The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by nightmare91
Thanks :biggrin:. Hope hard work pays off. Btw have you finished all your application stuff already? Like PS and reference etc.? I am still waiting for my teacher to write me the reference... :frown:

Me too!
I have done my PS (pretty much) but my reference probably won't be done for a while (not that it matters, there is still well over a month to go!)

Original post by expopyro
hmmmm i've looked at that thread, it says warwick are hard on gcses (9A* at least) is this still true, where is everyone else applying to?

According to a Warwick admissions tutor, No.
Reply 1881

hmmmm i've looked at that thread, it says warwick are hard on gcses (9A* at least) is this still true, where is everyone else applying to?

I don't think so. My sister got an offer last year with 8 A*s at GCSE.
Original post by Groat
Thanks! Did you do the sandwich course at Bath? :u:

Yes I did :u:
Reply 1883
omg everyone is scaring me so much on here! thought my grades were really good..not thinking that so much anymore and everyone is so prepared! i'm still unsure whether i'm applying for econ or law!

That worries me, I am going to apply but have only 3 A*, 5A and 2C.
Although if you go on my thread called 4A*'s.... there is econight who got in with 2A* and 7A.
besides, where did you get 9 from, I heard 7 ?
Hey, sorry to intrude,
I just got my GCSE results 9A*s and an A (in geo :angry:) this should hinder me in anyway should, just wondering about LSE tbh
^^i know I sound so insecure and pedantic but would just like some reassurance as I was predicted all A*s and am slightly down (I know I shouldn't be but urgh)
Original post by tooambitious
Hey, sorry to intrude,
I just got my GCSE results 9A*s and an A (in geo :angry:) this should hinder me in anyway should, just wondering about LSE tbh
^^i know I sound so insecure and pedantic but would just like some reassurance as I was predicted all A*s and am slightly down (I know I shouldn't be but urgh)

that's many more than me and I'm still applying :tongue:

your GCSEs are good enough, but make sure you focus on your A levels. They're more important than any amount of A* GCSEs you have gotten. There are straight A students in my school who gave up on their dream of entering a decent university after results day.
Reply 1887
Original post by economyst

Although if you go on my thread called 4A*'s.... there is econight who got in with 2A* and 7A.

it was from the link Dumb Economist gave me,
Reply 1888
Hey, sorry to intrude,

There good enough for the best. Just forget about GCSEs now and relax for the couple of weeks you have left off. After that, it'll all start again and you'll need really good AS results to keep the dream alive. You have good enough GCSEs for them to act in your favour (as opposed to being poor and disadvantaging you) so I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on AS.
Reply 1889
Original post by zxh800
There good enough for the best. Just forget about GCSEs now and relax for the couple of weeks you have left off. After that, it'll all start again and you'll need really good AS results to keep the dream alive. You have good enough GCSEs for them to act in your favour (as opposed to being poor and disadvantaging you) so I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on AS.

Agreed. Also, don't get complacent! That happened to a lot of people I know, who got much better GCSEs that me (I've posted mine somewhere on this thread - they weren't bad, but defintiely not fantastic, and I know I could've done better). They were all continuing with the min. work and are now resitting modules.
Original post by zxh800
There good enough for the best. Just forget about GCSEs now and relax for the couple of weeks you have left off. After that, it'll all start again and you'll need really good AS results to keep the dream alive. You have good enough GCSEs for them to

act in your favour (as opposed to being poor and disadvantaging you) so I wouldn't worry about it. Just focus on AS.

Original post by CloClo7
Agreed. Also, don't get complacent! That happened to a lot of people I know, who got much better GCSEs that me (I've posted mine somewhere on this thread - they weren't bad, but
defintiely not fantastic, and I know I could've done better). They were all continuing with the min. work and are now resitting modules.

Thanks guys :smile:, made me feel better, dot worry I'll work hard aiming for above 95% on average (even though I want to apply on Oxford) thanks a lot
Original post by perrytheplatypus
that's many more than me and I'm still applying :tongue:

your GCSEs are good enough, but make sure you focus on your A levels. They're more important than any
amount of A* GCSEs you have gotten. There are straight A students in my school who gave up on their dream of entering a decent university after results day.

Sorry didn't quote you, but see above :smile:
Reply 1892

Original post by VCR
I don't think so. My sister got an offer last year with 8 A*s at GCSE.

It's all rumours, ignore it
Reply 1893
Hey, sorry to intrude,

No it won't hinder you.

Just concentrate really hard on your A-levels, good A-levels make up for poor GCSEs but unfortunately it doesn't work the other way round.
Reply 1894
Thanks guys :smile:, made me feel better, dot worry I'll work hard aiming for above 95% on average (even though I want to apply on Oxford) thanks a lot

It's good to do this anyway; LSE and UCL are (apparently) asking for UMS this cycle, other universities might start too, it's hard work getting 95% but trust me it's worth it come results day :tongue:
Original post by Tateco
It's good to do this anyway; LSE and UCL are (apparently) asking for UMS this cycle, other universities might start too, it's hard work getting 95% but trust me it's worth it come results day :tongue:

Oh yes of course, people have been saying Oxford will be asking for UMS, is this true? Definitely going to murder my ASs, btw well done your results are amazing!
Reply 1896
Oh yes of course, people have been saying Oxford will be asking for UMS, is this true? Definitely going to murder my ASs, btw well done your results are amazing!

Not sure, I've never really been interested in Oxford! :tongue:

Thanks very much :smile: AS levels are much better than GCSEs, you get to do only subjects you enjoy so you can really motivate yourself, it definitely helped me having something high to aim for so it's good you know what you want to do early on! :smile:
Reply 1897
Original post by gradjobplease
Yes I did :u:

Where did you work? :u: I'm hoping Bath is going to be my insurance offer. :s-smilie:
Reply 1898
Original post by gradjobplease
HMT, and I'll be going back to them in 2 weeks, check profile/sig :u:

That sounds excellent! Do you know how much preference Bath have for Further Maths?
Original post by Groat
That sounds excellent! Do you know how much preference Bath have for Further Maths?

I won't be able to give you a definitive answer I don't think. I got in without doing it, some did AS Further, others did A level Further.

Regardless, Further Maths A level will stand you in very good stead for the maths you will have to do in your degree anyway, so I'd recommend doing it if you think you can do well in it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending