The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zygroth
Hmm okay, testing the dropdown thing at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ccl/2012/test/
Any better? How easy it is to navigate? Ideally would have the dropdowns a bit thinner so you can move to the next one on the list easier... Might have to reword some links.

It's a bit easier but aesthetically the original one is nicer. And thinking about actual usage, if the images are going to be off-page then arguably there is little need for it to be that easy to move between the subjects, provided that it's easy enough to hit the subject you're looking for first time. However, if you're planning something more ambitious with it showing the images on the page itself, then changing between subjects might be more important.
Original post by Zoedotdot
-advice-

Original post by Leipzig
[COLOR="SeaGreen"This isn't meant to sound harsh, I just don't want to sugarcoat what it was like where I studied.

I appreciate any advice and any comments, seriously. I'm feeling a bit weird at the moment (I apologise for the whininess last night), but I think it's part of the whole YA emotional uppydowny thing. I feel like I've done loads already (3 weeks) but equally done nothing, and loads of my expectations for the year have already proven to be unfounded, and I have no idea what my goals are anymore. Maybe I'll find myself in Germany or something :tongue:

Zygroth, How will it work with multiple photos per class list? If it's a further list popping out or dropping down, that might be too much. Otherwise, I think both options look good. I'm learning towards the sideways rather than the dropdown, but I'm not sure.
I preferred it without the drop downs.
Original post by ukebert
I'm on the latest version of Chrome. All that it does, on further inspection is remove the scroll bar. The page can scroll ever so slightly until I hover over NatSci.

Aww that definitely sounds like a website problem then :frown: Does the site work if you zoom out? Might have to make everything smaller for smaller screens...

Original post by alex_hk90
It's a bit easier but aesthetically the original one is nicer. And thinking about actual usage, if the images are going to be off-page then arguably there is little need for it to be that easy to move between the subjects, provided that it's easy enough to hit the subject you're looking for first time. However, if you're planning something more ambitious with it showing the images on the page itself, then changing between subjects might be more important.

I was thinking it would be really cool if they popped up in a box or something on the same page rather than moving to another page, but I'm not sure how much coding would be involved for that...

Original post by Canned Door
Zygroth, How will it work with multiple photos per class list? If it's a further list popping out or dropping down, that might be too much. Otherwise, I think both options look good. I'm learning towards the sideways rather than the dropdown, but I'm not sure.

I was thinking of just sticking the 4 separate images end to end and just link to the bigger image - I think most people would view all of the pages anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference...
Original post by Zygroth

Original post by Zygroth
Hmm okay, testing the dropdown thing at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ccl/2012/test/
Any better? How easy it is to navigate? Ideally would have the dropdowns a bit thinner so you can move to the next one on the list easier... Might have to reword some links.

I think the lighter colour in the colleges list is a bit too pale as a background for white text (a minor niggle, but you're looking for feedback).

Also how are you going to indicate which class lists have been uploaded? An activity log is very useful too ("Oh they're uploading a few every day, it should be here soon" vs "The last load went up a week ago, no-one's still doing this"). And I'm assuming you can just change the link for the subjects that provide pdf versions, but are you going to provide duplicates? Also bear in mind that most of the lists last year came as multiple images.
Reply 2145
Original post by Craghyrax
I've had my boyfriend (college husband) down as married to me on facebook since second year. My parents were a bit WTF when distant relatives started congratulating them :erm:

I blame facebook. I tried to edit the privacy settings so that only the Cambridge group of friends could see, but it seemed to work only until facebook reinvented itself next, which seems to be a bimonthly occurence :rolleyes:

Oh dear, that must have been awkward!
Which came first, were you two college-married and then became a real couple or were you a couple and decided to become college parents? Either way, that's so cute :biggrin:

But I dont think my mum would be too glad if I listed someone as my parent on facebook xD She would probably be in tears :P
Reply 2146
I appreciate any advice and any comments, seriously. I'm feeling a bit weird at the moment (I apologise for the whininess last night), but I think it's part of the whole YA emotional uppydowny thing. I feel like I've done loads already (3 weeks) but equally done nothing, and loads of my expectations for the year have already proven to be unfounded, and I have no idea what my goals are anymore. Maybe I'll find myself in Germany or something :tongue:

Ah, only 3 weeks? Don't worry about a thing then - the only people I'd managed to meet in my first 3 weeks were an assorted collection of Dutch speakers :tongue: Wait 'til your classes start up and it'll sort itself out...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The West Wing
It's probably wise. I'm pretty much the youngest person on the course, most people are 24-25, having done years out through a combination of gap years, masters, phd, GDL, 2-year LLB, 4-year degrees, forced deferral by law firms.

I think she partly didn't want to dive right into the LPC/work, so it was a pretty attractive option.

As someone in the 4-year degree, 2 year BA bracket it's nice to hear there's students about my age on the course.
Original post by Zygroth
I was thinking it would be really cool if they popped up in a box or something on the same page rather than moving to another page, but I'm not sure how much coding would be involved for that...

There is probably already code available for pop-up image viewing things. If you did use a pop-up viewer thing, you could then have left and right buttons (or something like that) in the pop-up for navigating between the multiple parts of a list.
Original post by Blaah Blaah
I think the lighter colour in the colleges list is a bit too pale as a background for white text (a minor niggle, but you're looking for feedback).

Also how are you going to indicate which class lists have been uploaded? An activity log is very useful too ("Oh they're uploading a few every day, it should be here soon" vs "The last load went up a week ago, no-one's still doing this"). And I'm assuming you can just change the link for the subjects that provide pdf versions, but are you going to provide duplicates? Also bear in mind that most of the lists last year came as multiple images.

Fair enough, background changed :smile: But yeah, the main bit is to improve the design/layout of the page.

Was too lazy to add the disclaimer and change log but while I'm actually doing stuff... That's actually a good point re: uploaded or not; could do it with the background or font colour (greens and reds) or with font type (bold/italic or something) I think. Stuck some bold font on the site, looks reasonable I guess.

With duplicates, I didn't understand their point - if one worked, there shouldn't be a need for another *but* it wouldn't be too hard to stick another link onto the pop up menu if they are needed.

Also added in tooltips on hover to give source names on the bold items.

Original post by alex_hk90
There is probably already code available for pop-up image viewing things. If you did use a pop-up viewer thing, you could then have left and right buttons (or something like that) in the pop-up for navigating between the multiple parts of a list.

That would actually be awesome :biggrin: Definitely need to look into this.
Reply 2150
I think The Telegraph is generally ok as a vaguely serious newspaper that isn't as boring as The Independent or as up itself as The Guardian, but this is just awful.
Original post by jjarvis
I think she partly didn't want to dive right into the LPC/work, so it was a pretty attractive option.

As someone in the 4-year degree, 2 year BA bracket it's nice to hear there's students about my age on the course.

I think a lot of people are around 24/25 - the trainee who showed me around Slaughters said the average age of a trainee there was about 25.
Reply 2152
Original post by Craghyrax
I've had my boyfriend (college husband) down as married to me on facebook since second year. My parents were a bit WTF when distant relatives started congratulating them :erm:

I blame facebook. I tried to edit the privacy settings so that only the Cambridge group of friends could see, but it seemed to work only until facebook reinvented itself next, which seems to be a bimonthly occurence :rolleyes:

Exactly the same thing happened to me, causing a slightly awkward situation with my father, whom I had not intended to be able to see my rel. status.

Hermes'd. :smile:

I'm sure it'll German itself out a bit in the end, and I'm really happy to be speaking Spanish (one of my seminars will be held in Sp too :s), because it means I'm avoiding the common language being English, which it generally would be otherwise. The German friend I have speaks far better English than I do German, having barely spent any time in English-speaking countries or having even studied English beyond school. Inspirational, I guess ;( /unnecessarywhingepost

I'm already very alarmed by the dominance of English on the Erasmus Lyon FB group (although I suppose this is only to be expected). Still, at least it's pretty ropey English, which allows me to feel smug. I've just been invited to an event where "Downstairs we will have party ! And upstairs, we can discuss and help you, like we do during internationnal student welcome days !"
Reply 2153
Original post by Melz0r
Exactly the same thing happened to me, causing a slightly awkward situation with my father, whom I had not intended to be able to see my rel. status.

My (slightly creepy) cousin saw I was married on facebook and then decided to add my wife for some unknown reason.
I like the new site Zygroth!
Original post by kpatb
Oh dear, that must have been awkward!
Which came first, were you two college-married and then became a real couple or were you a couple and decided to become college parents? Either way, that's so cute :biggrin:

But I dont think my mum would be too glad if I listed someone as my parent on facebook xD She would probably be in tears :P

We got together after we were college married and sort of conveniently left the facebook status in place instead of introducing 'in a relationship'. My Mum did ask, but luckily she knew that I wouldn't do something like that to her.

However I timed it badly in terms of the wider family, because it was about the same time that my Mother's twin sister's daughter, who had moved to America at 18 (so basically my parallel cousin) made a flash decision to marry her boyfriend in order to enable him to stay in the US rather than be sent back to SA. However her method of communicating her marriage to the family was by taking photos of their las vegas style impromptu wedding with 5 people or whatever. The photos involved all the guests holding up sheets with the names of family members and friends written on them, wearing big smiles. She tagged everyone on this picture and added the caption 'See? You were all here too!' :toofunny:

Why not just sit back and enjoy the ride? At the very least you will have gained maturity, life experience and a wider perspective just by getting through the year. That is something that will have a positive impact on your character and attitude to life in the future.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2155
My dad is a freelance translator and apparently the latest thing he completed was THIS: http://www.supergaygames.com/?lang=en

Just thought I'd share!

OK, and also, how do I do the magic thing that lets me get iPlayer from abroad? New series of Outnumbered starts the day after I leave! (and the JOURNAL ACCESS, yes, the JOURNAL ACCESS)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Melz0r
My dad is a freelance translator and apparently the latest thing he completed was THIS: http://www.supergaygames.com/?lang=en

Just thought I'd share!

:lolwut:

Original post by Melz0r
OK, and also, how do I do the magic thing that lets me get iPlayer from abroad? New series of Outnumbered starts the day after I leave! (and the JOURNAL ACCESS, yes, the JOURNAL ACCESS)

You'll need a UK proxy or VPN (in simple terms, you need to convince the BBC servers that you're in the UK). There are some free ones you could look at, but they tend to be slow. I'm using a paid one (HMA! Pro VPN) and the UK servers I've tried can just about stream iPlayer (or download it at real-time, so a 60 minute show takes 60 minutes to download).
Reply 2157
You can get on the Cambridge VPN for free:

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/vpdn/
Reply 2158
Original post by around
You can get on the Cambridge VPN for free:

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/vpdn/

*looks at list of instructions in bafflement* Okay, that should be doable, thanks.

Should I do this now or once I get abroad or doesn't it matter?
Reply 2159
Well, you need a password that gets delivered to your pigeonhole at uni...

maybe get your friends to check your mail for you?

Latest

Trending

Trending