The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Caolan
I've got 3A*'s, 6A's and a B. There int't exactly a guarantee of an interview with those grades lol.

Edinburgh don't (generally) interview undergrads anyway unless there's something in your application they want to clear up or better understand.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone know how friendly Edinburgh are to graduate applicants? I know they interview all the shortlisted grads.
Original post by Georgie Doll
Great decision to apply to Edinburgh guys :biggrin:

I applied last year and will be starting the course next month (so excited!) so I'd be happy to help with any questions you have about admissions, the course etc. I was a Scottish applicant so I don't know too much about the English requirements but I'll do my best to help!

Edinburgh is a fantastic city with a great medical school, you won't regret applying there!

Just interested to know...what made you choose Edinburgh over the other med schools? Well done for getting all 4 offers! :smile:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Just interested to know...what made you choose Edinburgh over the other med schools? Well done for getting all 4 offers! :smile:

Thank you :smile: I always thought that I would choose Glasgow if I was lucky enough to get offers from both Glasgow and Edinburgh but after I went to the post-offer visit days, I realised that the Edinburgh course was much more suited to my style of learning. At the time, it was still very unclear what changes were being made to the Glasgow course so that made me unsure and after listening to opinions from current medical students I thought that I would struggle with a PBL course. The integrated course at Edinburgh was a much better option for me.

As for Aberdeen and Dundee, it was much more difficult to travel to both from my hometown than it would be to Edinburgh - and I'm a bit of a homebird! I really liked the structure of the courses, particularly Dundee, but I couldn't see myself living there and I think it is just as important that you love the city you will be living in (as you will be spending five/six years there!).

Overall, Edinburgh gave me all that I wanted; only an hour away from my family on the train, a great course which is best for my style of learning and a fantastic city.

Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by Georgie Doll
Thank you :smile: I always thought that I would choose Glasgow if I was lucky enough to get offers from both Glasgow and Edinburgh but after I went to the post-offer visit days, I realised that the Edinburgh course was much more suited to my style of learning. At the time, it was still very unclear what changes were being made to the Glasgow course so that made me unsure and after listening to opinions from current medical students I thought that I would struggle with a PBL course. The integrated course at Edinburgh was a much better option for me.

As for Aberdeen and Dundee, it was much more difficult to travel to both from my hometown than it would be to Edinburgh - and I'm a bit of a homebird! I really liked the structure of the courses, particularly Dundee, but I couldn't see myself living there and I think it is just as important that you love the city you will be living in (as you will be spending five/six years there!).

Overall, Edinburgh gave me all that I wanted; only an hour away from my family on the train, a great course which is best for my style of learning and a fantastic city.

Where are you thinking of applying?

Same four med schools as you! Although at the moment, Glasgow would be my preference because it would mean I wouldn't have to move (I'd just commute from home) since I don't know if I could really afford living/accommodation costs and like you, I'm a bit of a homebird! :p:
Reply 25
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Does anyone know how friendly Edinburgh are to graduate applicants? I know they interview all the shortlisted grads.

I would like an answer to this question too :biggrin:
Original post by baztech
I would like an answer to this question too :biggrin:

Are you a fellow grad applicant? :smile: Where are you applying to?
Reply 27
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Are you a fellow grad applicant? :smile: Where are you applying to?

Yes, yes I am. Not 100% yet but most definate up in scotland. Yourself?
Original post by baztech
Yes, yes I am. Not 100% yet but most definate up in scotland. Yourself?

Same. I'm from Glasgow so makes sense to apply to the Scottish medical schools if only for the financial benefit! I think either Dundee or Glasgow would be my number 1 choice but all depends on getting a good enough UKCAT!
I hope everyone got what they were after results-wise today :smile: Not long until it all kicks off now...
I've heard that Edinburgh only put 8% of their final decision weighting on UKCAT.. so if I get a not-so-good UKCAT.. does it really matter?? This is just to put my mind at rest as mine is next week :s-smilie:
Original post by spoinkytheduck
I've heard that Edinburgh only put 8% of their final decision weighting on UKCAT.. so if I get a not-so-good UKCAT.. does it really matter?? This is just to put my mind at rest as mine is next week :s-smilie:

8% of your score comes from your UKCAT, with the other 92% coming from academics etc. They divide UKCAT scores into 4 quartiles, with the upper getting 3 points, the second getting 2 and the third getting 1. The 8% means that the points earned during this part of the process are only a fairly small proportion of the available points overall.

With regards to the UKCAT's use in final decisions where 2+ applicants have x points and are competing to fill the same space, it is likely that the applicant with the highest UKCAT score will be given that place.

Hope that helped - good luck next week :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
i heard somewhere that they give preference according to distance - does this mean somebody living in london with decent gcse's and a good ukcat won't have as much a chance as somebody who lives in scotland???
Original post by Stegosaurus
8% of your score comes from your UKCAT, with the other 92% coming from academics etc. They divide UKCAT scores into 4 quartiles, with the upper getting 3 points, the second getting 2 and the third getting 1. The 8% means that the points earned during this part of the process are only a fairly small proportion of the available points overall.

With regards to the UKCAT's use in final decisions where 2+ candidates have x points and are competing to fill the same space, it is likely that the candidate with the highest UKCAT score will be given that place.

Hope that helped - good luck next week :smile:

Thankies! Yeah the score was what I meant.. had a little difficulty phrasing it there :tongue:

Okey doke.. so definitely not like sheffield then! :smile:
Aargh.. I guess I'll just do the test then take it from there.. no point worrying about 'what ifs' now I suppose.. just getting a tad jittery!! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Good luck everybody!!!!
Good luck everyone. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Though there seems to be a good supply of Edinburgh medics on this thread already. :awesome:

Okey doke.. so definitely not like sheffield then! :smile:
Aargh.. I guess I'll just do the test then take it from there.. no point worrying about 'what ifs' now I suppose.. just getting a tad jittery!! :tongue:

Mine's tomorrow... I suspect that it's not going to go spectacularly well but, as you've said, at least once I've done it I'll know where I stand a bit more... I'd love to apply to Sheffield but at the end of the day Edinburgh is still my first choice and hopefully a poor UKCAT won't be the be-all-and-end-all there :smile:

Original post by spacepirate-James
x

Original post by sid214
x

Thank you! :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Stegosaurus
Mine's tomorrow... I suspect that it's not going to go spectacularly well but, as you've said, at least once I've done it I'll know where I stand a bit more... I'd love to apply to Sheffield but at the end of the day Edinburgh is still my first choice and hopefully a poor UKCAT won't be the be-all-and-end-all there :smile:

Ooo!! Good luck!! You'll have to let me know how you get on!! :smile:

Yeah, I dont think I'll apply to Sheffield anyway.. (although I probably would if we could have a 5th choice :rolleyes:) but I'm still panicking over the UKCAT.. I just dont want any little thing to let me down :tongue:
Ooo!! Good luck!! You'll have to let me know how you get on!! :smile:

Yeah, I dont think I'll apply to Sheffield anyway.. (although I probably would if we could have a 5th choice :rolleyes:) but I'm still panicking over the UKCAT.. I just dont want any little thing to let me down :tongue:

I shall do just that :h: unless I'm too busy weeping in a corner to turn my laptop on of course.

I'd completely forgotten that I'd even booked to visit Sheffield so I was quite surprised to find that I actually liked it... if I don't apply there then I'll probably have to apply to Bristol which I didn't like too much.
Reply 39
Just wanna ask, I got average 625 in my average. Approximately which quartile i will be in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending