The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6660
Original post by s_candy
No, it was my only offer for med :/ I understand your dilemma but that will be something for you to decide. My predicted gardes only managed to get me one interview (Manchester)
My UKCAT was 652.5 and I had 11 A's at GCSE. My PS was pretty good too, but honestly it's up to you. Overall your most important factor in deciding whther or not you get an offer is your PS- make sure it's strong.
As for the A levels, do you feel that if you were offered A*AA could you acheive those results? I was told higher predictions give you a better chance but I understand you don't want to risk it. Talk to your school/college maybe?
Sorry I couldn't really help.

Thanks for the great advice! +1 rep. I'll talk to my teachers and see what they say.
Original post by kickasskaz01
If I have predicted grades of A*A*A*a ( which I can achieve) and AS grades of CCDE, would uni's believe thats achievable or with they reject me.
the A is in AS chem form the E which I got.
Which unis don't put much emphasis on AS grades.

They wouldn't believe you. Anything higher than a grade over what you acheived is considered excessive.. so they'd question a prediction of AAB, let alone A*A*A*a...

Unless you've got some really good extenuating circumstances I would recommend acheiving the grades first and then applying :redface:
Reply 6662
Original post by Erotas
Thanks for the great advice! +1 rep. I'll talk to my teachers and see what they say.

No problem! Good luck.
UKCAT:
VR 610
QR 730
AR 880
DA 760
Average: 745

AS:
Physics 292/300
Chemistry 284/300
Biology 292/300
Maths 300/300

i will take bmat but im not sure if i could do well
im now quite troubled over which uni to include in my 4 choices
any good recommendations? (especially insurance ones)
Original post by Rocketeeer
UKCAT:
VR 610
QR 730
AR 880
DA 760
Average: 745

AS:
Physics 292/300
Chemistry 284/300
Biology 292/300
Maths 300/300

i will take bmat but im not sure if i could do well
im now quite troubled over which uni to include in my 4 choices
any good recommendations? (especially insurance ones)

Wow, you are a top candidate. Depends on your GCSES. Birmingham like all As at AS and if you have above 8A*s, you've got a good shot at an interview there. Sheffield interview all of the candidates who pass their UKCAT criteria, and you do that. Cambridge will love your UMS scores.

Put it this way, depending on your GCSEs, no university is out of your reach, so to speak (but you aren't guaranteed anything either).
Original post by Straight up G
Wow, you are a top candidate. Depends on your GCSES. Birmingham like all As at AS and if you have above 8A*s, you've got a good shot at an interview there. Sheffield interview all of the candidates who pass their UKCAT criteria, and you do that. Cambridge will love your UMS scores.

Put it this way, depending on your GCSEs, no university is out of your reach, so to speak (but you aren't guaranteed anything either).

thanks.. actually i didn't take the GCSE, i took an equivalent one in Hong Kong called the HKCEE and got 4A2B,
well we don't have A* there and the proportion of candidates getting the highest grade is significantly lower than GCSE
but i dunno if uni will see that

thanks a lot for the info :smile::smile:
Reply 6666
If I have predicted grades of A*A*A*a ( which I can achieve) and AS grades of CCDE, would uni's believe thats achievable or with they reject me.
the A is in AS chem form the E which I got.
Which unis don't put much emphasis on AS grades.

You can only get an A* at A2 if you have an A at AS and achieve over 90% in your A2 exams!

You must be trolling!

Original post by Iaso
I'm sure they'll be fine :smile:

Wear black socks, no one will ever know!!! :wink:
So... Me...

GCSE: 6A*, 4A
As: Maths A (91%), Bio A (95%), Geog A (85%), Chem B... but I think there may be an error with my paper, long story...

I also took A level dance alongside my GCSE's

I want to apply to UCL, Bristol, King's and BSMS...

What UKCAT score do you think I would need to stand a decent chance?

Thanks guys x
Original post by Loulibelle
So... Me...

GCSE: 6A*, 4A
As: Maths A (91%), Bio A (95%), Geog A (85%), Chem B... but I think there may be an error with my paper, long story...

I also took A level dance alongside my GCSE's

I want to apply to UCL, Bristol, King's and BSMS...

What UKCAT score do you think I would need to stand a decent chance?

Thanks guys x

It is very difficult to define what a decent chance is.

Some people can get four offers with a relatively low UKCAT score; others fail to get any with a high one. Success when applying to medical school is dependent on a number of factors, and these vary considerably from applicant to applicant.

As a rough guide, 660+ is a good enough score to earn consideration at most UK universities. Have a read of the medicine wiki to find out which institutions have more specific requirements :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It is very difficult to define what a decent chance is.

Some people can get four offers with a relatively low UKCAT score; others fail to get any with a high one. Success when applying to medical school is dependent on a number of factors, and these vary considerably from applicant to applicant.

As a rough guide, 660+ is a good enough score to earn consideration at most UK universities. Have a read of the medicine wiki to find out which institutions have more specific requirements :smile:

Thanks for your advice, that's really helpful!

I have one more question... if you have an relatively high average UKCAT score but a very low one in one section, do you think that would significantly hinder an application?

I anticipate a low score in QR but frequently score 850+ in VR & DA

:smile:
Just a final reminder that in a couple of hours voting closes for this years medicine awards so if you are planning on voting then make sure you do it now!

Link to announcement
Thanks for your advice, that's really helpful!

I have one more question... if you have an relatively high average UKCAT score but a very low one in one section, do you think that would significantly hinder an application?

I anticipate a low score in QR but frequently score 850+ in VR & DA

:smile:

Some universities compare the lowest section score you achieve, which is something that you will need to be aware of. The majority look at the average of all the sections :smile:

Have a read here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT#Who_needs_it.3F_How_is_it_used.3F
Original post by cz100
That's great, and haven't seen you in ages :smile:

Hi!! How did you do? I'm onx holiday at the moment and a crazy girls has stolen me from TSR :laugh:
Reply 6674
Original post by JChoudhry
Hi!! How did you do? I'm onx holiday at the moment and a crazy girls has stolen me from TSR :laugh:

Ah I see :beard:
Results are in my sig, or if you want more detail you can see my profile. I was so relieved
Reply 6675
Anyone else trip up on CHEM2??

I don't know what board you're on but a lot of my friends got Bs in CCEA chem and As in everything else, one of them even got a D in chem 2.
Reply 6676
Original post by cz100
I don't know what board you're on but a lot of my friends got Bs in CCEA chem and As in everything else, one of them even got a D in chem 2.

Dude! You do CCEA? CCEA is where it's at loik! :tongue:
Original post by Pumpsy
You can only get an A* at A2 if you have an A at AS and achieve over 90% in your A2 exams!

You must be trolling!

I’m going to resit the AS unit’s to achieve an A overall for AS and with a lot of hard work I know I can get 90% in the A2 units , I just had a really bad year and my results reflect this. :frown:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
They wouldn't believe you. Anything higher than a grade over what you acheived is considered excessive.. so they'd question a prediction of AAB, let alone A*A*A*a...

Unless you've got some really good extenuating circumstances I would recommend acheiving the grades first and then applying :redface:

I think I have extenuating circumstances so should I contact uni's or what do I do.
I think I have extenuating circumstances so should I contact uni's or what do I do.

May I ask what extenuating circumstances you have? If you would rather not say then that's fine but I'm just want to see whether it would be classed as extenuating circumstances or not.

It's been a while since I last checked what you do if you do have extenuating circumstances so I'll have to get back to you on that part I'm afraid :redface:

Unless anyone else can shed some light on how you are supposed to let uni's know about extenuating circumstances?

Latest

Trending

Trending