The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

True... students wear college hoodies mostly, tourists wear university hoodies(Although I do know one guy who wears a uni one, but he's very Cambridge up himself...)
Original post by Cast.Iron
We're Cambridge men now, therefore these naked displays of emotion cannot be shown.

Instead we must be: :pierre:

Love this :')
I'm way too excited by the fact that I get to cycle everywhere, even though I'm actually not a very good cyclist, those tourists better watch out :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2803
Original post by Tortious
Be sure to get a horn/bell so you can express your disdain for tourists in a universal language! :wink:

I think I might just take my boyfriend's trombone.
So when someone get's in my way, I get the trombone and blow it in their ear. :ninja:

This requires knowing how to ride a bike one handed and play a trombone one handed. Challenging, but possible.

Original post by gethsemane342
I still nearly get run over by bikes. In fact, on the way to one of my exams this year, I jumped out of the way of a car, into the way of a bike, jumped backwards into the path of the car and ended up running just in front of the bike. Then I walked by a chained bike, caught my sleeve on its handle and spent the next minute trying to get it off me.

The upside was that my friends found this so hilarious, they forgot to be nervous about our exam. The downside was that I spent the rest of the walk to the exam checking every road 4 times.

Usually someone pulls me out of the way of traffic. She's going on a Year Abroad. I may actually die from being hit by a bike...

I can imagine that the rate of "pedestrian-injuries-due-to-bloody-bicyles" is higher in Cambridge than anywhere in the UK...
Aw Geth, please be careful and DON'T DIE ON US. Especially not by being hit by a bike - that would just sound... bad. :P

Original post by SoapyDish
Want to hear something more lame? I got overtaken by a milk float. I wasn't walking or cycling, no, I was in a car. And got overtaken by a milk float. The shame :sigh:

A milk float? Aren't those one of the slowest things on Earth just before a sloth?
That is bad :frown:
How did you manage that? :P

Original post by Got the tshirt
very lame. *shakes head* now that would have been embarrassing to put on your tombstone :P

I know :frown: When it kept happening, my mum was shouting at me "BE CAREFUL, HOW CAN I SEND YOU TO UNIVERSITY IF YOU CAN'T CROSS THE ROAD WITHOUT BEING RUN OVER BY A BICYCLE" and then she ran into the path of a bicycle and I found that quite funny :biggrin: (poor Mum, I'll miss her :frown: )
Original post by kpatb
A milk float? Aren't those one of the slowest things on Earth just before a sloth?
That is bad :frown:
How did you manage that? :P

Pretty much, yeah! It was on a roundabout that I really don't like, soon after taking my test, and it has really narrow lanes that I was trying to stay in. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing anything wrong!
Reply 2805
Original post by SoapyDish
Pretty much, yeah! It was on a roundabout that I really don't like, soon after taking my test, and it has really narrow lanes that I was trying to stay in. I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing anything wrong!

It's okay, the fact that you passed your test and can drive is a huge achievement in itself :biggrin: (I am very impressed :smile: Mainly because my Hand-eye co-ordination is zero)
(Btw, did you do your lessons in Cambridge? If so, how much did it cost?)
All this stuff on driving actually reminds me .. is it worth getting a moped/small motorbike in Cambs? Driving test (practical) this friday!
Original post by kpatb
It's okay, the fact that you passed your test and can drive is a huge achievement in itself :biggrin: (I am very impressed :smile: Mainly because my Hand-eye co-ordination is zero)
(Btw, did you do your lessons in Cambridge? If so, how much did it cost?)

Nah, I did it before uni. I had a friend who did lessons in Cambridge though - think it was around £24 an hour? She failed her theory twice though, so might not be best to go with whoever she had!
Original post by a daedalus
All this stuff on driving actually reminds me .. is it worth getting a moped/small motorbike in Cambs? Driving test (practical) this friday!

I don't think so - you're not allowed to have a car as a student (unless you can get permission from the University Proctor), so I doubt they'd allow other "vehicles". Besides, it'd probably be a pain - where would you park it?

Anyway, good luck for your test! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by LewisB101
Hey

I got an offer today (on my birthday :biggrin:). A*AA for economics at Robinson. Anyone else with offers for economics or from Robinson drop me a PM - it'd be great to get to know some of you before October :smile:

Congrats to all those with offers.

hey i have just seen this thread. I have got in to robinson to read economics too! did u meet ur offer????
Original post by kpatb
Cyclists are crazy :eek:
The number of times I nearly got run over during my visit to Cambridge for my interview... BY A BICYCLE. I mean, I've NEVER HEARD ANYTHING SO LAME IN MY LIFE :sigh:

(Hehe, I can't wait to buy a bike and terrorize pedestrians. Mwahahaha :ninja:)
I'm gonna shamelessly push my friend's bike shop here, and recommend you go to The Cycle Repair Shop on Mill Rd :tongue:

Cycling in Cambridge is ace. Except when you get knocked over by people who don't get the one way system in town.
Reply 2811
Original post by Spungo
Ooh Hi :smile:

Did you not have your interviews there?

No, I was pooled and finished by Jesus. Lol. But those pic of it are nice.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I got a 'concerned' PM from them about how they reckon I'll struggle at Cam 'cos I missed my offer and 'cos my GCSEs are below Cam's average. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong - you got the GCSEs at a school with a low GCSE percentage, thus meaning you actually did pretty well to get them? And you got AAA, nearly A*A*A. I seriously doubt this means you will do badly at Cambridge :wink:
Original post by cpdavis
you're a bitch, fact

Wow, chill out?

In reply to other posts .. yes Zoe I know Gooner! A bit, I guess.

Also, my (I)GCSEs were way, way below Cam average, so it's okay. I honestly think the ability to enjoy your work and other unmeasurable, personal quirks contribute so much to people's uni achivement that your previous record can be near meaningless, especially if you're comparing it with the 9 A* type headed-for-cambs-since-5th-grade achiever...
Original post by ukdragon37
You should point her the way of the guy who got 23 A-levels and didn't exactly do stellar at Cam....

:laugh:

You do have a point...

Original post by gethsemane342
Correct me if I'm wrong - you got the GCSEs at a school with a low GCSE percentage, thus meaning you actually did pretty well to get them? And you got AAA, nearly A*A*A. I seriously doubt this means you will do badly at Cambridge :wink:

Lawyer's logic- I love it! :top:
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I got a 'concerned' PM from them about how they reckon I'll struggle at Cam 'cos I missed my offer and 'cos my GCSEs are below Cam's average. :rolleyes:

How many times do I have to tell you that haters gonna hate?

:pierre:
Original post by Cast.Iron
How many times do I have to tell you that haters gonna hate?

Bro, you speak the truth.

Reply 2817
Original post by a daedalus

In reply to other posts .. yes Zoe I know Gooner! A bit, I guess.

That was in the Emma thread :p: It's always nice to have someone you know slightly when you show up anyway, I had a couple of people I'd chatted to on here/Facebook and it made me feel a lot more comfortable on my first day :smile:
Reply 2818
Do all the colleges require the UMS marks even you met the offer? Whats the point of this? Only for statistic dataset?
Also, will all the colleges send out the preparatory engineering booklet to the offer holders?
I haven't got one yet and should I ask for one?
Original post by Amy Luo
Do all the colleges require the UMS marks even you met the offer? Whats the point of this? Only for statistic dataset?

It's for a research project, investigating the correlation between UMS Marks and Tripos scores. That's all - your A2 UMS won't affect your getting in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending