The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by dnumberwang
Anyone else applying for Oxbridge but not Warwick, or are anyone_can_fly and I the only ones?

:yy: Still not completely sure about it though, I mean it's an extra year of fees :dontknow:

I think for some universities you have to take some language modules

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mathematics/mathseuropecourses
Bristol stupidly doesn't tell you, and I haven't looked at any other unis

Thanks for the links.
I have never visited Warwick, but do not need STEP next year for them. So it seems stupid not too... Why are you not applying?
BTW, which Oxford college are you applying too?

Also, a general question to all applying early (i.e. for Oxbridge). What dates should send of our apps? Does it matter (as long as it is before the deadline) with any unis?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 901
I'm applying for Oxford, Bristol, Bath, Durham and Birmingham for G100 Mathematics.

Didn't do too well in my AS's overall, but my maths result was good enough, maybe.
Reply 902
Original post by twig
Thanks for the links.
I have never visited Warwick, but do not need STEP next year for them. So it seems stupid not too... Why are you not applying?

Also, a general question to all applying early (i.e. for Oxbridge). What dates should send of our apps? Does it matter (as long as it is before the deadline) with any unis?

What makes you think you don't need STEP next year for Warwick? Often, even if you've made the grade already in year 12, they'll ask for a STEP grade in conjunction with your other A-levels in year 13.
Reply 903
Original post by around
What makes you think you don't need STEP next year for Warwick? Often, even if you've made the grade already in year 12, they'll ask for a STEP grade in conjunction with your other A-levels in year 13.

I got a good grade for STEP I this year... so I thought next year A*AA will be needed?:confused:
So they will ask me to repeat the exam to obtain the same grade next year? I thought someone on TSR (farhan.hanif1993?) did exactly this, and was given a non-step offer.
Reply 904
When I applied to Warwick (this was for 2009 entry) I had a 2 in STEP I already when their standard offer was AAB+2. I was asked to repeat STEP and get at least a 2 in STEP II/III.

Things could have changed since then, though.
Reply 905
Original post by around
When I applied to Warwick (this was for 2009 entry) I had a 2 in STEP I already when their standard offer was AAB+2. I was asked to repeat STEP and get at least a 2 in STEP II/III.

OK. Thanks for the info.
Original post by around

Well Farhan got a 1 in STEP I early and warwick gave him an offer with no STEP requirement. Could be an exception...
nota bene resit or reapplied or something and had STEP I before applying and was required to get a 2 in STEP II or III.
Reply 908
Wayhey! Think ill join this thread now :smile: Oh the joys of maths... LOL
Original post by twig
Thanks for the links.

I haven't visited yet but I just don't like the idea of studying at a campus university surrounded by fields. As you can see all of the universities in my sig are city universities

Probably Worcester, maybe Balliol.
Original post by ben-smith
your UMS shouldn't matter in that respect but, obviously, they will make it harder for you to get an A* but by no means impossible. If you don't fancy retaking then don't because you don't need too.

welcome to the thread btw. where are you applying?

Won't make it harder to get an A*. As long as you get at least a B, getting an A* is just as difficult to get no matter what you get in AS (that's a B or above). Since you need 90% average over A2, and 80% average over all of A-level. If you get a B at AS, you are forced by the first condition to fulfil the second condition anyway. :smile:

I haven't visited yet but I just don't like the idea of studying at a campus university surrounded by fields. As you can see all of the universities in my sig are city universities

Probably Worcester, maybe Balliol.

It's definitely worth visiting. I didn't visit until March (long after I had applied) and before I went I thought a 'campus' university would be quite boring and dull, but it was actually really good, so it became my firm! :smile:
Original post by hassi94
Won't make it harder to get an A*. As long as you get at least a B, getting an A* is just as difficult to get no matter what you get in AS (that's a B or above). Since you need 90% average over A2, and 80% average over all of A-level. If you get a B at AS, you are forced by the first condition to fulfil the second condition anyway. :smile:

Quite right. I guess I meant more generally that slightly lower module marks now will (obviously) drag down marks later but that it was not an all out disaster if you aren't applying to a university which requires UMS.
Hey, I feel like introducing some banter/small talk in the light of people becoming edgy as AS results are in and 15/10 draws near.

What is your reason for wanting to do mathematics?

I had an epiphany today on exactly why I like mathematics and it's that I find the experiments and practicals in the other sciences dull (only relatively, so looking at everything I do, practicals are still pretty good) compared to theory. I find knowing why (proofs, etc.) better than knowing how things work (independent/dependent variables...). It's hard to explain but I hope you get what I mean. I've always known that sciences (in the general term) is always what I wish to pursue rather than the arts but I've found out that the reason above is why I have singled out mathematics last year. Would you guys say that's a decent reason for my choice (since the physical sciences overlap heavily with mathematics anyway)? And of course I enjoy the problems, etc. (although they're not much different from physical sciences so that's not my main argument).

What about you guys?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 914
Original post by Reminisce
Hey, I feel like introducing some banter/small talk in the light of people becoming edgy as AS results are in and 15/10 draws near.

I had an epiphany today on exactly why I like mathematics and it's that I find the experiments and practicals in the other sciences dull compared to theory. I find knowing why (proofs, etc.) better than knowing how things work (independent/dependent variables...). It's hard to explain but I hope you get what I mean. I've always known that sciences (in the general term) is always what I wish to pursue rather than the arts but I've found out that the reason above is why I have singled out mathematics last year. Would you guys say that's a decent reason for my choice (since the physical sciences overlap heavily with mathematics anyway)? And of course I enjoy the problems, etc. (although they're not much different from physical sciences so that's not my main argument).

What about you guys?

Yeah actually that's the main basis for my choice, I find proof by empirical means just doesn't interest me, because it isn't a way of proving a statement in all cases.
Reply 915
Original post by Reminisce

I had an epiphany today on exactly why I like mathematics and it's that I find the experiments and practicals in the other sciences dull compared to theory. I find knowing why (proofs, etc.) better than knowing how things work (independent/dependent variables...). It's hard to explain but I hope you get what I mean. I've always known that sciences (in the general term) is always what I wish to pursue rather than the arts but I've found out that the reason above is why I have singled out mathematics last year. Would you guys say that's a decent reason for my choice (since the physical sciences overlap heavily with mathematics anyway)? And of course I enjoy the problems, etc. (although they're not much different from physical sciences so that's not my main argument).

What about you guys?

Interesting :smile: I do understand what you mean; however, I have not always had my eye set on Science/Maths.

My mind is a strange one. By the end of my GCSEs I was insistent that I would end up studying either Physics or Music at University (Or Music college, maybe). That changed a lot though throughout the course of my AS levels.

Surprisingly, I only took to Maths in the past year. Before I had used it as a tool really. I had never been in the top set for Maths, just the second set and I didn't have the option in GCSE to sit the A* module so I opted to study at lunchtimes and after school sessions to do it. I did and I got an A* which made me very happy. But as I say, it wasn't until part way through AS that I started enjoying it :smile:
Original post by Gamma
Interesting :smile: I do understand what you mean; however, I have not always had my eye set on Science/Maths.

My mind is a strange one. By the end of my GCSEs I was insistent that I would end up studying either Physics or Music at University (Or Music college, maybe). That changed a lot though throughout the course of my AS levels.

Surprisingly, I only took to Maths in the past year. Before I had used it as a tool really. I had never been in the top set for Maths, just the second set and I didn't have the option in GCSE to sit the A* module so I opted to study at lunchtimes and after school sessions to do it. I did and I got an A* which made me very happy. But as I say, it wasn't until part way through AS that I started enjoying it :smile:

So you had no history of liking Maths earlier on? I guess everyone's different :smile:

I was a strange child - I was basically obsessed with Maths, and I even had races with my older brother to finish *his* homework. (Oh god... :lol:) Then school drained the fun out of it for a decade or so, and I only got interested again at AS, same as you. Now it's looking like it may come full circle :tongue:

Best of luck everyone :smile:

edit: forgot to say congrats on the A*! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Who evaluates people's applications? General admissions tutor or a subject tutor? (Say, in Cambridge for example).
Original post by Gamma
Surprisingly, I only took to Maths in the past year... it wasn't until part way through AS that I started enjoying it :smile:

Same here. GCSE was infuriatingly dull. :colonhash:

I know I liked it at middle school - our teacher used to make us race to complete a random 9x9 times tables grid and I got really competitive about it :tongue:

Who's doing Further Maths here?
Reply 919
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Same here. GCSE was infuriatingly dull. :colonhash:

I know I liked it at middle school - our teacher used to make us race to complete a random 9x9 times tables grid and I got really competitive about it :tongue:

Who's doing Further Maths here?

Moi!

I never enjoyed maths until year 11, and that was for the wrong reasons anyway. But a certain teacher managed to get me an A* (he was a god) so i decided to take up maths at college and i love it!

Latest