The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lost on an Island
If we want to do a language as one of the subjects in our degree, exactly how fluent would we have to be? I'm pretty good at German and got an A in the Irish Leaving Cert, but I definitely wouldn't be fluent by any means.
Also, is there anywhere where we can learn a new language outside of the degree?

Thanks "Oh-WOW" for last reply - I tried to rep you but it told me that I'd already done it recently!

For French you need to have an A-level or equivalent in it. For all other languages they offer both advanced and beginners courses in 1st year - and the two levels merge in 2nd year (as far as I'm aware, I know that it's true for Spanish). In terms of fluency, I really wouldn't worry too much: a lot of classes are done in English in the first semester/year - so you get some time to ease into it!

Apart from modules, there are Evening Language Classes (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/eveninglanguages/) but these are really popular so if you're interested, be sure to sign up as soon as possible!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Ecosse_14
you do a test thingy when you start and they'll decide if you're advanced or not.

Yes, when you speak to your adviser, they may advise (ha!) you to try out the advanced level and take the diagnostic test so that department can judge which level you'd be in. On arrival at uni I only had a GCSE-equivalent in Spanish, and so was quite happy to take the beginners course, but my adviser convinced me to take the test anyway, and I ended up staying in Advanced! Bit of a shock at first, but I didn't ever feel totally out of my depth.
Reply 6202
If we want to do a language as one of the subjects in our degree, exactly how fluent would we have to be? I'm pretty good at German and got an A in the Irish Leaving Cert, but I definitely wouldn't be fluent by any means.
Also, is there anywhere where we can learn a new language outside of the degree?

Thanks "Oh-WOW" for last reply - I tried to rep you but it told me that I'd already done it recently!

Pretty sure A in Leaving Cert would be fine. I know some people doing German with just a GCSE in it. Leaving Cert is slightly more advanced than GCSE but not quite A Level. and pretty sure you'd be at a similar level to anyone who has done higher German.. What other modules are you doing?

Yeh TSR can be a bit annoying with the rep. you have to rep so many more people before you can rep someone again. but thank you for thought :smile:

Original post by Ecosse_14
You can start at beginner level modules, or if you're good enough, you do a test thingy when you start and they'll decide if you're advanced or not.
You can also do evening language classes :smile:

As Ecosse_14 mentioned, there are beginners classes but I think you'd be fine in a more advanced one!

There isn't a beginners level module for french though, just to warn you. I was pretty upset when I was planning to take a lazy module and do beginners french, as I thought I would probs have done the majority of it at GCSE. but it did not exist and I had to stop being lazy :frown:
Reply 6203

I did two beginners' languages first year and I'd describe my knowledge of them as "conversational"; I can understand, speak, write, read them, but the main problem is a lack of vocab due to the quick time you've learned it in.
I am an international undergraduate student.
Is there anything I need to do before I go to St Andrews?
I see someone talking about advising? matriculation? isaint? etc...I have not received email about such information...Do I need to sign in or do something befroe I go there?
Reply 6205
Original post by soulmailers
I am an international undergraduate student.
Is there anything I need to do before I go to St Andrews?
I see someone talking about advising? matriculation? isaint? etc...I have not received email about such information...Do I need to sign in or do something befroe I go there?

This site telly you exactly what you have to do before you go: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/newstudents/

:smile:
Original post by Oh-WOW
There isn't a beginners level module for french though, just to warn you. I was pretty upset when I was planning to take a lazy module and do beginners french, as I thought I would probs have done the majority of it at GCSE. but it did not exist and I had to stop being lazy :frown:

Was the advance french class difficult? Like you I also did GCSE French but only got a B :frown: but it's such a brilliant language I'd love to try and advance in it!

[To be fair, my French teacher wasn't great...I don't want to be nasty because it wasn't her fault that half the class didn't want to learn French in the first place...but that's beside the point. :smile: ]
Reply 6207
Original post by who.the.heck
Was the advance french class difficult? Like you I also did GCSE French but only got a B :frown: but it's such a brilliant language I'd love to try and advance in it!

