The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jampolo
Moi!

I never enjoyed maths until year 11, and that was for the wrong reasons anyway. But a certain teacher managed to get me an A* (he was a god) so i decided to take up maths at college and i love it!

I got an A and my teacher got really angry with me for not getting an A*. :tongue:

I have an amazing A-level teacher - I only did Maths to begin with but then I began to really enjoy his lessons. Nicked one of my friend's FP1 books because he was moaning about how hard complex numbers were, and I liked the look of it. Forgot about it until after Christmas, when I asked my teacher if I could look at the book. I couldn't go to the lessons because they clashed with Chemistry. I started staying after school and teaching myself FP1, and at Parent's Evening, he confirmed my exam place and told me not to worry if I didn't pass. I ended up borrowing the M1 and S2 books as well, and took all 3 FM AS exams in June. Got an A. He looked confused, and then realised he hadn't cashed it in. :tongue:

Now I've dropped Chemistry I can go to F Maths lessons. Best. Lessons. Ever. :sexface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 921
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I got an A and my teacher got really angry with me for not getting an A*. :tongue:

I have an amazing A-level teacher - I only did Maths to begin with but then I began to really enjoy his lessons. Nicked one of my friend's FP1 books because he was moaning about how hard complex numbers were, and I liked the look of it. Forgot about it until after Christmas, when I asked my teacher if I could look at the book. I couldn't go to the lessons because they clashed with Chemistry. I started staying after school and teaching myself FP1, and at Parent's Evening, he confirmed my exam place and told me not to worry if I didn't pass. I ended up borrowing the M1 and S2 books as well, and took all 3 FM AS exams in June. Got an A. He looked confused, and then realised he hadn't cashed it in. :tongue:

Now I've dropped Chemistry I can go to F Maths lessons. Best. Lessons. Ever. :sexface:

Using a sexface to descibe Maths lessons? I Love It.

:sexface:

For A Level, i had two teachers, one amazingly good, one not. This is sort of reflected in my results :tongue: I did bad in all my applied modules except M1, but really good in core and pure modules. Next year i get totally new teachers though. Kudos to self teaching FP1 M1 and S2. Learning FP1 seemed hard enough at the time. Proof by induction was like learning a foreign language, managed to get the hang of it but choked in the exam :tongue:

But now im continuing maths, further maths and economics to A2. Dropping physics :tongue: and this should allow me to get A*A*A, i doubt i'll get an A* in further maths, unless i do amazing in S2 M2 and FP2!
Reply 922
Original post by ben-smith
your turn to ask me a question:biggrin:

Here you go :smile::

Find the value of 1002100!+n=1100n23n+1Sn\frac{100^{2}}{100!}+ \sum_{n=1}^{100}|n^{2}-3n+1|S_{n}, where SnS_{n} is a G.P. with first term n1n!\frac{n-1}{n!} and common ratio 1n\frac{1}{n}

The question is quite fiddly/long, not anything neat as your one, but its the closest to a suitable series Q I could find. "Should" be quite straightforward (especially for you!).

(I am terrible with Latex, so there could be an error btw...)
I think the key is that you understand and are comfortable with the maths in those modules rather than being able to reel off loads of formulae so that you are able to apply the concepts to unfamiliar situations. For example, how would you go about finding:
i=1niri\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^nir^i?
There are two ways which use C2 knowledge. As it goes, I have used this alot in STEP probability questions.

On a separate note:
Do people know the difference a BA and a Bsc. Leicester offers both http://www.le.ac.uk/ugprospectus/courses/mathematics/mathematics.html:s-smilie:
Also, spending a year in the USA is looking tempting.

I think you misunderstood. I'm from Scotland, and don't do A-levels. I know that there are things in the English syllabus that aren't in the Scottish (your circles theorems at GCSE don't exist in Scotland, for example) and I was trying to find a way to learn these topics. :smile:

Original post by dnumberwang
Anyone else applying for Oxbridge but not Warwick, or are anyone_can_fly and I the only ones?
:yy: Still not completely sure about it though, I mean it's an extra year of fees :dontknow:

Well, at Bristol and Imperial you get a Masters at the end, so it's the same amount of fees as you'd pay for any other Masters (and I'd probably do four years anyway).
Oh, one of my friends is planning to apply to Worcester for Maths and Stats! But she's way too cool for TSR :cool:
Original post by Jampolo
Using a sexface to descibe Maths lessons? I Love It.

:sexface:

For A Level, i had two teachers, one amazingly good, one not. This is sort of reflected in my results :tongue: I did bad in all my applied modules except M1, but really good in core and pure modules. Next year i get totally new teachers though. Kudos to self teaching FP1 M1 and S2. Learning FP1 seemed hard enough at the time. Proof by induction was like learning a foreign language, managed to get the hang of it but choked in the exam :tongue:

But now im continuing maths, further maths and economics to A2. Dropping physics :tongue: and this should allow me to get A*A*A, i doubt i'll get an A* in further maths, unless i do amazing in S2 M2 and FP2!

Using a sexface to describe being a maths applicant in a sig? Done. :sexface:

I have 3 - my head of maths taught me C1, C2 and would have taught me FP1 and S2 if I had the lessons. He's also teaching us D1 (taught a tiny bit of C3 but is swapping) and C4 later for Maths, and D2 and FP2 later for F Maths. My other Maths teacher was really nice but hates stats. She taught us C1 and S1. My other Further Maths teacher's ok but she teaches mechanics which I don't really like :tongue:

I love FP1. <3 Head of maths looked astonished when he saw I'd got 100 UMS on it :laugh: I fluffed up my S2 though - I cocked up the critical region calculation in a Type II error question, meaning that I lost most of the 8 marks on that one. And then there were writing questions which are ugh - I hate writing answers :tongue: Hopefully pure will help with the A* attempt.

I'm continuing maths, further maths and physics to A2, dropping chemistry. Hopefully the uni I go to has some sort of a physics society I can leech on to - I do like physics but I can't do both and I love maths too much to ditch it for physics :tongue:
Original post by twig
Here you go :smile::

Find the value of 1002100!+n=1100n23n+1Sn\frac{100^{2}}{100!}+ \sum_{n=1}^{100}|n^{2}-3n+1|S_{n}, where SnS_{n} is a G.P. with first term n1n!\frac{n-1}{n!} and common ratio 1n\frac{1}{n}

The question is quite fiddly/long, not anything neat as your one, but its the closest to a suitable series Q I could find. "Should" be quite straightforward (especially for you!).

(I am terrible with Latex, so there could be an error btw...)

just to be clear, S_n is the sum of a G.P.? how many terms?
Reply 926
just to be clear, S_n is the sum of a G.P.? how many terms?

Yes sum of a G.P. with infinite terms. Sorry.
Reply 927
Using a sexface to describe being a maths applicant in a sig? Done. :sexface:

I have 3 - my head of maths taught me C1, C2 and would have taught me FP1 and S2 if I had the lessons. He's also teaching us D1 (taught a tiny bit of C3 but is swapping) and C4 later for Maths, and D2 and FP2 later for F Maths. My other Maths teacher was really nice but hates stats. She taught us C1 and S1. My other Further Maths teacher's ok but she teaches mechanics which I don't really like :tongue:

I love FP1. <3 Head of maths looked astonished when he saw I'd got 100 UMS on it :laugh: I fluffed up my S2 though - I cocked up the critical region calculation in a Type II error question, meaning that I lost most of the 8 marks on that one. And then there were writing questions which are ugh - I hate writing answers :tongue: Hopefully pure will help with the A* attempt.

I'm continuing maths, further maths and physics to A2, dropping chemistry. Hopefully the uni I go to has some sort of a physics society I can leech on to - I do like physics but I can't do both and I love maths too much to ditch it for physics :tongue:

Wow im so doing that, mathsmathsmaths:sexface:mathsmaths

Haven't done S2 yet, but im counting on it being a 90+ module to go towards my A* in further maths, i hope. I've started self teaching C3 and C4 already, i hope to take them both in January so i can get A Level maths out of the way, and just concentrate on further. 100 UMS on FP1 is impressive. I forgot how to do summing series when the n is replaced by 2n :facepalm: and also didn't cancel out a fraction on my proof by induction :facepalm: so im astonished on how i managed to still get an A ha!

I like physics, it interests me, but A level physics doesn't. I found the syllabus boring and i was drifting off in lessons, not really revising for it and thats why i got a B. Although i do like mechanics, one of my favourite modules. Im looking forward to next year, got really good teachers, and are being taught STEP by the best maths teacher the college has ever seen ! :tongue:

What universities are you looking to apply to?

EDIT: Done :sexface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by twig
Yes sum of a G.P. with infinite terms. Sorry.

it's getting messy...
Reply 929
it's getting messy...

Which part of the summation is getting messy? Sn converges for n>1, so you could deal with that separately. Also, the modulus sum can be taken care of by considering that it is only negative for the term with n=2.
Original post by twig
Which part of the summation is getting messy? Sn converges for n>1, so you could deal with that separately. Also, the modulus sum can be taken care of by considering that it is only negative for the term with n=2.

I've done all of that but am now wondering what I do for n=1 since Sn is divergent.
Reply 931
I've done all of that but am now wondering what I do for n=1 since Sn is divergent.

Lol Sn=0 for n=1, as the first term contains the factor (n-1).
Original post by twig
Lol Sn=0 for n=1, as the first term contains the factor (n-1).

and there lies the secret to doing maths. Don't be a moron.
Original post by Jampolo
Wow im so doing that, mathsmathsmaths:sexface:mathsmaths

Haven't done S2 yet, but im counting on it being a 90+ module to go towards my A* in further maths, i hope. I've started self teaching C3 and C4 already, i hope to take them both in January so i can get A Level maths out of the way, and just concentrate on further. 100 UMS on FP1 is impressive. I forgot how to do summing series when the n is replaced by 2n :facepalm: and also didn't cancel out a fraction on my proof by induction :facepalm: so im astonished on how i managed to still get an A ha!

I like physics, it interests me, but A level physics doesn't. I found the syllabus boring and i was drifting off in lessons, not really revising for it and thats why i got a B. Although i do like mechanics, one of my favourite modules. Im looking forward to next year, got really good teachers, and are being taught STEP by the best maths teacher the college has ever seen ! :tongue:

What universities are you looking to apply to?

EDIT: Done :sexface:

Ooh, nice original sig there :tongue:

I got 85, might ask Mr P if I can resit for those extra UMS - I was getting 90+ in my past papers. Saying that, I got 96/100 in the Chemistry specimen and came out with a B in the actual exam :angry: @mistakes I was aiming for 100 in C2 but managed to ignore where one question asked for an inequality and ended up with 98. :tongue:

Physics interests me more than the syllabus as well. I like all the quantum stuff but that exam's in June. Quarks n'ting. :cool: I've got a brilliant teacher (who's also my head of sixth form) who makes it more interesting. Had a camping trip recently, that was fun! :smile: I'm starting on C3/C4 now as well, I need it for FP3. If I get all the stuff done in time, I'll be taking G494, S3, S4, D1, D2, M2, FP2 in January. With a retake of F322, C1 and possibly S2. Yay workload! I might be the first person at my school to take STEP but the head of maths is relatively new so he might have some experience with it. If so, he's going to get bored of the sight of my face very quickly, especially with the self-teaching. :tongue:

Eww. I have 2 that I'm likely to be applying to: Leicester and Exeter. Won't be able to get to Leicester easily but Exeter's really near and looks pretty good for my course. I like the look of Durham too, but distance! AARGH! I'm probably going to avoid the London area because it's so expensive though. Getting loads of prospectuses through the mail: I'm waiting for Warwick, Bath, UCL, Sussex, Durham, Manchester and a couple more and have already got Cambridge, Southampton, Imperial, Exeter, Leicester and Surrey. Might be going a bit mad with the uni hunting.

EDIT: ugh, lots of words.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 934
Ooh, nice original sig there :tongue:

I got 85, might ask Mr P if I can resit for those extra UMS - I was getting 90+ in my past papers. Saying that, I got 96/100 in the Chemistry specimen and came out with a B in the actual exam :angry: @mistakes I was aiming for 100 in C2 but managed to ignore where one question asked for an inequality and ended up with 98. :tongue:

Physics interests me more than the syllabus as well. I like all the quantum stuff but that exam's in June. Quarks n'ting. :cool: I've got a brilliant teacher (who's also my head of sixth form) who makes it more interesting. Had a camping trip recently, that was fun! :smile: I'm starting on C3/C4 now as well, I need it for FP3. If I get all the stuff done in time, I'll be taking G494, S3, S4, D1, D2, M2, FP2 in January. With a retake of F322, C1 and possibly S2. Yay workload! I might be the first person at my school to take STEP but the head of maths is relatively new so he might have some experience with it. If so, he's going to get bored of the sight of my face very quickly, especially with the self-teaching. :tongue:

Eww. I have 2 that I'm likely to be applying to: Leicester and Exeter. Won't be able to get to Leicester easily but Exeter's really near and looks pretty good for my course. I like the look of Durham too, but distance! AARGH! I'm probably going to avoid the London area because it's so expensive though. Getting loads of prospectuses through the mail: I'm waiting for Warwick, Bath, UCL, Sussex, Durham, Manchester and a couple more and have already got Cambridge, Southampton, Imperial, Exeter, Leicester and Surrey. Might be going a bit mad with the uni hunting.

EDIT: ugh, lots of words.

Sorry it was so good i had to use it :wink:

I think we're on the both exam board, OCR. I too expected 100 UMS on C2, i didn't ignore the inequality, and i came out the exam thinking i got 100 and ended up with 95 :confused:, according to Mr M's answers i didn't get anything wrong! :tongue: I just think my handwriting sucks and becomes illegible sometimes :rolleyes:

Ha, quarks! Back in the day i just used to sit on wiki and look at stuff like that. Yes, i was that sad :tongue: Thing was i didn't have a clue what most of the stuff i was reading meant, but i carried on regardless :cool:. I should be taking C3 C4(if they let me) S1 S2 Economics Unit 3 (not cool enough to know the code :tongue:). So only one more than i had last january. But FIFA 12 comes out soon so i will have to drop all academics for some serious playing time :wink: Ah self teaching STEP must be a bitch. My teacher is leaving in december grr, so we might not have one from the new year. Saying that, Cambrdige offer a STEP school for state school students who do not get any help. I think we had a few STEP candidates last year, but exclusively for Warwick. We had a few offers for students to study at Oxford but haven't heard of anyone from my college going to Cambridge.

Ahh i might be mad but i only want to go to Warwick of Cambridge, with Warwick being the more likely option. Cambridge is a bit of a longshot but im going to give it a go. Other than those two, i'd probably pick somewhere like UCL, and Southampton for back up. Apart from those 4 (3 of them superrr competitive) i don't want to go anywhere else :frown: I might not even end up with a place looool. With London i could commute, but everyone tells me to live away because its so much more fun :tongue: so thats a reason why i would avoid London. Need to get myself to the Warwick open day !

EDIT: after reading that over, i have come to the conclusion, that i use :tongue: way too much! ... :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jampolo
Sorry it was so good i had to use it :wink:

I think we're on the both exam board, OCR. I too expected 100 UMS on C2, i didn't ignore the inequality, and i came out the exam thinking i got 100 and ended up with 95 :confused:, according to Mr M's answers i didn't get anything wrong! :tongue: I just think my handwriting sucks and becomes illegible sometimes :rolleyes:

Ha, quarks! Back in the day i just used to sit on wiki and look at stuff like that. Yes, i was that sad :tongue: Thing was i didn't have a clue what most of the stuff i was reading meant, but i carried on regardless :cool:. I should be taking C3 C4(if they let me) S1 S2 Economics Unit 3 (not cool enough to know the code :tongue:). So only one more than i had last january. But FIFA 12 comes out soon so i will have to drop all academics for some serious playing time :wink: Ah self teaching STEP must be a bitch. My teacher is leaving in december grr, so we might not have one from the new year. Saying that, Cambrdige offer a STEP school for state school students who do not get any help. I think we had a few STEP candidates last year, but exclusively for Warwick. We had a few offers for students to study at Oxford but haven't heard of anyone from my college going to Cambridge.

Ahh i might be mad but i only want to go to Warwick of Cambridge, with Warwick being the more likely option. Cambridge is a bit of a longshot but im going to give it a go. Other than those two, i'd probably pick somewhere like UCL, and Southampton for back up. Apart from those 4 (3 of them superrr competitive) i don't want to go anywhere else :frown: I might not even end up with a place looool. With London i could commute, but everyone tells me to live away because its so much more fun :tongue: so thats a reason why i would avoid London. Need to get myself to the Warwick open day !

EDIT: after reading that over, i have come to the conclusion, that i use :tongue: way too much! ... :tongue:

Ugh. I just spent ages trying to work out why the range of a simple function was >-0.25. Minimum point anyone? :tongue:

OCR YAY! Might have messed up on something - the questions were simple but had bits that caught people out.

Wiki's good for wasting loads of time on interesting things you never remember, I do the same :tongue: I only know the code because I've spent ages looking for notes to get a look at before the course begins. A2 physics coursework's a killer! ...literally, I managed to electrocute my physics teacher a few times :tongue: Ooh, gaming! I'd be in the same boat if I had a console newer than the PS2 :tongue: Also, my PS2 doesn't work too well. :sad: Might be a bitch, haven't started yet. No point until I get C3/C4/FP2/FP3 done. Might try M3 depending on how M2 goes, there are some bits I like and some bits I don't, although that's heavily based on how I tend to dislike things I'm not good at :tongue: We had someone accepted to Oxford for Physics last year, but I think that's it. Oxford's a lovely place, we went on a trip there and my chemistry teacher got really annoyed with the 'local buses only' signs. :laugh:

I might try for Caius College, Cambridge, but distance is a big issue. I don't mind living away, it's the fact that I'd have to take my stuff back and forward over the breaks. And if I get an interview, getting there wouldn't be easy. Also, STEP is :eek:. And my GCSEs could be a lot better. If I went to Southampton I could commute, but I wouldn't want to. Been to Southampton, it's a nice place, although that was on a chemistry trip.

I use emotes in general too much :tongue:
Who's doing Further Maths here?

Im going to do further maths AS in year 13 :biggrin:

Wow!! You were determined!!! So you picked up maths bascially 'by accident'.....?

Original post by Jampolo

Wow!! Your 4 A levels were very similar! What do you want to do at uni or as a career?
Original post by BeccaCath94
Im going to do further maths AS in year 13 :biggrin:

Wow!! You were determined!!! So you picked up maths bascially 'by accident'.....?

Definitely do it. FP1's a nice module - I love induction and complex numbers, although roots of polynomials annoyed me.

Might have got carried away, and this is just the maths (and the lime cycle). There's chemistry on the wall next to it. Physics didn't take up much room because it was just suvat and a few stock phrases :tongue:

Very stubborn :tongue: I've always been fairly mathsy/sciencey, I've just begun to love it recently :tongue:
Right, everyone seems to be writing their 'maths stories' so heres mine:

In year 7 I was in set 2 for maths, but then for year 8 we kept the same class but different teacher. That new teracher didnt 'want' me so I was put in the set above. That was probably the best thing to happen to me to be fair, being pushed... I got an A for GCSE, and took it for A level, not really wanting it to be my main subject...but after doing the FSMQ in year 11 and realising that C1 and C2 are basically the same, I really enjoyed and became hooked on maths!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Right, everyone seems to be writing their 'maths stories' so heres mine:

In year 7 I was in set 2 for maths, but then for year 8 we kept the same class but different teacher. That new teracher didnt 'want' me so I was put in the set above. That was probably the best thing to happen to me to be fair, being pushed... I got an A for GCSE, and took it for A level, not really wanting it to be my main subject...but after doing the FSMQ in year 11 and realising that C1 and C2 are basically the same, I really enjoyed and became hooked on maths!!!! :biggrin:

I don't know why, but I decided not to do the FSMQ :s-smilie:

That was during my 'ugh, cba to do anything in this lesson, I've already got a GCSE in it and I'd rather glue pens to the desk' phase. :tongue:

Latest