The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gold.s19
I hope to get A* and A for Math and Further Math respectively, A for Econ too.
Should I take another AS subject? :confused:

I only did 3 A-levels, dropped chemistry after AS.

I suggest you to take EPQ which would look better on your personal statement.

During my interview I spent 15 minutes talking about it and my interviewer was genuinely interested.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 61
Original post by Edwin Okli
I'll be applying for Imperial for Maths and Computer Science, I reckon. This, at the moment, seems like suicide.

Me too!

I like the number of mathmos in this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Inglip

Original post by Inglip
Me too!

I like the number of mathmos in this thread.

Well then, we shall be competing. It will be a bloody battle.
Original post by Inactivity
Is work experience essential if I want to study Chemical Engineering? So far I've volunteered at Oxfam and worked at Argos, would I need experience more related to Chem Eng?

Work experience for Chem Eng is hard to come by. I reccommend external reading related to the area. Any extra reading you can do related to chemistry in industrial processes would be great. Just show a healthy interest in chemistry and engineering disciplines like maths and physics.

My AS results is as follow
Math A
Econ A
Phys E (dropping this)
I'm taking Further Math in A2 year and maybe one more AS subject.
Should I apply for Imperial Computer Science course? Is the E in Physics gonna be a big minus for the University?

Oh very precarious! Computing at Imperial is oversubscribed and their offers are ridiculous. Mine was A*AAA. The E will definitely disadvantage you unfortunately because Imperial respects Physics a lot. However, if you are planning to drop it, I recommend you take the full Further Maths A2. Imperial really does respect a Further Maths A Level. Your position is iffy tbh, because you're doing 3 A Levels out of which 1 is very weak and you're going to swap it for further maths, and there isn't a predicted grade in FM for Imperial to go on. I'd make Imperial your highest 'take a punt' university if I were you because in terms of grades, it's a bit iffy.

Have you had previous computing/programming work experience or any interests in certain computer science concepts? Also, what are your GCSEs like?
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
I only did 3 A-levels, dropped chemistry after AS.

I suggest you to take EPQ which would look better on your personal statement.

During my interview I spent 15 minutes talking about it and my interviewer was genuinely interested.

I will take it in consideration. Thank you :smile:
Original post by nikita_atikin

Oh very precarious! Computing at Imperial is oversubscribed and their offers are ridiculous. Mine was A*AAA. The E will definitely disadvantage you unfortunately because Imperial respects Physics a lot. However, if you are planning to drop it, I recommend you take the full Further Maths A2. Imperial really does respect a Further Maths A Level. Your position is iffy tbh, because you're doing 3 A Levels out of which 1 is very weak and you're going to swap it for further maths, and there isn't a predicted grade in FM for Imperial to go on. I'd make Imperial your highest 'take a punt' university if I were you because in terms of grades, it's a bit iffy.

Have you had previous computing/programming work experience or any interests in certain computer science concepts? Also, what are your GCSEs like?

Well. I am going to take the full Further Math A2 and convince my tutor for a good predicted grade.
I am currently learning Objective C and C++ via books and internet articles. I took IGCSE, which was
Physics A*
Math A
Business A
Econ A
ICT B
English C (got an 8.0 for IELTS though :confused:)
Hey,

GCSE Grades (12 GCSEs - 5 A*, 3 A, 4 B ): A*A*A*A*A*AAABBBB

Currently Studying:
Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Computing, Extended Project Qualification

Achieved:
Mathematics A-level: A*
Physics AS: A
Computing AS: A
Further Mathematics A-level: Doing in Year 13

I will be continuing all 4 subjects and will be applying for Aeronautical Engineering. Firstly, would I be a good candidate? I realise Aeronautical Engineering has a 2A*1A requirement suggesting that a lot of very intelligent people will be applying. Secondly, finding work experience is always tough for Aeronautical Engineering as I've read around, would not having any work experience(other than being given the experience to fly 2 lightweight planes at an Aerodrome) hold me down? What else can I do to add some credit to my Personal Statement?

Thanks!
Reply 67
Original post by ShahzaibMuneeb
Hey,

GCSE Grades (12 GCSEs - 5 A*, 3 A, 4 B ): A*A*A*A*A*AAABBBB

Currently Studying:
Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Computing, Extended Project Qualification

Achieved:
Mathematics A-level: A*
Physics AS: A
Computing AS: A
Further Mathematics A-level: Doing in Year 13

I will be continuing all 4 subjects and will be applying for Aeronautical Engineering. Firstly, would I be a good candidate? I realise Aeronautical Engineering has a 2A*1A requirement suggesting that a lot of very intelligent people will be applying. Secondly, finding work experience is always tough for Aeronautical Engineering as I've read around, would not having any work experience(other than being given the experience to fly 2 lightweight planes at an Aerodrome) hold me down? What else can I do to add some credit to my Personal Statement?

Thanks!

Well done on your A* at Maths! :smile: Those results look good too...

Alright. Work exp for engineering might be difficult to obtain, that's no lie (I don't have any); but if you can prove your interest in the field and how the other ECs you do help boost your ability to cope with an engineering course/project, you'll be fine - you'll need to make sure your PS covers that. I'm hoping that your EPQ is on something related to Aero Eng, because that -would- be a very good talking point to cover in your PS (and your interview later on, if all goes well!)

External reading is also always a boon. And yes, do mention the Aerodrome stint; not just in a "work experience" mindset but what you loved about the experience (and how it's spurring you to want to do Aero Eng even more at Imperial, etc.)

So a recap of what to do for your PS:
- Don't fret about the lack of work exp, it's hard to come by (although try if you can!) Look at what ECs you have, list them down in there, and say how they'll help you cope with the course. I'm a musician and performing artist and I've worked on loads of productions, as well as done homework help with junior schoolers - may not seem like EC activities "perfect" for engineering; but trust me, those things taught me more on how to delegate tasks in a team and have helped hone my interpersonal skills. I went from nooby stagehand to Audio Engineer in 5+ months at school, which I was pretty chuffed about because I started backstage tech from scratch - that kind of thing shows unis that you're a quick learner. But you'll have to "argue" it nicely in your PS.

- External reading around the subject is a good idea: you might find an area that you're quite intrigued about, and may want to bring it up in your PS as well. I did something slightly different: I talked about an experience I had with vaccinations and wanting to know more about medical technology after that experience. Look out for new key developments in the field you'll be studying. School doesn't teach me about stem cells made from bacterium and using Green Fluorescent Protein from jellyfish cells to diagnose cancer...it's stuff I found in the news. You might not have to know everything about how this new development works, but if you get asked about it in the interview ("so what new exciting things have you heard about?"), you'll be ready. And you'll even get to ask them how it works. :wink:

- That Aerodrome experience...don't veto a mention of it from your PS. I bet it'll also be a talking point at interview. You do want the admissions tutor to look at your PS and go "wow, what an engaging, talented person - I want to know more!"

Good luck with your app, and buzz me when you're in the final stages of your PS. If there's something I can help out with the best, that's probably it. :P
Original post by arianex
Well done on your A* at Maths! :smile: Those results look good too...

Alright. Work exp for engineering might be difficult to obtain, that's no lie (I don't have any); but if you can prove your interest in the field and how the other ECs you do help boost your ability to cope with an engineering course/project, you'll be fine - you'll need to make sure your PS covers that. I'm hoping that your EPQ is on something related to Aero Eng, because that -would- be a very good talking point to cover in your PS (and your interview later on, if all goes well!)

External reading is also always a boon. And yes, do mention the Aerodrome stint; not just in a "work experience" mindset but what you loved about the experience (and how it's spurring you to want to do Aero Eng even more at Imperial, etc.)

So a recap of what to do for your PS:
- Don't fret about the lack of work exp, it's hard to come by (although try if you can!) Look at what ECs you have, list them down in there, and say how they'll help you cope with the course. I'm a musician and performing artist and I've worked on loads of productions, as well as done homework help with junior schoolers - may not seem like EC activities "perfect" for engineering; but trust me, those things taught me more on how to delegate tasks in a team and have helped hone my interpersonal skills. I went from nooby stagehand to Audio Engineer in 5+ months at school, which I was pretty chuffed about because I started backstage tech from scratch - that kind of thing shows unis that you're a quick learner. But you'll have to "argue" it nicely in your PS.

- External reading around the subject is a good idea: you might find an area that you're quite intrigued about, and may want to bring it up in your PS as well. I did something slightly different: I talked about an experience I had with vaccinations and wanting to know more about medical technology after that experience. Look out for new key developments in the field you'll be studying. School doesn't teach me about stem cells made from bacterium and using Green Fluorescent Protein from jellyfish cells to diagnose cancer...it's stuff I found in the news. You might not have to know everything about how this new development works, but if you get asked about it in the interview ("so what new exciting things have you heard about?"), you'll be ready. And you'll even get to ask them how it works. :wink:

- That Aerodrome experience...don't veto a mention of it from your PS. I bet it'll also be a talking point at interview. You do want the admissions tutor to look at your PS and go "wow, what an engaging, talented person - I want to know more!"

Good luck with your app, and buzz me when you're in the final stages of your PS. If there's something I can help out with the best, that's probably it. :P

Thank you so so much, you do not realise how helpful this post is... copied+pasted right into a text file for me to refer to whenever I want =D One more thing, would working in a car garage still be a good experience to write down? It's more of a hands-on thing and although I'm taking Aeronautical Engineering I love the car aspect of Engineering.

Thanks again!
(edited 12 years ago)
Not sure if I'm going to apply because I think my grades at AS were mediocre and I underachieved I think. Just tell me whether or not I should bother or save a space.

GCSEs: A*AAAAABCE and a half GCSE at A
AS Subjects: Maths (B) Chemistry (C) Biology (B) Economics (B)
Course Biochemistry (AAB min)

If I get predictions of AAB will I still be considered or do they look at AS grades more heavily. Hope to have a good PS too so should I even bother? Oh and dropping economics.

Might take a gap year if I get good grades but don't get university I want.
I'm going to be applying for maths !! :biggrin:
GCSE's: 6A*s 5A's
AS: AAAA (Maths, further maths, biology and chemistry)
I am dropping biology this year

eep can't believe its time to apply to uni :eek:
Reply 71
Original post by like_a_star

....another mathmo! I think there's going to be plenty of competition for us all :tongue:

Right everyone, there are quite a few people here and I am beginning to lose track of everyone, so I'm going to start compiling an official list of applicants (and put it in the first post) :smile:

So if you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
2012 applicants already??? really??? People calm down I haven't even started uni yet and you make me feel old.

*chuckles sheepishly*

Uh... well you know we TSRians have a reputation for being keen... :colondollar:

In my defence, UCL already have a thread up and running. Oxbridge had threads since May. :tongue:
Well. I am going to take the full Further Math A2 and convince my tutor for a good predicted grade.
I am currently learning Objective C and C++ via books and internet articles. I took IGCSE, which was
Physics A*
Math A
Business A
Econ A
ICT B
English C (got an 8.0 for IELTS though :confused:)

Hmmm the programming sounds attractive. Makes me wonder how you went from an A* in GCSE to an E in A Level :tongue: Anyway, I'll be honest, they aren't the MOST attractive set of academia to have but I reckon you're in with a chance with your programming stuff. I'd make Imperial your highest university you apply to tbh, it's worth a shot. Good luck :smile: Just get an awesome PS and reference (more details on the first page of this thread).

Original post by like_a_star

Strong set of academia, make sure you do some external maths reading (often if you look on the departmental website, they give you some recommended reading books and stuff). Also make sure you have a strong PS and reference (details are in my post on page 1 of this thread).

Do all that, you're in with a healthy shot :wink:
Original post by Beth1234
*chuckles sheepishly*

Uh... well you know we TSRians have a reputation for being keen... :colondollar:

In my defence, UCL already have a thread up and running. Oxbridge had threads since May. :tongue:

Are you saying that Oxbridge folks had 2012 applicants thread since may?

/facepalm
Reply 75
I'm definitely gonna be applying. I was just researching actually and got all excited, pretty sure ICL will be my top choice.

I need to make sure to ace BMAT and interview technique! :colone:
Reply 76
Are you saying that Oxbridge folks had 2012 applicants thread since may?

/facepalm

That's right :yes:

...which, by the way, I am very guilty of lurking on... since May :colondollar:
Original post by Beth1234
....another mathmo! I think there's going to be plenty of competition for us all :tongue:

Right everyone, there are quite a few people here and I am beginning to lose track of everyone, so I'm going to start compiling an official list of applicants (and put it in the first post) :smile:

So if you want to be on "The List" quote this post with:

Username: [your username]
Subject: [the subject you're applying for]

(If you do change your mind and want to be taken off "The List", let me know!)

Woo mathmos!!! lol

Add me to the list:
Username: like_a_star
Subject: Mathematics

Original post by nikita_atikin

Strong set of academia, make sure you do some external maths reading (often if you look on the departmental website, they give you some recommended reading books and stuff). Also make sure you have a strong PS and reference (details are in my post on page 1 of this thread).

Do all that, you're in with a healthy shot :wink:

Thanks. Yeah I'm reading a few books this summer to put in my personal statement and I am hoping to get a good reference. Congrats on getting in!! :biggrin:
Oh, mathmos (I'm going to class myself as one of you), is it worth self-teaching extra modules? I mean, I'm sure if I ask my school about being entered for some extras it won't be too much of a problem.
Reply 79
Original post by Edwin Okli
Oh, mathmos (I'm going to class myself as one of you), is it worth self-teaching extra modules? I mean, I'm sure if I ask my school about being entered for some extras it won't be too much of a problem.

Well, I've been self-taught for 13 of my maths modules, and was taught online for FP3 and by the local university for FP2. I think it looks pretty good on the personal statement, and I personally prefer to self-teach, as it means you can take things at your own pace (I sat in a Core 3 lesson for a few weeks. It was unbearable. The schedule in my school was: 6 hours spent on learning the Chain Rule, and another 15 to mess around - ahem, practice questions - in class... :yawn:).

It depends what you're trying to get out of it - an extra qualification (Further Maths? Additional Further Maths?) or if you are trying to simply learn it for the sake of learning it. There is also, perhaps, that if you take more modules, you're more likely to get 90% on three of them and get an A*, as long as you don't find yourself with too much work, and end up missing some other grade instead.

Of course, there's never harm in learning! Personally, I'd say the pros outweigh the cons :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending