The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
S1, although M1 is supposed to be fun/ good if you do Physics. My school sits M1 as an A2 module. Oooh. Squiffy kann Deutsch sprechen! Fand du Deutsch wirklich interessant, oder sehr schwer zu tun? Apparently I'm good at literature, so I might do well in the essay in the A2 paper, but the english to german translation is going to be a bugger :/

btw, DD, Squiff and everyone else, I'll be upset if you disappear when you get to uni. I get worried and assume you're doing really badly and aren't posting because you can't, not because you dont need us.

Yeah I won't disappear and tbh your right often when I don't post it is because things are bad and I can't. Finally booked accomodation today so it feels real.

Ah your school did the same as mine. Trust m1 was so not fun lol learnt all the stupid formulas and in the exam they didn't work. Erm as German was okay and speaking it is so useful but the workload from the teacher was huge and scared me off so dis writing an essay about the cold war I've already learnt about it so thought it'd be dull. I wish I'd carried on with German though tbh it all comes out when I'm drunk lol x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there :h: I'm afraid that anything that makes you obsess about your food like that can be considered an ED, even if you don't want to call it that. Your body may be used to you being underweight now but that's really not the way it should be. I think it may help if you see someone about your body dysmorphia and restricting (anorexia doesn't mean you have to eat NOTHING).
You're not wasting anyone's time :hugs:

What you say does seem quite logical, I never really thought of it that way. Thanks for your support and advice, you're really kind :smile:
.snowflake.
S1, although M1 is supposed to be fun/ good if you do Physics. My school sits M1 as an A2 module. Oooh. Squiffy kann Deutsch sprechen! Fand du Deutsch wirklich interessant, oder sehr schwer zu tun? Apparently I'm good at literature, so I might do well in the essay in the A2 paper, but the english to german translation is going to be a bugger :/

btw, DD, Squiff and everyone else, I'll be upset if you disappear when you get to uni. I get worried and assume you're doing really badly and aren't posting because you can't, not because you dont need us.

:hugs: I'll keep posting.

I just made appointments with my GP and my Psych and I'm bricking it. Luckily the GP appointment was automated and I know the receptionist so I'm not too bad after using the phone but I'm so scared how close it will getting to university and nothing will be sorted out by then. I could only get an appointment to see my psych on the 22nd of September and I'm either moving on the 24th or the 25th and a referral will take months won't it? My GP's appointment is on the 2nd September which is like the week after next. It's so close and nothing is ready and I'm panicking a little. I'm sure I'll feel better once everything's sorted out but I just want to go hide in a corner for a little while. I kind of feel like I don't know if I want/need help and having to sort it all out myself is making me want to not bother with it because I can't need it that much.
I know I'm supposed to take responsibility for myself and my health and all that stuff but I feel totally alone atm, like I'm the one who has to call my Dad and ask him about therapy just because my Mum doesn't want to put aside her not talking to him thing. I don't even want therapy anymore. I have an NHS therapy appointment tomorrow and it feels too late to start and I'm resenting absolutely everyone because it feels like nobody gave me any support after I left hospital. But then most of it is my fault because I pushed them all away! :sigh: stupid brain.

Hope you're all ok! :jumphug:
Original post by squiff93
Yeah I won't disappear and tbh your right often when I don't post it is because things are bad and I can't. Finally booked accomodation today so it feels real.

Ah your school did the same as mine. Trust m1 was so not fun lol learnt all the stupid formulas and in the exam they didn't work. Erm as German was okay and speaking it is so useful but the workload from the teacher was huge and scared me off so dis writing an essay about the cold war I've already learnt about it so thought it'd be dull. I wish I'd carried on with German though tbh it all comes out when I'm drunk lol x

I'm not the only one with a mahoosive workload from German then. Only once have we been given 200words to learn and 4 days in which to do it. Your schol does the cold war as the 20th C. history topic! We do the fall of the Berlin Wall, or atleast, thats what my group are doing, what this years Y12 choose idk. Impressive that you can speak German when du ganz betrunken bist :P. But does your word order stay fairly reasonable, or does that go weird?
:woo:

So I went to an all-you-can-eat-place and totally stuffed my face with greasy goodness. After the initial panic of "how do I go to the toilet without my friend noticing I'm throwing up - It's probably too noisy" I kinda just relaxed and forgot about it and had a brilliant afternoon :biggrin: bought me some nice things as well :biggrin: WOOO
Original post by diamonddust

I just made appointments with my GP and my Psych and I'm bricking it. Luckily the GP appointment was automated and I know the receptionist so I'm not too bad after using the phone but I'm so scared how close it will getting to university and nothing will be sorted out by then. I could only get an appointment to see my psych on the 22nd of September and I'm either moving on the 24th or the 25th and a referral will take months won't it? My GP's appointment is on the 2nd September which is like the week after next. It's so close and nothing is ready and I'm panicking a little. I'm sure I'll feel better once everything's sorted out but I just want to go hide in a corner for a little while. I kind of feel like I don't know if I want/need help and having to sort it all out myself is making me want to not bother with it because I can't need it that much.
-snip-

DD, you do need it, even if its a kick up the arse to keep eating and not to let the voices go mental, although i'm sure Toto will do that. :hugs: If you think you'll forget to mention things at your appointment you could always write it down/ make a list.
I'm not the only one with a mahoosive workload from German then. Only once have we been given 200words to learn and 4 days in which to do it. Your schol does the cold war as the 20th C. history topic! We do the fall of the Berlin Wall, or atleast, thats what my group are doing, what this years Y12 choose idk. Impressive that you can speak German when du ganz betrunken bist :P. But does your word order stay fairly reasonable, or does that go weird?

ah that sounds horrible and yano i actually think it was the fall of the german wall (shows how much attention i was paying since i'd decided before i even sat my AS i wanted to drop German) my German teacher gave the class a project for the summer hols and said they should spend 10 hours on it! that confirmed my choice.... obviously German teachers are all pretty full on -_- hmm when i drink i normally throw in the odd word or sentence..... ich habe kein bock .... ich habe kein lust ..... es macht nichts ..... natürlich und es ist mir egal :smile: are my main phrases but my word order is often pretty dodgy drunk and sober if i'm honest.

my day has gone to ****! i need to calm down and stop panicing about everything because i've gone back to starving and binging and purging :frown: and i really don't feel well physically
DD, you do need it, even if its a kick up the arse to keep eating and not to let the voices go mental, although i'm sure Toto will do that. :hugs: If you think you'll forget to mention things at your appointment you could always write it down/ make a list.

Haha! :biggrin: Thanks hun. :hugs:

Random tooth related issue...I'm freaking out. I just looked in the mirror and my two front teeth have moved forward overnight- they always stuck out a bit but now I'm in like... buck teeth territory- and I have a crack at the bottom of one of them and they have weird white spots on them! I didn't do anything to them and they didn't look like that yesterday! How can your teeth change overnight? I went to the dentist like last month and everything was fine and I've never had cracks in my tooth! And they were normal when I went to bed! What the hell?? :afraid: I press them and they feel like they can move even though they're not moving... :rolleyes:

I just got my accommodation offer for uni. I have my ensuite! I'm officially excited again! I keep going from excited in the day to terrified at night! :colone:
Haha! :biggrin: Thanks hun. :hugs:

Random tooth related issue...I'm freaking out. I just looked in the mirror and my two front teeth have moved forward overnight- they always stuck out a bit but now I'm in like... buck teeth territory- and I have a crack at the bottom of one of them and they have weird white spots on them! I didn't do anything to them and they didn't look like that yesterday! How can your teeth change overnight? I went to the dentist like last month and everything was fine and I've never had cracks in my tooth! And they were normal when I went to bed! What the hell?? :afraid: I press them and they feel like they can move even though they're not moving... :rolleyes:

I just got my accommodation offer for uni. I have my ensuite! I'm officially excited again! I keep going from excited in the day to terrified at night! :colone:

Mine feel like that if I've worn my retainer. Hence why i don't wear it that much. I know i'm going to get told off for that tomorrow... but if I wear it, its really,really painful and my teeth feel dodgy for hours after I've taken it off.
ah that sounds horrible and yano i actually think it was the fall of the german wall (shows how much attention i was paying since i'd decided before i even sat my AS i wanted to drop German) my German teacher gave the class a project for the summer hols and said they should spend 10 hours on it! that confirmed my choice.... obviously German teachers are all pretty full on -_- hmm when i drink i normally throw in the odd word or sentence..... ich habe kein bock .... ich habe kein lust ..... es macht nichts ..... natürlich und es ist mir egal :smile: are my main phrases but my word order is often pretty dodgy drunk and sober if i'm honest.

my day has gone to ****! i need to calm down and stop panicing about everything because i've gone back to starving and binging and purging :frown: and i really don't feel well physically

Squiff. Calm down, whats up PM if you want a rant, as long as its not a drunken rant, I hate those.
I have... what can best be described as a disordered way of thinking about food and my body in general.
I always think about food, and calories and my weight, but I never put anything into action so to say.
I haven't had a very large appetite for a long time (at least 2/3 years) and I often count calories and skip meals (the skipping is usually just because I don't notice or I'm not hungry).
I often think about reducing the calories I eat and trying not to eat but I never put it into action as I already have health issues.
And although I am average weight (115lbs and 5'2") I always think that I'd feel better if I was 95lbs.
Is it normal to think this way?

I know I'm supposed to take responsibility for myself and my health and all that stuff but I feel totally alone atm, like I'm the one who has to call my Dad and ask him about therapy just because my Mum doesn't want to put aside her not talking to him thing. I don't even want therapy anymore. I have an NHS therapy appointment tomorrow and it feels too late to start and I'm resenting absolutely everyone because it feels like nobody gave me any support after I left hospital. But then most of it is my fault because I pushed them all away! :sigh: stupid brain.

About the not getting things sorted in time - they will be and even if they are not, you'll be okay and get through. You're strong and you're lovely and you've made it so bloody far you'll be ready to fight anything that tries to trip you up. And it is not your fault - pushing them away was almost certinaly your defence mechanism; you didn't want them to share your pain, didn't want them to get hurt. You were protecting them, so how on earth can you turn that all upon yourself?

You're also not alone. There'll be support at uni and there's support with your family even if it is a little bit on the weak side, and there is support TENFOLD on this thread where everyone knows you're going to be okay and will give you the support should you need it. 'Kay? :penguinhug:

And I'm sorry to hear about your teeth! I'm sure there's nothing wrong - teeth do not shift overnight like that - but perhaps you should see your dentist again soon to put you at ease/check everything's okay? Did you use to have braces when you were younger? My teeth sometimes feel odd if I haven't worn my retainer for a few days or so.
Reply 1452
Original post by Anonymous
I have... what can best be described as a disordered way of thinking about food and my body in general.
I always think about food, and calories and my weight, but I never put anything into action so to say.
I haven't had a very large appetite for a long time (at least 2/3 years) and I often count calories and skip meals (the skipping is usually just because I don't notice or I'm not hungry).
I often think about reducing the calories I eat and trying not to eat but I never put it into action as I already have health issues.
And although I am average weight (115lbs and 5'2") I always think that I'd feel better if I was 95lbs.
Is it normal to think this way?

I know what you mean. It;s certainly normal for people to think 'oh I would love to be such a such a weight' as I am sure many have, but it is a way of thinking that isn't quite healthy. You are at a very great weight, and you must look great too! Only reason why I say that is because I am about 5'1" and around your weight and I am very happy with my weight. But, like you said, being a girl etc I too think oh what if I lost some weight, but trust me I know I won't look good if I dropped down to even 100lbs let alone 95lbs (tho this past year my mindset hasn't been like that, but that's the nxt para lol).

As for your eating habits, I used to have a massive appetite, but I was a very healthy eater, just because that is the lifestyle that I have followed since I was a few years old as I have asian parents so we never/hardly have junk/ready meals etc. But this past year I had some emotional problems and lost some control over my life, so I tried to control my eating and restrict myself to eating just the right amount to not allow my body to go into starvation mode, tho it wasn't a healthy amount; I think it was just around 1000 to 1200 calories. I was also pretty active during the day, so it was absolutely NOT enough, I should be eating waaay more, well like I used to really.

Now I have some control back in my life, I have calmed down and beginning to snap out of my obsession. Essentially what I am trying to say is that as long as you eat healthily, sometimes exercise, you don't need to count calories, at least not to the very decimal of a number. ESPECIALLY since you have some health issues, your body needs VITAL nutrients that you get from food. Make sure you eat your fruit and veg, have a nice amount of good carbohydrates in your diet and protein and your body will thank you for it. :smile:

Stay well, stay healthy and take care of yourself, love yourself. :smile:

Keep us posted if you want as we're all here if you need support!

Lots of love xxx
recently my chest has been hurting at even the slightest activity - after walking up stairs etc i feel completely out of breath and get this really sharp pain in my chest and i can feel my heart beating really hard :/ does anyone know if this is something to worry about or if it means i'm just really unfit?
recently my chest has been hurting at even the slightest activity - after walking up stairs etc i feel completely out of breath and get this really sharp pain in my chest and i can feel my heart beating really hard :/ does anyone know if this is something to worry about or if it means i'm just really unfit?

It means your heart is struggling. You are getting palpitations and that is NEVER good. Go see a doctor, Stat.

You will be asked to have an ECG, probably with bloods to check electrolyte balance. You may have an imbalance between sodium and potassium, as is most regular with purging behaviour. To try and balance it out eat some dried apricots and bananas, dried apricots being one of the richest sources of potassium around.
Just had therapy. Gah, wish it didn't make me feel worse. I said things I've never vocalised before and he didn't even push me. He said that I didn't have to say anything I didn't want to say. So it was all me and now I feel awful. And he weighed me. :sigh: I hate it when things aren't stable. Nothing feels stable right now. :sad:
Reply 1456
Diamond, nothing in this life is consistent... nor completely within our control. If they were, life would be ultimately a boring endeavour! X
Reply 1457
Antiaris is absolutely correct. Whereas I have never physically purged, when I had that "cardiac event" (the heart-attack precursor) it began as a tight gripping pain in my chest. It's effectively when your body has exhausted breaking down your other muscles and starts to seek nutrients by breaking down the heart muscle.

Terrifying thought, right? But enduring the ED you switch your mind off and go, "Nah, I can get through this no bother." - continue down the same route, keep restricting, then BAM. Have a minor heart attack. At 26 years old. As I did. Terrifying.

I am perhaps going to make a hypocritical statement right now however; I have had a very difficult last few days. I will share this with you regardless.

This is the time of year that, within a two-week period, five close family members (myself included) have our birthdays and as such, parties are inevitable. However on my recovery I have found I am eating 2200 kcal on my meal plans, and over the past week or so have maintained at 96.6lb. This morning, I was 2lb heavier for absolutely no reason. It made me worry that the weight gain was "saving up" to sneak-attack me and freak me out. I have eaten no more or less than I have for the past week but this sneak-attack weight gain scared me a lot.

And with the birthday party stuff coming up, all I am now thinking is "just think - if you can get blindsided by that pound and a half overnight, think of how much it'll nail you after two weeks of birthday celebrations!"

Needless to say, despite fluoxetene/olanzapine, my anxieties are ear-brain-seeptastic.
Original post by Antiaris
It means your heart is struggling. You are getting palpitations and that is NEVER good. Go see a doctor, Stat.

You will be asked to have an ECG, probably with bloods to check electrolyte balance. You may have an imbalance between sodium and potassium, as is most regular with purging behaviour. To try and balance it out eat some dried apricots and bananas, dried apricots being one of the richest sources of potassium around.

Thanks for replying. I'm still due to go for a blood test I don't think i'll get away with avoiding it again because the Dr is more forceful than the nurses and will actually have a go at me for not getting it. I'm confused at the moment I just want to hide away and ignore all the symptoms because I don't want to be having counselling ect while I'm at university so i don't want to accept I'm not ok yet.

Original post by TotoMimo
Antiaris is absolutely correct. Whereas I have never physically purged, when I had that "cardiac event" (the heart-attack precursor) it began as a tight gripping pain in my chest. It's effectively when your body has exhausted breaking down your other muscles and starts to seek nutrients by breaking down the heart muscle.

Terrifying thought, right? But enduring the ED you switch your mind off and go, "Nah, I can get through this no bother." - continue down the same route, keep restricting, then BAM. Have a minor heart attack. At 26 years old. As I did. Terrifying.

I am perhaps going to make a hypocritical statement right now however; I have had a very difficult last few days. I will share this with you regardless.

This is the time of year that, within a two-week period, five close family members (myself included) have our birthdays and as such, parties are inevitable. However on my recovery I have found I am eating 2200 kcal on my meal plans, and over the past week or so have maintained at 96.6lb. This morning, I was 2lb heavier for absolutely no reason. It made me worry that the weight gain was "saving up" to sneak-attack me and freak me out. I have eaten no more or less than I have for the past week but this sneak-attack weight gain scared me a lot.

And with the birthday party stuff coming up, all I am now thinking is "just think - if you can get blindsided by that pound and a half overnight, think of how much it'll nail you after two weeks of birthday celebrations!"

Needless to say, despite fluoxetene/olanzapine, my anxieties are ear-brain-seeptastic.

I'm with you on wanting to pretend that the symptoms aren't serious or a result of my eating problems. I hate going to the Dr so much and I just want to sort this out myself. People say you wouldn't walk on a broken leg to avoid going to a Dr but i think i actually would, I'd do anything to avoid it and even if that means feeling out of breath and in pain all the time i think unless i was pushed i'll always find an excuse not to go. This is why i think that when i'm at university i'm going to end up not receiving any help. It can go one of two ways though, I might just stop my behaviours for an easier life, you never know.

Toto, in order to try and enjoy the birthday celebrations like everyone else could you not promise yourself you'll give yourself a break from the scales for i don't know say 2/3 weeks? If you do that you may avoid seeing any drastic change as your body will have regulated by the time you get to a week after the event?

Sorry, i wanted to try to help/suggest something - but really i'm useless :frown:
can i have some support please? :frown: i am freaking the **** out. i've had a really hard day. lunch was a massive portion of main and the dessert was carrot cake and icecream, i find that really hard and i dont like carrot cake nor the icecream here. then i went on coffee trip and challenged myself to have a GRANDE MOCHA FRAPP (not allowed the light ones so we're talking about 250 on top of my regular MP which is 3000+). The OT who was with us made a massive deal of accusatilory quizzing me and the poor barista, making sure it was WHOLE MILK FAT SUGAR CALORIES etc etc, in front of EVERYONE. i was trying to push the calories and fat and sugar out my mind and just enjoy a treat i was trying to be ok with allowing myself to have. made me feel like ****.

found out another patient had been throwing up in plant pots on the balcony. another patient is repeatedly throwing up in her room despite being on two-to-one. another good friend of mine has discharged herself from IP at a bmi of 13.6 as she couldn't cope with having to eat.

trigger at tea

Spoiler

I could really use some support. We also get weighed tomorrow and my weight is going to be up masses, my last BMI was 17.1. Everyone is making a massive deal of how 'quickly' my weight is going up (pretty steadily a kilo a week) which is also triggering the **** out of me.

Please? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest