The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gethsemane342
It's for a research project, investigating the correlation between UMS Marks and Tripos scores. That's all - your A2 UMS won't affect your getting in.

So they won't be used to arrange supervisions, or anything like that?
Original post by TimmonaPortella
So they won't be used to arrange supervisions, or anything like that?

Nope. Your DoS arranges supervisions for all of their students based purely on the fact that you're there and in front of them :tongue: In first year, you'll (for law) probably be with everyone from your college.

I'm surprised most colleges haven't said why they need the data. Just found my Cambridge acceptance letter from 2 years ago and it explains the project halfway down...
Nope. Your DoS arranges supervisions for all of their students based purely on the fact that you're there and in front of them :tongue: In first year, you'll (for law) probably be with everyone from your college.

I'm surprised most colleges haven't said why they need the data. Just found my Cambridge acceptance letter from 2 years ago and it explains the project halfway down...

ok cool, thanks :smile:
Hi all,

I'm starting at Clare in October and I was just wondering if anyone knows when I should expect to hear back about accommodation? I received a form I had to fill out with accomodation preferences in spring but haven't heard anything since. I kinda expected I would only hear back from them after results day (even though I had an unconditional offer) but still no word.

Does anyone else already know what their accommodation is esp. Clare freshers?

Cheers
Reply 2824
Original post by James_Archer
Hi all,

I'm starting at Clare in October and I was just wondering if anyone knows when I should expect to hear back about accommodation? I received a form I had to fill out with accomodation preferences in spring but haven't heard anything since. I kinda expected I would only hear back from them after results day (even though I had an unconditional offer) but still no word.

Does anyone else already know what their accommodation is esp. Clare freshers?

Cheers

Christ's sent us our accomodation forms in late June and they said they won't be replying to us about accomodation until after results day (because then they would know exactly how many students met their offers)
Also, I wouldn't worry about it - I don't think anyone here has been allocated rooms yet.

I've talked to several people from many colleges and none of them have heard, so don't stress.
You may only hear in early September :smile:
Thanks mate, you've taken a weight of my mind.
Just got back from europe to find my Pembroke letter on the doormat :smile:

pretty excited!

I noticed a couple of earlier posts were from people who were already there, what do you guys think of the college?
Reply 2827
Has anyone got an invitation to a Matriculation Dinner?
and what is this?
Original post by Amy Luo
Has anyone got an invitation to a Matriculation Dinner?
and what is this?

It's an awesome free formal hall given to you by the college - generally the day you matriculate, but sometimes later. My college aunt said this to me and it's true - it's impossible not to make friends when you're surrounded by brilliant people and filled with free food and drink. I sat next to my DoS and got very, very drunk. I don't really remember much about it, but it was fantastic. I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2829
Original post by charlottesometimes
It's an awesome free formal hall given to you by the college - generally the day you matriculate, but sometimes later. My college aunt said this to me and it's true - it's impossible not to make friends when you're surrounded by brilliant people and filled with free food and drink. I sat next to my DoS and got very, very drunk. I don't really remember much about it, but it was fantastic. I think.

What about if i'm a gap year student? I will only start in Oct 2012. Will they invite me to the dinner in 2012 or this year? (if its this year how can i stay there overnight?)
Original post by Amy Luo
What about if i'm a gap year student? I will only start in Oct 2012. Will they invite me to the dinner in 2012 or this year? (if its this year how can i stay there overnight?)

Next year. Matriculation dinner is for when you matriculate and you matriculate by signing the college book (or at least you do in Christ's). It essentially just means joining the college. You won't be there till Oct 2012 so you can't matriculate till then :smile:
Reply 2831
Next year. Matriculation dinner is for when you matriculate and you matriculate by signing the college book (or at least you do in Christ's). It essentially just means joining the college. You won't be there till Oct 2012 so you can't matriculate till then :smile:

Is it very formal? Like most of the ppl said there will be a lot of formal parties in cambridge. Is this one of them? What are the others?
Original post by Amy Luo
Is it very formal? Like most of the ppl said there will be a lot of formal parties in cambridge. Is this one of them? What are the others?

Sort of. You'll have to wear whatever you wore for Matriculation if i remember right. For girls, that's generally white blouse and black skirt. It is one of the formal parties. But it won't really be Black Tie.

Others include:
Halfway Hall (midway through second year to mark you're halfway through)
Grad Dinner
Subject and Society Dinners (not generally subject to gowns though)
has anyone got an email/letter telling you how to register for college email/apply for accomodation yet?
Original post by HaouLelouch
has anyone got an email/letter telling you how to register for college email/apply for accomodation yet?

I think it depends on your college. Emmanuel had the forms sorted out ages ago, and we'll find out our accommodation in september, and emails on the first day.
Reply 2835
Sort of. You'll have to wear whatever you wore for Matriculation if i remember right. For girls, that's generally white blouse and black skirt. It is one of the formal parties. But it won't really be Black Tie.

Others include:
Halfway Hall (midway through second year to mark you're halfway through)
Grad Dinner
Subject and Society Dinners (not generally subject to gowns though)

Oh, i thought it's proper dress for the girls. Do you have any photos for any of these parties?
Reply 2836
Original post by kpatb
Don't worry, I haven't met any NatScis that are at Christ's either (and there's 28 of us too!)
I guess the chances of being on the same course and college are quite low, especially if you're on a course with a small number of people.

If you go on to the FB groups, you're more likely to find someone who does your course at your college though :smile:
(saying that, I think I've only find 2 other people doing NatSci at Christ's so far and like I said there are a huge 28 of us!)

Are you doing physical or biological natsci at Christ's?
Reply 2837
Original post by wickedislove
Track updated, makes me grin every time I see it :smile:
There's hardly anyone on here for Trinity Hall!
I got an A*AA offer for MML (French and German) for Tit Hall - anyone else for that college/course?

I'm going to study at Tit Hall, too :smile:
has anyone here from St Johns received anything close to a 'fresher's pack' yet? I got a few emails giving me some example sheets/notes from last year (Im doing maths) and about 6 forms to fill in on camtools but I havent been asked anything about accomodation. has anyone (going to St Johns) got anything for accomodation or am I just missing something?
Reply 2839
Original post by Mikune
I'm going to study at Tit Hall, too :smile:

Me too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending