraC1
I'm sticking with Amazon, but it's going to bankrupt my Mum!

Found the Norton Anthology of Poetry for £12.99 in Blackwells though in case you're interested. I refuse to spend almost £30 on a book aha :biggrin:
Hahaha... £30 for a dictionary too. :K: I'll have to get most of the books second hand or I'll be in my overdraft before the term even starts... Looking through Oxfam is a good idea!
Has anyone started reading yet?
I managed to get a massive Collins dictionary for about £6 in WH Smiths' yesterday as they're on offer - great bargain! I'm reading The Odyssey right now (not entirely sure how I feel about it :s-smilie: rather oddly written/translated with its tangents), and already read a fair bit more (I hope ... it's a long list). But those were mainly down to reading them prior to the list :biggrin:.

Thinking I'll skim read everything else. During dead shifts at work. Bloody Classics. But I hate the awkward conversations I have with customers about why I'm reading Homer or whatever when I work in a Fish & Chip shop (apparently someone came in on Thursday and asked my friend if she knew anyone getting A Level results that day like his son was - as she was 'around his age'. Apparently he got schooled on her 3 A*'s and place at Imperial ahaha. Always weird when someone asks me and they have never heard of Goldsmiths - but excellent when they have!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Needed AAB to get into the English and American Comparative Literature course... Ended up getting ABC, but amazingly they still let me in! The thing I'm worried about is that I've heard absolutely nothing on accommodation yet. I filled out the form way back on the first day it was available to do so, but I haven't had a single reply since. Is this normal? Is anyone else awaiting a reply from accommodation? I really hope they haven't lost my application or anything otherwise finding a place in London in under a month would be very difficult.
Reply 205
Original post by twist.the.illusion
Haha. I'm sorry to disappoint but I'm 25!! However, I've spoken to a couple of 18 year olds via the FB group who are going to be living in Chesterman so I'm sure you're gonna be fine!

P.S. What's wrong with living with the oldies!?

There's nothing wrong with it, I'd just feel a bit weird surrounded by people more wise than me haha :wink:
Reply 206
Original post by KeiraC1
I'm in Chesterman! and my 18th was only 9 days ago, so I wouldn't worry :biggrin:

Good. Thanks for the reassurance :biggrin:
Original post by l'anglais
There's nothing wrong with it, I'd just feel a bit weird surrounded by people more wise than me haha :wink:

Good save :tongue:
Reply 208
Original post by l'anglais
Anyone else in Chesterman House? I was hoping for a place in Loring Hall but never mind, it'll be good anyway :smile:

Yo Chesterman here as well. I was a bit disappointed at not getting Loring too but I think Chesterman's been changed to all undergrads this year. I turned 19 last week btw
Reply 209
Anybody studying politics and/or living in Surrey house annexe? Beginning to think I'm the only one :tongue:
Reply 210
I'm doing English. How far are people with the reading list? Or how much are people planning on reading before uni starts?
Reply 211
is anyone doing English & History ?
Reply 212
Ah you legends! I was literally just about to buy the really expensive copy of the Norton book online. I got all the EN51001A of my first term books on Amazon though :smile: £30! Still need to buy the ones for Approaches to text though.

Loring Hall and studying BA English!
Original post by ClaudiaGrace
Found the Norton Anthology of Poetry for £12.99 in Blackwells though in case you're interested. I refuse to spend almost £30 on a book aha :biggrin:

Blackwells's online shop have two copies of the anthology, but the cheaper one has no image.. why is that version cheaper if they are supposed to be the same thing?

Is the cheaper one the abridged, shorter version? it weighs less, (Weight (grammes) 254 ) compared to Weight (grammes) 1407, so I was curious. have you received your copy yet?
Original post by tinycrazybug
Blackwells's online shop have two copies of the anthology, but the cheaper one has no image.. why is that version cheaper if they are supposed to be the same thing?

Is the cheaper one the abridged, shorter version? it weighs less, (Weight (grammes) 254 ) compared to Weight (grammes) 1407, so I was curious. have you received your copy yet?

I'm only doing half the Poetry course as I'm doing English with Creative Writing, and I haven't ordered it yet since the course starts for me in the spring. I'd assume it's paperback but in all honesty I have no idea :s-smilie:

Also, does anyone know if there's a used book sale during freshers as I've heard other unis do them - like, the second and third years, and the departments sell off used books to first years etc? I've only got what I need for the Explorations in Literature course and a bit of the reccomended reading the the CW workshop and well, yeah. Money. Think I'm working my way through what I've got pretty well though, I hope.
Reply 215
Has anyone else been unsuccessful in getting accommodation? Feeling a bit lost here...
Reply 216
you're all gonna have the best year of your lives !!!
Original post by Lexie_27
Has anyone else been unsuccessful in getting accommodation? Feeling a bit lost here...

Me! Where are you coming from?
me too! should we think about houseshare?
Original post by karavictoria
me too! should we think about houseshare?

That's an option. For about 3 weeks I've been looking for a house to rent with 3 other people but it's not going well at all. I'm starting to think finding a spare room would be easier than finding a house but then I could be wrong. I'm getting a bit worried :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending