The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by economyst
It was a book review. Further, I basically picked things from the Cambridge's first year syllabus and said I loved them. It always explicitly mentioned my passion for economics, never implied it.

Hmm, I was quite sure I could send my UCAS application of with two uni's then add the rest on later. I didn't know you could send it off with just 1. If I can, then I will apply to LSE later, at the same time I apply to bath and York.
Do you think end of October is OK ? Cam deadline is 15th Oct.

more like 1st or 2nd week of NOV would be better. LSE makes very small amount of offers before Christmas and rest only after 2nd week of Jan spread out till last UCAS stated date - i thin till end of March.
Reply 1841
It was a book review. Further, I basically picked things from the Cambridge's first year syllabus and said I loved them. It always explicitly mentioned my passion for economics, never implied it.

Hmm, I was quite sure I could send my UCAS application of with two uni's then add the rest on later. I didn't know you could send it off with just 1. If I can, then I will apply to LSE later, at the same time I apply to bath and York.
Do you think end of October is OK ? Cam deadline is 15th Oct.

How do you actually submit it then go back and add choices?

And a lot of schools have internal deadlines of before October, then they send them all off before then anyway (whether you are applying to Oxbridge or not). It would be very unfair indeed to reject an applicant because they "might have applied to Oxbridge" wouldn't it?

I have to admit I was quite uneducated about the whole UCAS thing and what the actual purpose of the PS was. So I just tried to seem like I liked economics by telling them I read lots of books. and commenting on them

Ah understood

What I mean is that it had a lot of "I love econ", "My passion for econ is displayed by...", "I am a dedicated talented student of econ" where as the PS should show all those things without actually mentioning them.

Yeah true, indirectly mentioning it is better
Reply 1843
Original post by Tomatochuckers
What do you lot want to do when u finish ur economics degree (sorry random question) cos that may influence ur uni choices

Not sure yet, keeping an open mind. You?
I have to admit I was quite uneducated about the whole UCAS thing and what the actual purpose of the PS was. So I just tried to seem like I liked economics by telling them I read lots of books. and commenting on them

What I mean is that it had a lot of "I love econ", "My passion for econ is displayed by...", "I am a dedicated talented student of econ" where as the PS should show all those things without actually mentioning them.

try this ... Paul has done a very good job on this .... basically collection of 2-3 yrs successful PS
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=664764
Cool. I see you like Nas

Yes i do indeed, are you also a Nas fan :love:
Original post by Tateco

And a lot of schools have internal deadlines of before October, then they send them all off before then anyway (whether you are applying to Oxbridge or not). It would be very unfair indeed to reject an applicant because they "might have applied to Oxbridge" wouldn't it?

It is not a question of unfair or fair ... at the end of the day applicant can accept only one offer (and one insurance) ... so the unis do not want to make offers to applicants who they feel would never come to their uni. They rather make offers only to applicants who they think will probably join them. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
For those of you applying for cambridge, which college are you applying for?
Reply 1848
Original post by perrytheplatypus
For those of you applying for cambridge, which college are you applying for?

Not saying. Or else admissions tutors will know who I am :wink:.
Original post by zxh800
Not saying. Or else admissions tutors will know who I am :wink:.

you can always give a wrong college and keep them off track:tongue:
Reply 1850
Original post by Dumb Economist
It is not a question of unfair or fair ... at the end of the day applicant can accept only one offer (and one insurance) ... so the unis do not want to make offers to applicants who they feel would never come to their uni. They rather make offers only to applicants who they think will probably join them. :smile:

I suppose, but surely it's about getting the best applicants? Why not risk accepting slightly more of the best than only giving offers to those who you think are likely to accept it, it's LSE we're talking about here, not some second rate ex-poly
What do you lot want to do when u finish ur economics degree (sorry random question) cos that may influence ur uni choices

I want to go into banking but not forever. I just think it is quite interesting and will give me excellent exit opportunities. My dream is to work for IMF, World Bank, European Central Bank, Bundesbank etc. But in order to get a job at one of these I will need to do something else first and who knows maybe I'll change my mind in a few years... :smile:

Original post by Tateco

I think it is kind of a myth that they reject students that are Oxbridge "material". Good candidates will always get an offer. Also if you go to the Oxford/Cambridge Offer Holders 2011 thread (I am pretty sure you have also been stalking them :biggrin:) most applicants have offers from other unis like York, Warwick, Bath or LSE as well.
Original post by Tateco
I suppose, but surely it's about getting the best applicants? Why not risk accepting slightly more of the best than only giving offers to those who you think are likely to accept it, it's LSE we're talking about here, not some second rate ex-poly

Although not proven but there are rumours that usually people who get offers from UCL eco dept do not (normally) get offers from LSE. There has been many cases before. Saying that LSE just gets too many good applicants and they find reasons to reject. :tongue:
Tat, You just send of your app, then later there is an option at the bottom of UCAS track to add choices.
I see no harm in applying for Cambridge first and then the rest in mid November. If anything, the admissions tutor will be more likely to think I didn't apply to Oxbridge and thus might be more likely to give me an offer.
Although not proven but there are rumours that usually people who get offers from UCL eco dept do not (normally) get offers from LSE. There has been many cases before. Saying that LSE just gets too many good applicants and they find reasons to reject. :tongue:

What, UCL and LSE collude together when giving offers ?
My main concern is whether I will get 5 rejections again or not. Looking at my grades I know I sound silly saying that, but my GCSE's are very poor and I have also applied to Warwick, Cambridge and LSE before and got rejected.

Bath is a competitive place and even with my grades I don't think I am guaranteed an offer there.

York, to me, seems like a place where I should be guaranteed an offer. But if they reject me because they think I will reject them, then I am left with 4 risky ones again.

How about just have four risky ones and a less risky one? That's what I did (Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Southampton).

Does any one think this is a good idea to avoid 5 rejections:
Apply Cam and LSE
Wait for Cam dead line to pass
Apply York and Bath
If Cam and/or LSE accept, then accept them giving preference to Cam.
If Cam and LSE reject me but bath accepts me, then apply to Warwick for econ, as if I don't get into Warwick I will have bath as back up.
If Cam, LSE and Bath reject me, Then apply for maths and econ at Warwick, because I think I am (almost) guaranteed their A*A*A (M,FM) STEP:2 offer.
And I am assuming York will accept me.

For me I'd just apply for your four favourite ones, and one backup. I wouldn't be so sure that you'd be 'guaranteed' a Maths and Economics offer at Warwick, as I got the impression that it's still quite competitive, and your PS is unlikely to have that much about (pure) Maths in it.

I have never seen any real evidence of this. I got offers from both.

no proof... saying that ALEX is one of very very few who had offers from UCL, LSE and Cambridge... :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
How about just have four risky ones and a less risky one? That's what I did (Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Southampton).

For me I'd just apply for your four favourite ones, and one backup. I wouldn't be so sure that you'd be 'guaranteed' a Maths and Economics offer at Warwick, as I got the impression that it's still quite competitive, and your PS is unlikely to have that much about (pure) Maths in it.

I have never seen any real evidence of this. I got offers from both.

I am applying for four risky ones and one safe. York is AAA-AAB which I think is quite safe.

I emailed Warwick maths and I got the sense from their reply that provided your Predicted A*A* M,FM or A*A M,FM you are incredibly likely to get an offer. The PS for them is not a major concern because if someone can get a 1 or 2 on a STEP paper then they probably do have the passion and ability to study maths at uni.

Hmm, it would be quite a big scandal, I only mention it because of dumb economist.
I am applying for four risky ones and one safe. York is AAA-AAB which I think is quite safe.

I emailed Warwick maths and I got the sense from their reply that provided your Predicted A*A* M,FM or A*A M,FM you are incredibly likely to get an offer. The PS for them is not a major concern because if someone can get a 1 or 2 on a STEP paper then they probably do have the passion and ability to study maths at uni.

Hmm, it would be quite a big scandal, I only mention it because of dumb economist.

just go through last two three years LSE applicants thread and see how many top candidates who got very early offers from UCL got rejected by LSE. While there were many who were rejected by UCL got offers from LSE. :redface: Obviously there were couple exceptions..
(edited 12 years ago)

Fair enough. :smile:

just go through last two three years LSE applicants thread and see how many top candidates who got very early offers from UCL got rejected by LSE. While there were many who were rejected by UCL got offers from LSE. :redface:

It is possible that they're just looking for different things.

Latest

Trending

Trending