The Student Room Group

MSc Marketing - Which university is the best for it?

Hey!

I have a Bachelor degree in Business Management (BBM, Cum Laude) with a double major in Marketing and Corporate Communications. I want to now specialize further in Marketing with my Masters degree. I have the following offers and would like suggestions / advice and info. on what would be the best choice, based on
- Job prospects
- Business School ranking and reputation; not only in the UK, but even in the EU and outside Europe
- Overall student experience

1. University of Glasgow - MSc Strategic Marketing
2. University of St. Andrews - MLitt Marketing
3. University of Strathclyde - MSc International Marketing

I know that the University of Glasgow and the University of St. Andrews are very well ranked and well known as universities, but how good are the respective Business Schools and would it be prestigious to do a Marketing degree from these? On the other hand, I know that Strathclyde is known for its business degrees, but do people outside UK know the name of this university?

The location / night life / etc. of any place don't matter as much to me as the recognition and quality of the university and its education.

Has anyone studied Marketing at any of these universities before? Any comments?
Which one should I pick and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Strathclyde's Business School is about twice the size of St Andrews and Glasgow's put together, I'd say it's one of the university's main strengths- I know a Prof at St Andrews and a Lecturer at Glasgow, and they'd probably tell you that Strath has the edge. I'd guess most employers in Scotland think along the same lines, but whether it would be the case across the world, I personally doubt. St Andrews has a pretty small dept (around 20 staff) and I'd say its an acquired taste whether you'd like it there, but there's probably not much to pick between them and Glasgow to be quite honest, and there's evidence employers don't really know much about the M.Litt, since its only used in a few universities- you might have to explain its equal to a one year masters. If you were comfortable with people not necessarily having heard of Strathclyde, I'd say it has the best business school (very few grow to that size without being decent), and probably where you should go. Glasgow have targetted Asia recently, so they might be marginally better known there, while St Andrews has developed a bit of a North-American niche. I think all three are certainly amongst the better programmes from what I've seen in the UK- pick which one you think you'll prefer.
simrat7
Hey!

I have a Bachelor degree in Business Management (BBM, Cum Laude) with a double major in Marketing and Corporate Communications. I want to now specialize further in Marketing with my Masters degree. I have the following offers and would like suggestions / advice and info. on what would be the best choice, based on
- Job prospects
- Business School ranking and reputation; not only in the UK, but even in the EU and outside Europe

I know that the University of Glasgow and the University of St. Andrews are very well ranked and well known as universities, but how good are the respective Business Schools and would it be prestigious to do a Marketing degree from these? On the other hand, I know that Strathclyde is known for its business degrees, but do people outside UK know the name of this university?

The location / night life / etc. of any place don't matter as much to me as the recognition and quality of the university and its education.

Strathclyde most definitely. I believe it's among the best marketing courses in the UK (that's what I've found in my research since I'll study marketing as well). I'm under the impression that St. Andrews may have a great reputation, but Business really isn't its strong suit. And I just don't recall Glasgow really being quite up with Strathclyde.
Reply 3
dancchica530
Strathclyde most definitely. I believe it's among the best marketing courses in the UK (that's what I've found in my research since I'll study marketing as well). I'm under the impression that St. Andrews may have a great reputation, but Business really isn't its strong suit. And I just don't recall Glasgow really being quite up with Strathclyde.

Thanks for your suggestion! :smile: Dancchica530, where are you going to study marketing? Which university and what course?
Reply 4
0404343m
Strathclyde's Business School is about twice the size of St Andrews and Glasgow's put together, I'd say it's one of the university's main strengths- I know a Prof at St Andrews and a Lecturer at Glasgow, and they'd probably tell you that Strath has the edge. I'd guess most employers in Scotland think along the same lines, but whether it would be the case across the world, I personally doubt. St Andrews has a pretty small dept (around 20 staff) and I'd say its an acquired taste whether you'd like it there, but there's probably not much to pick between them and Glasgow to be quite honest, and there's evidence employers don't really know much about the M.Litt, since its only used in a few universities- you might have to explain its equal to a one year masters. If you were comfortable with people not necessarily having heard of Strathclyde, I'd say it has the best business school (very few grow to that size without being decent), and probably where you should go. Glasgow have targetted Asia recently, so they might be marginally better known there, while St Andrews has developed a bit of a North-American niche. I think all three are certainly amongst the better programmes from what I've seen in the UK- pick which one you think you'll prefer.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to give me such a detailed and informative response :smile: I, too, have found out that Strathclyde should have an edge over the other two universities for marketing. The only thing is that I'll most likely be moving back to Asia - Singapore / India, or head to other parts of Europe an year or so after completing my degree in Scotland. And as you pointed out, most people don't know the university's name outside of Scotland. My only fear is that employers in these other countries (in asia or even N. America) won't know the value of my degree and may presume that it's not very well recognized and rated. As such, I have been thinking more on the lines of Glasgow, although I am still pretty confused :s-smilie:
simrat7
Thanks for your suggestion! :smile: Dancchica530, where are you going to study marketing? Which university and what course?

I'm going to Birmingham for the MSc Marketing course.

Have you seen this site? www.applyingto.com
Perhaps some people there can give you an idea about how well-known the universities are at an International level.
Reply 6

Hey guys!

I'm also looking into an MSc in Marketing.. but I don't have a Business BA background... Is that a problem? I know some Universities state that it is a requirement (Bath, Imperial College, Warwick, Edinburgh) -- so I've been looking at those that don't seem to mention it. So far, I have:

University of Reading
University of Kent
Durham University
King's College
University of Exeter

Which would you say would probably have the best course? I am guessing Durham or Exeter -- although I hear good things about the Henley Business School at Reading... ?

If you guys know anything about any of these I'd really appreciate feedback! x
Reply 7
Original post by spacefox
Hey guys!

I'm also looking into an MSc in Marketing.. but I don't have a Business BA background... Is that a problem? I know some Universities state that it is a requirement (Bath, Imperial College, Warwick, Edinburgh) -- so I've been looking at those that don't seem to mention it. So far, I have:

University of Reading
University of Kent
Durham University
King's College
University of Exeter

Which would you say would probably have the best course? I am guessing Durham or Exeter -- although I hear good things about the Henley Business School at Reading... ?

If you guys know anything about any of these I'd really appreciate feedback! x

queen mary has also msc in marketing and i now some guys who have done that course. they told me that was really good. from the list that you have wrote i think that kings college and durham are the best and they have reputation and a really good name.

good luck ...:smile:
Reply 8
Hey zzippoo, thanks for the reply. I do know that QM has MSc in Marketing, but the thing is their business department isn't very renowned. I've looked at 3 different ranking tables for BUSINESS studies, and it comes in pretty low, like 40th or something. Reading / Exeter / Durham, on the other hand, have much better business departments. King's College may be the most renowned out of all, but it's mostly known for Law + History, things like that.. There's also Bath/Strathclyde/Warwick but I wouldn't get in, because I don't have a business degree background.

Though tbh, just the fact that King's is in London makes me more inclined to choose it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by simrat7

Original post by simrat7
Hey!

- Job prospects

Hey how about considering to apply at Imperial College Business School and ESCP Europe!! They both are highly ranked in Europe's Business School FT Ranking and the courses there are terrific!!
Reply 10
What do you think of Columbia University Business School - MSc in Marketing? If we are talking about an Ivy League university... Tuition $ 50,000. Check it out: http://www7.gsb.columbia.edu/ms/marketing. By some mentioned as currently the best Master in Marketing 'on earth' due to the combination of teaching faculty of Columbia Business School. But note, it has a 10.3% acceptance rate that is a different type of acceptance rate than UK universities. The self-selection of people avoiding to apply is extremely high and I heard that the competition exists of students from Yale, Harvard or Princeton with extreme curricular activities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Quadruble
What do you think of Columbia University Business School - MSc in Marketing? If we are talking about an Ivy League university... Tuition $ 50,000. Check it out: http://www7.gsb.columbia.edu/ms/marketing. By some mentioned as currently the best Master in Marketing 'on earth' due to the combination of teaching faculty of Columbia Business School. But note, it has a 10.3% acceptance rate that is a different type of acceptance rate than UK universities. The self-selection of people avoiding to apply is extremely high and I heard that the competition exists of students from Yale, Harvard or Princeton with extreme curricular activities.

:rolleyes:
I am going to study Msc of International Marketing at Newcastle University. I also have offer from University of Glasgow. Can you guys helps me to make the choice?
Hi I hope you guys can help me, I'm looking to master in marketing but I have no idea which school to pick Strathclyde or Glasgow? All information will be helpful .
Reply 14
Does anyone know which is the better for the MSc Marketing?
I got the offer from Durham and Glasgow.
It's really difficult to make decision.
Hope you guys can help me.
Reply 15
Glasgow looks like the better programme (more modules), Durham's looks like it has the better marketing department - Durham's got a dedicated marketing department with approximately 15 academic staff while at Glasgow marketing falls within it's management department. Though, I know one marketing professors at Glasgow, John Finch, and he's pretty good and a really nice guy.
Reply 16
Original post by c2uk
Glasgow looks like the better programme (more modules), Durham's looks like it has the better marketing department - Durham's got a dedicated marketing department with approximately 15 academic staff while at Glasgow marketing falls within it's management department. Though, I know one marketing professors at Glasgow, John Finch, and he's pretty good and a really nice guy.

ya, this is why I say that is hard to make decision.
Besides, Glasgow ask me to deposit before 2/12.
It's killing me. :frown:
Reply 17
what about Uni of York? Been looking into that one for Ms Global Marketing
Reply 18
Original post by nickar
what about Uni of York? Been looking into that one for Ms Global Marketing

I don't like "social and ethical marketing" being a core module while no module on customer relationship management or consumer behaviour are present and services marketing is an optional module - you'll find that nowadays most "products" have a service element. Another option apparently missing is B2B marketing - but what do you expect, York apparently only has 5 marketing academics.
Reply 19
If you want to do a postgrad degree in Marketing then I would strongly recommend to do an MSc in Digital Marketing. That's the area with the most demand, a huge skill gap, and most job opportunities these days. Regular MSc Marketing degrees don't really give you the practical skills you need in the workplace or in real life (I've worked in the industry...the lack of practical marketing skills is shocking!!). There are plenty of Digital Marketing Masters including at my Uni (RGU Aberdeen), which is launching an MSc in Digital Marketing in September this year. I don't want to put a link so as not to spam these forums but google it and you'll find it. Other Unis offer Digital Marketing Masters too but ours is the first practice-based one that will have you work on real campaigns, with industry, and so on.

In summary, I wouldn't recommend doing a normal MSc Marketing degree. The subject is out of date and many contents irrelevant to today's digital world. Just look at the job market for Marketing and Marketing Managers - most if not all require digital skills and as I've said in my intro - that's where the skills gap lies and that's where you'll get a good job with excellent - and fast - career progression.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending