The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2011/2012 chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by >Anna<

I made the mistake of asking for a cider (Somersby - apparently it's what the local women drink?) when I was out last friday and it cost 55DKK! I couldn't believe it :p:

Hahahaha, oh yes, Somersby is delicious and definitely what all the local women drink if they can afford it! I see you've found the lovely cheap tequila shots :biggrin: I hope you're enjoying Copenhagen.
Reply 81
I'll be studying abroad in Northern Ireland come Sept 1st! Not through Erasmus but now wishing I was since it seems to have a much better social network than the program I'm on... absolutely lost as to what to expect!!
Sorry for the massively late replies, everyone..been pretty manic on my side! :h:

Original post by shorrocks
Um, not really, haven't really done much research into that or anything uni related, I really should, I've even got 2 guidebooks which I haven't even looked at, been to busy sorting out accomodation and stuff. Think I'll be in the North campus for maths, as thats where science's is I think, not sure about others.. what about you? and yeah I'm actually really looking forward to the culture modules weirdly enough, get to go on trips and everything don't we? and learn about vikings, excited ha. doesn't the language have like 9 vowels or something? crazy.

Yeah, as long is this one I've got now is real, should be no problem. First thing I'll be doing when I get there is meeting the guy to check everything. Just looked up yours and that isn't to bad in terms of location, could be a lot further out! someone getting shot days after you arrive also means it'll be.. eventfull to live there. Have you got a bike yet?

ah, that could be tough.. though I get the impression the uni's very flexible in terms of what international's take, so you could be able to take a fair few electives to make a bit easier on yourself, cos I'm guessing, like me, you've gone to Copenhagen to experiance a new city, not be locked in the library! and yeah staying for a years what its about, one semester is to short.

I'm guessing they wanted to do a year abroad europe, and can't speak another language either, so Copenhagen would have been a top choice. You met any other english people?

ah thats assuring, not really a cider drink anyway.. not really a tequila shotter either but for 10 krone I'd do it all night long ha. Everyone always goes on about how expensive it is, but I was always hopeing there'd be the cheaper student places, also good to hear the lectures are laid back there as well!

I just looked back in the thread and it looks as though you were due to arrive today...well? What do you make of it all so far? Let me know if you need help with anything.

I've met a few other Brits, but I'm not really close/friends with any of them apart from a guy from my uni. Not intentionally, there's just loads of people and I'm meeting so many that I can't even remember their names! The American guys keep going on about the other Brits and I have no idea who they are :P

I haven't got a bike just yet, no. I bought a transport pass, for zones 1 + 2, so I can get a feel for the city first. Also pretty scared about getting run over :p: Think I'm going to look for one next week though, because my student loan comes through on monday.

Original post by oxymoronic
I'd say try to befriend actual Danish people, as this was something I really struggled with in Finland because we were in this incredibly international situation whereby the university placed all of the exchange students in a few accommodation blocks as the Finns apparently complain that there's too much partying. Which there is, but due to this and the fact that in my classes at uni there was a major divide between the ERASMUS crew and the home students, I didn't really get to know any local people at all. I know people from all over the world from my year abroad but quite literally I have no friends who are actually Finnish.

Its so easy to get caught up in the exchange bubble and whilst I don't regret any of my year abroad at all, I do sort of wish I'd got to know more local people but at the same time I have no idea how because I didn't really ever meet anyone who wasn't international!

Also, I'd say make the most of the social life. My year abroad was the first and only time in my life where my social life took complete priority over my academic work. The uni work I had to do was less challenging than I did in Scotland and because I was a native English speaker who went to a prestigious UK university, everyone just assumed I knew what I was talking about and gave me the highest grades in presentations on the basis of this fact.... which was a bit odd! Where I was uni finished in late March but we were living there until June, so the last few months were literally just going out, drinking and general fun... which was amazing. I really struggled when I came back home and spent the entire year working so much harder than everyone else to get my degree, but in the end I came out with a 2:i which I would have done without the year abroad, so I don't regret any of it.... but I would have done if I ended up with a 2:ii instead as it would have been a direct consequence of going away. But yeah, just enjoy it all :biggrin:

Also make sure you get to other places in Scandinavia.... the ESN network had really cheap ferry trips to Stockholm, the Baltic countries and Russia from Finland which were all wicked :biggrin:

Yeah, I want to try and befriend some Danes, definitely. It's quite hard though...so far I have my mentor, and a guy I befriended through blogging about my preparation! I haven't talked to any of the Danes that live in my kollegiet yet, because they seem very reserved (and I'm a bit scared, if I'm honest).

I'm kind of hoping the fact I'm a native speaker will stand me in good stead...kind of apprehensive about the academic side of things, so it will be good to get settled into all that.

Ahh, the ESN network...definitely want to do some of their trips :biggrin: Heard that there should be an overnight cruise to Sweden, which sounds amazing!

Original post by Melz0r
Hey guys, leaving for an ERASMUS year in France on 1st Sep - nice to meet you all (my year abroad seems extremely tame and close to home compared to y'all!)

Nah, not really..moving abroad is a big change, not matter where you are! Not long off now - how are you feeling about it?

Original post by rocker
Hi,

I'm studying Modern Languages (French and Spanish) and in two weeks' time, I'll be going on my Year Abroad. I am going to Lyon for the first term and Valencia for the second term.

I'm starting to get pretty nervous. I can be quite shy and it takes a while for me to trust people and open up, I think the thing that worries me the most is making new friends and just being in a different country.

My grandad passed away in January and I've been having a difficult time dealing with the grief. He was 91 years' old and at the end, he was just really ill all the time and had started getting dementia. I was really close to him and it was upsetting for all my family to see him so ill. Although I am feeling better, I do have good and bad days and I miss him everyday. For me, I still find it really strange being at home. I'm just used to his presence, it feels weird without him around.

I worry sometimes about how I am going to cope with the grief while I am away from home. I really want to make the most of this experience abroad, but I'm just really nervous right now! I'm quite a pessimistic person anyway and I always prepare myself to think the worst, but I just want to be positive now.

Any advice / tips from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Hey!

I'm so sorry for your loss :console:

Hmm, I'd perhaps try not to overthink it - the last thing you want to do is get yourself in a state because you're expecting it to go wrong. Maybe a little distance from the home situation would actually do you some good? Its natural to feel a little homesick, but you can use Skype and Facebook etc to keep in touch with friends and family back home.

As for making friends...well, I'm finding that it's never been easier to make friends before! Everyone is in the same situation as you and, on the whole, you should find the other people doing Erasmus are lovely. Have you enquired as to whether there are any other students going to the same destination as you from your home university? Also, try the Erasmusu and Facebook groups to try finding some people to chat to; it might put your mind at rest if you know you at least have a couple of contacts.

Original post by CPH<3
Hahahaha, oh yes, Somersby is delicious and definitely what all the local women drink if they can afford it! I see you've found the lovely cheap tequila shots :biggrin: I hope you're enjoying Copenhagen.

Heehee, is the LA bar a favourite with locals too, or just internationals? I haven't really come into contact with any Danes yet, and I'd like to - any tips?
Also, how are you feeling about your imminent departure? :biggrin:
I discovered Fields today, by the way! Good job I don't live in Signalhuset or I would literally have already spent every penny (or øre, if I'm being local about it :wink:)

Original post by lc89
I'll be studying abroad in Northern Ireland come Sept 1st! Not through Erasmus but now wishing I was since it seems to have a much better social network than the program I'm on... absolutely lost as to what to expect!!

Ah, that sounds cool! Are you excited yet? What exchange program are you on?
Reply 83
Original post by rocker
Hi,

I'm studying Modern Languages (French and Spanish) and in two weeks' time, I'll be going on my Year Abroad. I am going to Lyon for the first term and Valencia for the second term.

I'm starting to get pretty nervous. I can be quite shy and it takes a while for me to trust people and open up, I think the thing that worries me the most is making new friends and just being in a different country.

My grandad passed away in January and I've been having a difficult time dealing with the grief. He was 91 years' old and at the end, he was just really ill all the time and had started getting dementia. I was really close to him and it was upsetting for all my family to see him so ill. Although I am feeling better, I do have good and bad days and I miss him everyday. For me, I still find it really strange being at home. I'm just used to his presence, it feels weird without him around.

I worry sometimes about how I am going to cope with the grief while I am away from home. I really want to make the most of this experience abroad, but I'm just really nervous right now! I'm quite a pessimistic person anyway and I always prepare myself to think the worst, but I just want to be positive now.

You're going to Lyon? I'm going to Lyon! :biggrin:

PM me if you want to swap details and stuff :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by >Anna<

Ah, that sounds cool! Are you excited yet? What exchange program are you on?

I'm on an ISEP exchange program... getting super excited! Leaving in 12 days!! The program I'm on isn't the best on advice/preparations though... absolutely lost as to what to pack!
Original post by lc89
I'm on an ISEP exchange program... getting super excited! Leaving in 12 days!! The program I'm on isn't the best on advice/preparations though... absolutely lost as to what to pack!

Well, it depends on how much you can take with you, I guess! Personally I just bought clothes, shoes, some toiletries and electricals. I bought everything else here to save the hassle. Should be slightly easier for you to find things too, because I'm imagining the shops will be at least a bit more familiar (ie it took me 2 1/2 weeks to find a tea towel!).
Reply 86
Well I can only check in ONE 50lb bag and have one carry-on! I'm not really one to over-pack but since I'm going somewhere chilly/rainy so a have a lot of bulky items to cram in there. Shoes are also becoming quite the issue! I think I'm bringing only clothes and shoes... not bothering with electrics (besides my laptop) because I'll need an adapter for them anyway since I'm from the US. Not looking forward to buying the rest since the exchange rate is awful right now but don't feel like paying $70 to check in another bag. Oh well! Such is life haha :smile:
Original post by lc89
Well I can only check in ONE 50lb bag and have one carry-on! I'm not really one to over-pack but since I'm going somewhere chilly/rainy so a have a lot of bulky items to cram in there. Shoes are also becoming quite the issue! I think I'm bringing only clothes and shoes... not bothering with electrics (besides my laptop) because I'll need an adapter for them anyway since I'm from the US. Not looking forward to buying the rest since the exchange rate is awful right now but don't feel like paying $70 to check in another bag. Oh well! Such is life haha :smile:

Ohhh, didn't realise you're from the US! Yeah, I only bought one bag too and it was definitely tricky. My parents are actually going to send me my winter shoes, coat, hat, scarves etc in a parcel, because I just couldn't make everything fit. Ireland is not the back of beyond though and you will be able to buy everything I can imagine you'd need! You can get hairdryers etc inexpensively in supermarkets etc, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just try to take a good range of stuff as some people I've met out here only brought casual clothes and panicked when we had nights out etc.
Reply 88
Original post by >Anna<
Ohhh, didn't realise you're from the US! Yeah, I only bought one bag too and it was definitely tricky. My parents are actually going to send me my winter shoes, coat, hat, scarves etc in a parcel, because I just couldn't make everything fit. Ireland is not the back of beyond though and you will be able to buy everything I can imagine you'd need! You can get hairdryers etc inexpensively in supermarkets etc, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just try to take a good range of stuff as some people I've met out here only brought casual clothes and panicked when we had nights out etc.

Yeah, I think I may have to ship some of the bulkier winter stuff since that will be easier and more affordable than checking in another bag. I've definitely realized that people in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe) dress significantly nicer when going out or for different occassions. I'm embarrassed to say that it is not uncommon at my university to wear a hoodie and jeans to the bar! Or even sweatpants! I've always hated this aspect of our nightlife so I'm excited to bring more formal attire. Unfortunately this makes packing even more of a challange to bring such a wide variety of clothes! At least the weather is fairly consistent though so that makes it easier :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by >Anna<
I just looked back in the thread and it looks as though you were due to arrive today...well? What do you make of it all so far? Let me know if you need help with anything.

I've met a few other Brits, but I'm not really close/friends with any of them apart from a guy from my uni. Not intentionally, there's just loads of people and I'm meeting so many that I can't even remember their names! The American guys keep going on about the other Brits and I have no idea who they are :P

I haven't got a bike just yet, no. I bought a transport pass, for zones 1 + 2, so I can get a feel for the city first. Also pretty scared about getting run over :p: Think I'm going to look for one next week though, because my student loan comes through on monday.

It's all a bit overwhelming really.. its been so strange and surreal. Luckily I've been in contact with a friend from my uni who was on the language course, and have been able to meet up with her and get her help these past few days, otherwise I don't know what I would have done ha. Went to see they gay pride march today, that was pretty fun.

ah fair enough, I've just bought those 10 clip things for now, might try get a bike soon though... anything to save money!
Original post by lc89
Yeah, I think I may have to ship some of the bulkier winter stuff since that will be easier and more affordable than checking in another bag. I've definitely realized that people in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe) dress significantly nicer when going out or for different occassions. I'm embarrassed to say that it is not uncommon at my university to wear a hoodie and jeans to the bar! Or even sweatpants! I've always hated this aspect of our nightlife so I'm excited to bring more formal attire. Unfortunately this makes packing even more of a challange to bring such a wide variety of clothes! At least the weather is fairly consistent though so that makes it easier :smile:

Oh wow...really?! That sounds pretty cool, to be fair..I wish I could get away with going out like that :p:

The weather is fairly consistent in that there isn't normally extremes, but I'd recommend you bring layers as it can get cold and over the last couple of years we've had a few weeks of snow!

Original post by shorrocks
It's all a bit overwhelming really.. its been so strange and surreal. Luckily I've been in contact with a friend from my uni who was on the language course, and have been able to meet up with her and get her help these past few days, otherwise I don't know what I would have done ha. Went to see they gay pride march today, that was pretty fun.

ah fair enough, I've just bought those 10 clip things for now, might try get a bike soon though... anything to save money!

I know exactly what you mean! Have you noticed how people drink a lot here? Like, people will be walking along the street, take a can of beer out of their bag and crack it open!

Ah, I meant to go to the march but I was in a really bad mood this morning and didn't feel like going out, so I've just wasted the day away in my room and doing food shopping etc.

I take it your flat worked out etc?
Original post by lc89
I've definitely realized that people in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe) dress significantly nicer when going out or for different occassions. I'm embarrassed to say that it is not uncommon at my university to wear a hoodie and jeans to the bar! Or even sweatpants! I've always hated this aspect of our nightlife so I'm excited to bring more formal attire.

It depends on the situation I guess. We have a bar at our student accommodation and we frequently descend on it in sweatpants and hoodies..but yes for the most part we get rather dressed up for nights out (mostly the girls).
Reply 92
Original post by >Anna<

Nah, not really..moving abroad is a big change, not matter where you are! Not long off now - how are you feeling about it?

Hey, don't worry about taking a while to reply, it's lovely of you to get back to me :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to it! This thread's a really good idea, I'll be checking back to see how everyone's doing :smile:
Original post by rocker

I was on my year abroad in Moscow when my grandmother passed away, in February this year. I actually found out while at work which was quite difficult, but the best thing about a year abroad is that it's really easy to find things to distract you. Everything is so new and exciting and there are so many amazing people to meet that you'll find you have a lot less thinking time than you'd expect. Just make sure you get out there and make the most of everything - after all, it's what your grandad would want, and it will keep your mind occupied so that you don't get bogged down in grief. I think you'll also find that being away from the places you associate with him will make it a bit easier to deal with, and that when you come back things will be easier.

No matter what problems life throws at you, I firmly believe that a bit of time away and throwing yourself into something entirely different can do a world of good. I had a very difficult year in terms of things that were going on at home, but bizarrely enough it was one of the happiest of my life, because being abroad meant that I not only had to deal with the things that were going on by myself but I discovered that I could overcome problems and work through things on my own. It's not about getting over your grief, but about learning how to live with it and still be a happy person. The year abroad really is a perfect opportunity for that :smile:
Reply 94
Original post by >Anna<

LA bare is a favourite of anyone who likes tequila :P Personally I’m a big fan of their student Tuesdays where drinks cost 30DKK :smile:
Uhm, well, most Danes are a bit reserved, like we don’t talk to strangers... But if you talk to us we’ll actually be really happy ‘cause we do want new friends, so just go up and say hi, it usually works :P Or get us when we’re drunk, we’re very friendly and open then.
OH FIELDS!!! My mum works right next to it! So many shops! It’s like heaven!

Less than a month until I leave now! I am beyond excited and have started considering how in the world I’m ever going to be able to pack everything I need…
I have just got back from my year abroad to Monash University in Melbourne. BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE! I am super jealous of you all heading off this year! Exchange/Study abroad programs are just amazing!

Good luck everyone! :biggrin:
Original post by Melz0r
Hey, don't worry about taking a while to reply, it's lovely of you to get back to me :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to it! This thread's a really good idea, I'll be checking back to see how everyone's doing :smile:

Are you feeling prepared?

I spent so much time doing research into various things, so that I'd have less to work out once I got here, but I rapidly discovered that I had to be a lot more hands on to get to grips with everything!

Original post by CPH<3
LA bare is a favourite of anyone who likes tequila :P Personally I’m a big fan of their student Tuesdays where drinks cost 30DKK :smile:
Uhm, well, most Danes are a bit reserved, like we don’t talk to strangers... But if you talk to us we’ll actually be really happy ‘cause we do want new friends, so just go up and say hi, it usually works :P Or get us when we’re drunk, we’re very friendly and open then.
OH FIELDS!!! My mum works right next to it! So many shops! It’s like heaven!

Less than a month until I leave now! I am beyond excited and have started considering how in the world I’m ever going to be able to pack everything I need…

What drinks are 30DKK? I've been on Tuesday before and the tequila shots were 10DKK do I stuck to those all night haha.
Hmm, I'm definitely going to try befriending some Danes on my courses and try to go from there - I think I'd be quite sad at the end of the year if I left and I hadn't befriended a single Dane!

Yeeeah :sogood: I'd never been to a Bilka before - loved it! I plan to go back at some point soon - possibly tomorrow :p:
Ooh, I have a question: I have a month pass for zones 1 and 2. When I go to zone 3, I just get the supplement ticket from the ticket machine, right? I did that yesterday, but I wasn't 100% sure and I'm terrified of getting fined by the inspectors!

I'm revising Danish...why is your language so hard?! :emo:
Jeg hedder Anna. Jeg kommer fra en landsby i sydvestengland. Jeg kan tale engelsk og lidt tysk og dansk. Jeg er halvt armensk og halvt engelsk - min mor er englaender og min far er armensk, men han kommer fra Irak :awesome:
Reply 97
Original post by >Anna<

What drinks are 30DKK? I've been on Tuesday before and the tequila shots were 10DKK do I stuck to those all night haha.
Hmm, I'm definitely going to try befriending some Danes on my courses and try to go from there - I think I'd be quite sad at the end of the year if I left and I hadn't befriended a single Dane!

Yeeeah :sogood: I'd never been to a Bilka before - loved it! I plan to go back at some point soon - possibly tomorrow :p:
Ooh, I have a question: I have a month pass for zones 1 and 2. When I go to zone 3, I just get the supplement ticket from the ticket machine, right? I did that yesterday, but I wasn't 100% sure and I'm terrified of getting fined by the inspectors!

I'm revising Danish...why is your language so hard?! :emo:
Jeg hedder Anna. Jeg kommer fra en landsby i sydvestengland. Jeg kan tale engelsk og lidt tysk og dansk. Jeg er halvt armensk og halvt engelsk - min mor er englaender og min far er armensk, men han kommer fra Irak :awesome:

From what I remember it's just a shot and a mixer, so nothing too special, but it's still cheaper than so many other places :P

Yep, the supplement ticket is fine :smile: And the inspectors are horrible. Don't expect them to be nice about anything ever, so getting the right ticket is definitely a good idea.

Ooooh check you out! I'm impressed, and if you can pronounce it I'll be even more impressed :wink: Well done for such a short time.
Original post by CPH<3
From what I remember it's just a shot and a mixer, so nothing too special, but it's still cheaper than so many other places :P

Yep, the supplement ticket is fine :smile: And the inspectors are horrible. Don't expect them to be nice about anything ever, so getting the right ticket is definitely a good idea.

Ooooh check you out! I'm impressed, and if you can pronounce it I'll be even more impressed :wink: Well done for such a short time.

Hmm, I'll have to check it out next time I go; maybe next week, today I have to stay home and study dansk :nopity:

Thank you! I'm so bad at it though, and my exams are tomorrow and thursday...I feel like I need a small miracle to pass this! I have the written component tomorrow, and I'm worrying about grammar. Plus I keep getting mixed up between halvfjerds and halvfems :colonhash:

I have noticed the ticket inspectors are quite...stern? One of the international students on the language course couldn't find her ticket when the guy came round, and she was panicking so much, kept apologising etc and he just stood there practically growling at her!
Doing mine at Sciences Po in Aix en Provence, France. I leave in two weeks. To be honest I'm a bit terrified about it. Not from the language issues so much (though I'm not a language undergrad) but more whether I'll actually make any friends. I know the social life is quite a bit different in French unis and with my poor French the only method I can think of is to get drunk all the time, which isn't really financially feasible.

Quick Reply

Latest