The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aemiliana
Please, please buy second hand.
For anyone interested, there are quite a few interesting books here: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/results.aspx?catalog=HighStDonated&category=Books&search=ancient+history&x=0&y=0

EDIT: I'm not quite sure why a history of corsets and bras comes under ancient history though. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jismith1989

I was about to compile a list of websites for buying textbooks cheaply in the uni study thread and then link it in here. Thanks for the extra link. :colone:

Edit: £40 for a book in Oxfam?!? Ouch.

Edit 2: Topped by £110 for what seems to be a single book. Gotta love academics!
(edited 12 years ago)
Edit 2: Topped by £110 for what seems to be a single book. Gotta love academics!
Well, the most expensive book they have seems to be some silly adventure story at £350.

EDIT: Oh no, I lied. It's this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sappho
Lol, this is amazing :biggrin:

Haha you should check the whole series, PhD comics, they are amazing.
X

I was going to try and quote eeeeveryone in here just to try and win but I thought better of it, so congrats. Nikas.

I know what you mean about the blog though, time wise, still it might be an amusing thing to sit back and look at months later. I can't see their being an audience for it though.

Out of interest why did you recommend that translation of the Odyssey? I'm always curious as to the reasons why people prefer certain translations than others. Although an intro by Griffin is worth the price alone I'm sure.

I know what you mean about Lee's Catullus. I got mine, perfect condition, for £0.01 :s-smilie:

Oh and guys, PHD comics really aren't half as good as www.bugcomic.com
Original post by The Lyceum

I was going to try and quote eeeeveryone in here just to try and win but I thought better of it, so congrats. Nikas.

I know what you mean about the blog though, time wise, still it might be an amusing thing to sit back and look at months later. I can't see their being an audience for it though.

Out of interest why did you recommend that translation of the Odyssey? I'm always curious as to the reasons why people prefer certain translations than others. Although an intro by Griffin is worth the price alone I'm sure.

I know what you mean about Lee's Catullus. I got mine, perfect condition, for £0.01 :s-smilie:

Oh and guys, PHD comics really aren't half as good as www.bugcomic.com

It's the uni set text. Which is why I'll probably try and nab a copy of it from the library before uni starts. If it's good enough for the uni... :dontknow:
As Aemiliana says, because that's the one that Prof. Langslow recommends. :biggrin: I quite like it though, seems quite modern and relatively accurate. Which would you recommend?

Which is why I'll probably try and nab a copy of it from the library before uni starts.
I hope by nab you mean borrow. :hmmm: :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

As Aemiliana says, because that's the one that Prof. Langslow recommends. :biggrin: I quite like it though, seems quite modern and relatively accurate. Which would you recommend?

Nah man, Imma jump over the security barriers and make a run for it. Them security guards don't look hard! :colone:

I'm far too well behaved :sigh:
Nah man, Imma jump over the security barriers and make a run for it. Them security guards don't look hard! :colone:

I'm far too well behaved :sigh:
If you wanted to do it in style, you could set off the fire alarm and run out screaming with book in hand. If you shout loud enough, you may cause a few people to stampede out with you for added effect. I should stop now though because if I encourage another Mancunian riot, it looks like I could get four years in prison. :eek3:
(edited 12 years ago)

Ah I see. I don't know if I'd recommend any one version specifically. I mean how different do they tend to be? I know that I dislike Rieu's and the current Oxford World Classics one and that I, like everyone else, like the Lattimore version. Honestly I'm probably more often than not swain by the cover. :colondollar::colone:
Ah I see. I don't know if I'd recommend any one version specifically. I mean how different do they tend to be? I know that I dislike Rieu's and the current Oxford World Classics one and that I, like everyone else, like the Lattimore version. Honestly I'm probably more often than not swain by the cover. :colondollar::colone:
Nice. Semper librum aestima per tegminem.

But, by the way, I think the past participle is just "swayed", even though "swain" does sound like it should be. A swain, my dictionary tells me, is "a country youth" or "a young lover or suitor" (like, in rowing, a coxswain -- which apparently does come from "cock" + "swain", but I'm not sure what kind of archaic meaning "cock" was taking on!).
(edited 12 years ago)
Huh, cox is actually coxswain? I am so not down with rowing lingo. And now I've forgotten what little I did know. Freshers rowing is gonna kill me. :sigh:
Huh, cox is actually coxswain? I am so not down with rowing lingo. And now I've forgotten what little I did know. Freshers rowing is gonna kill me. :sigh:
Yeah. I've never rowed in my life, mind (well, I paddled a canoe once :p:). Except in the gym, and even then I can't hack more than ten minutes. It's good exercise though.

And a boatswain (or bo'sun) is a type of officer on a ship. I bet you remember that from Reading Greek, right? I've just been going through it for the Greek lessons I'm giving, and that's how it translates κελευστής.

Where do you row? Actually on the Irwell?
(edited 12 years ago)

Yeah. I've never rowed in my life, mind (well, I paddled a canoe once :p:). Except in the gym, and even then I can't hack more than ten minutes. It's good exercise though.

Where do you row? Actually on the Irwell?

Rowing is awesome! And it gives you a great arse and back :yep:

Not in Manchester. I did a year or two at home, but illness and cost made me stop. :sad: I look at the river with longing now :moon: But I'm refusing to let the fact that I can't afford it stop me this year!
Please no one tell The Uni Study Thread. Stricof will win if he knows I'm not working. :teehee:
You do realise this is my moderation zone, right? :unimpressed: I was inevitably going to see this. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stricof

Original post by Stricof
You do realise this is my moderation zone, right? :unimpressed: I was inevitably going to see this. :tongue:

Aw ****. :sigh:

Or, you searched yourself :hmmm: I mean, who would need to mod the classics soc?
I mean, who would need to mod the classics soc?
I know right? I'm surprised they even allowed the subject to have it's own subforum in the first place.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stricof

Original post by Stricof
I know right? I'm surprised they even the subject to have it's own subforum in the first place. :cute:

There used to be a uni subforum too, but that got deleted. :sigh:

TBF, if the government wasn't such a dick (and I talk of many past govts) and Classics was taught in lots of state school there wouldn't be this issue :fuhrer:
There used to be a uni subforum too, but that got deleted. :sigh:

TBF, if the government wasn't such a dick (and I talk of many past govts) and Classics was taught in lots of state school there wouldn't be this issue :fuhrer:
Kind of a misnomer like the prospect of an Archaeology subforum. I don't know why this place exists. :cute:

There would need to be more funding into Latin and Greek - And as the number of those graduates are falling, so does the availability of teaching that subject.

Ancient History :mute:
Original post by Stricof

Original post by Stricof
Kind of a misnomer like the prospect of an Archaeology subforum. I don't know why this place exists. :cute:

There would need to be more funding into Latin and Greek - And as the number of those graduates are falling, so does the availability of teaching that subject.

Ancient History :mute:

I like the subforums. I try to drum up posts when I feel like it/am bored.

It's a vicious circle. :sigh: It's well known that the classical languages help with not only English but also foreign languages as well as a study I've heard of showing increased maths attainment with Latin... They're missing a trick IMO.

There ain't a cooler fall than that of the Roman Republic :hand: Plus, the statues of Augustus make him look buff. :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest