The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Incarnadine91
Join the Oxford University Company of Archers and you get kitted out with an offensive weapon capable of punching through plate armour. I worry about us sometimes.

I could join both and become Rambo...
Original post by deFossard
Haha, must it only be called a weapon or a rifle?

I think challenging a Cantabrigiensis (Oh I HAVE been reading the glossary in my Fresher's booklet) to a duel would be a brilliant way to kill one. Dressed in white, prancing back and forth.

A what now? :tongue:
Reply 3002
Original post by micky022
I worried if I called it the L85A2/L86A2 DeFos (Can I call you DeFos?) wouldn't know what I was on about :tongue:

Besides, everyone knows its true name is 'shooty stick'...

Is 'rifle' no good? Or 'weapon'?

:thumbsup:

Can't beat Mensur, which is German 'academic fencing'. :awesome:

I think challenging a Cantabrigiensis (Oh I HAVE been reading the glossary in my Fresher's booklet) to a duel would be a brilliant way to kill one. Dressed in white, prancing back and forth.

'Tab' is more pronouncable and people will have a clue what you're talking about. :p:
I worried if I called it the L85A2/L86A2 DeFos (Can I call you DeFos?) wouldn't know what I was on about :tongue:

Besides, everyone knows its true name is 'shooty stick'...

Yeah, deFos is fine. :smile: Oh I know that would mean a rifle, I spent years reading about guns when I was younger. It's paid off. At least I remember that British Army rifles tend to begin with 'L'.
A what now? :tongue:

Derogatory term for a Cambridger! Shortened to 'tab'.
Yeah, deFos is fine. :smile: Oh I know that would mean a rifle, I spent years reading about guns when I was younger. It's paid off. At least I remember that British Army rifles tend to begin with 'L'.

I've been revising them all for my Army application, it's so complicated. I actually have my initial interview tomorrow morning...
I've been revising them all for my Army application, it's so complicated. I actually have my initial interview tomorrow morning...

Oh, nice. Are you enlisting so they pay for your degree? Don't know if it's a good thing, or not, but Patrick Hennessey's book has made the idea of being commissioned really bloody exciting.

Very good luck to you!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3007

Best of luck!
Original post by dbmag9
Best of luck!

Oh, nice. Are you enlisting so they pay for your degree? Don't know if it's a good thing, or not, but Patrick Hennessey's book has made the idea of being commissioned really bloody exciting.

Very good luck to you!

Thanks :smile: I am hopefully going for the Undergraduate Bursary, but if not I want to join up for a bit after university anyway. I have the rest of my life to do Law, so I can do something different first.
Thanks :smile: I am hopefully going for the Undergraduate Bursary, but if not I want to join up for a bit after university anyway. I have the rest of my life to do Law, so I can do something different first.

Yeah, of course. It's only a three year commission, right? I'm sure it'll be an amazing experience, and with luck, we won't be fighting a miserable desert war by 2014/15. Make sure you exploit it for as much sex as possible too.
I could join both and become Rambo...

That's always an option...

Original post by dbmag9
Can't beat Mensur, which is German 'academic fencing'. :awesome:

'Tab' is more pronouncable and people will have a clue what you're talking about. :p:

Spearing something metaphorically is cool, but doing it for real is immensely more satisfying :wink:

'Tab' is the usual spelling, yes. Plus you get to sing "Oh I'd rather be a leper than a Tab" to the tune of 'If you're happy and you know it' :colondollar:

'Tab' is the usual spelling, yes. Plus you get to sing "Oh I'd rather be a leper than a Tab" to the tune of 'If you're happy and you know it' :colondollar:

Just sang it. GENIUS.
Reply 3012
Spearing something metaphorically is cool, but doing it for real is immensely more satisfying :wink:

I think you misunderstood me: it's 'academic' because it's done by Studentenverbindungen, but as far as I understand it the actual process involves standing your ground while attempting to cut the exposed areas of your opponents face and bear your own injuries stoically (see Wikipedia). Much as the idea of being able to show people the scar "from a duel" for the rest of my life, I would probably wimp out in reality though.

Unless the archery soc runs paintball-style battle archery, that could be fun. :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Join the Oxford University Company of Archers and you get kitted out with an offensive weapon capable of punching through plate armour at 100 yards. I worry about us sometimes.

Is it really called the Oxford University Company of Archers?
Just sang it. GENIUS.

The sometimes-second-to-last line (if you're feeling risque) is "I'd rather be a leper 'cos I hear the sex is better" :wink:

Original post by dbmag9
I think you misunderstood me: it's 'academic' because it's done by Studentenverbindungen, but as far as I understand it the actual process involves standing your ground while attempting to cut the exposed areas of your opponents face and bear your own injuries stoically (see Wikipedia). Much as the idea of being able to show people the scar "from a duel" for the rest of my life, I would probably wimp out in reality though.

Unless the archery soc runs paintball-style battle archery, that could be fun. :p:

Ouch :s-smilie: No, we don't do that - we got in enough trouble with heath and safety for having only the one metal-wired curtain over the gallery of the sports hall... Labelled "this will not stop an arrow", amusingly enough. Having been on the pointy end of the arrow before, I can sympathise.

Original post by The Anti-Hero
Is it really called the Oxford University Company of Archers?

Yes it is, OUCofA for short, so as to not be confused with the... infamous OUCA. Check us out.
(edited 12 years ago)
The sometimes-second-to-last line (if you're feeling risque) is "I'd rather be a leper 'cos I hear the sex is better" :wink:

Ouch :s-smilie: No, we don't do that - we got in enough trouble with heath and safety for having only the one metal-wired curtain over the gallery of the sports hall... Labelled "this will not stop an arrow", amusingly enough.

Yes it is, OUCofA for short, so as to not be confused with the... infamous OUCA. Check us out.

Company of Archers...

For a medieval history/fantasy fiction nerd, that sounds like a dream come true.
I'm even more sold than I was before!
Original post by The Anti-Hero
Company of Archers...

For a medieval history/fantasy fiction nerd, that sounds like a dream come true.
I'm even more sold than I was before!

Yeah, we get quite a few people like yourself, and they usually end up quite good :wink: I'll have to introduce you to our longbowman...
Yeah, we get quite a few people like yourself, and they usually end up quite good :wink: I'll have to introduce you to our longbowman...

Ah, I've always wanted to shoot a longbow.
And for a self confessed nerd, I have decent upper body strength too so I might even be able to draw one.

Is strength important at all in modern archery?
Reply 3018
Oooh, I've always wanted to have a go at archery! Otherwise, I imagine I'll just end up joining the 10 geekiest societies and the Union. :smile:
Reply 3019

You use longbows?! I tried to draw one once - 'tried', showing how unsuccessful I was! That was two years ago, but still :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending