The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
How big is a notch?

A small notch ^_^

That's all I'm saying about my UMS until I get an offer from uni. UMS are like an Unique Identification Number - I am NOT risking any university admission tutor snooping around here.
Original post by Tateco
Good point... AAAA?

seeing as those will be probably my predicted grades, i like that!
Reply 1702
Original post by perrytheplatypus
A small notch ^_^

That's all I'm saying about my UMS until I get an offer from uni. UMS are like an Unique Identification Number - I am NOT risking any university admission tutor snooping around here.

I hadn't actually thought about that. Do you think it's a serious issue? :s-smilie:
Original post by Sharon Su
haha, yeah, except you are doing 5 alevels and different subjects we are taking, almost same!!:tongue:

well, the same as you, christ's is on my final list. but unsure about the final one.

Actually I'm dropping chemistry so I'm doing 4 :tongue:

Christ's, I'm tempted to suggest somewhere else to avoid competition :biggrin: but I won't pretend it's not a really nice place. What other's are you considering?
Original post by Groat
I hadn't actually thought about that. Do you think it's a serious issue? :s-smilie:

They'd have to look at yours, then compare it to their long, long list of applicants. Then find you perhaps and then what? Unless you say here, I hate Bath and don't want to go I doubt they'd mind :tongue:
Reply 1705
Original post by Psychotic546
Actually I'm dropping chemistry so I'm doing 4 :tongue:

Christ's, I'm tempted to suggest somewhere else to avoid competition :biggrin: but I won't pretend it's not a really nice place. What other's are you considering?

If you like Christ's go for it! Christ's was joint second with Pembroke in my opinion.

Original post by Psychotic546
They'd have to look at yours, then compare it to their long, long list of applicants. Then find you perhaps and then what? Unless you say here, I hate Bath and don't want to go I doubt they'd mind :tongue:

True, very true. :u:
Original post by Groat

Nah, don't worry about it - I'm just overly cautious besides, your UMS are excellent. You are like a bear worrying about a paper cut :tongue:
Nah, don't worry about it - I'm just overly cautious besides, your UMS are excellent. You are like a bear worrying about a paper cut :tongue:

They hurt no matter how big you are :colondollar:
Reply 1708
A small notch ^_^

PM Me them then :smile: I'm not an admissions tutor in disguise... honest :ninja:
Reply 1709
Original post by HSethi
Hello all

Looking to apply for Economics in this cycle too. My GCSEs were OK (not great compared to most on here, but I recall the third highest in my school) - I got 3 A*s, 7 As and 1C. I got AABC in Economics (98/100 in the unit 2 module), Maths, History (Only 1 mark off an A, I'm going to get a remark so it might become AAAC subsequently) and Chemistry repectively (which I'm dropping).

I'm looking to apply to the likes of Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and Southampton - is this reasonable, or should I apply to one 'dream' university especially if my history grade gets remarked up? Hopefully I'll be predicted A*AA for next year (with A* in Economics) and I'm taking AS further maths to make up for my chemistry grade and just to do more maths really too.

Also, I've heard Nottingham's standard offer may be increasing this year to A*AA, is that true? It still says AAA/AABB as their standard offer on their website?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?
Original post by zxh800
PM Me them then :smile: I'm not an admissions tutor in disguise... honest :ninja:

I'm not going to change my mind. I am not saying :unimpressed:

ever.

Well, until I get an offer anyways >_>
Reply 1711
Original post by HSethi
Anyone?

Your choices look reasonable, Bath and Warwick are already quite 'dream universities' considering the C, but if you're willing to take the risk then add one more.

It says on their website they are considering putting the requirements up to A*AA but they haven't decided as of yet
Reply 1712
Do you think I should make a "am I good enough for these universities thread?", otherwise this thread might turn away from discussion between applicants into a help centre thread?
Original post by HSethi
Anyone?

I'd say apply for at least one of your 'dream' universities. Your grades still very good, regardless of what other on this forum may have ^_^
Hey,

So I got AAAA in my results, but low UMS (see sig). This has put me off Cambridge and LSE as well as seeing everyone's brilliant results on here, I'm so jealous. I'll apply anyway on a hope that I might do amazing in the interview and TSA.

Anyway thinking of applying to Cambridge (King's), Warwick, Durham, Notts and Bath. Do you think I need a better backup in there somewhere? And if so can anyone recommend one to me?

Reply 1715
Original post by DylanLJG
Hey,

So I got AAAA in my results, but low UMS (see sig). This has put me off Cambridge and LSE as well as seeing everyone's brilliant results on here, I'm so jealous. I'll apply anyway on a hope that I might do amazing in the interview and TSA.

Anyway thinking of applying to Cambridge (King's), Warwick, Durham, Notts and Bath. Do you think I need a better backup in there somewhere? And if so can anyone recommend one to me?

You have good grades, and GCSEs (if I remember correctly?) so because Cambridge is the only one that asks for UMS I don't see why you wouldn't have a good chance at the other universities (what are your predictions?)

P.S. Don't be put off by people in this thread, you have to remember that this is a very select sample and definitely not representative of the average applicant
Reply 1716
I'd say apply for at least one of your 'dream' universities. Your grades still very good, regardless of what other on this forum may have ^_^

Thanks for the reply - and Tateco too.

This forum can sometimes be quite daunting, considering I don't have the top notch grades that other have at AS and GCSE haha. I'm confident I can get the A2 results that will meet offers that I'll hopefully get though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tateco
You have good grades, and GCSEs (if I remember correctly?) so because Cambridge is the only one that asks for UMS I don't see why you wouldn't have a good chance at the other universities (what are your predictions?)

P.S. Don't be put off by people in this thread, you have to remember that this is a very select sample and definitely not representative of the average applicant

Probably A*A*A*aa if I can convince my teachers my low scores were flukes. Picking up AS Further Maths as well. I'm remarking 3 of my exams and will probably resit them.
Reply 1718
Original post by HSethi
Thanks for the reply - and Tateco too.

This forum can sometimes be quite daunting, considering I don't have the top notch grades that other have at AS and GCSE haha. I'm confident I can get the A2 results that will meet offers that I'll hopefully get though.

I like to think of it as what's the point of getting more than 2 offers that you're happy with? Go for the dream or you'll be thinking what-if when you get all 5 offers! You need at least 1 rejection to know your limit :smile:
Reply 1719
Original post by DylanLJG
Probably A*A*A*aa if I can convince my teachers my low scores were flukes. Picking up AS Further Maths as well. I'm remarking 3 of my exams and will probably resit them.

Good start, careful with resits, Bath don't accept them

Latest

Trending

Trending