[To be fair, my French teacher wasn't great...I don't want to be nasty because it wasn't her fault that half the class didn't want to learn French in the first place...but that's beside the point. :smile: ]

oh no. I didn't end up doing French because I was never liked it. I just meant I was going to take the beginners french one because I thought it'd be easy as I had a basic understanding but as the beginners french didn't exist, I ended up taking another module instead.
Reply 6208

I'm a final year French student, so I'll do my best to cast my mind back to first year to try to help! From what I remember the course involves speaking classes, language classes and reading 2 or 3 French novels and poems, which could be a bit challenging - however all your essays are written in english, and the majority of teaching is also in english. Most students on the course will have A level equivalent french, but even so usually there are big differences in ability/confidence etc. As a first year, you're only required to get a basic pass in your classes (7/20) - so there is an argument to just studying whatever you feel like!
During freshers week there's normally a chance to ask questions to tutors from different departments before you make your choices so that could be a chance to go over your concerns... also, after term starts you're allowed to swap subjects within the first two weeks, so if you try it and are unhappy it's not the end of the world.
I think my overall advice would be to try a beginner's module in one of the other languages (Spanish Italian German) the classes are fun, and the workload is very very light, so you have more time to concentrate on your main subject/enjoy being a fresher!
Sorry I've rambled on, but I hope this helps!
Original post by Glitzey
Are you allowed to bring a date to the Freshers Ball or is it just for students of St Andrews? Thanks :smile:

No, you can bring people from outside the uni :smile:
Original post by Oh-WOW
oh no. I didn't end up doing French because I was never liked it. I just meant I was going to take the beginners french one because I thought it'd be easy as I had a basic understanding but as the beginners french didn't exist, I ended up taking another module instead.

Ah ok :smile: what module did you end up taking?

Original post by gogo
I'm a final year French student, so I'll do my best to cast my mind back to first year to try to help! From what I remember the course involves speaking classes, language classes and reading 2 or 3 French novels and poems, which could be a bit challenging - however all your essays are written in english, and the majority of teaching is also in english. Most students on the course will have A level equivalent french, but even so usually there are big differences in ability/confidence etc. As a first year, you're only required to get a basic pass in your classes (7/20) - so there is an argument to just studying whatever you feel like!
During freshers week there's normally a chance to ask questions to tutors from different departments before you make your choices so that could be a chance to go over your concerns... also, after term starts you're allowed to swap subjects within the first two weeks, so if you try it and are unhappy it's not the end of the world.
I think my overall advice would be to try a beginner's module in one of the other languages (Spanish Italian German) the classes are fun, and the workload is very very light, so you have more time to concentrate on your main subject/enjoy being a fresher!
Sorry I've rambled on, but I hope this helps!

Rambling is good! It means I can make an informed decision! Thanks for such a detailed answer, will probably go for a beginner module in something else. :biggrin: ...French was always pretty difficult anyway!
Reply 6211
Original post by derek_richmond
tip if you go to st andrews to do econ:

when making module choices, find out which lecturers do internet notes. these means you dont need to attend class and can just print off the internet notes 2 weeks before class and cram!

for Environmental Economics (3rd year module) I didnt go to a single lecture and almost got a 1st in that module!

hey-
do you think its worth applying to St Andrews with AAAB at AS LEvel. I'm going to try and get an A*AA/A*AB prediction?
Also, how did you find the course-is it more eco based or maths based? =)
Thanks!
Right, I have a couple more questions:
1. Can we join the local library? I.e. the town/county one rather than the university. If it makes any difference, I am a member of my local one in England.
2. Do the halls have Sky tv? I must watch Glee!

Oh and if anybody knows the answer to the question I posted before, that would be awesome - does the university itself employ students for anything?
Argh, sorry, I have another question. :frown:

Ok so I was having a gander at this -

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/newstudents/ArtsandDivinity/

Which is basically what someone posted before and it's an overview of what needs to be done before 'matriculation' and it says something about paying fees and things but it says [unless I am reading it incorrectly] that fees should be paid on orientation week but student finance doesn't come in until the week later...? Am I going crazy for no reason or do they expect us to pay with no student finance or...?

Sorry, this may be an extremely dense question but money and student finance and fees and things are the one big thing that is scaring the hell out of me... :s-smilie:

EDIT: actually...scratch that, it all seems pretty scary...
(edited 12 years ago)
Argh, sorry, I have another question. :frown:

Ok so I was having a gander at this -

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/newstudents/ArtsandDivinity/

Which is basically what someone posted before and it's an overview of what needs to be done before 'matriculation' and it says something about paying fees and things but it says [unless I am reading it incorrectly] that fees should be paid on orientation week but student finance doesn't come in until the week later...? Am I going crazy for no reason or do they expect us to pay with no student finance or...?

Sorry, this may be an extremely dense question but money and student finance and fees and things are the one big thing that is scaring the hell out of me... :s-smilie:

EDIT: actually...scratch that, it all seems pretty scary...

Tuition fees should be paid automatically by the Government. You never get the money, it goes from student finance to the Uni. During pre-matriculation (which is done on iSaint I think) you will just tick a box about fees. If student finance is paying them tick the relevant box and it's all done. nothing to worry about :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by theshefschef
Tuition fees should be paid automatically by the Government. You never get the money, it goes from student finance to the Uni. During pre-matriculation (which is done on iSaint I think) you will just tick a box about fees. If student finance is paying them tick the relevant box and it's all done. nothing to worry about :smile:

I thought that was the case but the way it was written [something about bringing a cheque or debit card to pay outstanding fees] sent me into a mad frenzy of fear!

I don't suppose you know when we pay for accommodation? They won't expect us to pay before student finance comes through will they? :confused:

...I'm such a drip. :frown:
I thought that was the case but the way it was written [something about bringing a cheque or debit card to pay outstanding fees] sent me into a mad frenzy of fear!

I don't suppose you know when we pay for accommodation? They won't expect us to pay before student finance comes through will they? :confused:

All the information about paying for accommodation can be found here

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/money/Tuitionfees/Payingfees/

Towards the bottom of the page. Either in one chunk or instalments. It appears 24th September is the deadline for payment during semester 1. Check the right hand side of that page there is a link to where you can pay as and when the time comes.(I presume that's how its done anyway. I can't actually remember" There are instructions somewhere though) Sorry I can't remember exactly the process, I'm going into 3rd year (scarily) so can't remember the exact technicalities from two years ago. If you follow the "what to do before you arrive" page for prospective students and make sure you keep on top of any emails they send you! And if that fails, questions on here should be answered pretty well!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6217

Accommodation fees can be payed in three instalments. The best way to work it with student finance is to set up a recurring payment plan for October, January and April. The date is like a week or so after you get each payment.
It's the option at the very bottom of this page.

you have to set up the recurring payment plan before 24th september to matriculate.

As for tuition fees, they'll just be paid directly to the uni. :smile:
Reply 6218
Original post by hayheyley
Right, I have a couple more questions:
1. Can we join the local library? I.e. the town/county one rather than the university. If it makes any difference, I am a member of my local one in England.
2. Do the halls have Sky tv? I must watch Glee!

Oh and if anybody knows the answer to the question I posted before, that would be awesome - does the university itself employ students for anything?

1. I'm not even sure if there is a local library. What do you want to join it for? There will certainly be one in Dundee, a 20 minute bus ride away, if it's really important to you.

2. No halls have Sky TV in your room, however you will be able to watch Glee on the internet if you can find the right websites. In some halls (probably only the 'posher' ones, New Hall certainly) then there is a huge TV with Sky in the common room. I've been in NH for the last three years and it was common for a load of girls to go and watch X-factor/Glee/whatever else together in the evenings. Not when the Champions League was on though, nu-uh... :colone:
Original post by Oh-WOW
Accommodation fees can be payed in three instalments. The best way to work it with student finance is to set up a recurring payment plan for October, January and April. The date is like a week or so after you get each payment.
It's the option at the very bottom of this page.

you have to set up the recurring payment plan before 24th september to matriculate.

As for tuition fees, they'll just be paid directly to the uni. :smile:

Haha, yes, I saw that after I calmed myself down and decided to read more before I got myself into a tizzy! Thanks though XD you must all wonder how I even got into St Andrews after asking so many ridiculous questions and failing to read a page of text from start to finish... :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending