The Student Room Group

Most intelligent, creative and well written TV shows

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by f00ddude
i agree with the OP on lost, arrested development (their making a movie btw :smile: ) and himym
havent seen the others

but think House should be added, the way in which they have created dr house deserves credit
and Friends, for the way in which they captured a generations attention
and maybe californication as it seems much more down to earth then most hollywood set shows

and scrubs, i dont think i need to eleborate here!!

Wow finally another person who has watched Califronication.
Just because I'm obsessed :smile::

and:

Original post by 2ndClass
Wow finally another person who has watched Califronication.

Everyone I know seems to watch it. o_O

I kinda gave up, it was really good at the start (and I'm sure Duchovny is still great) but it got a bit too over the top ridiculous. Same kinda thing seems to be happening with Peep Show.

Sad times. ;{
Reply 103
Original post by concubine
Everyone I know seems to watch it. o_O

I kinda gave up, it was really good at the start (and I'm sure Duchovny is still great) but it got a bit too over the top ridiculous. Same kinda thing seems to be happening with Peep Show.

Sad times. ;{

The first two seasons were excellent but I agree, the 3rd slipped at little.
Game of Thrones

Gilmore Girls

SUPER-****ING-NATURAL!
Original post by Aspiring Medic 201
Spiral: The Butcher of La Valette

It's a French equivilant of the Bill (just much more violent) which I'm following on BBC 4 atm. Best show I've watched in years, it's just terrific.

Love this show! Haven't met anyone else who watches it, but it's wonderfully gritty and I've learnt some great Parisian slang!
Reply 106
Frasier.
Reply 107
The Thick of It
Grandma's House
Friends
Bones
House
The Mentalist
Lie to Me - particular love for this show and Tim Roth.
NCIS
Big Bang Theory
Sherlock <3 <3 <3!!!
My Family - Super awesome, and I've pretty much grown up with the characters. It ends soon though. :frown:

QI - Oh wow. This show has taught me more than everything else combined. Stephen Fry is an absolute legend, and the other semi-regulars are great - Phil Jupitus, Clive Anderson, David Mitchell, and the lovable Alan Davies.
Pretty much anything Joss Whedon or Steven Moffat have written.

I ****ing love those guys, seriously.
Reply 110
After watching King of the Hill from the beginning throughout I realise how underrated it is, no other animated series of this type has a real fluid storyline through each season.
Reply 111
Blackadder
South Park
The Thick of It
Yes, Minister
Arrested Development
The Wire
Californication
West Wing (Not a comedy but very intelligent writing)
Burn notice.
Reply 113
The Big Bang Theory is an extremely well written show.

South is also.
mighty boosh

come with us.....
Reply 115
Dexter
Battlestar Galactica (reimagined) [at least the first two and a half seasons]
Reply 116
How I met your mother! Unique and awesome
How I Met Your Mother is probably the best crafted show on television atm. Once you rewatch it two or three times (as i have because I'm an addicted moron) then you can see the creativity with which the producers develop this continuity that hooks everyone who watches it.
The 'Mother' mystery is the best central storyline I've seen, and judging by the amount of theory sites; others agree with me, and it taps into one of the strongest and most sought after emotions experienced by mankind: love.
The acting is outstanding throughout the entire cast led by the Fantastic Five - special commendation to NPH - and the script is hilarious.
People always say that it has copied Friends but, even if it has to a certain extent, HIMYM is in a completely different class to it.
It's Legend-waitforit-dary.
Reply 118
I only watch a couple of shows, so:

30 Rock.
The Big Bang Theory.
NCIS.
Fringe. (Well, maybe not THAT well written, given how much of a mindf*** it is a lot of the time.)
Reply 119
Original post by lukejoshjedi
In your opinion - what show do you have in mind for having outstanding dialogue either in a comedic/comic sense, it's generally really funny, creative, referential and intelligent in its' writing and jokes (for Sitcoms for example) or in just the way that it's written in a dramatic sense

As a drama you think it's got realistic dialogue, making believable and real characters with great rapport / banter, as well as making for great dramatic scenes / drama in general

For me

Lost (Totally had the believable characters, high tension, super dramatic moments, as well as humour and references to pop culture, generally a well written show with realistic dialogue to boot and helps to suspend disbelief seeing the genre the show is in)

Life Unexpected

Arrested Development (I'd say it's one of if not the best written sitcom ever)

True Blood

How I met your Mother (same as arrested Development imo, the continual creativity in the show stands out)

Community

Also want to add 30 Rock to the list ofc! really well written and creative

None of the ones you've added, they're **** (well at least in my view).

Some of the best are Monty Python, Goodies, Dad's Army, Angry Boys, The Inbetweeners, Outnumbered, Mock the Week, Summer Heights High, Ripping Yarns, Allo! Allo!, South Park and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Latest