:console:
Apply to Anti- UKCAT uni's
Perhaps consider the BMAT?
Original post by The Polar Dude

:console:
Apply to Anti- UKCAT uni's
Perhaps consider the BMAT?

I want to apply for UCL anyway so I have to do the BMAT regardless.

What do you think about Barts? Online it says last year was 2400+, I've got 2580. I don't know :frown:
Original post by Loulibelle

What do you think about Barts? Online it says last year was 2400+, I've got 2580. I don't know :frown:

I'm not too sure, but in 2009 it was quite high, then in 2010 they lowered it, not too sure at all

Heck, I haven't even sat mines so I need to talk more UKCAT and less about uni's in the meantime
Original post by Erotas

Original post by Erotas
Did my UKCAT yesterday and got 717.5 average. Will I be okay applying to Kings, Newcastle, and Leicester? Research tells me I should be fine but I don't want to be missing anything. Also which unis put more emphasis on the UKCAT from Southampton and Nottingham?

Finally I got 560 for VR. Will this affect my application even though I've got above 800 for DA and AR and 700 for QR?

Thanks!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Nottingham prefer consistent scores across all sections?
Reply 6784
Original post by oHellno
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Nottingham prefer consistent scores across all sections?

I know that they score each section separately. So do you think the 800 and 810 would compensate for the 560? :L Or do you think Southampton would put more emphasis on the UKCAT since they don't interview?
Original post by Erotas

Original post by Erotas
I know that they score each section separately. So do you think the 800 and 810 would compensate for the 560? :L Or do you think Southampton would put more emphasis on the UKCAT since they don't interview?

I would assume that Southampton look at it more, but I really don't know tbh. I would like to think 800s outweigh 560, but these unis are sly, you never know with them :tongue:
Reply 6786
Well done! I've researched every medical school in england and with that score you are fine with kings, leciester
Newcastle? There's a lot of speculation, I'm not too sure

How was DA? Was it easier than 600Q official PT, Kaplan?

Thank you!! I thought Newcastle had a cut off point of around 685 or something like that last year right?

What are the minimum GCSE grades you'd say I should have to be 'safe' applying to Kings with my UKCAT?

DA was a little harder than the 600Q, can't really remember the official tests, but assuming similar to kaplan since I got about the same score. But the codes I got were quite long, and ambiguous too - lots of neg, neg etc.
Original post by Erotas
Thank you!! I thought Newcastle had a cut off point of around 685 or something like that last year right?

What are the minimum GCSE grades you'd say I should have to be 'safe' applying to Kings with my UKCAT?

DA was a little harder than the 600Q, can't really remember the official tests, but assuming similar to kaplan since I got about the same score. But the codes I got were quite long, and ambiguous too - lots of neg, neg etc.

Thanks for the tip!
Well you got over 700 comfortably, so I'll say roughly 2,3,4 A* and over should be ok, well that's what I've been hearing in other threads :tongue:

Also, were there a lot of similar answers to choose from? Did that make it harder? And how long would u advise to spend on each code

Thanks
Reply 6788
Thanks for the tip!
Well you got over 700 comfortably, so I'll say roughly 2,3,4 A* and over should be ok, well that's what I've been hearing in other threads :tongue:

Also, were there a lot of similar answers to choose from? Did that make it harder? And how long would u advise to spend on each code

Thanks

Thank youuu :biggrin:

Yes, there were a lot of similar answers which did waste time! But you just have to make sure that every part of the code is in the answer. So between two similar answers ask yourself what is the difference? And then that makes it easier to see which one it should be. I usually decode the question without looking at the answers for the shorter codes and make a sentence in my head so that when I look at the answers, one jumps out because it's so similar to the one in my head. Seems as though it worked :P

For the longer ones, eliminate the answer choices as you work your way through the code. Don't know if you use paper to write out the codes - but I didn't. To be honest with you, this is the only section where I do not look at the clock for each question but you should be able to comfortably do each one under a minute with time to spare at the end.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Erotas
Thank youuu :biggrin:

Yes, there were a lot of similar answers which did waste time! But you just have to make sure that every part of the code is in the answer. So between two similar answers ask yourself what is the difference? And then that makes it easier to see which one it should be. I usually decode the question without looking at the answers for the shorter codes and make a sentence in my head so that when I look at the answers, one jumps out because it's so similar to the one in my head. Seems as though it worked :P

For the longer ones, eliminate the answer choices as you work your
I'm on my iPod touch so I can't quote properly but thanks very much!
Can I ask if you do choose to apply to kings, what were your GCSE's?

Hope this helps :smile:

Sorry, I'm on my itouch so I had to cut some of your writing but thanks very much!
Can I ask if you do choose to apply to kings, what were your GCSE's?
Original post by Loulibelle

This years cutoff was 642.5 so you're just over that.

Though I'm told that for 2012 entry onwards the dean wants to improve the adverage UCAS tariff of people getting into the medical school so the cutoff should (if I'm informed correctly) be 600, and then they decide who to interview on a UCKAT-UCAS tariff sliding scale. So your UKCAT score could be alright for BATL if you are predicted good grades (best to do 4 A2s if you can to improve your chances with BATL)

All is not lost :noway:
:woo:
Scored 707.5 on my UKCAT today, messed up the VR due to nerves and got 560, but got 780, 720 and 770 on QR, AR and DA respectively. I'm so ridiculously happy with these results.
Original post by Normandy114
Scored 707.5 on my UKCAT today, messed up the VR due to nerves and got 560, but got 780, 720 and 770 on QR, AR and DA respectively. I'm so ridiculously happy with these results.

Well done :smile: That score will get you considered by most unis (assuming you have a good PS, grades, reference etc :tongue:)
Reply 6793

Congratulations :thumbsup:

Great score :biggrin:

Off the top of my head, the only place you won't be able to apply to with that is Sheffield (717.5 cut-off last year). But that might go down this year!

Congrats again!
Original post by tbag1
Congratulations :thumbsup:

Great score :biggrin:

Off the top of my head, the only place you won't be able to apply to with that is Sheffield (717.5 cut-off last year). But that might go down this year!

Congrats again!

Thanks, my GCSEs aren't good enough for there anyway, their loss :tongue:
Have you done yours yet? How did it go if so?
Reply 6795
Thanks, my GCSEs aren't good enough for there anyway, their loss :tongue:
Have you done yours yet? How did it go if so?

I got 710 average, so just pipped you at the post :wink: :aetsch:

:lol: Just kidding :wink:

Pretty pleased with my score! Thought I'd messed it up by only starting revision 3 days before, but I got away with it like!
Original post by tbag1
I got 710 average, so just pipped you at the post :wink: :aetsch:

:lol: Just kidding :wink:

Pretty pleased with my score! Thought I'd messed it up by only starting revision 3 days before, but I got away with it like!

I would have beaten you by a long way if VR wasn't included :tongue:
Well done though, my revision consisted of casually reading the 600q book for the past couple of months, and a lot of practice tests over the past couple of days.
Reply 6797
I would have beaten you by a long way if VR wasn't included :tongue:
Well done though, my revision consisted of casually reading the 600q book for the past couple of months, and a lot of practice tests over the past couple of days.

:lol: Yeah it was my lowest section by quite a bit too!

Yeah, I didn't even casually read it. I looked at my 600Q book for the first time on the Monday, and my exam was on Thursday morning of the same week! Definitely not advisable! :lol:

Well dooone! :biggrin:

Just started my PS... oh the joys :rolleyes:
Original post by manic_fuzz
Well dooone! :biggrin:

Just started my PS... oh the joys :rolleyes:

I handed my draft in about a month ago, haven't worked on it at all since :erm:
Gotta work on that as well as my extended project over the next week before school, to at least make it seem like i've been working hard this summer :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending