The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgegabriel
I agree, but sadly I don't know how to do that! I've only just started out with photoshop. I'll look into it though. I'd like to try one with sunrise sunset and the night..but it'd take a lot of dedication haha!

It's just a case of dragging the images on top of each other :smile: As long as it was all shot on a tripod it should be easy.

If you buy a remote shutter release (one of the good ones) or shoot tethered to a laptop you can leave it to shoot for you whilst you get some sleep :smile:.. of course as long as you're not leaving your camera and laptop outside in the rain, shooting on a covered balcony is good, you can run the cable to your laptop inside the door too.

If you shoot a few thousand images over the whole night you can make an image / print like that AND also use the extra images to create a timelapse shot.

One of the coolest things about doing timelapse on an SLR is you are effectively shooting in Super-HD (as 1080p HD is only equivalent to a 2mp image and your camera is probably at least 5x that). So when you render them all into a video, you can actually zoom in and out of the image, or pan around as the time lapse occurs, it's a REALLY neat effect. I recommend trying it out sometime.

I've probably overdone the soft focus but was trying out my new lens. I quite like the effect though.
Original post by alcazaba
It's just a case of dragging the images on top of each other :smile: As long as it was all shot on a tripod it should be easy.

If you buy a remote shutter release (one of the good ones) or shoot tethered to a laptop you can leave it to shoot for you whilst you get some sleep :smile:.. of course as long as you're not leaving your camera and laptop outside in the rain, shooting on a covered balcony is good, you can run the cable to your laptop inside the door too.

If you shoot a few thousand images over the whole night you can make an image / print like that AND also use the extra images to create a timelapse shot.

One of the coolest things about doing timelapse on an SLR is you are effectively shooting in Super-HD (as 1080p HD is only equivalent to a 2mp image and your camera is probably at least 5x that). So when you render them all into a video, you can actually zoom in and out of the image, or pan around as the time lapse occurs, it's a REALLY neat effect. I recommend trying it out sometime.

It's cool I just this moment figured it out, I just have to crop out different parts of each layer. I'll post the result in a moment!

When I said I didn't know how to do it I only meant in terms of that photoshop layering..I have an intervalometer and I plan to use it to full effect this week when I'm shooting! I have an ND filter too so I'm gonna try some daytime timelapse.

In reply to your Super-HD point, I know what you mean, it's amazing! If need be I can shoot at nearly 4 times full 1080p HD for super pan and zooming..to be honest to save space I'll probably shoot at 7MP or something like that, should give me enough leeway :smile:

I'm on a timelapse mad one at the moment, planning to make timelapse vids, long exposure shoots and some of these timelapse pictures. I'll be sure to show you the results, and thanks for your help! Repped.
It's cool I just this moment figured it out, I just have to crop out different parts of each layer. I'll post the result in a moment!

When I said I didn't know how to do it I only meant in terms of that photoshop layering..I have an intervalometer and I plan to use it to full effect this week when I'm shooting! I have an ND filter too so I'm gonna try some daytime timelapse.

In reply to your Super-HD point, I know what you mean, it's amazing! If need be I can shoot at nearly 4 times full 1080p HD for super pan and zooming..to be honest to save space I'll probably shoot at 7MP or something like that, should give me enough leeway :smile:

I'm on a timelapse mad one at the moment, planning to make timelapse vids, long exposure shoots and some of these timelapse pictures. I'll be sure to show you the results, and thanks for your help! Repped.

Looking forward to seeing some! :h:

I really need to get a ND for daytime long exposure. I really want one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Neutral-Density-ND-400-Multi-Coated/dp/B00111UX40

However, I already have enough things on my wish list and no money to buy any of them :laugh:
Reply 2745

I really need to get a ND for daytime long exposure. I really want one of these:

However, I already have enough things on my wish list and no money to buy any of them :laugh:

I don't think you need filters like that unless you're a commercial photographer (I don't know if you are!).

Check 7dayshop.com for cheap filters. See here.
Original post by ColourDog

Spoiler

Wooo they worked!

My dog :smile: My recent personal faves :smile: But, i may be bias! :biggrin:

Wow, I love how intense the colour is in the first picture. :smile:
So, I just had a quick play around with the two styles of timelapse pictures, the blending and then the blocks of time that you mentioned; which do you prefer? I think I prefer the blending now that I look them both, but I think it depends on what you're shooting.

Burrard Bridge, Vancouver. 2pm-7pm by georgegabriel, on Flickr

Burrard Bridge, Vancouver. 12pm-7pm by georgegabriel, on Flickr

Haha my ND filter was 15 quid from Amazon, does the trick very well! Once I get more into photography I figure I'll buy something more fancy but I've only been doing it for a couple of months!
:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
So, I just had a quick play around with the two styles of timelapse pictures, the blending and then the blocks of time that you mentioned; which do you prefer? I think I prefer the blending now that I look them both, but I think it depends on what you're shooting.

Burrard Bridge, Vancouver. 2pm-7pm by georgegabriel, on Flickr

Burrard Bridge, Vancouver. 12pm-7pm by georgegabriel, on Flickr

Haha my ND filter was 15 quid from Amazon, does the trick very well! Once I get more into photography I figure I'll buy something more fancy but I've only been doing it for a couple of months!

Prefer the blocks. Although the 3rd from the right looks a bit off, like it doesn't quite belong there.
Original post by Tits&Acid
Prefer the blocks. Although the 3rd from the right looks a bit off, like it doesn't quite belong there.

4pm saw a massive bout of fog for some reason, that's why. Was contemplating leaving it out but I wasn't sure about the drastic lighting change between 2pm and 6pm. thanks for your feedback though i'm trying to decide what looks better for this particular technique :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Roobsa
I don't think you need filters like that unless you're a commercial photographer (I don't know if you are!).

Yeah I have a couple of the cheap filters already, they are are great price and are indeed handy for cutting out light but they generally only cover the ND2-ND8 range though which is a maximum of 3 stops (around 10% light transmission). The link I posted was ND 400 which equates to around 9 stops (or 0.2%-ish transmission) :teeth: I used one for creating some fine art prints for a gallery whilst I was working in Canada, they are epic for ocean work. You can effectively turn any city center into a "ghost town" with them too.

Admittedly they are pretty limited in their use though, and I don't generally shoot landscape hence being on the 'wish list' and not the 'need list' :biggrin:
Original post by Roobsa

Not true. A lot of amateurs have filters. They do wonders for landscape work, which is what I do the most. Think about it really, how is slowing an exposure going to help a commercial photographer who has to take pictures of a wedding, for example?

Also, cheap filters are nasty, but the best of the nasty ones are probably either Cokin or Kood, for slot in filter systems. ND Grads are amazing to help balance the sky and land!
with a nikon D5000

Reply 2754
Reply 2755
Just another favourite of mine, no skill just the awesome contents!... I love hedgehogs! Was doing some more surveying/behavioural studies with a friend this eve.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wtid
Can I do another? :biggrin:

God this is absolutely stunning. It's so beautiful. I love it.
I'm in Berlin!

View from the Berlin TV Tower by georgegabriel, on Flickr
I went up snowdon two days ago. One of my photos from the way up:
Tried my hand at tilt-shift when in Cornwall. Not entirely sure the effect has worked, but here we go:

Another one from Cornwall..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending