The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sharon Su
Math 580/600
Economics 180/200
Physics 292/300

what are yours?

yeah I don't think I'll apply for Nottingham now. maybe birmingham instead?

You did 3 AS levels? So next year all you have to do is Economics and Physics?! Or are you taking up further maths.

Maths: 273/300
Chem: 271/300
Economics: 182/200
History: 185/200 (getting one paper remarked though)

Nice UMS though :smile:

Hmm we need to have a look around, we're looking at the same sort of place anyway!
Original post by Rafaz
So, Durham, Bristol, Soton/ Exeter, Anywhere else?

Also York is a no no for me. I've read the articles on their teaching and their dumbing down of their course, I'd rather not risk my future employment prospects.

What do you mean York is dumming down ?
I heard they upping their offer to AAA from AAB.
And do you mean they are deliberately lowering the standard of their teaching ? or just the students there cause a less academic environment ?
And where are these articles you have been reading ?
York is going to be my back up.

Edit: Looking at some of the UMS averages on here worries me. Especially Sharon su.
What do you all think, are the people that post on this forum above the average A level students in terms of their grades or do you think they would reflect the average. If the latter, then competition is going to be tough.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1682
Hello all

Looking to apply for Economics in this cycle too. My GCSEs were OK (not great compared to most on here, but I recall the third highest in my school) - I got 3 A*s, 7 As and 1C. I got AABC in Economics (98/100 in the unit 2 module), Maths, History (Only 1 mark off an A, I'm going to get a remark so it might become AAAC subsequently) and Chemistry repectively (which I'm dropping).

I'm looking to apply to the likes of Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and Southampton - is this reasonable, or should I apply to one 'dream' university especially if my history grade gets remarked up? Hopefully I'll be predicted A*AA for next year (with A* in Economics) and I'm taking AS further maths to make up for my chemistry grade and just to do more maths really too.

Also, I've heard Nottingham's standard offer may be increasing this year to A*AA, is that true? It still says AAA/AABB as their standard offer on their website?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Psychotic546
You did 3 AS levels? So next year all you have to do is Economics and Physics?! Or are you taking up further maths.

Maths: 273/300
Chem: 271/300
Economics: 182/200
History: 185/200 (getting one paper remarked though)

Nice UMS though :smile:

Hmm we need to have a look around, we're looking at the same sort of place anyway!

Thanks! you've done well too! yup, I'm doing FM next year cuz I did full Alevel maths this year so there are only 3 subjects :tongue:

I think it's good to get to know someone at the same situation as you ,isn't it?
Original post by Tateco
What do you think of the potential offer increase to A*AA?

I want them to make their minds up tbh...preferably before I attend the open day on the 9th so I can save some monies :laugh: Nah I don't really mind, as I think im pretty capable of getting an A* in maths by the end of the year if I put the required effort in (i've finished the qualification by january and if I get an A, I'll just retake the appropriate units- C3 and C4-in June)

Obviously life would be a lot easier if it was just AAA but my personal goal is to get an A* in maths, so im gonna try for that regardless of the entry requirement
Thanks! you've done well too! yup, I'm doing FM next year cuz I did full Alevel maths this year so there are only 3 subjects :tongue:

I think it's good to get to know someone at the same situation as you ,isn't it?

I was actually meant to do the full A level maths this year (I only have C4 left) and I'm doing full A level FM next year so almost same position as you there too!

Definitely! Which college are you applying to at Cambridge?
whats with the sudden increase of activity, seems like my comment was actually helpful

:holmes:
Reply 1687
Original post by perrytheplatypus
Haven't decided on the college yet - got a shortlist though ^_^

Looked at your profile...my UMS average across all my subjects is below yours...
You'll be tough competition >_<

...although they are going to predict me quite a few A* ^_^

What's your shortlist? :tongue:
Reply 1688
Original post by -Illmatic-
I want them to make their minds up tbh...preferably before I attend the open day on the 9th so I can save some monies :laugh: Nah I don't really mind, as I think im pretty capable of getting an A* in maths by the end of the year if I put the required effort in (i've finished the qualification by january and if I get an A, I'll just retake the appropriate units- C3 and C4-in June)

Obviously life would be a lot easier if it was just AAA but my personal goal is to get an A* in maths, so im gonna try for that regardless of the entry requirement

Makes sense...

I can't believe how many potential Cambridge applicants there are here :eek:

What colleges is everyone thinking?
Reply 1689
Haven't decided on the college yet - got a shortlist though ^_^

Looked at your profile...my UMS average across all my subjects is below yours...
You'll be tough competition >_<

...although they are going to predict me quite a few A* ^_^

How were your UMS like? :ninja:
:hi:

Me is to become an active member :colone:

:hi: :pierre:
Thanks for the reply! What other unis are you going to apply for?

I'm going for:

UCL- Economics
Bristol- Economics with German
Nottingham- Economics with a year in Germany
LSE- Economics and Economic History
Southampton- Economics

Yes I love Germany :fuhrer: (the only German-related smilie I could find :colondollar: )
Original post by Psychotic546
I was actually meant to do the full A level maths this year (I only have C4 left) and I'm doing full A level FM next year so almost same position as you there too!

Definitely! Which college are you applying to at Cambridge?

haha, yeah, except you are doing 5 alevels and different subjects we are taking, almost same!!:tongue:

well, the same as you, christ's is on my final list. but unsure about the final one.
I'm going for:

UCL- Economics
Bristol- Economics with German
Nottingham- Economics with a year in Germany
LSE- Economics and Economic History
Southampton- Economics

Yes I love Germany :fuhrer: (the only German-related smilie I could find :colondollar: )

Nice choices! then good luck with application!
Reply 1694
Original post by zxh800

This :colone:
Nice choices! then good luck with application!

Thanks, how about you? and you too!
Original post by Tateco
What's your shortlist? :tongue:

ermm...it's more of a longlist...
...a too-long-to-list...>_>
Original post by zxh800

Look at Tatecos, and take it down a notch :ninja:
:hi: :pierre:

:tee:
If Notts' standard offer does get changed to A*AA what will be the requirement for the people doing 4 A-Levels AAAB/A*AAB ?
Reply 1698
ermm...it's more of a longlist...
...a too-long-to-list...&gt;_&gt;

Look at Tatecos, and take it down a notch :ninja:

:tee:

How big is a notch?
Reply 1699
If Notts' standard offer does get changed to A*AA what will be the requirement for the people doing 4 A-Levels AAAB/A*AAB ?

Good point... AAAA?

Latest

Trending

Trending