The Student Room Group

Best army in history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barden
Using guns to defeat armies wielding spears doesn't make an army great, no matter how many times it is done.

If the British army was so amazing in the colonial era, we'd have conquered Europe, not Africa.

France and Germany on the otherhand... well they both nearly did conquer Europe in their respective heydays...

Well we conquered most of North America, facing superior numbers, with colonists being fully armed by the French and Dutch.

Remember Waterloo ?
Chuck Norris
The British Empire was only marginally larger than the Mongol Empire, both at their greatest extents
Original post by Strathclyder
No, the picture is a factual representation of the British empire, you ignoramous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire

Flawed picture. British Empire was certainly not the best.Not even in top 5

Best armies by far (also taking into account the strength of opposition)
1-Mongols
2-Ottoman armies
3-Armies of Saladin the great
4-Nazi army of early 1940s
5-Greek army commanded by Alexander
Reply 244
USA have the best army of all time. Period.
Original post by A.K.A...

It hasn't yet faced a real opposition besides the Japanese
Original post by Arsenal4lif
Flawed picture. British Empire was certainly not the best.Not even in top 5

Best armies by far (also taking into account the strength of opposition)
1-Mongols
2-Ottoman armies
3-Armies of Saladin the great
4-Nazi army of early 1940s
5-Greek army commanded by Alexander

The picture is not flawed. All those territories in red in the picture were part of the British empire. Tell me what parts are flawed ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 247

So please name a country that can defeat them and name their weaponry

It faced the entire soviet union and fought proxy wars.
Reply 249
Well i read in a book and besides i read British Empire only controlled the eastern part of Australia and only the southern territories of Canada and Afghanistan was never under British control. Flawed picture

Let's put it this way.

Britain had 1/4 of the worlds population under its banner.
Reply 250
It faced the entire soviet union and fought proxy wars.

Exactly my point if the US werent here the world would be in chaos
Reply 251

What dreamland are you living in? One look at America's military spending vs the world should give you the answer.
Britain did not have the greatest army in the world, it was only mediocre for the time. But we did have one of the best navies of all time.

I would say probably the Mongols.
Original post by Abbadon27
Britain did not have the greatest army in the world, it was only mediocre for the time. But we did have one of the best navies of all time.

I would say probably the Mongols.

How was the British army mediocre ? What armies were superior at the time of the British empire ?
Reply 254
Original post by Wucker
No, I totally agree!

The British have had it really rough under 60 years of cruel American hegemony.

I mean, what, with all the improved living standards, longer life expectancy, unbroken peace at home, and stupid American movies that you must pay to see only to ridicule and not because you actually like them, its no wonder that Britons are so darn angry!

I was expecting sarcasm, so I got you some news articles:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336185/British-soldier-John-Howard-killed-friendly-US-aircraft-Afghanistan.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1269291/UK-soldiers-killed-US-friendly-Afghanistan-equipment-shortage.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23409669-three-british-soldiers-killed-in-friendly-fire-blunder-named.do

These, along with all the personal accounts of near misses that I have heard from personnel, are honestly quite shocking. One story I heard was of an A-10 almost blowing up a british convoy because they thought they were iraqis, even though they were wearing nato markings.
Reply 255
Original post by A.K.A...

Drop an EMP on top of their armed forces and they're screwed big time since they use technology to gain the upper hand.

Anyway best army in history...personally the Romans or Alexander the Great. But who is deadliest? Quick tell Deadliest warrior to make one about Romans vs Alexander the Great.
(edited 12 years ago)
How was the British army mediocre ? What armies were superior at the time of the British empire ?

The Prussian army and later the Wehrmacht. The French and the Russian armies at various points were also better.
Original post by Abbadon27
The Prussian army and later the Wehrmacht. The French and the Russian armies at various points were also better.

How were they better ?
Samurai were very good(although like the Spartans their military structure let them down)
Wehrmacht was awesome
USA in a conventional war
Knights Templar were highly regarded(even by Saladin their enemy)
ottomans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending