The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

How necessary will a dinner suit be?
Reply 3101
Original post by micky022

I'd like to know this as well, although I fear the answer may be 'very'
From what Incarnadine91 has said, a dinner jacket seems like it gets quite a bit of use. I know at Magdalen there is black tie Formal Hall once a week, and I think that some of the JCR events might be.

His post was only a few pages back, when we were all talking about clothes, it was pretty clear.

From what I've gathered, from my own college at least, is that you needn't have anything more elaborate than a standard three-piece.

Furthermore, if you're worried about cost (which is certainly a concern of mine!) it seems that lots of places in Oxford will offer discounts to Freshers on formal attire.
Currently waiting on my reading list books to arrive so I can make a start.
Something like that shouldn't be so exciting XD
Oop, £46 for a dinner suit on here: http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/Suithire/Index.htm

Ah, that's to hire. Stuff that, I can buy one for a few dollars more...
Original post by Babs12123
I had a quick look on the website and it said £40 or £50 I think, but that may not have been up to date.
Awesome, I currently have the strength and stamina of of a child, but I'm sure (probably) that I'd be able to hold a pad without falling over :biggrin:

I'm 5'1 and not even 100 pounds - honestly, you will do fine! That's also not too extravogant (as long as thats a yearly fee and im assuming) (:

Original post by deFossard
From what Incarnadine91 has said, a dinner jacket seems like it gets quite a bit of use. I know at Magdalen there is black tie Formal Hall once a week, and I think that some of the JCR events might be.

His post was only a few pages back, when we were all talking about clothes, it was pretty clear.

Her :smile: Yeah, you'll need suitable black tie wear/a decent three-peice suit - apart from being used for sub fusc in your Matriculation, you'll also need it for black tie bops/entz's, formal hall in some colleges, smart dinners, most balls and quite a few society do's. I arrived without a dress to my name and had to rather frantically collect a selection, much to my wallet's dismay. You guys are lucky, you can deal with only the one suit, I can't wear the same dress in the same company twice in a row! Quite a few of my male friends have taken to wearing waistcoats to the more fancy occassions, but that is obviously optional.
Original post by Incarnadine91
Her :smile: Yeah, you'll need suitable black tie wear/a decent three-peice suit - apart from being used for sub fusc in your Matriculation, you'll also need it for black tie bops/entz's, formal hall in some colleges, smart dinners, most balls and quite a few society do's. I arrived without a dress to my name and had to rather frantically collect a selection, much to my wallet's dismay. You guys are lucky, you can deal with only the one suit, I can't wear the same dress in the same company twice in a row! Quite a few of my male friends have taken to wearing waistcoats to the more fancy occassions, but that is obviously optional.

So I can get away with one black suit? YES

Woops! I'm a horrible old misogynist who's still confused by the idea of Oxford being co-ed. Thank you again, I'll bring my suits up, no harm in doing so.
So I can get away with one black suit? YES

If you're prepared to wash it thouroughly several times a term, yes, you can.

Original post by deFossard
Woops! I'm a horrible old misogynist who's still confused by the idea of Oxford being co-ed. Thank you again, I'll bring my suits up, no harm in doing so.

Haha, that's historians for you - always stuck in the past :wink: No problem!
Original post by rohitronaldo
Ditto I am not a big binge drinker or anything of that sort. But it seems quite unfair if your entire college is downstairs in the bar and you're forced to sit alone in your room for an entire night.

Original post by Yafoubnx
My sentiments exactly. Socializing after nightfall is going to be somewhat more difficult for us methinks.

This may differ according to college, but I got my letter about being under 18 today, and emailed the contact given on it to ask about the rules with this - got a reply saying:

"You will not be excluded from any event because you are under 18" ... "you can enter the College Bar or Dining Hall ( where alcohol is served from time-to-time) but you cannot purchase nor ask anyone else to purchase alcohol for you."

They were really helpful and didn't mind me asking in the slightest, so might be worth an email to clarify the situation at your colleges if you're concerned about it :smile:
do you think is worth attend to the orientation programme?
http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/new/orientation/
Original post by moritzplatz

Original post by moritzplatz
do you think is worth attend to the orientation programme?
http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/new/orientation/

My brother went to Oxford a few years back and said the orientation programme is quite useful...
, I can't wear the same dress in the same company twice in a row!

Is it OK that I find this terrifying?

I'm not a tomboy really by any means but I only own three dresses - one chambray sun dress, one elastic-waistband H&M sun dress and one two-year-old purple knitted cowl-neck.

I was planning on just buying the one fancy dress... like a black one or a blue one, I don't know, I've never had one... But do you think I should get more? Like 3, 4, 5? I don't have that much money, can you recommend some good places to buy 'formal ' and/or 'going-out' clothes? I just don't like things to be too short or tight. Please, help! :O
Original post by barefootfiona
I'm not into sports much either... in fact I (as many nerds did) hated PE above all else. However, I also love Lord of the Rings and don't just want to watch action films, I want to be able to take part. I'm also a HUGE HUGE lover of being in nature, and it seems to me that kayaking is the perfect outdoorsy sport. In addition (yeah I've really thought this through), I want to be physically strong and I know that sports societies are a great way to make friends, bond, let off steam from all the studying and make sure that you have something else you care about other than school, or relationships, or career. :biggrin:

I may well pop into the HP society once or twice to see if it's any good - I feel like my surname should get me some sort of honorary status :P (It's Potter). Also, I've heard that my college sorts people into the Hogwarts houses, though that may just be a rumour!

Have a look at the http://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/. I think learning a language is a great idea. It's so fun and fulfilling, and a lot of my friends who have taken up a language at Uni found they learnt much better than they ever did at school. What kind of languages would you be interested in?

Don't worry - this is normal. I got so freaked out when I got my results and was so pissed off at myself (I felt like I was failing myself by accepting the place - a long and not interesting story) that I asked for and took a last-minute gap year.

So as long as it's not that bad, don't worry (and if it is, good on you for knowing what you want). Also, remember you're not going to prison. If you're there and you hate it or can't handle it you can stop, drop out or even just take a year or term out.

One good way not to feel so nervous and overwhelmed is to pick a handful of small things you'll really look forward to - discussing a book on your reading list, joining a particular society, or even just imagining which pictures you'll put on your wall will give you a sense of perspective.

And have a hug, just for good measure

German could be fun, or Russian what about you? And I can't believe your surname's Potter
Original post by billieerin23
German could be fun, or Russian what about you? And I can't believe your surname's Potter

Yeah, Russian is amazing! I don't think I could ever learn that though, it's so hard!. I'm a linguistic hamster: basically I just stick to the families of languages I know and then try to learn them comprehensively. I'll be studying German sole and I'm bilingual German so I won't be taking a short course in that :biggrin:

I hope I'll get on an LASR course in Spanish for beginners, but if not, I'll use their resources to try to learn Spanish as well as keep up my other languages. If they had taught courses in any Scandinavian languages I'd be there like a shot, but sadly the course choice seems quite traditional!
Is it OK that I find this terrifying?

I'm not a tomboy really by any means but I only own three dresses - one chambray sun dress, one elastic-waistband H&M sun dress and one two-year-old purple knitted cowl-neck.

I was planning on just buying the one fancy dress... like a black one or a blue one, I don't know, I've never had one... But do you think I should get more? Like 3, 4, 5? I don't have that much money, can you recommend some good places to buy 'formal ' and/or 'going-out' clothes? I just don't like things to be too short or tight. Please, help! :O

It's alright, I did too :wink: Don't panic, they don't need to be too formal, what you have (plus the one 'fancy' dress if you want for a really posh occassion) should be sufficient. We're talking cocktail dresses, not ball gowns! As long as you have more than one dress, you're OK - what I meant was that I didn't have any, and had to get two or more in a hurry! If it comes down to that, charity shops are your friend, plus there are plenty of shops in Oxford where you can get good quality dresses for fairly reasonable prices. But if you have a black tie Entz and then society drinks and then a college lunch all in the same week (as could quite possibly happen) you don't want to wear the same dress to all three, do you? You could get away with two though :wink:
Yeah, Russian is amazing! I don't think I could ever learn that though, it's so hard!. I'm a linguistic hamster: basically I just stick to the families of languages I know and then try to learn them comprehensively. I'll be studying German sole and I'm bilingual German so I won't be taking a short course in that :biggrin:

I hope I'll get on an LASR course in Spanish for beginners, but if not, I'll use their resources to try to learn Spanish as well as keep up my other languages. If they had taught courses in any Scandinavian languages I'd be there like a shot, but sadly the course choice seems quite traditional!

Scandinavian languages would be a lot of fun actually, that's a real shame. I'm very envious of your German language skills! I did Latin for GCSE and quite enjoyed that but gave it up because I thought it wasn't very useful (being a dead language and all) but actually lots of Medieval Sources seem to be in Latin (I'm doing History) so I might see if I can learn that because I know the basics already (I'm a bit of a linguistic hamster too). I'm finding Medieval History really interesting.
Reply 3119
I've started to learn (read: pronounce) Old English words and despite my initial scepticism, it's so fun! Even if I don't understand the words, I love the lyricism and Germanic/Scandinavian epic feel of the whole thing. There's a translation, thankfully, but my Beowulf (by Heaney) only has the Old English for the first page :frown: I want the whole thing! Anyone have a better copy? I have the Faber & Faber edition 2000 (ISBN: 0-571-20376-0). I must get more Old English poetry!
Anyone else enjoying it? :smile:
I'm so looking forward to learning it now. I thought I wouldn't enjoy the Anglo-Saxon modules (or medieval), but I think I am going to love the Anglo-Saxon now! :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending