The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2011/2012 chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Just got back from my Danish oral exam and I got to find out after that I passed the course! Pretty happy about it :awesome:

Original post by Callum828
Doing mine at Sciences Po in Aix en Provence, France. I leave in two weeks. To be honest I'm a bit terrified about it. Not from the language issues so much (though I'm not a language undergrad) but more whether I'll actually make any friends. I know the social life is quite a bit different in French unis and with my poor French the only method I can think of is to get drunk all the time, which isn't really financially feasible.

Hmm, I can't really make any specific comment because I don't know the uni/area, but I would have thought there'll be quite a few other Erasmus students? And they'll be in the same boat...Also, I just had a quick look on Facebook and found the Erasmus Student Network for Aix en Provence. I'd really recommend that, and networking using other facebook groups for international/erasmus groups; I've met some people that way here in Copenhagen. Also, try looking here.
Reply 101
Original post by >Anna<
Just got back from my Danish oral exam and I got to find out after that I passed the course! Pretty happy about it :awesome:

Aaaaah congrats :biggrin: And well done!!
Original post by CPH<3
Aaaaah congrats :biggrin: And well done!!

Thanks :biggrin: Pretty sure I'm still skidt though....I got a 7, and the teacher said that's higher mid-level, but I'm not sure if he was just being nice?
Reply 103
Original post by >Anna<
Thanks :biggrin: Pretty sure I'm still skidt though....I got a 7, and the teacher said that's higher mid-level, but I'm not sure if he was just being nice?

7 is slightly above average, so you should be happy! :biggrin: Are you planning on taking more Danish courses while you're here?
Original post by CPH<3
7 is slightly above average, so you should be happy! :biggrin: Are you planning on taking more Danish courses while you're here?

Ah, ok, good good :smile: I know some people in my class got 4s, so I'm not really complaining! I'm thinking about it, but the course involves 6 hours of tuition a week and it would take up two evenings...I kind of want to though, because there's never going to be a better time to learn a language.

Do you know anything about this film screening in Frederiksberg tonight?
Original post by >Anna<

Hmm, I can't really make any specific comment because I don't know the uni/area, but I would have thought there'll be quite a few other Erasmus students? And they'll be in the same boat...Also, I just had a quick look on Facebook and found the Erasmus Student Network for Aix en Provence. I'd really recommend that, and networking using other facebook groups for international/erasmus groups; I've met some people that way here in Copenhagen. Also, try looking here.

Yeah I'd already found the international student page on there, hadn't seen the one you posted though, cheers.
Reply 106
Original post by >Anna<

Do you know anything about this film screening in Frederiksberg tonight?

The one in Søndermarken? I went there last night, tonight they're showing Inception I think :biggrin: Get there early (like 45 minutes early) or bring a chair. People bring chairs and sit up front, so if you only bring a blanket you won't be able to see anything. Stupid chair people :P So get there early to get a good seat! Also, if possible, wear mosquito repellent. You'll be able to buy overpriced popcorn and drinks if you don't want to bring your own :smile:
Original post by CPH<3
The one in Søndermarken? I went there last night, tonight they're showing Inception I think :biggrin: Get there early (like 45 minutes early) or bring a chair. People bring chairs and sit up front, so if you only bring a blanket you won't be able to see anything. Stupid chair people :P So get there early to get a good seat! Also, if possible, wear mosquito repellent. You'll be able to buy overpriced popcorn and drinks if you don't want to bring your own :smile:

Ah, I completely forgot to buy a blanket! So maybe not the best idea...And yep, I meant Søndermarken :smile:
Any idea what they're showing tomorrow?
Reply 108
Original post by >Anna<
Ah, I completely forgot to buy a blanket! So maybe not the best idea...And yep, I meant Søndermarken :smile: any idea what they're showing tomorrow?

Tomorrow it's the Zulu favourite, so it's a secret until you show up :P no one knows what it is, but there's a big possibility it'll be something Danish or The King's Speech :wink:
Reply 109
I'm moving to Tokyo in 10 days where I'll be studying Japanese and other things for a year. I can speak Japanese quite well but I'm not native-level fluent yet and this is what I'm trying to achieve.

Even though I've always wanted to live in Japan for a while and I'm doing exactly what I want to do, right now I'm just depressed due to the fact that I don't have a job for next year (I've graduated) and while I have a decent amount of time to apply for the kind of graduate schemes here in the UK that I want to go for, I'm severely restricted in the amount of interviews and such I can go for due to the fact that I'm located several thousand miles away and getting back home is very expensive.

