The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Incarnadine91
Congratulations to everyone who got in! And commisserations if you didn't, you can still be proud.

Yay, Catz! You've got an awesome college waiting for you :smile: I can answer any questions if you need it. What subject?

Haha Thanks :smile: . I'm in for Chemistry so really looking forward to it. Actually I do have one question, what do we need to take with us (and what's supplied in rooms)?
I thought there were essentially none to very few white tie events at Oxford - or at least for my college all you need as an undergraduate is black tie/subfusc.
Reply 2942
Original post by rahyahrah
I thought there were essentially none to very few white tie events at Oxford - or at least for my college all you need as an undergraduate is black tie/subfusc.

There are not many white tie events, but compared to the rest of the UK where most people go through life never having heard of the concept there are loads and loads. :p: You don't need it though, and can perfectly happily go through life without (and rent if you go to a white tie ball).
Original post by deFossard
Ok, I think you may have a point. But that's just WEIRD. Mertonians fully deserve their abuse. In defence of May Morning, Magdalen does usually hold a white tie ball the night before.

Magdalen Commemoration (white tie) balls are once every 3 years... This upcoming academic year happens to be one.

Also Commemoration balls are in 9th week of Trinity.
(edited 12 years ago)
All this black tie/white tie stuff could be rather intimidating I suppose, but as it stands anything and everything relating to Oxford is INCREDIBLY EXCITING at the moment, even all the rubbish paperwork that has to be sent back.
Reply 2945
Original post by The Anti-Hero
All this black tie/white tie stuff could be rather intimidating I suppose, but as it stands anything and everything relating to Oxford is INCREDIBLY EXCITING at the moment, even all the rubbish paperwork that has to be sent back.

I know what you mean (although I'm a sucker for dressing up fancy at any time); I keep remembering it's all happening in eight weeks and getting all excited. The word 'squee' almost comes to mind. :awesome:
Original post by dbmag9
I know what you mean (although I'm a sucker for dressing up fancy at any time); I keep remembering it's all happening in eight weeks and getting all excited. The word 'squee' almost comes to mind. :awesome:

Oh me too, I'm planning a shopping trip soon to buy lots of nice clothes to wear.
I'll take the general advice on waiting 'til arrival for sub fuscs, but there's no reason not to buy at least a few nice shirts to take with me!
It just wouldn't be right to go to a place like Oxford and not at least try to dress well!

Eight weeks!! Don't say that, you'll give me a heart attack.
Reply 2947
Oh me too, I'm planning a shopping trip soon to buy lots of nice clothes to wear.
I'll take the general advice on waiting 'til arrival for sub fuscs, but there's no reason not to buy at least a few nice shirts to take with me!
It just wouldn't be right to go to a place like Oxford and not at least try to dress well!

I think I counted it as 45 days last night, though I was half-asleep at the time. :biggrin:
Original post by dbmag9
I think I counted it as 45 days last night, though I was half-asleep at the time. :biggrin:

Squee isn't a word I'd usually use, but...

The right idea! I'm going to TM Lewin tomorrow to waste (not waste, never!) money on shirts on sale.

Eight weeks, isn't it between five and six now?
Reply 2950
The right idea! I'm going to TM Lewin tomorrow to waste (not waste, never!) money on shirts on sale.

Six weeks to the day now, it seems.

You can never waste money on a good shirt, it's an investment!
You can never waste money on a good shirt, it's an investment!

Of course, this shirt will get me that super-duper graduate level job in the City come 2014!

Original post by dbmag9
Six weeks to the day now, it seems.

Six weeks and six hours, if we're being really anal.
Of course, this shirt will get me that super-duper graduate level job in the City come 2014!

70% shirt, 30% hard work.

I'm pretty sure that's how the interview process worked, too....
Is it weird that I am nervous. Like really really nervous. In the sense that I keep putting things off :frown:
Original post by Comet Andromeda
Is it weird that I am nervous. Like really really nervous. In the sense that I keep putting things off :frown:

hey, I felt like that this time last year!

I didn't know why I was so nervous - almost to the point of thinking I'd made a huge mistake in accepting the place!

But it got better as it got closer to going, and once I was there it was fine! Didn't really sink in until I was there.

So don't worry - it just still seems really daunting, I'm sure.
Reply 2956
Six weeks and six hours, if we're being really anal.

You think I can't turn up in Oxford at 2am? :p:
70% shirt, 30% hard work.

I'm pretty sure that's how the interview process worked, too....

Well I looked sublime in both of my interviews, so your theory certainly holds up.
Original post by dbmag9
You think I can't turn up in Oxford at 2am? :p:

Maybe Merton freshers have a metaphysics essay to complete at dawn, whilst doing a handstand. Be prompt!
Reply 2959
Maybe Merton freshers have a metaphysics essay to complete at dawn, whilst doing a handstand. Be prompt!

They teach us to write with both hands for when our hands cramp during exams. And TV is banned in final year. :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending