The Student Room Group

Leeds Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Iepnauy
I remember reading the BBC saying Leeds med students get free iPhones in their third year? I am SO applying to Leeds! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Thought it was fourth year.

Spoiler

Reply 41
Original post by Iepnauy
I remember reading the BBC saying Leeds med students get free iPhones in their third year? I am SO applying to Leeds! :biggrin:

Spoiler

We get iphones in our fourth year not third year, and they told us not to tell anyone..then the next day I see it on BBC news!:rolleyes:
Reply 42
Looks like I'll be applying here! Leeds don't use ukcat much, do they? I just need a cracking PS, which is easier said than done.
Original post by joemullally
Peninsula Barts and Glasgow.
You?

I was going to apply to Oxford, Imperial, Leeds and Bristol but now I'm not so sure...
I might still give Oxford a go just because I love it so much. Leeds is definitely my second option. And then I'm deciding between Newcastle, Glasgow, Peninsula and Cardiff.
Depends on my UKCAT really. Which I'm not convinced I'm going to do amazingly in as quantative reasoning is the bane of my life.
I know it's a bit early to start a thread but I know i'm definitely applying there this year.
Went to the 2010 open day and loved it.
So who else is thinking of applying there this year?

also a bit of an FAQ about their applications system.

Leeds applications scoring system

Good luck guys.

May sound dumb here... But what are we meant to write to satisfy the section "social awareness"?
Reply 45
Original post by mementomori
I was going to apply to Oxford, Imperial, Leeds and Bristol but now I'm not so sure...
I might still give Oxford a go just because I love it so much. Leeds is definitely my second option. And then I'm deciding between Newcastle, Glasgow, Peninsula and Cardiff.
Depends on my UKCAT really. Which I'm not convinced I'm going to do amazingly in as quantative reasoning is the bane of my life.

Everyone always does crap at QR in practice and it usually turns out to be one of the best sections.

Worry less about it and my advice would be concentrate on VR, Everyone seems to be having that as their worst section this year.

Original post by NinjaRikki
May sound dumb here... But what are we meant to write to satisfy the section "social awareness"?

It's about (as far as I understand it ((got 6/6 for it last year))) the voluntary work you have and the contribution to the community. Therefore realizing the scope of needs required by different members of the community and doing what you can to help.
E.g. a geriatric patient will have different needs to a patient who is e.g. an alchoholic but they will also have similar needs.

Basically it depends what you learnt from different charity work or voluntary work etc etc.
Hi :smile:

I live just outside of London but I have some family in Leeds including an uncle who works there as part of the engineering faculty and kindly showed me around. It looks really good! The campus is absolutely massive but there are plenty of great facilities. The city looks really fun and student friendly and I think I'd really enjoy studying there.

Does anyone know whether Leeds look at AS results? I did pretty badly in mine. Got AABC (Eng lit, bio, chem, phys). I did get 9 A* and 1 A (drama) at GCSE though so hopefully that'll be strong enough. And ofc I have a strong PS, work exp, extra curriculars etc...

Yeah, I got a B in Chem too, emailed them to ask, got a reply saying that they don't care about AS grades at all.

And QR is much easier in the exam, focus on VR, everyone including me fell down on that this year.
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah, I got a B in Chem too, emailed them to ask, got a reply saying that they don't care about AS grades at all.

And QR is much easier in the exam, focus on VR, everyone including me fell down on that this year.

Ah ok brilliant, thanks. Yeah I thought I had VR down according to the 600Q book but didn't get as good as I hoped in the practice tests from the website. Same with AR. I got 650 overall in the last one which isn't really good enough but fingers crossed tomorrow will go better :smile:
Ah ok brilliant, thanks. Yeah I thought I had VR down according to the 600Q book but didn't get as good as I hoped in the practice tests from the website. Same with AR. I got 650 overall in the last one which isn't really good enough but fingers crossed tomorrow will go better :smile:

Yeah, good luck. AR is easier in the real thing.
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah, good luck. AR is easier in the real thing.

Thanks bro :wink:
Reply 50
Thanks bro :wink:

He's right you know,
I sucked at it in practice and got 740.
Everyone always does crap at QR in practice and it usually turns out to be one of the best sections.

Worry less about it and my advice would be concentrate on VR, Everyone seems to be having that as their worst section this year.

It's about (as far as I understand it ((got 6/6 for it last year))) the voluntary work you have and the contribution to the community. Therefore realizing the scope of needs required by different members of the community and doing what you can to help.
E.g. a geriatric patient will have different needs to a patient who is e.g. an alchoholic but they will also have similar needs.

Basically it depends what you learnt from different charity work or voluntary work etc etc.

Joe just a quick question... What are your GCSE results and also what were your AS grades and A2 predictions when you applied last year?

Cheers dude! :biggrin:
He's right you know,
I sucked at it in practice and got 740.

I got 700... Which is better than I was expecting so I'm happy.
AR tripped me up which was annoying but my overall average was 703... Leeds' cutoff shouldn't be higher than this should it?
Reply 53
Original post by NinjaRikki
Joe just a quick question... What are your GCSE results and also what were your AS grades and A2 predictions when you applied last year?

Cheers dude! :biggrin:

2A*1A 6B#s and a C for GCSE
AAAB at As
Dont know my A2 predictions.

It's all on my profile.

I got 700... Which is better than I was expecting so I'm happy.
AR tripped me up which was annoying but my overall average was 703... Leeds' cutoff shouldn't be higher than this should it?

Leeds just gives a bonus point for a 700+ UKCAT. This information is in the first post.

So it depends on your other info and ps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Basically, does anyone know if the entry requirements have changed since last year? (I mean for Scottish Students). I can only find 2011 entry requirements.

It says AAAAB at higher and then BB at advanced higher including chemistry... It's pretty low compared to other medical schools... I only got ABB (chem, physics, maths) in my advanced highers this year so it's the basically the only one in England I can apply to... I have AAAAAB for my highers... Is it worth me applying?
Reply 55
Been thinking about applying for Leeds. I really like the fact that they aren't too fussed about the UKCAT other than a bonus point for 700+ score (considering that I did pretty badly) and that they only look at GCSEs and predicted grades, not your AS Levels. Best of luck to everyone else whose going to be applying.
Reply 56
Did anyone go to the open day? I missed it and would like to know people's opinions of Leeds and the course. Much appreciated :h:
Reply 57
Original post by sablarrr
Did anyone go to the open day? I missed it and would like to know people's opinions of Leeds and the course. Much appreciated :h:

I went to the '09 one.

Tbf I loved it.
One of the friendliest feeling cities i've ever felt.
The course sounds awesome too with some features being early patient contact and wet anatomy.
It's an integrated course.

The city itself just felt right, I could see myself living there, It has almost everything, including a free inner city bus.
The accom seems nice but that's inconsequential because it's a first year only thing.

But yeah that was the 2009 open day and it was jam packed with good applicants, I still speak to some of the people I met there (they all got in lol).

they're just some of the thoughts I had.
Reply 58
I went to the '09 one.

Tbf I loved it.
One of the friendliest feeling cities i've ever felt.
The course sounds awesome too with some features being early patient contact and wet anatomy.
It's an integrated course.

The city itself just felt right, I could see myself living there, It has almost everything, including a free inner city bus.
The accom seems nice but that's inconsequential because it's a first year only thing.

But yeah that was the 2009 open day and it was jam packed with good applicants, I still speak to some of the people I met there (they all got in lol).

they're just some of the thoughts I had.

Thanks man. I've visited Leeds a couple of times and the town centre is awesome! I'm sure you'll get in this year :biggrin: Even if it is notoriously hard getting an offer.

Also, free bus :gah:
Reply 59
Original post by sablarrr
Thanks man. I've visited Leeds a couple of times and the town centre is awesome! I'm sure you'll get in this year :biggrin: Even if it is notoriously hard getting an offer.

Also, free bus :gah:

Oh so is it quite competitive then? (I know medicine itself is competitive but in comparison).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending