The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deFossard
That's what I read online, I can't be absolutely certain though. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see, they do have a morning event in college - in the Oscar Wilde room - to listen to the choir, at least.

There is no ball (as someone has already pointed out, that occurs in 9th week) and I've never heard of anything occuring in the Oscar Wilde room on May day either (that doesn't mean for certain that there nothing does, but either way Oscar Wilde room events are usually a bit ****e). May day is generally about people doing their own thing and getting very drunk, possibly going to a club night if they're that way inclined, and then reconvening at 6am on cloisters lawn to listen to the choir. Sleep/watching morris dancers in the the city centre usually follows. Some people get to go up the tower, but you have to be invited by choiry people I think.
Original post by Mel_Denning
lol yes perhaps! No they said it'd be exclusive for oxbridge students... but I can't remember the name! :s have googled the net for myuniii and myuni but can't seem to come up with anything :frown:

Lol this is the closest thing I found: http://www.bluesmatch.com/

Considering making myself a profile hmmmmmm :cool:
Which societies are top of people's "To Join" list?
Reply 2963
Original post by The Anti-Hero

For me:
The Union: It's fun to debate and have the chance to listen to the opinions of (in)famous guests from around the world.

OUCA: Many of the party's policies are agreeable to me, and 'fortified' debating sounds too comical to be missed!

Karate Club: A chance to keep up practice, and spar with people from branches of karate other than my own (Wado-Ryo) e.g. Shotokan Karatekas.

Cherwell (if they'll have me): Similar to my desire to express my opinions on here, with fewer emoticons and hopefully better grammar

Go Society: To continue my quest to banish the Empty Triangle

Invariants: A little by default I suppose, being a Mathmo. Some of the talks in the past have seemed interesting.

Doctor Who Society: No explanation required!
Original post by Babs12123
I feel pretty uncouth for not even realising there was something more formal than black tie. How often are white tie events??

Next to never. Boys have to wear a variation of white tie for sub fusc/exams, but that's literally a suit with an actual white tie so it's not really - and girls sub fusc is nothing like it. Individual balls from posh places like Magdalen might insist on it, but they're every three years so dressing up is all part of the experience. Catz Ball last year was black tie :smile: I got away without wearing anything like white tie all year, so suffice to say you don't need it! A good selection of black tie wear is, however, essential, something I didn't realise until I arrived. You'd be surprised (I was!) at how often Oxford makes you glam yourself up :biggrin:

Original post by Longorefisher
Haha Thanks :smile: . I'm in for Chemistry so really looking forward to it. Actually I do have one question, what do we need to take with us (and what's supplied in rooms)?

Aha, a mad scientist. Good good - we have a lot of those ound Catz :rolleyes: The rooms are pretty basic, just a desk, bed (with bedding included) and a few chairs, ready for you to customise as you like. Some people have brought lamps, rugs, posters etc, which is fine, but if you bring your own duvet cover or pillows you have to wash it yourself, so be warned! Speaking of washing, a washbasket helps, so you can lug your stuff to the laundry without too much trouble. There's a fridge and kettle in the shared kitchen, but many people take their own to make tea in the morning/coffee during essay crises that much easier to handle. I had a fridge in my room and it was very conveniant, apart from anything else nothing got stolen :tongue: Don't forget to bring pots/pans/crockery/cutlery/more than one mug, you'll be eating in hall a lot but it always helps to have equipment on standby! Apart from that, there's nothing urgent that you need to bring, apart from maybe materials to make fancy dress costumes - always essential for an Entz :wink: You can get a lot of stuff in the city if you forget something.

Hope that helps!

I'm social secretary of the university archery club, so I kinda have to try and get people to join :biggrin: It's easy to pick up, great fun, very relaxing and with a ton of social events to boot - and you don't need to have any experience before, I didn't at all! Check us out at Fresher's Fair, we'll be running taster sessions in first week :smile:
Original post by Incarnadine91
I'm social secretary of the university archery club, so I kinda have to try and get people to join :biggrin: It's easy to pick up, great fun, very relaxing and with a ton of social events to boot - and you don't need to have any experience before, I didn't at all! Check us out at Fresher's Fair, we'll be running taster sessions in first week :smile:

I'll come see :smile:

I'm looking at the UOTC, Law Society, Bar Society, Russian Society and rowing.
Original post by micky022
I'll come see :smile:

I'm looking at the UOTC, Law Society, Bar Society, Russian Society and rowing.

What's the "bar society"? :smile:

I'm defo going for the cycling club and one completely random one :p:
Original post by soutioirsim
What's the "bar society"? :smile:

I'm defo going for the cycling club and one completely random one :p:

For those who want to be barristers :smile:
Original post by Incarnadine91

You know, archery and fencing are the two things I've not done that I'm
almost certain I want to take up come October, so you might have a new member in me.

You say you're totally novice-friendly?
Original post by Mellete
For me:

Cherwell (if they'll have me): Similar to my desire to express my opinions on here, with fewer emoticons and hopefully better grammar

If you're into student journalism, try The Alligator as well. They're online and publish longer, feature-length articles :smile:
You know, archery and fencing are the two things I've not done that I'm almost certain I want to take up come October, so you might have a new member in me.

You say you're totally novice-friendly?

Completely. The second team is entirely made up for novices, i.e. those who have been shooting for less than a year, and all competitions have a seperate category for them, so you're never shooting aginst people more experienced than you in your first year. I only started last October so I'm only just leaving novicehood myself, so I can tell you that you're well cared for and trained :smile: In fact, our novice team beat Cambridge's novices last Varsity by a sizable margin, so you can get pretty good in a short time! Even if you don't want to do competitions, there are plenty of things for novices to do, badges and awards to work for, that sort of thing.

It's awesome that people are interested :biggrin:
Original post by micky022
For those who want to be barristers :smile:

Damn, I thought it would be something to do with pub-crawls or something :p:
Original post by soutioirsim
Damn, I thought it would be something to do with pub-crawls or something :p:

I think it might still do that :tongue:
Reply 2974
Original post by Comet Andromeda
Is it weird that I am nervous. Like really really nervous. In the sense that I keep putting things off :frown:

I really hope it's not weird! I think being nervous is a good sign... our expectations can only be raised! (Unless, of course, there really are morris dancers everywhere. Then my expectations will be lowered.) I have put off everything, like reading and magic forms and eugh, so much.

Original post by rohitronaldo
Lol this is the closest thing I found: http://www.bluesmatch.com/

Considering making myself a profile hmmmmmm :cool:

That can't be serious!
Original post by Comet Andromeda
Is it weird that I am nervous. Like really really nervous. In the sense that I keep putting things off :frown:

I feel the same way at the moment :frown: I'm excited too but it all seems so real now...!

Speculative fiction group, RPG society, invariants, the union, and the student union environment and ethics committee are all on my list
Reply 2977
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Just had official confirmation that I'm a choral scholar, so I need to get a scholar's gown :colone:

So jealous. :colonhash:

The Union, LGBTSoc, probably the OTC or URNU, and might have a go at some rowing. I'm sure plenty of other stuff will catch my eye at freshers' fair.

Original post by Mellete
OUCA: Many of the party's policies are agreeable to me, and 'fortified' debating sounds too comical to be missed!

I have a crazy conservative friend who's a member, he's promised to bring me along to a Port and Policy evening. They have too much trouble not being racist/sexist a lot of the time, though.
Original post by ADayInTheLife
There is no ball (as someone has already pointed out, that occurs in 9th week) and I've never heard of anything occuring in the Oscar Wilde room on May day either (that doesn't mean for certain that there nothing does, but either way Oscar Wilde room events are usually a bit ****e). May day is generally about people doing their own thing and getting very drunk, possibly going to a club night if they're that way inclined, and then reconvening at 6am on cloisters lawn to listen to the choir. Sleep/watching morris dancers in the the city centre usually follows. Some people get to go up the tower, but you have to be invited by choiry people I think.

Thank you, that clears a few things up. Must have read some duff information.

I'm at St Hugh's and I think I'm going for:

. Choir

. Christian Union

. Dance

. Drama

. Pudding Society

. The History Society (I'm a History student so I think I pretty much have to do this one, it looks fun though)

Quick Reply

Latest