The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I know about BSMS :h: having applied and failed twice I am slightly bitter about them :tongue: but in all fairness I think there application procedure is about as random as pulling names out of a hat :teehee:
Original post by Fi-Bi-G
I've just sat my UKCat for entry to BSMS 2012. :s-smilie:

The computer calculator is a nightmare. Definitely slowed me down in the quantitive section.

I scored an overall average of 600 but two subsections were over 600 and two were under 600. I know that means I'm very average but I'm not sure if that is a pass or fail.

I'm starting the Access to Medicine Course at Sussex Downs College in Lewes and had my interview in BSMS back in June for the 2012 start. It is a linked place dependent on performance on the Access Course and I'm waiting to hear if I'm one of 7 or 8 which will achieve the linked place out of a cohort of about 18. If I'm not, then I get another chance in February where they select another 4 or 5. If I don't get a linked place, thats it no Doctor!!

If I get a linked place, I'm not sure how much of an impact this UKCat score will have. I'm very average on this test but have the brains to complete the degree and what I believe is a strong personals statement but we'll see.

Just waiting to hear now from BSMS... I wish they'd hurry up my nerves are in shreds!!!:smile:

Im starting at SD this September too, but I didnt get the linked interview as I was on the waiting list. Someone dropped out, so they gave me an offer yesterday, to which I am elated. We will both get another chance in Feb. Was it you who dropped out?
Reply 22
Username: doctork2
Course Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent): Canadian-OSSD: 97% bio, 91% chem, 97% math - overall 92%
AS Levels: N/A
A2 Levels: N/A
International Student? Yes - Canada
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant?: No.. trying to get in with 1 shot! :smile:
Reply 23
I'm thinking about applying here, though not 100% yet. :tongue: (If only there was a fifth option!)

Username Joseppea
Course Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent) 9A*,2A,B,C,D
AS Levels Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, General Studies*, Graphics
A2 Levels Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, General Studies*
International Student? No
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? First Time Applicant

*We don't actually have General studies lessons, we just sit the exam and do a bit of revision during weekly tutorial -_-
Username: Steerforth
Course: Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*A*AAAAABBB
AS Levels Biology a, Chemistry a, Physics b, Economics a
A2 Levels Biology A, Chemistry A, Economics A
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? Reapplicant (2nd time round and currently working as an HCA)

Good enough to get an interview do we think?
Reply 25
Original post by Steerforth
Username: Steerforth
Course: Medicine(A100)
GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*A*AAAAABBB
AS Levels Biology a, Chemistry a, Physics b, Economics a
A2 Levels Biology A, Chemistry A, Economics A
Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant? Reapplicant (2nd time round and currently working as an HCA)

Good enough to get an interview do we think?

Hello there! I think you are academically a very good contender. And since BSMS is not a UKCAT whore, personal statement and reference permitting you should be able to bag yourself an interview.
Where did you apply the first time?:smile:
Original post by belle-a
Hello there! I think you are academically a very good contender. And since BSMS is not a UKCAT whore, personal statement and reference permitting you should be able to bag yourself an interview.
Where did you apply the first time?:smile:

First time round I applied to HYMS, UEA, Leicester and Leeds, and got two interviews out of it from HYMS and Leicester.

I hope to get a really good reference from the doctors and nurses I work with, and also from my school. I'll put my all into making my personal statement all it can be, hopefully with the help of some TSR helpers. :biggrin:

Love to go to BSMS but I need realistic chances of getting in as I really don't fancy another gap year!
Reply 27
First time round I applied to HYMS, UEA, Leicester and Leeds, and got two interviews out of it from HYMS and Leicester.

I hope to get a really good reference from the doctors and nurses I work with, and also from my school. I'll put my all into making my personal statement all it can be, hopefully with the help of some TSR helpers. :biggrin:

Love to go to BSMS but I need realistic chances of getting in as I really don't fancy another gap year!

I know what you mean about taking another gap year. It can feel frustrating. When it comes to personal statement, the best advice i know is making sure you talk about what you have learnt from the experiences as opposed to just enlisting them. I know BSMS is very keen on work experience and volunteering and i think your job should give you a lot to talk about. So emphasise on the key skills; teamwork, empathy, effective communication and the lot and give examples of the times you've developed them and i think you should do great. Just try and make the most of what could potentially be your last ucas application eh?

Personally I wouldn't apply here :erm: I may be bitter but having applied twice to them with two completely different applications I have been left bitter. On my first attempt my personal statement was bad, I had no W/E whatsoever and so realistically deserved to be rejected to be honest and I scored 25/30 with 25.5/30 being the cut-off for interview. On my second attempt to try and get into BSMS, I had a much improved application, I had a lot of W/E, more voluntary work as well as a job as an HCA, and better grades than I was predicted first time round. During this second try I got 24/30, 1 point below what I got in the first year with no W/E. I have no idea what BSMS are looking for to be honest, and I got interviews at the other three universities I applied to. I just don't like their admissions policy and if I were on another gap year, I would avoid BSMS like the plague despite it being a fantastic medical school and great place to study :h:
Reply 29
Original post by a moist feeling
Personally I wouldn't apply here :erm: I may be bitter but having applied twice to them with two completely different applications I have been left bitter. On my first attempt my personal statement was bad, I had no W/E whatsoever and so realistically deserved to be rejected to be honest and I scored 25/30 with 25.5/30 being the cut-off for interview. On my second attempt to try and get into BSMS, I had a much improved application, I had a lot of W/E, more voluntary work as well as a job as an HCA, and better grades than I was predicted first time round. During this second try I got 24/30, 1 point below what I got in the first year with no W/E. I have no idea what BSMS are looking for to be honest, and I got interviews at the other three universities I applied to. I just don't like their admissions policy and if I were on another gap year, I would avoid BSMS like the plague despite it being a fantastic medical school and great place to study :h:

You probably couldn't care less after three interviews but did you ask them for feedback?
Original post by belle-a
You probably couldn't care less after three interviews but did you ask them for feedback?

I did ask for feedback at the time and all I got was a score out of 30 each time with the second being less than the first. I believe my academics got 15/15 and then I somehow managed to score less for my other parts the second year with so much more :tongue:
Reply 31
I did ask for feedback at the time and all I got was a score out of 30 each time with the second being less than the first. I believe my academics got 15/15 and then I somehow managed to score less for my other parts the second year with so much more :tongue:

Oh okay. That must suck. Maybe it was just not meant to be. The most important thing is that you do have a medical school to go to. Where are you going?
Original post by belle-a
Oh okay. That must suck. Maybe it was just not meant to be. The most important thing is that you do have a medical school to go to. Where are you going?

Yes that's true and I'm happy to answer questions about medical applications in general :h:

I am going to Barts and the London :woo:
I've visited the website and I've seen the entry requirement but what about GCSE's? How did they use that and how much emphasis do they place on the UKCAT

Thanks.
Reply 34
Yes that's true and I'm happy to answer questions about medical applications in general :h:

I am going to Barts and the London :woo:

Congratulations! I think your experience will come handy so lay the bitterness to rest :wink: and pass down your invaluable knowledge.
Reply 35
haven't decided yet :tongue:

was definitely going to, but now i think maybe i should take advantage of my ukcat and go for ukcat-hungry places?

how exactly do they select for interview?
Reply 36
Original post by The Polar Dude
I've visited the website and I've seen the entry requirement but what about GCSE's? How did they use that and how much emphasis do they place on the UKCAT

Thanks.

This is what it says in the 2012 prospectus:
We are interested to see what additional information we might gain from the UKCAT scores, and so we will be using the UKCAT results selectively and with care in informing the judgements of our admissions assessors in making offers to individual students. This is because the UKCAT test is relatively new. An above average UKCAT score is likely to be an advantage but a lower score is not necessarily a disadvantage if outweighed by other factors in your application as a whole.

As evidence of the necessary literacy and numeracy, you must have qualifications in English and Mathematics equivalent to at least GCSE grade B, or an IELTS score of 7.5 or above with at least 7.0 in each section if English is not your first language and you do not have a GCSE grade B.
Original post by belle-a
This is what it says in the 2012 prospectus:
We are interested to see what additional information we might gain from the UKCAT scores, and so we will be using the UKCAT results selectively and with care in informing the judgements of our admissions assessors in making offers to individual students. This is because the UKCAT test is relatively new. An above average UKCAT score is likely to be an advantage but a lower score is not necessarily a disadvantage if outweighed by other factors in your application as a whole.

As evidence of the necessary literacy and numeracy, you must have qualifications in English and Mathematics equivalent to at least GCSE grade B, or an IELTS score of 7.5 or above with at least 7.0 in each section if English is not your first language and you do not have a GCSE grade B.

Thank you very much for typing this up, in that case, I may consider applying to bsms but not too sure yet
Original post by laurie:)
haven't decided yet :tongue:

was definitely going to, but now i think maybe i should take advantage of my ukcat and go for ukcat-hungry places?

how exactly do they select for interview?

Go for the UKCAT whores, trust me it will be the best decision you ever make :h: I had a good UKCAT and applied to 3 UKCAT loving universities and got all 3 interviews :biggrin: take advantage of open admissions policy. If you can get lots of interviews, you are infinitely increasing your chances of getting an offer :h:
Reply 39
Go for the UKCAT whores, trust me it will be the best decision you ever make :h: I had a good UKCAT and applied to 3 UKCAT loving universities and got all 3 interviews :biggrin: take advantage of open admissions policy. If you can get lots of interviews, you are infinitely increasing your chances of getting an offer :h:

sounds like good advice :biggrin:

which uni's really love the ukcat? i've tried finding out but they don't give much away on their websites

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending