The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carcinoma
They didnt think through that last term did they (20 weeks :eek:)

I know man tell me about it, 3 week campus block, followed by rotation then exams. Weak.
Was on a coach yesterday. Took three times as long as a train, about 5x the discomfort. Full of pensioners with cheese and cucumber sandwiches and screaming kids. Never again.
Original post by Dr. Hannibal Lecter
God I'm so stressed with my 3.5 month summer holiday and various holidays in between,
I really don't know why I chose Medicine.

:five:

Dude, my brain is now shrivelled after this long break... :indiff:

I feel like I should be reading something ahead of the iBSc year - just have no idea what to though....
Original post by Medicine Man

I feel like I should be reading something ahead of the iBSc year - just have no idea what to though....

Read Bad Science, It is light hearted and will get you into an Evidence based frame of mind, whilst reading a slightly humorous book.
My brain has turned to pudding. :/

The only book I've picked up and bothered to read is Max Pemberton's latest one. I really can't be bothered to make any effort in preparing for the iBSc year even though I probably should.

I've got a viewing for a house in SE1 with four other students from King's on Wednesday. Fingers crossed it's the one. House hunting and estate agents are long.
Saw a duck with an antalgic gait today. Nice to know I haven't forgotten everything I learnt last year :wink:
Read Bad Science, It is light hearted and will get you into an Evidence based frame of mind, whilst reading a slightly humorous book.

Tempting, but I feel like even reading that will be far too much for my poor brain... :p:

Original post by i'm no superman
The only book I've picked up and bothered to read is Max Pemberton's latest one. I really can't be bothered to make any effort in preparing for the iBSc year even though I probably should.

I've got a viewing for a house in SE1 with four other students from King's on Wednesday. Fingers crossed it's the one. House hunting and estate agents are long.

:ditto:

I've read quite a few books this summer - all of which were fiction and in no way related to medicine!

I have actually given next year no thought at all - I just don't want to feel like a total nincompoop when we start in the next few weeks considering I'll probably be the youngest in my year (and one of only 2 second years doing this iBSc).

Are you living with people you've met before next year? Are they on your course?
Original post by fairy spangles
Im being very philosophical of late but i just realised how great my A levels were (3C) theres people getting all these A* at A level but in the paper in my old school 12% of people got one grade a - b at A level which is the best result they have ever had.

I know im at medical school already and nearly finished but makes me wonder especially with the fees rise and increased grades requirement is going to really restrict so many people where i came from. Puts things into reality.

How did you get in with 3 C's? even if it was when I was first applying....

It does make it much more difficult to even get an interview. But if you want it enough and re-apply. Its possible.

Yes, but it's a brutal enough slog, doubtless going to get worse.

Original post by Mushi_master
This year I'll be getting 2 weeks for Christmas, Easter and Summer. So cruel. :frown:

:yucky:

Original post by Fission_Mailed
My brain has turned to pudding. :/

:ditto:
Original post by Lantana
How did you get in with 3 C's? even if it was when I was first

I have a degree - however im surprised my 3 C got me into my first uni.
GEP entry is majorly competitive though - if i remember rightly your at newcastle??
Original post by fairy spangles
I have a degree - however im surprised my 3 C got me into my first uni.
GEP entry is majorly competitive though - if i remember rightly your at newcastle??

I thought you meant for normal entry, it makes sense now. You also sound like me!
I know :sadnod: though I got offers for my 2 GEM applications and none for the 5 year :dontknow:
:yes: On the GEM course :lol: although now we get merged with the normals :afraid:
God I hate this website.
Meh, I'm on holiday staying with the grandparents in China. They don't have interweb, so now I'm in a dodgy internet cafe in a basement. Darkish room, hundreds of computers, and enough smokers to give me lung cancer. I need to sort out my ibsc..Have sold my soul to neuroscience for the next year, now I need to find someone to take me on for the research project. Would love to do Prion stuff, but they don't like taking undergrads at Queens sq...hmm.

Halfway through medical schol, **** me thats gone fast!
Original post by crazylemon
Family carriage on a train?
*shudder*

:|
But the quiet carriage
*aaahhhhhhhhh...*
Original post by Wangers
Would love to do Prion stuff, but they don't like taking undergrads at Queens sq...hmm.

Find a way! The little I know of them sounds very interesting!

I agree :sad:

You're doing med-ed next year right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon
Noooooooooo then I can't spend the train journey on the phone!

First Class :yep: although it horrifies the rest of the carriage when I appear dressed in a hoody and unwashed jeans.
(nb. This is only when I am not paying)

Oh that's not usually a problem for me :smile: But I've yet to get a first class ticket..
I do love sitting in quiet with a book/headphones in :h:
Reply 5218
spent the last few days in hospital visiting a relative

came upon the question - what is the ****ing point?

the majority of what we do in western medicine is to prolong suffering, and reinforce the bad habits of the unhealthy... surely we'd do much more good (as if we were to believe the personal statements of every med applicant) if we practised abroad in third world countries?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by buzzcat
spent the last few days in hospital visiting a relative

came upon the question - what is the ****ing point?

the majority of what we do in western medicine is to prolong suffering, and reinforce the bad habits of the unhealthy... surely we'd do much more good (as if we were to believe the personal statements of every med applicant) if we practised abroad in third world countries?

It has it's draw backs too. You'd be saying what is the ****ing point if you saw your umpteenth kid die because there was no medicine available in your location despite it being worth pennies back home.

Latest

Trending

Trending