The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where there's muck there's brass
Reply 2
What did you expect them to earn? A pittance just because you look down on their job?

Living costs are expensive nowadays, salaries have risen to meet this. Being a binman is a physical job, they work hard and we'd literally all be in the **** without them.

If you want to complain about disproportionate salaries there are plenty of better examples e.g. footballers.
Reply 3
Original post by Charzhino
My friend just told me binmen earn £30k a year to which I laughed but then did a quick google search to find out he was right? Why do they earn this much!!?

Have you seen what they do? I think it's only fair they get paid that much, considering what they do and the **** they take for it.
They get paid pretty well for what they do. So much to speak, that there is a waiting list for it believe it or not!
Reply 5
I respect that, these guys aren't afraid to get their hands dirty.
I doubt it's that much.
They get paid well for doing a pretty physical job. I can kind of see the appeal, the binmen around my area are always running from point to point, at least its not an office job.
Reply 8
Thats as ludicrus as tube drivers earning 40k a year
Reply 9
Yeah bin men clean up. :emo:
Why shouldn't they get paid a decent amount? Their job is rather important and hardly easy.
Original post by Charzhino
My friend just told me binmen earn £30k a year to which I laughed but then did a quick google search to find out he was right? Why do they earn this much!!?

Binmen earn more than teachers.

In an article, binmen in Birmingham were earning up to and above 45k.

In London, 30k is a common salary, just for normal binmen.

Sometimes I cba with ucl and just want an easy life, working 2 hours a day every morning, taking a shower and having the rest of the day of, yet raking in a teachers pay, i've genuinely considered it, like in depth :sad:
A Binman once did a little poo in our next door neighbour's bin. Apparently they knew each other and were having a dispute.

I, to this day, don't see what he acheived from doing this. :s-smilie:
Original post by Nightstar-27
Why shouldn't they get paid a decent amount? Their job is rather important and hardly easy.

What's so difficult about it? (Genuinely curious btw, not meaning to sound harsh to them)
Reply 15
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I doubt it's that much.

They earn very close to it. Google it and see for yourself.
Reply 16
Original post by Democracy
What did you expect them to earn? A pittance just because you look down on their job?....If you want to complain about disproportionate salaries there are plenty of better examples e.g. footballers.

I think the point is that £30k (a teacher's salary) is earned by essentially throwing bags into a truck. Putting the age-old "work hard in school or else you'll end up a bin man" mentality aside, I can't think of many jobs that require less skill.
Original post by dom99
Thats as ludicrus as tube drivers earning 40k a year

What??? :eek:
Reply 18
Original post by Mickey Bricks
Binmen earn more than teachers.

In an article, binmen in Birmingham were earning up to and above 45k.

In London, 30k is a common salary, just for normal binmen.

Sometimes I cba with ucl and just want an easy life, working 2 hours a day every morning, taking a shower and having the rest of the day of, yet raking in a teachers pay, i've genuinely considered it, like in depth :sad:

Same, how depressing I will be teaching maths in september and could have bought a house by now as a binman
Reply 19
Original post by Mickey Bricks
What's so difficult about it? (Genuinely curious btw, not meaning to sound harsh to them)

Long and early hours.

Latest

Trending

Trending