The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

...also...
ECONOMICS
:nutcase:
Original post by Psychotic546
It is likely a bit less competitive both in terms of application quality and numbers. Unfortunately I've only found Applicant:Offer ratios for Cambridge and LSE. Maybe someone has them for other unis?

thanks for the reply! I've read your posts on the Cambridge thread as well. What's your backup uni as 'insurance' choice?
Reply 1662
I think St. Andrews, Bristol, Exeter, York, Durham would all be sensible choices and an insurance in case.

Thanks for the Advice, I was considering Durham and Bristol, but Bristol only has like 50 odd places, I doubt i'd recieve an offer.

St. Andrews is a little to far out for me to be honest. I know Durham is far, but it's as far as I would venture up north :wink:

Also, I heard that Exeter's Economics Course is far less Quantitative than other courses at Uni's ranked in the same "league", such as Southampton.
Original post by Sharon Su
thanks for the reply! I've read your posts on the Cambridge thread as well. What's your backup uni as 'insurance' choice?

No problem :smile: Still undecided on this but I think it's down to York/Exeter/ Edinburgh. In all honesty, I haven't looked at it too much, just been doing PS and other things. Still have to decide between UCL and Nottingham.

What are your choices?

Original post by Aluu93
Hello all,

Sorry but its another one of those 'can i apply with these grades'!

Maths ( did the full A level this year) - C1 80, C2 91, C3 79 C4 76, M1 54, S1, 66 - Overall grade B
Economics - 81/100, 99/100
History - 92/100, 96/100
French - 179/200

Before I got my results I was looking at Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Notts, Manchester. I have swapped to Oxford because of the fact that they do not ask for AS grades even if undeclared on UCAS form and am having a crack at UCL instead of LSE and still going ahead with Warwick, Notts Manchester as well as doing further maths AS along with my Maths retakes I will have to do - are my choices too much of a gamble?

Also, does Warwick ask for UMS/ unit grades if undeclared on UCAS form? As you can see, I have firmly pressed the panic button :s-smilie:

Thanks!

The maths is a bit of a concern but the other grades are really good, well done! Personally I think those choices are a good set for you, I'm not sure about Oxford and Economics, so perhaps someone else can answer that for you.
No Warwick don't ask for UMS. Don't worry you still have time!
Original post by Rafaz
Thanks for the Advice, I was considering Durham and Bristol, but Bristol only has like 50 odd places, I doubt i'd recieve an offer.

St. Andrews is a little to far out for me to be honest. I know Durham is far, but it's as far as I would venture up north :wink:

Also, I heard that Exeter's Economics Course is far less Quantitative than other courses at Uni's ranked in the same "league", such as Southampton.

Ahh so no Scottish uni's for you :tongue:
Southampton is a Bsc and Exeter offers a BA so that is likely true.
Reply 1665

I don't have one :colone:

This thread is getting very active all of a sudden, hi everyone :tongue:
Reply 1666
Original post by Aluu93

Also, does Warwick ask for UMS/ unit grades if undeclared on UCAS form?

How do you declare UMS scores on your UCAS form?
Original post by Aluu93
My bad, you can only declare your Unit grade not UMS. Its just that a lot of schools make pupils declare their unit grades on their UCAS forms.

You have to declare unit grades on UCAS I thought? It doesn't let you send it off otherwise does it?
Reply 1668
Ahh so no Scottish uni's for you :tongue:
Southampton is a Bsc and Exeter offers a BA so that is likely true.

So, Durham, Bristol, Soton/ Exeter, Anywhere else?

Also York is a no no for me. I've read the articles on their teaching and their dumbing down of their course, I'd rather not risk my future employment prospects.
Reply 1669
Original post by Aluu93
My bad, you can only declare your Unit grade not UMS. Its just that a lot of schools make pupils declare their unit grades on their UCAS forms.

Okay :smile:

In terms of advice, I'd say you will struggle with Warwick and UCL with the B in Maths...
Reply 1670
Original post by perrytheplatypus
I only have 3 universities I want to apply to...can't decide if I should use all 5...

In regards to UMS, wouldn't it be better if you were to give your average across all your subjects. That way they won't question why you've only given your c1 mark in your reference >_>

Where do you want to apply?
No problem :smile: Still undecided on this but I think it's down to York/Exeter/ Edinburgh. In all honesty, I haven't looked at it too much, just been doing PS and other things. Still have to decide between UCL and Nottingham.

What are your choices?

Well, I'm thinking about Cam, LSE, UCL, Warwick. but still the 5th is undecided. As Nottingham's standard offer has increased to A*AA, I'm not sure it's sensible to choose it as insurance.
Original post by Tateco
Where do you want to apply?

Cambridge, LSE and warick. Although I'm not sure about warick...or LSE for that matter :tongue:
Original post by Rafaz
So, Durham, Bristol, Soton/ Exeter, Anywhere else?

Also York is a no no for me. I've read the articles on their teaching and their dumbing down of their course, I'd rather not risk my future employment prospects.

Care to link me to those articles? I've not heard of anything like that. Can't remember if I suggested Nottingham? I think those 5 would be alright since Soton/Exeter seem to be quite low risk to me although you could exchange Bristol for another of lower calibre in case.

Original post by Tateco
Okay :smile:

In terms of advice, I'd say you will struggle with Warwick and UCL with the B in Maths...

I just remembered that UCL ask for an A* in maths as well. I agree Warwick would be difficult but I was thinking that a high risk choice would be alright as long as you have 3 that you have a good chance at and an insurance.
Original post by Tateco
I don't have one :colone:

This thread is getting very active all of a sudden, hi everyone :tongue:

haha, you quoted the wrong post! I've posted reply for you a bit earlier :biggrin:

Well, I'm thinking about Cam, LSE, UCL, Warwick. but still the 5th is undecided. As Nottingham's standard offer has increased to A*AA, I'm not sure it's sensible to choose it as insurance.

Ahh likely same top 4 as me then :tongue:
What were your AS UMS like? I don't think that would be a great insurance in all honesty! I think it's quite popular this year as well.
Just seen Edinburgh do a 4 year MA so that's a no no :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1676
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Cambridge, LSE and warick. Although I'm not sure about warick...or LSE for that matter :tongue:

Which college?

What's your average UMS? :tongue:
Ahh likely same top 4 as me then :tongue:
What were your AS UMS like? I don't think that would be a great insurance in all honesty! I think it's quite popular this year as well.
Just seen Edinburgh do a 4 year MA so that's a no no :rolleyes:

Math 580/600
Economics 180/200
Physics 292/300

what are yours?

yeah I don't think I'll apply for Nottingham now. maybe birmingham instead?
Original post by Tateco
Which college?

What's your average UMS? :tongue:

Haven't decided on the college yet - got a shortlist though ^_^

Looked at your profile...my UMS average across all my subjects is below yours...
You'll be tough competition >_<

...although they are going to predict me quite a few A* ^_^
Original post by Aluu93
Hello all,

Sorry but its another one of those 'can i apply with these grades'!

Maths ( did the full A level this year) - C1 80, C2 91, C3 79 C4 76, M1 54, S1, 66 - Overall grade B
Economics - 81/100, 99/100
History - 92/100, 96/100
French - 179/200

Before I got my results I was looking at Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Notts, Manchester. I have swapped to Oxford because of the fact that they do not ask for AS grades even if undeclared on UCAS form and am having a crack at UCL instead of LSE and still going ahead with Warwick, Notts Manchester as well as doing further maths AS along with my Maths retakes I will have to do - are my choices too much of a gamble?

Also, does Warwick ask for UMS/ unit grades if undeclared on UCAS form? As you can see, I have firmly pressed the panic button :s-smilie:

Thanks!

Also, got 10/10 A*s at GCSEs if anyone even cares about those anymore!

Well for Oxford you still need an A in Mathematics, most candidates will be predicted A*. But if you manage to get an A* by resitting some modules you can even apply to Cambridge. What many people forget is that although Cambridge asks for UMS grades there are still other factors that decide whether you get an offer or not. You shouldn't just apply to Oxford because of your UMS marks. It is a completely different course and the acceptance rate is even lower :wink: So if you manage to get an A*, you should still apply to Cam if you prefer the course!

Latest

Trending

Trending