The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medicine Man
Tempting, but I feel like even reading that will be far too much for my poor brain... :p:

:ditto:

I've read quite a few books this summer - all of which were fiction and in no way related to medicine!

I have actually given next year no thought at all - I just don't want to feel like a total nincompoop when we start in the next few weeks considering I'll probably be the youngest in my year (and one of only 2 second years doing this iBSc).

Are you living with people you've met before next year? Are they on your course?

And spending it not texting me :hmpf:

:p:

I've been stalking doctors at the local A&E :awesome:
Original post by Medicine Man

I've read quite a few books this summer - all of which were fiction and in no way related to medicine!

I remember you saying something about Medical Sciences at some point a while back. (the book)

What do you think of it in comparison to Tortora for physiology, as i'm considering buying it.
Original post by carcinoma
I remember you saying something about Medical Sciences at some point a while back. (the book)

What do you think of it in comparison to Tortora for physiology, as i'm considering buying it.

got to be boron or at the very least berne and levy +/- reviews
Not sure about the realism of Holby City when their F1s have so little to do that they can allocate two of them to clerk a patient.
Reply 5224
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Not sure about the realism of Holby City when their F1s have so little to do that they can allocate two of them to clerk a patient.

Well... in some cases that is realistic!
Original post by John Locke

I tried Boron and I must admit that I was a bit :eek:. I think that it is possible to have too much detail when trying to learn some of this pre-clinical stuff.
Original post by crazylemon

First Class :yep: although it horrifies the rest of the carriage when I appear dressed in a hoody and unwashed jeans.
(nb. This is only when I am not paying)

Most of the time because im special its cheaper for me to go first class!
I also go on the train looking like a tramp - well for first class. And they have stopped giving me free sandwiches - how bloody rude!
I can watch films on my laptop in first class.
My brain has turned to pudding. :/

What kind of pudding?
Chocolate or ice cream??
Original post by John Locke

Berne and Levy doesn't make me fell all warm inside. I don't really know why i will take another look at this once i get back to uni though.

Iv never heard of Boron, link me.

EDIT: I lie yes i have, but i was too scared to use it. I may try it now.

Thanks, ill check them all out in the library first see which one works best for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
I tried Boron and I must admit that I was a bit :eek:. I think that it is possible to have too much detail when trying to learn some of this pre-clinical stuff.

boron oscillates, in some places there is a reasonable amount of detail but in others its insufficient e.g. acid base (no stewart approach), cardiac action potentials/rhythm disorders, gastric acid secretion etc. obviously its not necessary to perfectly recall it all but i don't think that level of detail is inappropriate. It's still only half way to understanding the current basic science research targeting treatments for disease, particularly the pharmacology. admittedly i am a fan of detail but i still think its important for everyone to strive for mechanistic understandings rather than rely on rote recall which is absolutely awful.

edit:although to be fair in general i would not reccomend a general physiology text for CV phys, levicks book is outstanding, well detailed and most importantly, well explained!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carcinoma
Berne and Levy doesn't make me fell all warm inside. I don't really know why i will take another look at this once i get back to uni though.

Iv never heard of Boron, link me.

EDIT: I lie yes i have, but i was too scared to use it. I may try it now.

Thanks, ill check them all out in the library first see which one works best for me.

b&l is quite nice because its smaller but about the same detail as boron just slightly less broad (and good at bits boron isnt + vice versa). both are deffo worth a library look even if just for a casual reference,
Original post by fairy spangles
What kind of pudding?
Chocolate or ice cream??

The kind of pudding that doesn't know anything about physiology.

In that instance definately cheesecake.
(physiology = :confused:)
I like Berne and Levy. I think my most commonly used text for physiology has been Ganong's.
Reply 5234
The whole point of it all is to prolong the inevitable.

Really? my aim in medicine is to reduce suffering; to me it seems there comes a point when life is no longer worth prolonging... maybe I should just become a heroin dealer, I'd certainly make myself and everyone's experience of life happier and richer
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5235

Black pudding?

:colondollar:
Oh there is a point for some people where it might be better to say enough. The inevitable doesn't have to be death though. It could be reduced mobility, intense pain etc. You know being a heroin dealer doesn't make most peoples lived better.

Medicine does reduce suffering, look in primary care for any number of obvious examples of long term treatment that make peoples lives better and longer.

We may not stop people living in unhealthy ways but it isn't our place to to stop them. If they want to live a lifestyle that means they wont be collecting a pension that is up to them.

That's an interesting one :holmes: In 2011 I think it absolutely is. Millions spent on educating/frightening/*bullying people into eating, drinking & smoking less is paltry compared to billions lost in treating them (the tax billions from those industries is a counterpoint, so let's talk social costs as well). Granted, there's only so much doctors can do (which I think is what you were getting at anyway), but even so, we don't push prevention nearly enough!

*Essence of a legendary prof's point during a tutorial (phrased rather more eloquently): baaasically, we're all getting fat; the government should forget autonomy - paying for people to ruin themselves, and therefore the economy, is now unsustainable. Not saying I agree - just putting it out there for someone to bite some restrained discussion...
Ooh, a proper debate in here at long last. :awesome: This means that the start of term must be close.

My view is thus: autonomy is great but the choices people make are influenced by all kinds of outside factors. McDonalds and Marlborough have seeped into our consciousness through decades of advertising and product placement. If they can aim to influence people like this, then campaigns to reverse the damage they've done to our society should be as aggressive and as wide ranging.
Quick question - for first year clinics, is a surgical book something I should look into getting? I already have K&C, OHCM, Clinical Examination (Macleods), Medicine at a Glance and Data Interpretation for medical students as recommended by some friends, and not sure if I'll need something else to cover surgery.
Surgical Talk told me pretty much everything I ever needed to know.

Latest

Trending

Trending