The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3160
Original post by joemullally
There was probably something lacking from her application

e.g.
I got 2A*'s 2A's
Tons of work ex and scored well for my ps.
However my UKCAT wasn't amazing and my GCSE's will always let me down.

A guy at my college got 4A*'s (100% in all maths, phys and chem modules) and got straight rejections but is lacking work ex.

Those articles are usually quite one sided.

You should apply to your strengths tbh.
If you get a strong UKCAT again this year then consider places that select for interview solely on UKCAT rankings (e.g. newcastle, durham, peninsula, sheffield)

Applying tactically will give you the best chance of getting in.

and you've met what most of them ask for. With A levels it wouldn't matter if you got all A*'s in most places as long as you got 3 A's.
But It depends where you apply.

That's true. It just seems risky applying again with all the competition. Are you alos a re-applicant? Where are you applying this year? I think I'll feel more confident once I've done my UKCAT. :smile::smile:
Original post by twelve
I'm pretty sure everyone will look at PS. Why do you think its so bad?

well, mostly it's just a bad irrational feeling, but somehow i think there's too little words for me to write what i want to say :frown:
Original post by Mandy92
ohh they're changing it? where where is the barts thread?

Supposedly, yes :erm:

It's here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1733296

Join us :colone:
Does anyone know how Southampton use the UKCAT scores? Do they regard it as important or not so important?
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Does anyone know how Southampton use the UKCAT scores? Do they regard it as important or not so important?

perhaps this might help? it's not too updated though but i'm sure it wouldn't differ too much? but just to be safe do check on the med school website as some schools like Leicster have changed their admission policies :smile:
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude

Southampton don't really use it. Cutoff is somewhere in the 500s so it plays very little part.

Southampton is very heavy towards personal statement afaik :smile:
Original post by Mandy92
ohh they're changing it? where where is the barts thread?

Medical schools sub forum (I made it :P)
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1733296&page=8

Original post by DDSB
That's true. It just seems risky applying again with all the competition. Are you alos a re-applicant? Where are you applying this year? I think I'll feel more confident once I've done my UKCAT. :smile::smile:

I am a re-applicant. All my academic infor etc is on my profile.

I'm applying to:
Leeds
Barts,
Peninsula
and Glasgow.
My friends were all discussing what kind of kitchen untensils they were taking to uni... Made me want to stab myself in the face with said kitchen utensils.

It's 'k though, NEXT YEAR IT WILL BE ME DISCUSSING HOW MANY SPOONS TO TAKE
Original post by laurenl93
My friends were all discussing what kind of kitchen untensils they were taking to uni... Made me want to stab myself in the face with said kitchen utensils.

It's 'k though, NEXT YEAR IT WILL BE ME DISCUSSING HOW MANY SPOONS TO TAKE

Are you gonna get a good quality iron ?

I need an Iron.
Ironing will be a big part of my student life . . .
Ugh :mad:

I know what you mean, my mates did that last year, and they're doing it all again.

Even my girlfriend is constantly buying new uni outfits or bags or glasses or whatever.

Sometimes I swear they do it on purpose:cool:

Next year though I'm gonna get uni everything.

Even uni socks.
I'm lucky my boyfriend started uni last year so I dont have to listen to him talking about new jeans and spoons and stuff... But then again in his student flat I've never saw a single plate, knife or spoon or anything. According to their kitchen The only things you need are 4 forks and a tin opener..

Next year I'm gna go on and on and kn about freshers week to my friends who are going to uni this year just to rub it in that they don't get one. Hah.

I know all my friends ate going out WIH their mums to buy cool uni stuff and saying how they've only got two weeks left in Newcastle. Bastards.

It's heartbreaking cus NOT ONE is staying in Newcastle, my bf will be the only one I have lmao how about you?

Most of my mates went last year.
and then this year the other few are.

But tbf I'm from north wales. Most of the people I know aren't going to uni or planning on it. So there's no chance I'll be lonely.
However finding people who are as fun as my close friends may be a challange.

Also four forks and a tin opener sounds like a good life.
I'm soo looking forward.

But they're missing a bottle opener, rookie mistake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3170
I'm lucky my boyfriend started uni last year so I dont have to listen to him talking about new jeans and spoons and stuff... But then again in his student flat I've never saw a single plate, knife or spoon or anything. According to their kitchen The only things you need are 4 forks and a tin opener..

Next year I'm gna go on and on and kn about freshers week to my friends who are going to uni this year just to rub it in that they don't get one. Hah.

I know all my friends ate going out WIH their mums to buy cool uni stuff and saying how they've only got two weeks left in Newcastle. Bastards.

It's heartbreaking cus NOT ONE is staying in Newcastle, my bf will be the only one I have lmao how about you?

My boyfriend went last year too but he lives miles away in London so the only person I'll have next year is some one I met this summer. At least you have your boyfriend :P
Reply 3171
ahh, fellow re-applicants (y)

how soon is everyone thinking of sending their ucas application off by this year? i still need to re-write my personal statement!
Original post by Tinth
My boyfriend went last year too but he lives miles away in London so the only person I'll have next year is some one I met this summer. At least you have your boyfriend :P

Aww no! God I feel for you my friends are all going in two weeks and I'm already starting to feel lonely cus I never see them these days because I'm always working or they're going out to buy uni stuff :frown:
That was the one thing I was scared about on my gap year, the fact all my friends are away (& by friends j mean the ones I routinely text and do things with) cus I know people who are staying in Newcastle but it's the fact can I remake a new group of friends?!

Are you doing a long distant thing with your boyfriend? :redface: that's really admirable if you re cus I couldn't imagine anything more difficult bless you, but hey we'll be going to uni next year and won't be the ones left at home this time :h:
Reply 3173
Aww no! God I feel for you my friends are all going in two weeks and I'm already starting to feel lonely cus I never see them these days because I'm always working or they're going out to buy uni stuff :frown:
That was the one thing I was scared about on my gap year, the fact all my friends are away (& by friends j mean the ones I routinely text and do things with) cus I know people who are staying in Newcastle but it's the fact can I remake a new group of friends?!

Are you doing a long distant thing with your boyfriend? :redface: that's really admirable if you re cus I couldn't imagine anything more difficult bless you, but hey we'll be going to uni next year and won't be the ones left at home this time :h:

Yep, I know exactly how you feel about this. I said goodbye to the first one who was leaving today, and I already feel sad about it. I invited all 'the girls' round the other day and they were talking about uni stuff and it made me soo sad :frown: In some ways, I like that my boyfriend is happy for me to organise everything for him - means I can plan it all out for him as if I was going. Although its going to be a shock after packing for him to find I'm home alone :frown:
Original post by twelve
Yep, I know exactly how you feel about this. I said goodbye to the first one who was leaving today, and I already feel sad about it. I invited all 'the girls' round the other day and they were talking about uni stuff and it made me soo sad :frown: In some ways, I like that my boyfriend is happy for me to organise everything for him - means I can plan it all out for him as if I was going. Although its going to be a shock after packing for him to find I'm home alone :frown:

Awh No my love, I'm sorry you're in the same position, though I guess a lot of us re apps are. I dunno Im having 'the girls' round my house too in a week or so and in some ways I'm dreading it because depaite the fact they're al nervous and excited about uni, all I can think is 'please don't forget about me'; which is extremely sad but I'm trying not to think it because they're all going to different unis to make different friends

Are you and your bf staying together LD or are you Gna see how it goes or something? Lmao if it were the reverse situation I'd be doing that for my boyfriend too so I could make sure he survives hehe
Original post by sounv001
ahh, fellow re-applicants (y)

how soon is everyone thinking of sending their ucas application off by this year? i still need to re-write my personal statement!

As soon as the thing will accept applications :tongue:

Original post by twelve

I have no idea if i'm gonna stay with my girlfriend or not.
I mean, I want her to enjoy uni if you know what I mean and I'd feel bad if I felt I was in her way.
Plus she says she wants to come back and see me and that could make her miss important stuff and bleugh.

I mean I ohnestly have no idea.

and about the friends thing. I'm sure you'll both meet loads of new people this year.
I did when all my mates (they're mostly a year or two older than me) left last year.
I mean I get a bit bleugh sometimes.
but it's ok.

:biggrin:
Reply 3176
Awh No my love, I'm sorry you're in the same position, though I guess a lot of us re apps are. I dunno Im having 'the girls' round my house too in a week or so and in some ways I'm dreading it because depaite the fact they're al nervous and excited about uni, all I can think is 'please don't forget about me'; which is extremely sad but I'm trying not to think it because they're all going to different unis to make different friends

Are you and your bf staying together LD or are you Gna see how it goes or something? Lmao if it were the reverse situation I'd be doing that for my boyfriend too so I could make sure he survives hehe

They won't forget about you - invite yourself round so they can't :P Thats my plan anyway. There will be some people you will grow apart from, but you'll realise your true friends are the ones who invite you round, and message you on facebook regularly! I'm writing letters to my friends, which should be nice :smile:

I have no idea if i'm gonna stay with my girlfriend or not.
I mean, I want her to enjoy uni if you know what I mean and I'd feel bad if I felt I was in her way.
Plus she says she wants to come back and see me and that could make her miss important stuff and bleugh.

I mean I ohnestly have no idea.

and about the friends thing. I'm sure you'll both meet loads of new people this year.
I did when all my mates (they're mostly a year or two older than me) left last year.
I mean I get a bit bleugh sometimes.
but it's ok.

:biggrin:

And about the boyfriend thing. Bleurgh.

Well, we are really close, and if he wasn't moving away (he's not exactly moving far, but its knowing that we'll be apart for such a long time - minimum 5 years from now...) I could imagine us staying together for a really long time. But as it is...

I've said to him that I'm coming over for the evening on my birthday (about two weeks after he leaves) but apart from that, I'm not seeing him for the first month. If I had my way, I would be seeing him every month from then on, once a month, but he's talking more like every fortnight. I'm exaxctly like you Joe - don't want him to miss stuff! I'm prety certain we can't do long distance for all that time, but right now its still good, so I an't break it off yet - too difficult. I've had many a drunken conversation about this with my friends haha. I can't decide anything, so the only thing to do is wait and see.

He's not going to be far this year (literally half hour drive from my house) but its more worrying about what will happen when I go away next year? And the fact that we'll be doing the long distance thing for so long, and that I think we'll be rubbish at it and miss eachother loads :/

Ahh well. C'est difficile!
Original post by twelve
They won't forget about you - invite yourself round so they can't :P Thats my plan anyway. There will be some people you will grow apart from, but you'll realise your true friends are the ones who invite you round, and message you on facebook regularly! I'm writing letters to my friends, which should be nice :smile:

And about the boyfriend thing. Bleurgh.

Well, we are really close, and if he wasn't moving away (he's not exactly moving far, but its knowing that we'll be apart for such a long time - minimum 5 years from now...) I could imagine us staying together for a really long time. But as it is...

I've said to him that I'm coming over for the evening on my birthday (about two weeks after he leaves) but apart from that, I'm not seeing him for the first month. If I had my way, I would be seeing him every month from then on, once a month, but he's talking more like every fortnight. I'm exaxctly like you Joe - don't want him to miss stuff! I'm prety certain we can't do long distance for all that time, but right now its still good, so I an't break it off yet - too difficult. I've had many a drunken conversation about this with my friends haha. I can't decide anything, so the only thing to do is wait and see.

He's not going to be far this year (literally half hour drive from my house) but its more worrying about what will happen when I go away next year? And the fact that we'll be doing the long distance thing for so long, and that I think we'll be rubbish at it and miss eachother loads :/

Ahh well. C'est difficile!

I know what you mean about it, I mean she's not too far (hour and a half away) from me but I can't do distance things.
And yeah what happens when I go to uni.
And my terms are gonna be different to hers as med students are in uni long after normal people finish their exams (not that medstudents are abnormal, just a minority)

and like Idk
I've seen so many strong relationships go to uni and come back in tatters, with both people getting hurt badly because of the messy and drawn out nature of the break up.
I don't want that, especially not for her.
I'm currently in the it's better to have memories of awesome times had than for them to be spoilt by a messy breakup mindset.

I want to cherish the times i've had with her and am scared that uni would turn it into a bitter horrible year.

We also argue often atm (we never used to argue) and i think it's because of the uni thing. We're both dreading it but I can't talk to my mates about it.
They're all closed off typical guys and have enough stuff to deal with with their respective girlfriends at the moment (it's a weird month for welsh relationships and not just because of uni).

we even like broke up last month and I ended up having to give her a lift to her house (50 mile round trip) at 2 am because she was upset and crying on the pavement. That was like difficult and we got back together so we could have some more good times before uni and all that. But it's not been the same and this uni thing has been hanging over our heads.

Sorry for the essay but I must cut it short before I bore you all to death.
Reply 3178
I know what you mean about it, I mean she's not too far (hour and a half away) from me but I can't do distance things.
And my terms are gonna be different to hers as med students are in uni long after normal people finish their exams (not that medstudents are abnormal, just a minority)

and like Idk
I've seen so many strong relationships go to uni and come back in tatters, with both people getting hurt badly because of the messy and drawn out nature of the break up.
I'm currently in the it's better to have memories of awesome times had than for them to be spoilt by a messy breakup mindset.

I want to cherish the times i've had with her and am scared that uni would turn it into a bitter horrible year.

We also argue often atm (we never used to argue) and i think it's because of the uni thing. We're both dreading it but I can't talk to my mates about it.
They're all closed off typical guys and have enough stuff to deal with with their respective girlfriends at the moment (it's a weird month for welsh relationships and not just because of uni).

we even like broke up last month and I ended up having to give her a lift to her house (50 mile round trip) at 2 am because she was upset and crying on the pavement. That was like difficult and we got back together so we could have some more good times before uni and all that. But it's not been the same and this uni thing has been hanging over our heads.

Noo, don't worry about it - I guess we're in kind of a different boat to everyone else. At least with other people, both are leaving, and going to do new things, but we're just staying at home :/

Yeahh, me and my boyfriend have been arguing a lot recently. I guess in some ways, I might be trying to find reason to end it with him? I know it would be easier if it was over now, so we could both get over it, but I just can't do it. I guess to be fair to her, you need to wait and see how it goes. I'm planning on ending it as soon as things start to go badly , obviously I'm hoping they won't, but somehow it seems inevitable. I don't want to draw it out, and like you said, don't want it to turn into a bitter horrible year.

and like Idk

Me and my girlfriend lasted all the way through her first year while I was on a gap year :h: it was only until this summer when she broke up with me :cry: she didn't like the fact I was doing medicine, because it is what she always wanted to do :frown:

But making the relationship last through uni isn't too hard if you trust eachother. You also have to make the trips obviously to go and see her a fair bit :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending