The Student Room Group

Oxford 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by barefootfiona
Yes, I do :biggrin: But it's not as bad now as it was ten years ago, and now people seem to think it's a geeky thing to be proud of! Weird, huh? :wink:

I'm glad I could make you feel a little better :smile: My whole last year has been a mixture of "I'm excited" and "oh god please don't make me go, where's the exit", honestly more the latter. Only in the last few weeks has the balance started to shift, and so I totally get the whole feeling ambiguous but still being excited thing.

German at Exeter. You?

I'm doing Biological sciences at St Hilda's.
So much to sort out, it's actually quite stressful whilst at the same time being very exciting. Packing, work experience, finishing my reading list (I left it really late!) and making sure the family know how to look after my cat is very taxing! But It'll be worth it in the end :biggrin:
Has anyone not recieved anything at all from their college? I haven't and its worrying me slightly:s
And also... is there a reading list for the biochemists??
I haven't heard anything from my college yet so I was just wondering what gowns I need to get, and what i need for subfusc. (Would a black skirt and white shirt do for girls?) Some links for the former would be nice (:
Reply 3123
Original post by hattierosie
I haven't heard anything from my college yet so I was just wondering what gowns I need to get, and what i need for subfusc. (Would a black skirt and white shirt do for girls?) Some links for the former would be nice (:

This page should have everything you need (to know and buy).
Original post by JAR12
I've started to learn (read: pronounce) Old English words and despite my initial scepticism, it's so fun! Even if I don't understand the words, I love the lyricism and Germanic/Scandinavian epic feel of the whole thing. There's a translation, thankfully, but my Beowulf (by Heaney) only has the Old English for the first page :frown: I want the whole thing! Anyone have a better copy? I have the Faber & Faber edition 2000 (ISBN: 0-571-20376-0). I must get more Old English poetry!
Anyone else enjoying it? :smile:
I'm so looking forward to learning it now. I thought I wouldn't enjoy the Anglo-Saxon modules (or medieval), but I think I am going to love the Anglo-Saxon now! :smile: :smile:

I have the same edition of Beowulf, I really enjoyed reading it in translation so hope I'll remember that when it gets to translating it! I found a lot of Old English stuff on Google Books, I don't know if that will help; I think there was an anthology of Old and Middle English that had a lot of bits of the originals and translations. I've read through bits of the guide to Old English, but I need to really sit down and get my head around it, particularly the new symbols and sounds (thorn!).
Reply 3125
Original post by shinobi93
I have the same edition of Beowulf, I really enjoyed reading it in translation so hope I'll remember that when it gets to translating it! I found a lot of Old English stuff on Google Books, I don't know if that will help; I think there was an anthology of Old and Middle English that had a lot of bits of the originals and translations. I've read through bits of the guide to Old English, but I need to really sit down and get my head around it, particularly the new symbols and sounds (thorn!).

I have yet to read a page, let alone the whole thing! I went through saying each original stanza quietly and establishing a beat, before looking at the translation.
Original post by hattierosie
I'm 5'1 and not even 100 pounds - honestly, you will do fine! That's also not too extravogant (as long as thats a yearly fee and im assuming) (:

Haha, awesome. I just checked and it's £50 for the year. We'll have to go to the free session and check it out :smile:
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Does this mean girls can't get away with a smart shirt and black trousers (particularly for society drinks and JCR cocktails, both in freshers' week for me)? I think I need to buy some smart clothes :frown:

You could probably get away with it for those sorts of things, as long as the dress code isn't specifically quoted as black tie. Especially in fresher's week, nothing is very formal then! For balls, special dinners and black tie entz/bops? No. Unfortunately for some events dresses are obligatory, much to my bemusement! Like I said before, one or two cocktail dresses should do it, and you can get them cheap from charity shops or other retailers in the city. But I would recommend turning up with them - I didn't, and was in a bit of a hurry securing one before the first event!
Thanks, that's helpful. The only dress I currently own is a floor-length one that I've worn to two school leavers' balls, so I suppose I'll have to let my mum take me shopping ...

The posh stuff was a bit of a culture shock when I arrived, but you get used to it. After a while, you start to enjoy the chances to look classy :biggrin: Is your college putting on a ball this year, do you know?
Original post by billieerin23
Scandinavian languages would be a lot of fun actually, that's a real shame. I'm very envious of your German language skills! I did Latin for GCSE and quite enjoyed that but gave it up because I thought it wasn't very useful (being a dead language and all) but actually lots of Medieval Sources seem to be in Latin (I'm doing History) so I might see if I can learn that because I know the basics already (I'm a bit of a linguistic hamster too). I'm finding Medieval History really interesting.

It's so awesome that you're looking forward to your course so much! And as you're a linguistic hamster, I'm sure a language will find a place in your schedule :biggrin:

Speaking of linguistic geekiness, I went to Oxford yesterday (it's close enough that I go regularly) with the intention of buying some dresses for black tie events and going out. What did I come back with? A £22 Icelandic dictionary and a tube of fancy soap. And the soap is a housewarming gift for a friend. ><
Original post by LtCommanderData
I know the feeling! It's bizarre, but all summer I've felt like I just want to get on with university rather than have this long break!

I'm doing maths with computer science :biggrin:

Oh cool! That co-ordinates so well with your icon it's insane :biggrin:
Have you been emailed your ID/ sent the accomodation stuff yet? I haven't :s-smilie:
Original post by pieceofheaven
Oh cool! That co-ordinates so well with your icon it's insane :biggrin:
Have you been emailed your ID/ sent the accomodation stuff yet? I haven't :s-smilie:

:biggrin:

I just got an email from Exeter with how to log on to the site with all the info in it! Bit overwhelming really, how much information there is!

I just got an email from Exeter with how to log on to the site with all the info in it! Bit overwhelming really, how much information there is!

Me too yayy!
:biggrin: :biggrin:

okay now to actually read it... :ahee:
I've no idea!
I quite like the idea of posh clothes, I'd just rather wear a dinner jacket (not that I possess one!) than a dress :colondollar:

College Balls are awesome, if expensive, and you should really try and go to one if you can :smile: Catz had theirs last year and it was amazing, the whole college was decked out like a circus, there was great music and an amazing selection of (free!) food and drink on offer. Plus a 6-course meal, which was the best I think I've ever had. Each college tends to run a ball every three years, and they're all on a similar scale, so everyone gets the chance to go at least once in their time at Oxford. And that's not counting going to other colleges' ones...

Oh, me too - right up until I started wearing them regularly out of necessity, then I started to like it more. Still prefer trousers though. Dresses are cold, and I tend to have accidents in high heels. Getting a double-take from your male friends is worth it though :cool:
Magdalen are putting on their Commemoration Ball this year, I'm pretty excited at the thought of it. The photos I saw from the 2009 one looked phenomenal.
Hi, Haven't been on this thread in a while (still recovering from the shock of getting my grades) so just wondering if i missed anyone applying to St Anne's or anyone doing biological sciences or ideally a combo of the two. Also im sure this has already been mentioned but what date is everyone going up? Thanks!
Original post by Sophies4int
Hi, Haven't been on this thread in a while (still recovering from the shock of getting my grades) so just wondering if i missed anyone applying to St Anne's or anyone doing biological sciences or ideally a combo of the two. Also im sure this has already been mentioned but what date is everyone going up? Thanks!

Hey Im going to St Anne's too - but for biochemistry :smile:
I've already mentioned this in a previous post, but have you got anything from them yet? Most people from other colleges on here seem to have heard from theirs :frown:

Umm... is your finance guide empty too?
It's so awesome that you're looking forward to your course so much! And as you're a linguistic hamster, I'm sure a language will find a place in your schedule :biggrin:

Speaking of linguistic geekiness, I went to Oxford yesterday (it's close enough that I go regularly) with the intention of buying some dresses for black tie events and going out. What did I come back with? A £22 Icelandic dictionary and a tube of fancy soap. And the soap is a housewarming gift for a friend. ><

Hehe that made me smile. Your professors would be very proud :-) I actually think the dictionary's a very good investment, my French dictionary cost me a fortune last year (it's so heavy I can barely carry it upstairs) but it's been so useful with the Tocqueville. Thank you! I do love History. But I guess we must all love our subjects to have gotten in? You certainly seem to love yours, you go above and beyond the call of Modern Languages in a truly Oxford way!
Umm... is your finance guide empty too?

Haha, yep! I wonder if that means we get a free year or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending