The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohitronaldo
From what I've heard cover letters are a very minor aspect, most of the BBs have no time to sit and read through the specifics of these letters so just keep it very concise. Use a standard format like Why Investment banking, why this bank and why you would be a good fit.

Yea I know what you mean....the reason I am applying for these programs is to get a first-hand exposure of investment banking rather than the hearsay that floats through the Internet. As of now, I am leaning towards trading over IBD mostly because I have always enjoyed trading commodities (also used to manage my dad's portfolio of shares, mutual funds and equities). The reasonable working hours in comparison to IBD is also a big plus and lastly, the whole working under pressure aspect really drives me. Still not finalized though.....I have no knowledge about M&A. I know what they are but working in the division still sounds a bit peculiar to me and doing a spring week can also help you get in contact with the other divisions.

I wouldn't bet on this :smile: There are 50-60 applicants per place. So DO NOT discard the importance of proper CV and cover letter. Do not forget to practice for Online Numerical tests. :smile: Good score opens the first door.
Original post by Dumb Economist
I wouldn't bet on this :smile: There are 50-60 applicants per place. So DO NOT discard the importance of proper CV and cover letter. Do not forget to practice for Online Numerical tests. :smile: Good score opens the first door.

Sorry, I should re-phrase what I said. A bad CV/CL can effectively kill your chances while an excellent one doesn't necessarily get you a place immediately.

Oh about those numerical tests - I took a couple of practice ones on the SHL site but they seemed really easy. I scored a 12/12 in the Math one and a 11/12 in the reading one. I am guessing the actual tests are substantially harder than that? In that case, any tips on how to practice for those?

50-60 applicants per place!?!?!?! Holyyyyy getting into uni now seems like a piece of cake.
Sorry, I should re-phrase what I said. A bad CV/CL can effectively kill your chances while an excellent one doesn't necessarily get you a place immediately.

Oh about those numerical tests - I took a couple of practice ones on the SHL site but they seemed really easy. I scored a 12/12 in the Math one and a 11/12 in the reading one. I am guessing the actual tests are substantially harder than that? In that case, any tips on how to practice for those?

50-60 applicants per place!?!?!?! Holyyyyy getting into uni now seems like a piece of cake.

try these too
http://students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm

Regarding cover letter --- do not make a generic ones for all applications. Read the banks website and customize your letter specific to that bank. Apply in the month of Dec... not too early or very close to deadlines. Good luck
(edited 12 years ago)
try these too
http://students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm

Regarding cover letter --- do not make a generic ones for all applications. Read the banks website and customize your letter specific to that bank. Apply in the month of Dec... not to early or very close to deadlines. Good luck

Thanks so much for the link and I'll take your advise on when to send in applications.

I took the first sample numerical test on that link and scored a 21/24 just now. Obviously not the most desirable score, but would that give me a fair shot at an interview if say I don't have much work experience and an average to decent cover letter?

Don't really know why I am asking you just for some form of assurance I guess. I take it spring week decisions are also a tad random at times?
Reply 124
it spring week decisions are also a tad random at times?

understatement
Thanks so much for the link and I'll take your advise on when to send in applications.

I took the first sample numerical test on that link and scored a 21/24 just now. Obviously not the most desirable score, but would that give me a fair shot at an interview if say I don't have much work experience and an average to decent cover letter?

Don't really know why I am asking you just for some form of assurance I guess. I take it spring week decisions are also a tad random at times?

Good Numerical test score and if are applicant from target university then the process shouldn't be that difficult to get an interview. After that it would depend upon your interview performance. Good luck
Reply 126

Good Numerical test score and if are applicant from target university then the process shouldn't be that difficult to get an interview. After that it would depend upon your interview performance. Good luck

the SHL tests and all the tests for all the companies
are they the same as the ones that summer 2nd year internship people will do?
Original post by Milan.
the SHL tests and all the tests for all the companies
are they the same as the ones that summer 2nd year internship people will do?

Usually same, but for the summer ones the number of tests and number of interviews are more. Unless of course one manages to get a summer offer straight after Spring week. :smile:
Original post by Focus08
understatement

Agreed.... but fortunately I was in the positive side of this randomness :tongue:
Reply 129
Agreed.... but fortunately I was in the positive side of this randomness :tongue:

How badly does zero RELEVANT work experience fare in this process?

Is it a big no no or ?
Original post by TroTro
How badly does zero RELEVANT work experience fare in this process?

Is it a big no no or ?

For many applicants, spring internship will be the first form of finance-related work experience they'll be getting.

Don't worry, whilst having some experience is a big plus, many people without any get accepted.
Original post by Marc Fiorano
For many applicants, spring internship will be the first form of finance-related work experience they'll be getting.

Don't worry, whilst having some experience is a big plus, many people without any get accepted.

this..... most of my friends did not have any finance related work experience. In fact if one has they will grill hard at the interview about it.
Would be great if we could get a few successful spring week applicants in this thread
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
Would be great if we could get a few successful spring week applicants in this thread

there are few...
there are few...

Really?

Anyways i've had a look at the RBS application and thought i'd make a start with the competency questions. Trying hard not to give a generic answer with lots of cliches. Any tips for those? i attended the A-level insight day at rbs early this month so i'm trying to give answers with that in mind
Really?

Anyways i've had a look at the RBS application and thought i'd make a start with the competency questions. Trying hard not to give a generic answer with lots of cliches. Any tips for those? i attended the A-level insight day at rbs early this month so i'm trying to give answers with that in mind

Agreed ... do not give generic answers. Answer using examples and events from personal life and experience and from events you have gone through. :smile:
Agreed ... do not give generic answers. Answer using examples and events from personal life and experience and from events you have gone through. :smile:

Do you think i should use the RBS Insight day when applying to other banks or should i just say, an insight day at an IB?
Do you think i should use the RBS Insight day when applying to other banks or should i just say, an insight day at an IB?

No harm in using RBS name. Make sure everything you learned on that day is clear in your mind.

And yes.. DO NOT exaggerate or lie on your CV or application. All the banks do background check of short listed applicants.
(edited 12 years ago)
when do apps open?
No harm in using RBS name. Make sure everything you learned on that day is clear in your mind.

And yes.. DO NOT exaggerate or lie on your CV or application. All the banks do background check of short listed applicants.

What sort of background checks?

How can they check everything written on your CV?

Latest

Trending

Trending