The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth1234

Well, I've been self-taught for 13 of my maths modules, and was taught online for FP3 and by the local university for FP2. I think it looks pretty good on the personal statement, and I personally prefer to self-teach, as it means you can take things at your own pace (I sat in a Core 3 lesson for a few weeks. It was unbearable. The schedule in my school was: 6 hours spent on learning the Chain Rule, and another 15 to mess around - ahem, practice questions - in class... :yawn:).

It depends what you're trying to get out of it - an extra qualification (Further Maths? Additional Further Maths?) or if you are trying to simply learn it for the sake of learning it. There is also, perhaps, that if you take more modules, you're more likely to get 90% on three of them and get an A*, as long as you don't find yourself with too much work, and end up missing some other grade instead.

Of course, there's never harm in learning! Personally, I'd say the pros outweigh the cons :smile:

I think me trying to self-teach the six modules for an A level in Additional Further Maths would be crazy. Especially if I have to study for STEP (the probability of me getting an offer from Cambridge with my module scores isn't that likely but still...), the workload would be too much for me to cope. Next year I'll be doing a whole Further Maths A level -- FP1, FP2, D1, D2, M1, M2 -- with the AS units being completed in January (alongside the modules I'll be retaking) so that potentially leaves scope for me to study FP3 and two other A2 modules in June. Phew, I'll ask my teachers about it. One of my Maths teachers did say to me that she thought she could probably just give me the textbook and I'd do as well as if I was being taught it.

But yes, I played with the idea last year and I never got round to approaching anyone about it. I'll make sure I talk about it before or when we're going through our UCAS grades with our teachers. Also I might discuss doing the AEA. I'm so glad there's so much scope for mathematical studying.

That sounds like want happens in a Single Maths lesson at my school. We're a little more fasted-paced in our Further Maths lessons but we do eat cake and talk philosophically all the while not doing the practice questions.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 81
Original post by Edwin Okli
I think me trying to self-teach the six modules for an A level in Additional Further Maths would be crazy. Especially if I have to study for STEP (the probability of me getting an offer from Cambridge with my module scores isn't that likely but still...), the workload would be too much for me to cope. Next year I'll be doing a whole Further Maths A level -- FP1, FP2, D1, D2, M1, M2 -- with the AS units being completed in January (alongside the modules I'll be retaking) so that potentially leaves scope for me to study FP3 and two other A2 modules in June. Phew, I'll ask my teachers about it. One of my Maths teachers did say to me that she thought she could probably just give me the textbook and I'd do as well as if I was being taught it.

But yes, I played with the idea last year and I never got round to approaching anyone about it. I'll make sure I talk about it before or when we're going through our UCAS grades with our teachers. Also I might discuss doing the AEA. I'm so glad there's so much scope for mathematical studying.

That sounds like want happens in a Single Maths lesson at my school. We're a little more fasted-paced in our Further Maths lessons but we do eat cake and talk philosophically all the while not doing the practice questions.

Doing STEP and getting an S or 1 in it is far more impressive than doing Additional Further Maths and getting an A*.
Reply 82

Original post by chaz1992
Doing STEP and getting an S or 1 in it is far more impressive than doing Additional Further Maths and getting an A*.

I'd definitely agree with chaz1992 here. It's also a little late to put "self taught" in your personal statement as well, so the benefits of self teaching extra modules, in terms of strengthening your Uni application, aren't huge - especially if you think the workload is getting a little much. The main reasons for doing it would be personal benefit, and maybe (but don't quote me on this) it could help increase the scope of questions you can attempt in STEP III.

Hmm... your combination of units for FM - does that mean you've already done S1 and S2 for A-level maths? And what exam board are you on?

By the way, aren't you applying to Warwick as well? There's always STEP for that, too... although you do mention doing the AEA.
After seeing the grades in this thread it's better I don't apply :frown:
Reply 84
Original post by Sweetcorn_1
After seeing the grades in this thread it's better I don't apply :frown:

Do you think your grades are too far off? If you think you're in with a chance (even if it is very slim), remember that TSR probably tends to represents the better part of the student population, and that Imperial is only one choice out of five! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

I'd definitely agree with chaz1992 here. It's also a little late to put "self taught" in your personal statement as well, so the benefits of self teaching extra modules, in terms of strengthening your Uni application, aren't huge - especially if you think the workload is getting a little much. The main reasons for doing it would be personal benefit, and maybe (but don't quote me on this) it could help increase the scope of questions you can attempt in STEP III.

Hmm... your combination of units for FM - does that mean you've already done S1 and S2 for A-level maths? And what exam board are you on?

By the way, aren't you applying to Warwick as well? There's always STEP for that, too... although you do mention doing the AEA.

It's true, I wish I had already done these things in retrospect. Obviously I'd be teaching myself the modules because I'd want to but it would still be nice to get some recognition for it. Although, it wouldn't be proven that I can self-teach effectively, hm....

Yes, I have (see signature). I'm on Edexcel, how about you?

No, I don't think I'll be applying for Warwick (although I've considered it.. I have a prospectus for it). I don't think they do the course that I want but I wouldn't mind applying for just Mathematics. J'y réfléchirai.
Reply 86
It's true, I wish I had already done these things in retrospect. Obviously I'd be teaching myself the modules because I'd want to but it would still be nice to get some recognition for it. Although, it wouldn't be proven that I can self-teach effectively, hm....

Yes, I have (see signature). I'm on Edexcel, how about you?

No, I don't think I'll be applying for Warwick (although I've considered it.. I have a prospectus for it). I don't think they do the course that I want but I wouldn't mind applying for just Mathematics. J'y réfléchirai.

Ah I see. To be honest, your UMS aren't bad (in maths, anyway) - S2 could just be passed off as a bad day. I think my own UMS in maths are pretty poor overall (by Oxbridge standards), although I'm hoping that the fact I have very good UMS in the core/pure modules will balance out my pathetic performance in the applied modules (especially statistics).

I was on OCR for Maths, and MEI for FM and Additional FM.

To be fair, I think most people, in hindsight, would wish they'd done a little more. In retrospect, I wish I'd done a little more with Maths Challenges and Olympiads - the furthest I got was Gold in the Intermediate Maths Challenge :rolleyes: and then my school wouldn't do them anymore.
Original post by ??????????????????
Not sure if I'm going to apply because I think my grades at AS were mediocre and I underachieved I think. Just tell me whether or not I should bother or save a space.

GCSEs: A*AAAAABCE and a half GCSE at A
AS Subjects: Maths (B) Chemistry (C) Biology (B) Economics (B)
Course Biochemistry (AAB min)

If I get predictions of AAB will I still be considered or do they look at AS grades more heavily. Hope to have a good PS too so should I even bother? Oh and dropping economics.

Might take a gap year if I get good grades but don't get university I want.

Anybody?
Do you think your grades are too far off? If you think you're in with a chance (even if it is very slim), remember that TSR probably tends to represents the better part of the student population, and that Imperial is only one choice out of five! :smile:

Maths - A
Economics - A
English Lit. - B (2 UMS off A, getting a remark)
ICT - B (Terrible teachers, I did the best in the year with a B).

Doing an AS in F. Maths, I'm a bit worried about cashing in my AS grades, I'd probably cash them in without UMS as they're not 95% like everyone else.

Should I bother?

Edit: and my GCSEs are terrible.
Reply 89
Maths - A
Economics - A

Doing an AS in F. Maths, I'm a bit worried about cashing in my AS grades, I'd probably cash them in without UMS as they're not 95% like everyone else.

Should I bother?

Looks like you're not that far off. Which subject are you applying for?
(edited 12 years ago)

Ah I see. To be honest, your UMS aren't bad (in maths, anyway) - S2 could just be passed off as a bad day. I think my own UMS in maths are pretty poor overall (by Oxbridge standards), although I'm hoping that the fact I have very good UMS in the core/pure modules will balance out my pathetic performance in the applied modules (especially statistics).

I was on OCR for Maths, and MEI for FM and Additional FM.

To be fair, I think most people, in hindsight, would wish they'd done a little more. In retrospect, I wish I'd done a little more with Maths Challenges and Olympiads - the furthest I got was Gold in the Intermediate Maths Challenge :rolleyes: and then my school wouldn't do them anymore.

Oh, S2 was a horrific paper this year... I was on the verge of tears by the end of the exam. Retaking it looks like a good option (just in case I need it for Further Maths.. my Mechanics ability isn't all that brilliant) but I will pass it off as a bad day otherwise.

Oh, I'll be doing the Senior Maths Challenge again this year, I reckon. I got Silver last year but only just missed out on getting Gold so hopefully it'll be my year this year. I did a Year 12 Suffolk Maths Team Challenge not too long ago. We didn't win... not even close but it was fun.
Looks like you're not that far off. Which subject are you applying for?

Computing.
Reply 92
Original post by ??????????????????
Not sure if I'm going to apply because I think my grades at AS were mediocre and I underachieved I think. Just tell me whether or not I should bother or save a space.

GCSEs: A*AAAAABCE and a half GCSE at A
AS Subjects: Maths (B) Chemistry (C) Biology (B) Economics (B)
Course Biochemistry (AAB min)

If I get predictions of AAB will I still be considered or do they look at AS grades more heavily. Hope to have a good PS too so should I even bother? Oh and dropping economics.

Might take a gap year if I get good grades but don't get university I want.

If you manage to get the school to say that they are confident you'd get AAB, it may be worth a shot. However, I must say that without extenuating circumstances, I think it's rather difficult to explain some of those grades. Also, AAB are minimum requirements - there will, of course be people applying with better AS grades, and probably better A2 predictions too (maybe AAA or even above).

If you can put together a good PS, and a very good reference (Imperial seems to put quite a lot of emphasis on both), then you are in with a (slim) chance. What caused you to underachieve? How far were you off AAAB?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Oh, S2 was a horrific paper this year... I was on the verge of tears by the end of the exam. Retaking it looks like a good option (just in case I need it for Further Maths.. my Mechanics ability isn't all that brilliant) but I will pass it off as a bad day otherwise.

Oh, I'll be doing the Senior Maths Challenge again this year, I reckon. I got Silver last year but only just missed out on getting Gold so hopefully it'll be my year this year. I did a Year 12 Suffolk Maths Team Challenge not too long ago. We didn't win... not even close but it was fun.

I think I will nag my school into letting me do the Senior Maths Challenge this year. It's late to put it into the PS, but I want to do it anyway. So... we'll be competing :colone:

On a (slightly) different note, have you started your UCAs application yet?

Computing.

I think you'd be okay, as long as you put together a good PS and have your teachers put together a good reference for you (and predict you at least the grades you need for the course). :smile:

I think I will nag my school into letting me do the Senior Maths Challenge this year. It's late to put it into the PS, but I want to do it anyway. So... we'll be competing :colone:

On a (slightly) different note, have you started your UCAs application yet?

Yes. I'm getting back feedback on my PS when I get back to school (although I'm going to change it to make it much more mathematics-related than computing-related.. my friend suggested that I shouldn't talk about Maths that often and I've realised that she was wrong, haha). Then I'll just need to fill in my choices, get my UCAS grades, and send it off.
Maths - A
Economics - A

Should I bother?

I see you are a computing student.

I'll be honest. You have a bit of a struggle, I'm not going to lie. AABB are not perfect. I would make Imperial your highest uni if I were you.
However, A in maths is positive and the fact that you're going to do an AS in further maths is encouraging too. Make sure you get an A* prediction for maths.
The A in economics looks good too, any way of bumping up the English grade?
You are quite disadvantaged in the fact that you aren't doing many sciency A Levels like physics, chemistry etc that a lot of other students will have. Work your butt off for resits and nail a good PS and get a good reference (details are on my post in the first page), you will do yourself justice. Apply to Imperial anyway, but put in a lot of hard work because the likely offer you will get is A*AAA.

What are your GCSEs btw, because I feel like you're being a bit harsh on yourself and undermining your ablities? Also do you do any extra relevant maths/computing stuff like programming and any noteworthy hobbies?
Reply 96
Yes. I'm getting back feedback on my PS when I get back to school (although I'm going to change it to make it much more mathematics-related than computing-related.. my friend suggested that I shouldn't talk about Maths that often and I've realised that she was wrong, haha). Then I'll just need to fill in my choices, get my UCAS grades, and send it off.

Yes, talk about maths! :biggrin:

What are all the other places you are applying for?
Reply 97
To everyone:

Right, I've been through these five pages of the thread and put together a list of people who seem to be definitely applying in the first thread. For the perfectionists among us, yes, I know it's not in in alphabetical order, but I'll get round to that :biggrin:

If I have missed someone out or someone has changed their minds or if I've stuck someone in the wrong subject (probably maths :tongue:) or spelt their username wrong (horror of horrors :eek:), please let me know :smile:
White space :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, talk about maths! :biggrin:

What are all the other places you are applying for?

Aside from Imperial:

Emmanuel College, Cambridge (G100)

University of Bristol (GG1K)

University of St Andrews (GG14)

University of Birmingham (GI11) / University of Warwick (G103)

Decisions...
Reply 99
Aside from Imperial:

Emmanuel College, Cambridge (G100)

University of Bristol (GG1K)

University of St Andrews (GG14)

University of Birmingham (GI11) / University of Warwick (G103)

Decisions...

Hmm... St Andrews? Are you applying for "Fast Track"? Why not Edinburgh?

Latest