The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economyst
I have been in government economics departments.

What did you do there?
Original post by Charlesworth
Just wondering if anyone has or knows anyone who has managed to get any economics related work experience? I have tried to think of work experience that could relate to economics, but I can't think of any...

I'm at a local economics consultancy this week.
Just wondering if anyone has or knows anyone who has managed to get any economics related work experience? I have tried to think of work experience that could relate to economics, but I can't think of any...

Tbh economic-related work experience isnt that important cos unis understand the difficulty of merely obtaining a placement- you're there to study economics purely because you're interested in the discipline rather than just as a means to an end. Its better just to focus on producing an exceptional PS but trying to look for work exp wont do any harm :smile:
Reply 1803

Admissions tutors will know it is hard to find, yes it's impressive but there are plenty of other things you could talk about
Whats recommended Straight Economics or Economics with Finance/Accountancy?
What did you do there?

I was asked to asses the effects of a certain policy. That's all the detail I am giving, any more and an admissions tutor will know exactly who I am when they read my PS.
Reply 1806
I was asked to asses the effects of a certain policy. That's all the detail I am giving, any more and an admissions tutor will know exactly who I am when they read my PS.

Did you post your PS on the forum for review when you applied first time round?
Reply 1807
Original post by dsinghdahiya257

The latter would be less competitive
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1808
Original post by dsinghdahiya257

Depends where you'd want to go in the future. If you wanted to go into strictly finance and accountancy, I would advise Economics with Finance/Accountancy. Straight Economics (I think) has a wider range of optional subjects you can study within Economics than Economics with Finance/Accountancy where optional choices may be fixed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1809
Original post by Hemzo
Depends where you'd want to go in the future. If you wanted to go into strictly finance and accountancy, I would advise Economics with Finance/Accountancy. Straight Economics (I think) has a wider range of optional subjects you can study within Economics than Economics with Finance/Accountancy where optional choices may be fixed.

How's your PS coming along? :smile:
Original post by Groat
Did you post your PS on the forum for review when you applied first time round?

No, But I have now and I got tons of help from someone. I won't mention who he is in case he gets flooded with requests and then refuses to review my second draft.
But I quote him :

"You have some of the most relevant and impressive extra-curriculars I've seen in an economics statement - make the most of them by discussing specific points of interest"

So hopefully my PS shouldn't be a basis of rejection.

Can any one think why York would reject me. My profile is on the other post on this forum entitled 4A*'s.
If York reject me, would you say that something fishy was going on ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Tat, how did you follow me on the New college post in current affairs ?
Are you stalking my posts ?
Can any one think why York would reject me. My profile is on the other post on this forum entitled 4A*'s.
If York reject me, would you say that something fishy was going on ?

I don't know about York specifically, but it is rumoured that some universities reject candidates who are clearly applying to Oxbridge (their application is submitted before the early deadline, and they have exceptionally high grades). I have certainly seen instances of people who have got all their other offers (including Oxbridge) but then had a very strange rejection that could not otherwise be explained.
Hmm, so should I apply to Cambridge and one other like LSE, wait for the Cam dead line to pass and then add the rest of my choices ?
Does anyone know whether that is even possible ?
Hmm, so should I apply to Cambridge and one other like LSE, wait for the Cam dead line to pass and then add the rest of my choices ?
Does anyone know whether that is even possible ?

To be honest if you have a good enough application to get rejected by a uni because they fear you won't accept their offer, then I don't think you need to worry about it that much.
Original post by alex_hk90
To be honest if you have a good enough application to get rejected by a uni because they fear you won't accept their offer, then I don't think you need to worry about it that much.

I'd agree with this, I suggest there might be a wee bit of overthinking going on in this thread at present.

Also belated congratulations to you all on your results :awesome: You should all feel very :smug:
Reply 1816
Original post by gradjobplease
I'd agree with this, I suggest there might be a wee bit of overthinking going on in this thread at present.

Also belated congratulations to you all on your results :awesome: You should all feel very :smug:

Thanks! Did you do the sandwich course at Bath? :u:
Reply 1817
Tat, how did you follow me on the New college post in current affairs ?
Are you stalking my posts ?

No, believe it or not I do read threads outside of the economics forum
:lies:

...I'm joking, is UCLs economics course very maths related, or more essay?
Original post by alex_hk90

My main concern is whether I will get 5 rejections again or not. Looking at my grades I know I sound silly saying that, but my GCSE's are very poor and I have also applied to Warwick, Cambridge and LSE before and got rejected.

Bath is a competitive place and even with my grades I don't think I am guaranteed an offer there.

York, to me, seems like a place where I should be guaranteed an offer. But if they reject me because they think I will reject them, then I am left with 4 risky ones again.

Does any one think this is a good idea to avoid 5 rejections:
Apply Cam and LSE
Wait for Cam dead line to pass
Apply York and Bath
If Cam and/or LSE accept, then accept them giving preference to Cam.
If Cam and LSE reject me but bath accepts me, then apply to Warwick for econ, as if I don't get into Warwick I will have bath as back up.
If Cam, LSE and Bath reject me, Then apply for maths and econ at Warwick, because I think I am (almost) guaranteed their A*A*A (M,FM) STEP:2 offer.
And I am assuming York will accept me.

Latest

Trending

Trending