:frown:
Original post by CPH<3
Tomorrow it's the Zulu favourite, so it's a secret until you show up :P no one knows what it is, but there's a big possibility it'll be something Danish or The King's Speech :wink:

Zulu favourite?! Ah, The King's Speech is so good :moon:
I've been invited to a proper kollegium party tonight so I think I should go along to experience that! It's a 32 hour drinking competition between the different floors :zomg:

Original post by Azimuth
I'm moving to Tokyo in 10 days where I'll be studying Japanese and other things for a year. I can speak Japanese quite well but I'm not native-level fluent yet and this is what I'm trying to achieve.

Even though I've always wanted to live in Japan for a while and I'm doing exactly what I want to do, right now I'm just depressed due to the fact that I don't have a job for next year (I've graduated) and while I have a decent amount of time to apply for the kind of graduate schemes here in the UK that I want to go for, I'm severely restricted in the amount of interviews and such I can go for due to the fact that I'm located several thousand miles away and getting back home is very expensive.

:frown:

That's really cool! Can you not do interviews when you're back? You went to a very good university, can speak Japanese and will have lived there for a year...now, I'm no expert, but I would have thought those were all things employers would lap up? If I were you I'd just apply for everything anyway, and see what they say when you tell them you can't make it back from Japan: they might have some kind of suggestion/solution? :dontknow:
Reply 111
Original post by >Anna<
Zulu favourite?! Ah, The King's Speech is so good :moon:
I've been invited to a proper kollegium party tonight so I think I should go along to experience that! It's a 32 hour drinking competition between the different floors :zomg:

:O OMG YES DO THAT!!! That's so much fun! Usually the floor with most guys win. You should definitely experience that :smile:
Original post by CPH<3
:O OMG YES DO THAT!!! That's so much fun! Usually the floor with most guys win. You should definitely experience that :smile:

Haha, ok ok I will. Small problem is that I told my friend I'd look it up online so she didn't have to give me any directions and I googled it and it returns 0 results :indiff:

Any idea where handvær kollegium is? I know it's in Bispebjerg, I just don't know where.... Also, what's appropriate to wear to something like that? I'm guessing jeans and a nice-ish top? But I really have no idea...
Reply 113
Original post by >Anna<
Haha, ok ok I will. Small problem is that I told my friend I'd look it up online so she didn't have to give me any directions and I googled it and it returns 0 results :indiff:

Any idea where handvær kollegium is? I know it's in Bispebjerg, I just don't know where.... Also, what's appropriate to wear to something like that? I'm guessing jeans and a nice-ish top? But I really have no idea...

Hmm... If it's the one I think it is it'll be on Bispebjerg Parkalle 22, but I'm not sure. And yeah, jeans and a nice top will be fine :biggrin:
Original post by CPH<3
Hmm... If it's the one I think it is it'll be on Bispebjerg Parkalle 22, but I'm not sure. And yeah, jeans and a nice top will be fine :biggrin:

I sent my friend a text and you're completely right! Thanks for all your advice! :biggrin:
You up to much this weekend?
Reply 115
Original post by >Anna<
I sent my friend a text and you're completely right! Thanks for all your advice! :biggrin:
You up to much this weekend?

I'm relaxing tonight after a CBS party with all the exchange students last night, aaand tomorrow there's a formal dinner or something, so I'll have to go to that too :smile: I love exchange students, they're so much fun xD

I hope you have fun at the drinking competition. Good luck if you're joining in, 32 hours might be a bit much though :tongue:
Original post by CPH<3
I'm relaxing tonight after a CBS party with all the exchange students last night, aaand tomorrow there's a formal dinner or something, so I'll have to go to that too :smile: I love exchange students, they're so much fun xD

I hope you have fun at the drinking competition. Good luck if you're joining in, 32 hours might be a bit much though :tongue:

Ah, cool! Our induction stuff starts this week, and I'm already looking forward to meeting some more people :smile:

Hah, I wont be joining in seriously..my best friend is coming to visit and I have to be at the airport at lunchtime! I meant to clean my room inside out, as she's staying with me, but it's 9.30, I'm not ready to go out and my room's not exactly cleaned - oops! Need to try to do everything, somehow..
Reply 117
Original post by >Anna<
That's really cool! Can you not do interviews when you're back? You went to a very good university, can speak Japanese and will have lived there for a year...now, I'm no expert, but I would have thought those were all things employers would lap up? If I were you I'd just apply for everything anyway, and see what they say when you tell them you can't make it back from Japan: they might have some kind of suggestion/solution? :dontknow:

I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Here's hoping everything works out in the end. :smile:

I've also been thinking about the idea of just saying screw it and applying for jobs in Japan. That's a big step though.
Original post by Azimuth
I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Here's hoping everything works out in the end. :smile:

I've also been thinking about the idea of just saying screw it and applying for jobs in Japan. That's a big step though.

All fingers crossed :biggrin:

Well, you wouldn't be stuck in Japan forever, would you?
Reply 119
Leaving for Japan in 3 days for my year abroad and I am officially freaking out. Anyone feeling the same :redface:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending