The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Illmatic-
Ah understood, thanks :cool:

EDIT: But would it not seem slightly lame saying 'X has brilliant mathematical ability demonstrated by getting 94 UMS in C1' and not saying anything about C2 or M1 :laugh:

Perhaps, if it was you writing it, but it isn't so I think it should be fine.
Original post by alex_hk90
Perhaps, if it was you writing it, but it isn't so I think it should be fine.

:laugh: cool!

Original post by Groat
Mathematical ability isn't always reflected in UMS - I'm probably going to get a strong reference from my Maths teacher, yet I didn't do as well in M1. It may be better in your case to ask your teacher to be enthusiastic about you without mentioning the UMS? I'm not sure, though.

I'm not sure how my reference will go, actually - as Cambridge have the SAQ I don't know what my reference will do about UMS referencing.

Fair play!
Original post by Groat
Mathematical ability isn't always reflected in UMS - I'm probably going to get a strong reference from my Maths teacher, yet I didn't do as well in M1. It may be better in your case to ask your teacher to be enthusiastic about you without mentioning the UMS? I'm not sure, though.

I'm not sure how my reference will go, actually - as Cambridge have the SAQ I don't know what my reference will do about UMS referencing.

I'm assuming LSE/UCL will ask about my UMS regardless of whether I cetificate my ASs or not...
Reply 1643
I'm assuming LSE/UCL will ask about my UMS regardless of whether I cetificate my ASs or not...

Yes, that would be the case.
Original post by Groat
Yes, that would be the case.

for LSE is this for all Econ related programmes i.e Government and Economics, Economics and Economic History especially as the latter has AAB entry requirement, or just straight Econ...im guessing just straight econ
Reply 1645
for LSE is this for all Econ related programmes i.e Government and Economics, Economics and Economic History especially as the latter has AAB entry requirement, or just straight Econ...im guessing just straight econ

I'm not totally sure on LSE at the minute, as I have friends who were asked for UMS last year, but when I emailed them they said they wouldn't be asking for them. I've sent another email - I'll update you all when they reply. :u:
Original post by Groat
I'm not totally sure on LSE at the minute, as I have friends who were asked for UMS last year, but when I emailed them they said they wouldn't be asking for them. I've sent another email - I'll update you all when they reply. :u:

Cheers!
Does anyone know how competitive Nottingham is for economics compared to UCL, warwick and etc?
Original post by Sharon Su
Does anyone know how competitive Nottingham is for economics compared to UCL, warwick and etc?

I'm not too sure, its definitely very competitive but relative to the likes of UCL and Warwick perhaps not so. I'm planning on applying for Nottingham, too :smile: It;s got a great international reputation with their China and Malaysia campuses!
Reply 1649

Not sure on exact statistics for Nottingham, you could contact them to find out.

UCL was 2800 for 180 places in 2011 cycle if that helps.
Reply 1650
I'm not too sure, its definitely very competitive but relative to the likes of UCL and Warwick perhaps not so. I'm planning on applying for Nottingham, too :smile: It;s got a great international reputation with their China and Malaysia campuses!

What do you think of the potential offer increase to A*AA?

It is likely a bit less competitive both in terms of application quality and numbers. Unfortunately I've only found Applicant:Offer ratios for Cambridge and LSE. Maybe someone has them for other unis?
Yeah its going quite well but surprisingly there's not many active members on his thread

come forward people :laugh:

:hi:

Me is to become an active member :colone:
Original post by YingYang
UCL, Bath, Notts, Manchester/Birmingham are ones I am interested in, still looking about though

Unsure of what to do, either I aim high - cambridge, or go lower - york.

I am tempted though to go for all very very high uni's and if I don't get in, take a gap year (improve my application) and then reapply but not as high.

This is exactly what i'm doing
Reply 1654
Hey guys. I'm very confused as to where to apply.

I got 2A*'s 7A's and a D at GCSE (A*'s in Core and Additional Science, D in Spanish)

and an AAAB (Maths, Economics, Chemistry, History) at AS.

I'm taking up Further Maths AS and EPQ (Econ related).

Aiming for A*A*A*Aab (A*'s in Maths, Econ EPQ. A in Chemistry, a in FM AS, and b in History AS)

I'm sure I wouldn't get into the Big 5. But in all honesty, where should I apply to.

I was considering Bath, but they are very adament on the fact you require an A* at Maths GCSE (which I didn't obtain).

Please Lads, In dire need of help :frown:
Original post by Tateco
Not sure on exact statistics for Nottingham, you could contact them to find out.

Ahh thanks.
Cambridge- 7 applicant per place
LSE- 18 per place
UCL- 16 per place

Cambridge, easy :wink:
I only have 3 universities I want to apply to...can't decide if I should use all 5...

In regards to UMS, wouldn't it be better if you were to give your average across all your subjects. That way they won't question why you've only given your c1 mark in your reference >_>
Original post by Tateco

Thanks! I guess I should email them soon. As I saw the new ranking table for economics this year, Nottingham has jumped to 6th ish, just below warwick I believe and the standard offer is also A*AA. So I just wonder whether it's sensible to put Nottingham as backup or insurance level.:confused:
Original post by Rafaz
Hey guys. I'm very confused as to where to apply.

I got 2A*'s 7A's and a D at GCSE (A*'s in Core and Additional Science, D in Spanish)

and an AAAB (Maths, Economics, Chemistry, History) at AS.

I'm taking up Further Maths AS and EPQ (Econ related).

Aiming for A*A*A*Aab (A*'s in Maths, Econ EPQ. A in Chemistry, a in FM AS, and b in History AS)

I'm sure I wouldn't get into the Big 5. But in all honesty, where should I apply to.

I was considering Bath, but they are very adament on the fact you require an A* at Maths GCSE (which I didn't obtain).

Please Lads, In dire need of help :frown:

I think St. Andrews, Bristol, Exeter, York, Durham would all be sensible choices and an insurance in case.

Thanks for the reply! What other unis are you going to apply for?

Latest