The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by micky022
I just got a nasty learning curve in buying things from shops.

Nasty how? Surely an Oxonian can work out how to buy things.

Oh, did you have your Sandhurst interview today? Hope it went well.
Had a lovely letter from my college mum today :biggrin:
I was talking to someone today who went to Oxford from 1965 and she was telling me that she had a letter from her college mum before she started, so the system has been in place a long time!
Original post by deFossard
Nasty how? Surely an Oxonian can work out how to buy things.

Oh, did you have your Sandhurst interview today? Hope it went well.

I was buying some £20 shoes in Burton and the lass asked me if I wanted to get a loyalty card. I thought it would be like points, turns out it's a pissing credit card. Got home, bounced off the walls for a bit and then sat down and worked out a plan. When the card arrives I pay off my interest-free £20 debt and then cancel the **** out of the thing. Thank you, EU law cool-off period for financial services :tongue:ray:

I also got my student bank account with Lloyds TSB sorted. It's only a £500 overdraft for the first six months, but if you need a £1500 overdraft, you're doing something wrong.

Ah, it was alright. Presentation, then an interview with the ACA. Turns out he did his PGCE at Trinity, and said Trinity was mediocre :tongue: I need to do some team sports to round out my application, and sort my upper body strength out, but other than that I'm fine. I'm looking at the RAC, Infantry and Intelligence Corps. Thanks for asking :smile:
I'm still waiting for the pack, but considering the fact that it took a month for my offer to be delivered from Oxford to Warsaw, Ill most probably receive it shortly before the depature :smile:
Original post by micky022
I was buying some £20 shoes in Burton and the lass asked me if I wanted to get a loyalty card. I thought it would be like points, turns out it's a pissing credit card. Got home, bounced off the walls for a bit and then sat down and worked out a plan. When the card arrives I pay off my interest-free £20 debt and then cancel the **** out of the thing. Thank you, EU law cool-off period for financial services :tongue:ray:

I also got my student bank account with Lloyds TSB sorted. It's only a £500 overdraft for the first six months, but if you need a £1500 overdraft, you're doing something wrong.

Ah, it was alright. Presentation, then an interview with the ACA. Turns out he did his PGCE at Trinity, and said Trinity was mediocre :tongue: I need to do some team sports to round out my application, and sort my upper body strength out, but other than that I'm fine. I'm looking at the RAC, Infantry and Intelligence Corps. Thanks for asking :smile:

Ha! Yeah good idea, you don't want a credit card lurking in your mind at the moment.

That said... I got my student account with HSBC yesterday, and I've signed up for a bloody credit card too! I'm using it ONLY in emergencies (promise) and as a replacement for my debit card if I'm buying something from a website which doesn't seem fully trustworthy. And I'll pay it back instantly. Hopefully. £750 overdraft on my account, pretty happy with that.

Sounds like you had a good interview. Certainly enough team sports around at Oxford. I suppose doing them proves you're not a misanthrope and can lead a group under pressure, right?
Reply 3066
I've so nearly fallen into the Burton 'loyalty card' thing before, but I took one look at the huge ream of forms that she pulled out from under the desk and just ran for the hills! I read about as far as the words '29.9% APR' before it clicked. :biggrin:
Does anyone know the best lounges / nightclubs (for Ox students) in Ox?
Original post by Mel_Denning
Does anyone know the best lounges / nightclubs (for Ox students) in Ox?

There are loads, depends what you're looking for! Camera is a good nightclub and pretty central, as a cocktail bar House is good, central - expensive but great in happy hour and they do good student discounts. Make sure you pick up an Oxone card in Freshers' week, they'll probably be in your JCR. Not many people know about them and they entitle you to great discounts in a lot of places. Jericho is also good for cocktail bars and there are loads of nightclubs further out like Bridge as well which is also good. Your Freshers week will probably give you a good idea of what's around if you go to those events. Aside from that there are tonnes of coffee shops, the covered market is brilliant and there are some quirky places if you take the time to look around.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by leahbroad
There are loads, depends what you're looking for! Camera is a good nightclub and pretty central, as a cocktail bar House is good, central - expensive but great in happy hour and they do good student discounts. Make sure you pick up an Oxone card in Freshers' week, they'll probably be in your JCR. Not many people know about them and they entitle you to great discounts in a lot of places. Jericho is also good for cocktail bars and there are loads of nightclubs further out like Bridge as well which is also good. Your Freshers week will probably give you a good idea of what's around if you go to those events. Aside from that there are tonnes of coffee shops, the covered market is brilliant and there are some quirky places if you take the time to look around.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks a bunch Leah!! xx :smile:
You're welcome :smile: You get to know the city pretty quickly after a while so let me know if there's anything else I can help with :P What college/course are you doing?
Original post by deFossard
Ha! Yeah good idea, you don't want a credit card lurking in your mind at the moment.

That said... I got my student account with HSBC yesterday, and I've signed up for a bloody credit card too! I'm using it ONLY in emergencies (promise) and as a replacement for my debit card if I'm buying something from a website which doesn't seem fully trustworthy. And I'll pay it back instantly. Hopefully. £750 overdraft on my account, pretty happy with that.

Sounds like you had a good interview. Certainly enough team sports around at Oxford. I suppose doing them proves you're not a misanthrope and can lead a group under pressure, right?

I think that's the idea behind the sports, aye. Aha, I'm wary of credit cards completely. 'Credit' provokes an instant shutdown with me, I just refuse to listen to it :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by leahbroad
You're welcome :smile: You get to know the city pretty quickly after a while so let me know if there's anything else I can help with :P What college/course are you doing?

PPE @ Balliol. What about you?
Just finished first year music at Christ Church...
Is anybody going to be in Oxford this Sunday night? There's an electro music night a friend's organisingwhich I might go to if I can find someone to go with. Anyone?
Original post by barefootfiona
Is anybody going to be in Oxford this Sunday night? There's an electro music night a friend's organisingwhich I might go to if I can find someone to go with. Anyone?

I would but won't get there til Sept 6... have fun!! x
Original post by hattierosie
I'll be more than happy to join a club with you as long as it isnt too costly and practise some basics - tbh i just want a friend to have a laugh with and to practise some stuff on the focus/kick pads with -- nothing major (:

I had a quick look on the website and it said £40 or £50 I think, but that may not have been up to date.
Awesome, I currently have the strength and stamina of of a child, but I'm sure (probably) that I'd be able to hold a pad without falling over :biggrin:
Reply 3077
Original post by lubie_tymbark
I'm still waiting for the pack, but considering the fact that it took a month for my offer to be delivered from Oxford to Warsaw, Ill most probably receive it shortly before the depature :smile:

Magdalen's pack says you're to send the university and college contracts by 1 September. :P
Reply 3078
Does anyone know what happens regarding accommodation at hertford? Haven't been told anything!
Original post by Omio
Magdalen's pack says you're to send the university and college contracts by 1 September. :P

Its no way then :biggrin:

Quick Reply