The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mufasaa
Most big tackles are not technically good tackles, a lot of tackles in the NFL are technically very bad tackles. Vick's was particularly bad, that Polamalu wasn't looking is circumstancial.

Agreed-I'm always shocked, as a rugby player, at the NFl technique which often seems to consist of running as quickly as possible at someone in the hope you force a fumble. There was a very good article bobbing around about the way itsd all coached at some point.
They're freak athletes so they can get away with it though.. like if Lewis or Polamalu or even Vick hits you full speed the force behind that will put pretty much anyone down. The worst bit of it is when a 12 stone white guy on your team thinks the same applies to him and a 5 yard run becomes 25 yards.
Original post by Mufasaa
It was a dreadful tackle, but it didn't look too dangerous for Vick. He hit him with the top of his back and his head was about at Polamalu's stomach. It looked more dangerous for Polamalu and his knees.

No this is highly dangerous, if you watch the front angle video you see Vick's head snap forwards as Polamalu hits him. If Polamalu was actually looking and ducked his shoulder into the tackle, Vick would probably be quadriplegic right now.

When cut blocking (which is essentially what this was) you make sure to dive across the line that the player is following, so your head is past and out of the way before the contact is made on the back of your shoulder pads / on your side. Diving head first, and more importantly head down (putting your spine in the axial loading position) is a MASSIVE no-no.
Reply 2263
Tampa bay fan here.

... and yeah, that Vick tackle was reckless and simply moronic. To put himself on the line like that in the regular season would be crazy but preseaon... just dumb.
Original post by burningnun
They're freak athletes so they can get away with it though.. like if Lewis or Polamalu or even Vick hits you full speed the force behind that will put pretty much anyone down. The worst bit of it is when a 12 stone white guy on your team thinks the same applies to him and a 5 yard run becomes 25 yards.

Indeed-thats what they rely on but if someone is capable of stepping or has a bit of room then you'll just go flying past-we see it all the time in games. Some players simply don't judge the situation well. If someones got no room then by all means fly in but one on one you need to make the tackle count...
Reply 2265
I was just thinking, has the NFC overtaken the AFC as the dominant conference? I'd say there's 7 teams now who are in a position to win the Superbowl, 4 from the NFC - Atlanta, New Orleans, Green Bay and Philly, but only 3 from the AFC in New England, Indy (depending on Manning) and Pittsburgh. The NFC is also deeper IMO, with at least 3 other teams who could get 10 win seasons, while there's only 2 or 3 in the AFC.
Original post by Mufasaa
I was just thinking, has the NFC overtaken the AFC as the dominant conference? I'd say there's 7 teams now who are in a position to win the Superbowl, 4 from the NFC - Atlanta, New Orleans, Green Bay and Philly, but only 3 from the AFC in New England, Indy (depending on Manning) and Pittsburgh. The NFC is also deeper IMO, with at least 3 other teams who could get 10 win seasons, while there's only 2 or 3 in the AFC.

You're going to really annoy the Ravens fans on here!

I'd say the only teams missing from those lists are Baltimore, and, as much as I hate them, the two New York teams. I'd say that the conferences are as equal as I can remember now.
Reply 2267
Original post by Rekyht
On Madden I once made Peyton Manning throw an interception and then cause a fumble by tackling so hard, does that count? :biggrin:

Hmm...I'll allow it because I'd actually love to see his multi-million dollar ass do it in a game!

As for the Ravens, hate to say it, but you will still only get so far. There's still no solid wideout. Yea you hear defense is the best offense, but look at the 2007 superbowl Bears vs Colts (had the offense).
Original post by Mufasaa

Yeah, I'd agree and have thought this for a few years now. I think both divisions are equal in terms of Superbowl contenders but the NFC is full of so much young talent that I think it just about edges it. I also think there's no clear winner, thus a lot more competition, in all of the NFC sub-divisions.
Reply 2269
Original post by Mufasaa

I think the Texans could be a dark horse this year in the AFC. Solid franchise QB, an ever improving ground game and Andre J leading there revieving core. They drafted pretty strong on the defensive side of the ball and added Joseph through free agency. Also you can't overlook the chargers, even if they have always seemed to fall short towards the end of the regular season.

I agree with you in the sense that the NFC should win the superbowl this year, but dominat division? I'd say they're pretty even right now.
Reply 2270
Original post by shunter7634
You're going to really annoy the Ravens fans on here!

I'd say the only teams missing from those lists are Baltimore, and, as much as I hate them, the two New York teams. I'd say that the conferences are as equal as I can remember now.

Ravens are a definate 10 win team, IMO, I'm just not sure they've got everything you need to win an SB.
Reply 2271
Original post by Mufasaa
Ravens are a definate 10 win team, IMO, I'm just not sure they've got everything you need to win an SB.

They should pick up 10 wins, they have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL in my opinion.
Ravens will definitely have at least 10 wins (I may be biased :biggrin:) and the offense has made some strides picking up Lee Evans, Vonta Leach and Ricky Williams along with drafting Torrey Smith in the 2nd round of this years draft. However the O-line is a little bit worrying since we have no solid starting RT for the time being. And of course the defense should be as solid as ever and maybe better once we develop Jimmy Smith into a definite starter. Hopefully we can finally get over that Steelers hump that has been in our way these past few years.

Also, I agree with the Texans being a dark horse in the AFC. Peyton Manning is supposedly on the PUP so he's out for the first 6 weeks if that's the case meaning the AFC South is totally up for grabs in the first half. Let's face it, Curtis Painter is no starter and the Jim Irsay (Colts owner) is supposedly looking to find Brett Favre, desperation right there. :s-smilie:
After having had high hopes for the Texans the last two years, I'm finding it hard to buy into them again. They were supposed to depose the Colts last year, and despite beating them in week 1, finished 6-10. OK, so they've got Owen Daniels back, and a new DC, but losing Vonta Leach is huge. If the defence comes to play in the first 3 games, I may start to believe.
Their defense was less than adequate last year. JJ Watt looked seriously impressive from what I watched in their preseason game against the Jets and Wade Phillips should have that defence in a good shape so they can finally compete. And they did get Lawrence Vickers in to replace Leach.
Original post by B-More52
Ravens will definitely have at least 10 wins (I may be biased :biggrin:) and the offense has made some strides picking up Lee Evans, Vonta Leach and Ricky Williams along with drafting Torrey Smith in the 2nd round of this years draft. However the O-line is a little bit worrying since we have no solid starting RT for the time being. And of course the defense should be as solid as ever and maybe better once we develop Jimmy Smith into a definite starter. Hopefully we can finally get over that Steelers hump that has been in our way these past few years.

Also, I agree with the Texans being a dark horse in the AFC. Peyton Manning is supposedly on the PUP so he's out for the first 6 weeks if that's the case meaning the AFC South is totally up for grabs in the first half. Let's face it, Curtis Painter is no starter and the Jim Irsay (Colts owner) is supposedly looking to find Brett Favre, desperation right there. :s-smilie:

Love to see all these Ravens fans on here. Torrey Smith is gonna be so legit. I go to the University of Maryland so I got to watch him every Saturday. Kid is gonna produce in Baltimore. Can't wait to see him in action.
Original post by Baltimoron
Love to see all these Ravens fans on here. Torrey Smith is gonna be so legit. I go to the University of Maryland so I got to watch him every Saturday. Kid is gonna produce in Baltimore. Can't wait to see him in action.

I hope he is as good as he looked. I never actually got to watch him in college since a lot of it isn't shown in the UK but from clips I have watched he looks very good. I'm pumped to see the D-Line against the Steelers in week 1, Mendenhall will get swallowed up by Ngata and Cody :biggrin:, and Pernell McPhee has looked absolutely immense for a 5th round pick. Gotta love what Ozzie does in that front office.
Reply 2277
Original post by Baltimoron

Torrey Smith should be really good, I had the Falcons taking him before we moved up.
Great article on Torrey Smith for all those who are interested. He's had such a ****ed up life, it's nice to see him succeed in college and get a chance in the NFL. I've talked with him a couple times and he is genuinely one of the nicest people I've ever met. It's a bit long, but it's a great read:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/25/AR2010122501499.html
(edited 12 years ago)
With all this talk about possible superbowl winners, I really cannot see why people are considering the Colts at all this year. Manning seems to be a bit banged up with his shoulder and without him or a 100% him that team is at best 8-8.

Latest