The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2160
Original post by EffKayy
I am also going to redo my EMPA. I got 40/60 in my empa which equates to 36/50. Previous grade boundaries for the EMPA have been 31 and 33 respectively for an A, but nooo, AQA decided to put it up at 40 this year! Theyre meant to be lower because with ISA's, if the teacher sees that the marks are low for one of the tasks, they can switch and redo it.. then the highest mark counts.
Urgh..

i got 42 in my ia and in my exam result sheet i got 30 um wtf !
Original post by kingam

eeek. Probably moderated down then
Original post by EffKayy
Well they came out of the exam happy so ... :smile:
Will our teachers be able to give the markscheme out when we get back to school?
I'm going to school tommorow to go pay to get priority photocopies for biology.
Also i'm at a loss at how I got 78ums in chemistry when according to the markscheme I got a B minimum so....I dunno what's happened... i'm lost...

78 ums in chemistry? on which paper?? paper 1 or 2?
Original post by James A
78 ums in chemistry? on which paper?? paper 1 or 2?

Original post by EffKayy

what was your paper 1 score and your coursework.

i got 98/120 for unit 1
84/120 for unit 2
coursework was 44/60

at least i think edexcel dont get things as wrong as what aqa did, theres a good dozen of people that got cheated on the aqa biol1 paper by the examiners.
Original post by James A

i got 98/120 for unit 1
84/120 for unit 2
coursework was 44/60

at least i think edexcel dont get things as wrong as what aqa did, theres a good dozen of people that got cheated on the aqa biol1 paper by the examiners.

84/120.
47/60..

Yes I agree Edexcel are much better, but still wondering about my unit 2 mark... I didn't think I would get a C... :s-smilie:
Original post by EffKayy
84/120.
47/60..

Yes I agree Edexcel are much better, but still wondering about my unit 2 mark... I didn't think I would get a C... :s-smilie:

yeah that paper 2 was dodgyyyyy
Reply 2167
Unit 1 - 96/100
Unit 2 - 135/140
Unit 3X - 50/60
Overall - 281/300

The EMPA grade boundary this time was very high in comparison to other years!
Original post by 398807
Unit 1 - 96/100
Unit 2 - 135/140
Unit 3X - 50/60
Overall - 281/300

The EMPA grade boundary this time was very high in comparison to other years!

you go sussex downs college?

one of ma m8s go there !

and i live all the way in london, he used to come to my school !!! :smile:
Unit1 78/100 retake 92/100
Unit 2 140/140
Unit 3 56/60

288/300
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
I am also going to redo my EMPA. I got 40/60 in my empa which equates to 36/50. Previous grade boundaries for the EMPA have been 31 and 33 respectively for an A, but nooo, AQA decided to put it up at 40 this year! Theyre meant to be lower because with ISA's, if the teacher sees that the marks are low for one of the tasks, they can switch and redo it.. then the highest mark counts.
Urgh..

Actually they are lower because the teacher can give ~7 marks for free for "doing the experiment properly and/or doing well in practicals over the school year" which essentially the whole class gets full marks for usually.

So really, there should never be increased grade boundaries for ISA's as it really is not fair.
Original post by swiftylol
Actually they are lower because the teacher can give ~7 marks for free for "doing the experiment properly and/or doing well in practicals over the school year" which essentially the whole class gets full marks for usually.

So really, there should never be increased grade boundaries for ISA's as it really is not fair.

Teachers do not have any contribution towards the marks. They only tick a box to say that this student completed the practical efficiently.

They should, people on here did TWO ISA'S!
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
Teachers do not have any contribution towards the marks. They only tick a box to say that this student completed the practical efficiently.

They should, people on here did TWO ISA'S!

Sorry my bad, it was 5 marks look at the attachment.

And I meant EMPA's should not have increased grade boundaries.
Original post by swiftylol
Sorry my bad, it was 5 marks look at the attachment.

And I meant EMPA's should not have increased grade boundaries.

Yep it's a shame really, as I think nearly all teachers will award their students with 5marks for the ISA.

I got 36/50 = 40ums.

Life is NOT good.
Reply 2174
I'm confused for biology unit 1 it says my mark is 74 and that for that unit i got a grade B, so what is my raw mark
Original post by naz_ox
I'm confused for biology unit 1 it says my mark is 74 and that for that unit i got a grade B, so what is my raw mark

probably 42/60.
Original post by naz_ox

Use this to find out:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php
Went to school to ask to get priority photocopies for biol1 and 2. Should come back in two weeks max hopefully
Reply 2178
Original post by kingam

Likewise, my ums was 40/60! I was quite confident that i'd got an A for my empa as well! :redface:
Original post by James A

i got 98/120 for unit 1
84/120 for unit 2
coursework was 44/60

Really :redface: because I swear I did better in BIOL 1 then what I actually got :s-smilie: I requested 6 photocopies of 6 of my exams it cost me £72 haha, but yeah one of them was BIOL 1 so I am going to ask my teacher to take a look, hopefully they have made a mistake and I can remark it :biggrin: I got 72/100 on the paper 4 marks of an A :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest