The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the_alybot
When you emailed each of these unis what did you say and what was each of their responses? (Obviously I intend to submit my own enquiries, I'd just like an indicator of what they'd say :smile:) Are they willing to consider applicants that resit some of their exams? Thing is I go 3 Cs - let me break it down for you, I did 10 exams and 7 of which I got As in and the 3 terminal exams I did I got a DEE in Biology, English Language and Chemistry respectively, so understandably they pulled my overall grades down, do you reckon they'd still consider me?

Hi just explained my situation and my grades.. and asked if they would accept my application as a resit applicant. They only want to know your overall A2 grades, Manchester will require you to have AAB and I think Peninsula too before you resit. Liverpool, Lancaster and BSMS accept resit applicants. UEA will require you to get A*A*A* after resits.

Start sending our emails, that's the best way of finding out what they think.

Good Luck!
Original post by areyousure?
Hi just explained my situation and my grades.. and asked if they would accept my application as a resit applicant. They only want to know your overall A2 grades, Manchester will require you to have AAB and I think Peninsula too before you resit. Liverpool, Lancaster and BSMS accept resit applicants. UEA will require you to get A*A*A* after resits.

Start sending our emails, that's the best way of finding out what they think.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Some universities accept resits, yes. Keele and UEA as far as I know. Southampton did last year assuming you only needed to resit one exam to get AAA overall. BSMS and PMS, I'm not sure about their policies. Best bet is to contact each individual university to confirm it.

hi there...i'm in exactly the same position as you were last year....1 mark away from an A in chem that went down by 2 marks in the re-mark and now i'm waiting for another re-mark but 3 marks up ums is not likely :frown:. I also have an A* in maths and 1 away from an A* in bio (waiting for a re-mark)...what would you suggest i do? also i went down in my chem practical so should i just re-do that next year, do a lot of volunteer work and reapply? I have already done a lot of medical work experience so i don't think it's worth me doing any more!

Original post by laurenl93
HCA INTERVIEW AT HOSPITAL NEXT WEEK WOOT WOOT :woo: :woo:

My luck is changing :biggrin:
I hope...

How did you apply for one? Ive been looking around for Hospital jobs, but they all want some previous experience :frown:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bambinooo
hi there...i'm in exactly the same position as you were last year....1 mark away from an A in chem that went down by 2 marks in the re-mark and now i'm waiting for another re-mark but 3 marks up ums is not likely :frown:. I also have an A* in maths and 1 away from an A* in bio (waiting for a re-mark)...what would you suggest i do? also i went down in my chem practical so should i just re-do that next year, do a lot of volunteer work and reapply? I have already done a lot of medical work experience so i don't think it's worth me doing any more!

How did you apply for one? Ive been looking around for Hospital jobs, but they all want some previous experience :frown:.

You have A*AA?
If that's the case then I'd reapply.
Original post by joemullally
You have A*AA?
If that's the case then I'd reapply.

no i got A* A and B ....and the the B is one mark from an A ...all i have to do is re-do a chem practical to get an A :frown:...what shall i do...also i had an offer from notts...still waiting from re-mark....btw i have a lot of work exp and a lot of volunteer stuff and now it is just a matter of re-doing UKCAT....is my situation dire? what shall i do? im thinking unis i should apply to are Brighton and sussex, Keele, Manchester and nottingham if the agree since i missed the offer by a mark. Also i was thinking of applying for Neuroscience as a back up at bristol...
no i got A* A and B ....and the the B is one mark from an A ...all i have to do is re-do a chem practical to get an A :frown:...what shall i do...also i had an offer from notts...still waiting from re-mark....btw i have a lot of work exp and a lot of volunteer stuff and now it is just a matter of re-doing UKCAT....is my situation dire? what shall i do? im thinking unis i should apply to are Brighton and sussex, Keele, Manchester and nottingham if the agree since i missed the offer by a mark. Also i was thinking of applying for Neuroscience as a back up at bristol...

apply for a remark
then post your worries here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744129

They're people in the same situation as you.
Get it remarked and hope for the best.
If it doesn't go up then that's life I guess.
If it does then you re-apply for medicine.
Apart from money you've nothing to lose.

Medical schools are unlikely to be lenient but it's worth a shot (advice from someone else would be good too as I've not been in this situation.

But I would definatley get those remarks and hang on in there.
If you were planning a gap anyway just carry on and have the good experience.
I cant be arsed to look for a fourth choice anymore

I feel abused by the fact it was only yesterday i was only starting to recover from my hangover from results on Thursday and now I'm already having to rewrite my PS & choose unis
I cant be arsed to look for a fourth choice anymore

I feel abused by the fact it was only yesterday i was only starting to recover from my hangover from results on Thursday and now I'm already having to rewrite my PS & choose unis

What three you decided on so far?

I dunno i just used my previous med eperience as the experience they were after? haha... Dont worry id applied for 4 before that and heard nadda

Just hope they like me and take me on, i only want it part time though, think i'd kill myself working full time HCA AND work in my pharmacy and find the time somewhere to volunteer and it'd be harder to go out partying when my pals are back from uni :frown: lmao. I may not be going to uni this year but i'm going to 6 different uni's freshers weeks between september and october :wink:

Have you got a job already? i work at a pharmacy training to be a dispenser, i was dead lucky they took me on with no pharmacy qualifications D:

Just regularly rape NHS jobs!

Hey! I've replied to your post on your wall. As for whether or not you should reply, that really is a decision only you can make. Cliche as it is, if you're dead set on medicine and taking a year out for this is something you're willing to do then I'd go for it. There is the addition of raised fees but I wouldn't say that's an issue.

Did you have a back up choice when you applied? I considered graduate entry but realised I'd much rather reapply and take my chances, because if I don't make it the graduate entry option will still be there. And though a year has felt fairly long at times, it isn't in the long run.

Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Wow that must of been tough :redface:
I've kind of got a plan for whatever the outcome of my grades though.
My saving grace is that all of the unis i was planning on applying to anyway (except liverpool i think) will accept an application from me if I only retake one subject/module - need to find out more about this, hopefully i won't need this info but at least it's good to know i may still be able to continue with my gap year. I don't want to rush off to uni just yet lol

It was pretty **** unfortunately. I only had myself to blame mind, since not revising or working through the year much meant I ended up with Es in select modules. :facepalm2:

Liverpool did allow resits last year, not so sure about 2012 entry. Best bet is just to contact every university you're thinking of applying to to see where you stand with them. But, that's fair enough, a break from academia can be good, just make the most of it if that's what you end up doing. :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
A few places same as you me thinks! Think I'm reapplying to Aberdeen and definity St. Andrews. And for the newbies maybe this year Cardiff, Glasgow (if i get a good enough ukcat but i doubt it) or maybe Lancaster :smile: [and haha I also looked at Liverpool and eliminated it for a similar reason lol] I was looking at Queens Belfast but my mum has told me no because of the whole silly being a Catholic in NI thing :/ but ah wells :biggrin:

And why thank you :h: I'm not sure how i'll cope in the nursery. I did three days W/E and i was completely knackard! I have a two year old sis and shes crazy enough but apprently at nursery she is the ring leader and they're all mental so it'll be interesting if i get it :biggrin: lol

Damn it seems like weeks ago I came a reapplicant back in march... I better get cracking on with the ps before I miss the deadline! :ashamed2: lol

i havent even started rewriting my ps :facepalm: was hoping id do some today.... hmm
would you be working at the nursery full time? i really don wanna be working full time, i just wanna work as a hca part time and at my pharmacy for my usuall 8.5 hours a week +/- overtime and then use the rest too volunteer, see my bf and generally chill.... except if i spend too much time lonely doing nothing ill probs kill myself so ill be trying to avoid that

I cant apply to st andrews again, they've left me heartbroken from last time unfortunately
What three you decided on so far?

Aberdeen, lancaster or livepool (cant decide between either or just both) and belfast

Yourself? :h:
I dunno i just used my previous med eperience as the experience they were after? haha... Dont worry id applied for 4 before that and heard nadda

Just hope they like me and take me on, i only want it part time though, think i'd kill myself working full time HCA AND work in my pharmacy and find the time somewhere to volunteer and it'd be harder to go out partying when my pals are back from uni :frown: lmao. I may not be going to uni this year but i'm going to 6 different uni's freshers weeks between september and october :wink:

Have you got a job already? i work at a pharmacy training to be a dispenser, i was dead lucky they took me on with no pharmacy qualifications D:

Just regularly rape NHS jobs!

wow thats lucky...ive got a non-medically related job at a restaurant and some volunteer work...and i'm going to go to an orphanage next year for 2 months abroad. Also i've done a lot of work experience. My problem is i got A*AB (i mark off offer) so i have to re-do a practical to gain a mark :frown:. How are you going to freshers weeks? i really want to ...is it with school friends...are you allowed? i might try my local pharmacy.
Aberdeen, lancaster or livepool (cant decide between either or just both) and belfast

Yourself? :h:

Leeds,Barts, Glasgow and PMS
:d
Should be fun.
Original post by Harbour
Its actually local protestants like me who need to be more worried about attending queens than catholics like u m8-queens has a reputation of having a republican/nationalist/catholic dominated student population.If that was the sole reason for ditching queens as a choice u should seriously reconsider

Hmm I didn't know that :smile: I'm still sort of considering it... my mum just doesn't know that lol Think shes just worried because there was something ages ago that happened involving my aunt and stuff. I am still trying to convince her though, and that little fact may help :smile: thanks

i havent even started rewriting my ps :facepalm: was hoping id do some today.... hmm
would you be working at the nursery full time? i really don wanna be working full time, i just wanna work as a hca part time and at my pharmacy for my usuall 8.5 hours a week +/- overtime and then use the rest too volunteer, see my bf and generally chill.... except if i spend too much time lonely doing nothing ill probs kill myself so ill be trying to avoid that

I cant apply to st andrews again, they've left me heartbroken from last time unfortunately

I'll be the idiot who doesn't start it till week before its in... and then end up just handing in the same one from last year haha

Probably not to begin with, they have a lot staff who do relief and come in when needed. But theres a girl I know who was offered a full time place but shes decided to go to uni so i'm hoping they'll consider me instead and see what happens :smile: I'm the exact same, I'll go mad if I don't do anything - think i'm even pushing it only (hopefully) doing part time! :tongue:

Naww :frown: Gutted! If they do same to me this year we should have a road trip and go kick their ass! lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Just a final reminder that in a couple of hours voting closes for this years medicine awards so if you are planning on voting then make sure you do it now!

Link to announcement
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Just a final reminder that in a couple of hours voting closes for this years medicine awards so if you are planning on voting then make sure you do it now!

Link to announcement

Shameless plug.

I wish there was an award for that kind of self promoting.
Because you and Vulpes have been at it today :P
Shameless plug.

Yep :awesome:

Unfortunately we're limited to 10 questions so can't put that in :no:

Likewise the 'grouchiest member' award had to be left out :sadnod:

And we're only doing it because the things were promoting are awesome :fyi:
Reply 3118
Shameless plug.

Hey :tongue: That's hardly fair. If I kept my program secret, I wouldn't have gotten my 1500+ downloads. :biggrin:
Original post by twelve
Thankyou! I'm glad to hear it - you'll get your confidence back. Are you enjoying your job at the moment? I know you will get it eventually - but try to think of the good side of it, whatever happens.

Awh i'm loving my job at the moment :smile:
Met some really wonderful people of all professions who are all so supportive and I've just cut through the initial phase of cleaning/preparing equipment/obs etc and i'm actually starting to learn and understand a lot about the patient's and their care - a lot of them are acctually teaching me (most are long-term patients because it's a cancer hospital). One of them, who is also now a good friend of mine, was acctually showing me how to take her cannula out..

Original post by Mask Of Sanity
It was pretty **** unfortunately. I only had myself to blame mind, since not revising or working through the year much meant I ended up with Es in select modules. :facepalm2:

Liverpool did allow resits last year, not so sure about 2012 entry. Best bet is just to contact every university you're thinking of applying to to see where you stand with them. But, that's fair enough, a break from academia can be good, just make the most of it if that's what you end up doing. :tongue:

Thanks for that, i plan on emailing them anyway but wanted to know the outcome of my remarks first. I was going on anything published in their prospectus/website.
Haha i don't mind the study, just that i don't want to rush off to do another course just because :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending