The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Contrad!ction.
I don't know why, but I decided not to do the FSMQ :s-smilie:

That was during my 'ugh, cba to do anything in this lesson, I've already got a GCSE in it and I'd rather glue pens to the desk' phase. :tongue:

Well we did the maths GCSE in year 10, so in year 11 we HAD TO either do GCSE resit, Stats GCSE or FSMQ...they said do FSMQ if you wanted to do maths a level so... :P

Wow! That sounds like a very cool phase :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Well we did the maths GCSE in year 10, so in year 11 we HAD TO either do GCSE resit, Stats GCSE or FSMQ...they said do FSMQ if you wanted to do maths a level so... :P

Wow! That sounds like a very cool phase :biggrin: :biggrin:

I wanted to do Stats GCSE - when we picked our options in Year 9 I chose Stats but the old head of maths was like 'oh, there's not enough maths teachers!' so I ended up doing Food Tech with an absolute bitch of a teacher who I hated and ended up getting a D. :tongue:

A phase I now regret :tongue:
Reply 942
Ugh. I just spent ages trying to work out why the range of a simple function was >-0.25. Minimum point anyone? :tongue:

OCR YAY! Might have messed up on something - the questions were simple but had bits that caught people out.

Wiki's good for wasting loads of time on interesting things you never remember, I do the same :tongue: I only know the code because I've spent ages looking for notes to get a look at before the course begins. A2 physics coursework's a killer! ...literally, I managed to electrocute my physics teacher a few times :tongue: Ooh, gaming! I'd be in the same boat if I had a console newer than the PS2 :tongue: Also, my PS2 doesn't work too well. :sad: Might be a bitch, haven't started yet. No point until I get C3/C4/FP2/FP3 done. Might try M3 depending on how M2 goes, there are some bits I like and some bits I don't, although that's heavily based on how I tend to dislike things I'm not good at :tongue: We had someone accepted to Oxford for Physics last year, but I think that's it. Oxford's a lovely place, we went on a trip there and my chemistry teacher got really annoyed with the 'local buses only' signs. :laugh:

I might try for Caius College, Cambridge, but distance is a big issue. I don't mind living away, it's the fact that I'd have to take my stuff back and forward over the breaks. And if I get an interview, getting there wouldn't be easy. Also, STEP is :eek:. And my GCSEs could be a lot better. If I went to Southampton I could commute, but I wouldn't want to. Been to Southampton, it's a nice place, although that was on a chemistry trip.

I use emotes in general too much :tongue:

ah, i took the impossible D1 exam, such a crap exam. Scraped an A, but OCR really screwed a lot of people over.

I did that, had a look at AS maths before i started, and even started self teaching, but it was the wrong exam board :facepalm: , i swear my college said they were on Edexcel :tongue: I hated AS phyiscs coursework enough to drop it. We were sort of totally left on our own, i managed to get an A on it somehow :tongue: got exactly 80% :wink: Ah no you'll have to buy an Xbox! They're just the thing to buy if you want to do horifically bad in your studies! I have to hide mine during exam times, if i dont i end up playing it :frown: Haven't been to oxford. We got the choice of Cam or Oxford and many more seem to be applying to Cam. I love the city though. I love it!!!! Its so nice, the only city i had been to a lot before that was London, but Cambridge is so different! Its great! I could easily live there for 3 years, at least :smile:

Hmm, im lucky as im only about an hour away from Cam, so getting to the interview wont be so bad. You considered train? Might be able to go direct into London and then go from there to Cam. STEP's scary, seeing as i know so many people who missed their offer because of it :frown: I cant even seem to fully complete questions on it as it is, but speeding through C3 and C4 so that i can get started on I and II !
Reply 943
Definitely do it. FP1's a nice module - I love induction and complex numbers, although roots of polynomials annoyed me.

Might have got carried away, and this is just the maths (and the lime cycle). There's chemistry on the wall next to it. Physics didn't take up much room because it was just suvat and a few stock phrases :tongue:

Very stubborn :tongue: I've always been fairly mathsy/sciencey, I've just begun to love it recently :tongue:

OMG I HAVE A WALL EXACTLY LIKE THAT. Well its a cork board to be exact :tongue:
Reply 944
Original post by BeccaCath94

Wow!! Your 4 A levels were very similar! What do you want to do at uni or as a career?

Mathematics i hope, but because of the open-ness of the degree i would like to do financial mathematics as well, incase i go into finance :smile:
Original post by Jampolo
OMG I HAVE A WALL EXACTLY LIKE THAT. Well its a cork board to be exact :tongue:

That's a cupboard, with my old parade shoes on it. :smile:

2 sheets on matrices, 1 on roots of polynomials, 1 on complex numbers and 1 on summing. Mainly formulae, I suck at remembering things. :tongue:
Reply 946
That's a cupboard, with my old parade shoes on it. :smile:

2 sheets on matrices, 1 on roots of polynomials, 1 on complex numbers and 1 on summing. Mainly formulae, I suck at remembering things. :tongue:

I just two sheets full of physics formulae, one for trig ratios, C3 differentiation, C3 integrations, C4 differentiation, C4 binomial expansion, C3 trigonometry, and then just random stuff!
Reply 947
confused over oxford or cambridge nw!!! :mad2:
Original post by Jampolo
ah, i took the impossible D1 exam, such a crap exam. Scraped an A, but OCR really screwed a lot of people over.

I did that, had a look at AS maths before i started, and even started self teaching, but it was the wrong exam board :facepalm: , i swear my college said they were on Edexcel :tongue: I hated AS phyiscs coursework enough to drop it. We were sort of totally left on our own, i managed to get an A on it somehow :tongue: got exactly 80% :wink: Ah no you'll have to buy an Xbox! They're just the thing to buy if you want to do horifically bad in your studies! I have to hide mine during exam times, if i dont i end up playing it :frown: Haven't been to oxford. We got the choice of Cam or Oxford and many more seem to be applying to Cam. I love the city though. I love it!!!! Its so nice, the only city i had been to a lot before that was London, but Cambridge is so different! Its great! I could easily live there for 3 years, at least :smile:

Hmm, im lucky as im only about an hour away from Cam, so getting to the interview wont be so bad. You considered train? Might be able to go direct into London and then go from there to Cam. STEP's scary, seeing as i know so many people who missed their offer because of it :frown: I cant even seem to fully complete questions on it as it is, but speeding through C3 and C4 so that i can get started on I and II !

I'll have that as the mock, I reckon my teacher'll fix the question then make up a mark scheme himself.

That must have been annoying :tongue: My teachers were brilliant with the coursework, I managed full marks somehow. I did a 18-page lab report on lenses and a presentation on the use of steel in the barrels of rifles but unfortunately I couldn't bring in any props for that one. :frown: A2 = 25-page lab report on the charge to mass ratio of an electron (we started the coursework on the week before FP1, meaning I had 3 exams to do whilst keeping on top of coursework) which was actually really interesting, although it took ages to get the equipment working. And I wasn't allowed to do it unsupervised because I was using ~5kV :cool:

No money! :eek: Otherwise I'd have a 360 by now :tongue: I've got a computer that I use for games occasionally but I need a new keyboard :tongue: Cambridge does look nice but I don't think I'd be able to afford to get there :frown: Eww, I'm determined to do STEP, even if I don't get an offer needing it. But it'll take me a while because I'm trying to teach myself other stuff at the same time *is jealous of people who do A-Level Maths in Year 12*
Original post by Jampolo
I just two sheets full of physics formulae, one for trig ratios, C3 differentiation, C3 integrations, C4 differentiation, C4 binomial expansion, C3 trigonometry, and then just random stuff!

C3 and C4 already? Woah :tongue:

I'm too busy trying to finish Stats 3 before I get back to school :tongue:
Original post by Rahul.S
confused over oxford or cambridge nw!!! :mad2:

You don't have to apply to either, y'know. The way you've posted it implies that you're just applying to one because it's Oxbridge, not because you like the course itself.
Reply 952
You don't have to apply to either, y'know. The way you've posted it implies that you're just applying to one because it's Oxbridge, not because you like the course itself.

both courses are good...ive been to cambridge and experianced the lectures over a 4 day residential stay. in some aspects the oxford maths course is better.....but in others so is cam....i have to decide by next week! :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
both courses are good...ive been to cambridge and experianced the lectures over a 4 day residential stay. in some aspects the oxford maths course is better.....but in others so is cam....i have to decide by next week! :colone:

Ah okey dokes. Lucky :tongue:

I've been to Oxford with a few others from my school and the admissions guy from Merton (where we ate) gave us a chat and then we went on a tour. Then we went to the Pitt Rivers museum and my chemistry teacher went on a rant about how Richard Dawkins is a knob. :tongue:

Good luck with your decision. What other unis are you looking at?
Reply 954
Ah okey dokes. Lucky :tongue:

I've been to Oxford with a few others from my school and the admissions guy from Merton (where we ate) gave us a chat and then we went on a tour. Then we went to the Pitt Rivers museum and my chemistry teacher went on a rant about how Richard Dawkins is a knob. :tongue:

Good luck with your decision. What other unis are you looking at?

the others are warwick, imperial, ucl and kingz :biggrin:
Original post by Rahul.S
the others are warwick, imperial, ucl and kingz :biggrin:

Ouch, no safety nets there :tongue:
Reply 956
Ouch, no safety nets there :tongue:

safety nets? :confused: allow them moist talks
Original post by twig
Here you go :smile::

Find the value of 1002100!+n=1100n23n+1Sn\frac{100^{2}}{100!}+ \sum_{n=1}^{100}|n^{2}-3n+1|S_{n}, where SnS_{n} is a G.P. with first term n1n!\frac{n-1}{n!} and common ratio 1n\frac{1}{n}

The question is quite fiddly/long, not anything neat as your one, but its the closest to a suitable series Q I could find. "Should" be quite straightforward (especially for you!).

(I am terrible with Latex, so there could be an error btw...)

I remember doing a question exactly like this at some point... remind me where it comes from
Reply 958
Original post by TheMagicMan
I remember doing a question exactly like this at some point... remind me where it comes from

It's from an exam for some uni/olympiad in Asia, I think. (Got it from an old book at home...)

THe solution:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
I wanted to do Stats GCSE - when we picked our options in Year 9 I chose Stats but the old head of maths was like 'oh, there's not enough maths teachers!' so I ended up doing Food Tech with an absolute bitch of a teacher who I hated and ended up getting a D. :tongue:

A phase I now regret :tongue:

Awww :frown: We had no maths choices in year 9 but still....thats very mean if you wanted to do it!!

Original post by Jampolo
Mathematics i hope, but because of the open-ness of the degree i would like to do financial mathematics as well, incase i go into finance :smile:

Ooh cool that sounds good :biggrin: Theres a few places that do a specific finacial maths degree: i think lancaster, sheffield and somewhere else :smile:

Latest