The Student Room Group

Advice on graduate entry dentistry

Hi all,

I am having a bit of a career crisis and did a bit of googling into graduate entry dentistry (I'm currently doing an MSc in Psychology). I looked up the entry requirements and turns out my degree is healthcare related so for Barts and the London I would only need an AS in Chemistry (at least a B) and to do the UKCAT.

I have always fancied dentistry but never really considered it as my A levels were always going to be rubbish and I thought it was for people with seriously high science academic ability. But, reading the entry requirements for graduate entry, the impression I get is that people skills are the main thing they are looking for (obviously after passing the entry requirements). I could be wrong on that but that is the impression I got.

Chances are I won't pursue this but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on whether I'd have any chance whatsoever on getting on a course like this, whether it is funded (I think undergrad ones are but as I've had my 3 years of funding would I have to self-fund?) and how competitive it is?

Any advice on this whatsoever would be much appreciated as I know very little about it. Cheers
Reply 1
as long as you have a decent degree and manage UKCAT then you should be ok. phone or email admissions, they are very helpful.

with regards to finance - at the moment if you do the graduate entry programme you self fund the first year (£3290 but this is most likely going to change!) and then NHS funds the remaining three years.

if you do the 5 year programme I think you only get funding for the last year if i remember correctly.

you will get all the loans and grants etc from student finance. it's not unfeasable to work either. there is a huge volume of work but none of it is rocket science so as long you are disciplined, you can manage.
Reply 2
Hi,
I was just wondering for graduate entry;

A)Do admissions look at the university you achieved your initial degree from i.e going to a v.good university over one that is considered "worse". And how does affect your chances?

B) If the minimum requirement is a 2:1, will having a first have an improved chance?

Thankyou; this has bee stressing me out -_-
Original post by libanshire
Hi,
I was just wondering for graduate entry;

A)Do admissions look at the university you achieved your initial degree from i.e going to a v.good university over one that is considered "worse". And how does affect your chances?

Doubt it. It's you transcipt of what you did at uni and how you've done that matter.

B) If the minimum requirement is a 2:1, will having a first have an improved chance?

Of course. It's like any course. If there is someone with an AAB and then someone with AAA the latter is in a better position. I confirmed this with a uni.

Thankyou; this has bee stressing me out -_-

Hope the above helps.
Reply 4
Hi all,

Hope I can help,

As a graduate,

and from an obscure background, (previous degree in Architecture - finishing in 2011),

I appied for dentistry and got a place starting in september,

previous to applying I went into great detail with the career advisors at a number of universities about my chances of getting into dent with a background like mine.

I achieved ABB at alevel (maths, physics and chem) in 2007 and a first in Architecture with a B at AS level biology,

This however wasnt that big of a pointer made. They moreso suggested that it was how you had done in your most recent of qualifications i.e ukcat and degree that was the big decider.

From what i had previously researched if you had achieved a higher level of degree your alevel results became lowered,

Independant from all of the above they look for a score of 600 and above average on all 4 parts of the ukcat, this quite rigid form of assessment may be lowered though in the following year with the price hike and the lowered number of applicants applying.

Added to this, a second degree for undergraduate level is not supported by student finance groups unless there are special circumstances, i.e they dont pay for your tuition fee but do pay for your maintenace loan, so bursaries, bank loans, scholarships/G/parents are the only real way to pay for this.

Email me back if you have any further questions and Il try to help,

Kind Regards,

Crirish
Reply 5
Hi Crirish,

I'm currently studying biochemistry at Liverpool university and will finish my course in 2014
I'm really interested in studying dentistry, which university did you get into?

I'm really worried that I won't get in as I only got AABB at A level (biology, art, chemistry and maths) so i missed out for the undergrad course because my chem wasnt an A :frown:

Plus the amount of places is so little!! Do you know how many usually apply for post-grad dentistry??

Kind regards

Haidee
Reply 6
Original post by heydee2
Hi Crirish,

I'm currently studying biochemistry at Liverpool university and will finish my course in 2014
I'm really interested in studying dentistry, which university did you get into?

I'm really worried that I won't get in as I only got AABB at A level (biology, art, chemistry and maths) so i missed out for the undergrad course because my chem wasnt an A :frown:

Plus the amount of places is so little!! Do you know how many usually apply for post-grad dentistry??

Kind regards

Haidee

Your A-level grades are excellent for graduate entry. KCL would have probably considered an application from you for the 5 year course with AABB and without having a degree. Have you considered reapplying whilst doing the 1st year of university?

Quick Reply

Latest