The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
Original post by Dumb Economist
just go through last two three years LSE applicants thread and see how many top candidates who got very early offers from UCL got rejected by LSE. While there were many who were rejected by UCL got offers from LSE. :redface: Obviously there were couple exceptions..

Just out of interest, I presume you are already at university, where are you studying? :u:
Original post by alex_hk90
Fair enough. :smile:

It is possible that they're just looking for different things.

Agreed... so one can assume that it was PS that made the difference. As the application requirements for both were same ... they both do not ask for AS UMS marks etc. But the number of strong applicants who had one or the other were just too many to just conclude that it was just PS.
Original post by Groat
Just out of interest, I presume you are already at university, where are you studying? :u:

Same as Alex ..Cambs :wink:
Reply 1863

Excellent stuff! Fingers crossed I may meet you one day. :u:
Original post by Groat

good luck mate :biggrin: With Economics - little bit of luck is required too along with grades...
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Groat

Excellent! You all go to Cambridge, less competition for me at Oxford :biggrin: :biggrin:
Agreed... so one can assume that it was PS that made the difference. As the application requirements for both were same ... they both do not ask for AS UMS marks etc. But the number of strong applicants who had one or the other were just too many to just conclude that it was just PS.

I got my reference to include at least my Maths/Further Maths UMS (I can't remember if they included the rest) as my school didn't declare AS grades.
Original post by nightmare91
Excellent! You all go to Cambridge, less competition for me at Oxford :biggrin: :biggrin:

I assume you will go for Economics +management. Be carefully how you write your PS, especially if you are applying for pure Eco at UCL and LSE too.
Reply 1868
good luck mate :biggrin: With Economics - little bit of luck is required too along with grades...

Thank you. Yeah, it's ridiculously competitive so I hope luck is on my side. I'm going to do everything I can to prepare for interview.

It's a shame Oxford have more applicants and less places. :sexface:
Reply 1869
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum and wondering if I can get some help. I wanted to know what Unis I should apply to because Im not sure.
I got 7A*s 3As 1B at GCSE + an A in Add Maths
I got 4As for AS Level, Maths 97%, Economics 91%, Biology 88%, Chemistry 85%, and I am currently doing Further Maths AS over two years. (I've dropped Chemistry now)
Hopefully my teachers will at least predict me A*AAa (hopefully A*A*Aa), but I'll have to wait and see.

(Obviously an Economics course)
(edited 12 years ago)
I assume you will go for Economics +management. Be carefully how you write your PS, especially if you are applying for pure Eco at UCL and LSE too.

Yep I have already finished my PS. I haven't mentioned Management at all but the Oxford tutors told me that this would be okay because they know that we are applying to other unis for straight econ as well. I am glad they see it this way because otherwise I'd be in trouble :biggrin:
Yep I have already finished my PS. I haven't mentioned Management at all but the Oxford tutors told me that this would be okay because they know that we are applying to other unis for straight econ as well. I am glad they see it this way because otherwise I'd be in trouble :biggrin:

good... you are covered.
Original post by zxh800
Not saying. Or else admissions tutors will know who I am :wink:.

hold on...you're right! :gasp:
Good thing I haven't decide yet, or I'd have said >_>
Original post by expopyro
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum and wondering if I can get some help. I wanted to know what Unis I should apply to because Im not sure.
I got 7A*s 3As 1B at GCSE + an A in Add Maths
I got 4As for AS Level, Maths 97%, Economics 91%, Biology 88%, Chemistry 85%, and I am currently doing Further Maths AS over two years. (I've dropped Chemistry now)
Hopefully my teachers will at least predict me A*AAa (hopefully A*A*Aa), but I'll have to wait and see.

(Obviously an Economics course)

try this thread. Paul has done good job explaining, although not updated for the current year but the concept is pretty much valid.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1382873
Original post by Groat
Thank you. Yeah, it's ridiculously competitive so I hope luck is on my side. I'm going to do everything I can to prepare for interview.

How do you prepare for the interview? I don't really have a clue how to :s-smilie:

Original post by Groat
It's a shame Oxford have more applicants and less places. :sexface:

Haha yea you are right. But as long as candidates like you and Tateco are applying to Cam instead of Oxford... :biggrin: But I heard that E&M has many international applicants that just apply but don't really have a chance of getting in anyway... Hope this is true in some way :colone:
Reply 1875
Original post by Tateco
How's your PS coming along? :smile:

Started finished my opening paragraph of my PS statement and things are going fairly okay I'd say. Only problem is that every day I feel the need to change something in my PS :tongue:

How about yours Tat?
I want to go into banking but not forever. I just think it is quite interesting and will give me excellent exit opportunities. My dream is to work for IMF, World Bank, European Central Bank, Bundesbank etc. But in order to get a job at one of these I will need to do something else first and who knows maybe I'll change my mind in a few years... :smile:

Exactly this for me actually. Banking for a while and then IMF, although I imagine that may very well change :redface:
Reply 1877
How do you prepare for the interview? I don't really have a clue how to :s-smilie:

Haha yea you are right. But as long as candidates like you and Tateco are applying to Cam instead of Oxford... :biggrin: But I heard that E&M has many international applicants that just apply but don't really have a chance of getting in anyway... Hope this is true in some way :colone:

:rofl: I'm sure you'll have a good chance of getting in :smile:

Original post by Hemzo
Started finished my opening paragraph of my PS statement and things are going fairly okay I'd say. Only problem is that every day I feel the need to change something in my PS :tongue:

How about yours Tat?

Nice :smile: I think I'm pretty much done with it now, just need to see if I get onto a gap year scheme and then decide whether I need to change it or not...
Reply 1878

try this thread. Paul has done good job explaining, although not updated for the current year but the concept is pretty much valid.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1382873

hmmmm i've looked at that thread, it says warwick are hard on gcses (9A* at least) is this still true, where is everyone else applying to?
Original post by Tateco
:rofl: I'm sure you'll have a good chance of getting in :smile:

Thanks :biggrin:. Hope hard work pays off. Btw have you finished all your application stuff already? Like PS and reference etc.? I am still waiting for my teacher to write me the reference... :frown:

Latest